Author Topic: IOS ports to 3DS ware - Yay or Nay?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
IOS ports to 3DS ware - Yay or Nay?
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
While I was browsing the eshop last night, I got to thinking--  I really want companies to try and make a quick buck off of me and port IOS games to the eshop, either in 3D form or plain old 2D form.  This may sound crazy, but bear with me here.

My wife has an Iphone which I used to buy games for, but I don't anymore, even if there is a 99cent sale.  I bought games likes Dead Space, NBA Jam, SSF4, that Capcom arcade thing, some vertical or side scrolling shooters.  I tried them once, and never played them again.  Why?  You know why.  Because the controls suck donkey nuts.  For Angry birds or whatever, IOS controls are fine.  But that Dead Space game, I played it for 2 minutes and gave up because in order to control Isaac or whoever, my big fat thumbs are covering half of the Iphone's screen most of the time so I can't see anything.  I'm sure this is not an issue with the Ipad, but it was game-breaking for me on the Iphone's tiny screen.

On the 3DS, however....this would be all kinds of awesome.  Circle pad, buttons, all these would resurrect this game for me, along with plenty of others.  That Simpsons arcade game?  Awesome.  R-Type?  Awesome.

I know companies like Gameloft liked to bring their games over to DSIware, but those games sucked.   But EA or Capcom, that would be another story.  I would be more than happy to pay for those games again for the ability to play them with buttons, dpads, and sticks.   

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: IOS ports to 3DS ware - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »
I would kill for Pix'n Love Rush with physical controls.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:29:32 PM »
I think iPhone ports are a pretty safe bet, considering we got them on DS/DSi. Which ones, now that's a good question.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »
For the original DS the problem was the vast difference in processing power, we'll see how it pans out for 3DS.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:11:55 PM »
It's going to happen, but yuck. There is casual, then there are the Dinner Dash crowd casual. I enjoy the odd casual game with friends and what not, but I find iOS games to be in a pit of terrible I rather not have. Virtually every single one are slapped together for 88cents to be sold for 99cents. The price isn't even the issue, it's it just doesn't meet a minimum level of gaming I expect and formed by uncountable number of hours of gaming.

When I had access to an iPhone and unlimited games for a couple of days, I could hand pick the top games out for that system. After playing some of the very best it could offer, I asked, would I buy an iPhone for this? Do I enjoy these games enough to even consider paying a dollar for this? The answer was no every time. I rather I pay 20 dollars for the first Phoenix Wright game or Dr Driller that was a GBA port which has 20 year old graphics than pay a single dollar for Unreal on the iOS or it's ports regardless of system.

It's not just the controls, it the fact these games are inherently disposable. Candy you give to kids to shut them up. It's the deep fried food of videogames. With videogames I have a choice, I rather have the Steak than the Hamburger, but will rather have nothing than have the Hamburger.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
If you think all iPhone games are that disposable, you clearly haven't played the best games on the platform. Granted, 99% of the games on the App Store are garbage, but given that there are over 100,000 on there, there's still a lot of good stuff there. 

The thing is, though, most of the good iOS games are designed around the input methods possible on that platform. Porting those could be problematic, because they often wouldn't work as well with the stylus-based touch screen of the 3DS, and in some cases would be very difficult because of the implementation of multi-touch.

There are, however, some prominent examples of iOS games that are very creative and interesting, but suffer because of the lack of physical buttons and directional input. The one I mentioned earlier in the thread, Pix'n Love Rush, would be absolutely perfect for 3DSWare, as it's a retro-styled arcade platformer that is awesome, but would be so, so much better with a d-pad and buttons. I would love to see some of those games come to 3DSWare.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
I hope they hand dev kits out easier, or will start. THey want the 3ds Eshop to be a real market but aren;t showing it by giving dev kits to people.

THey even want to kill the WARE name and call them 3ds eshop games etc to make them sound more legit. I would love world of goo on 3ds. I would love puzzle games that are fun on there as well

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »
All I know is that I'd buy Game Dev Story in a second if it were released on the eShop.