Author Topic: Dear Nintendo: Free e-Shop idea.  (Read 2323 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Dear Nintendo: Free e-Shop idea.
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »
Dear Nintendo,

Follow me here: Animal Crossing: New Leaf is coming out.  Got me to thinking about the original (in the US, at least) Animal Crossing for the Game Cube.  Which got me thinking about the e-Reader.  Which got me to thinking...

Who remembers all the fun e-Reader exclusive Pokemon-themed mini-games that were included in dot-code form on the Pokemon Trading Cards?  Yeah, no one.  Because about a dozen people bothered to buy the e-Reader and only about three people cared enough to get the necessary Pokemon cards to play all of the mini-games.

So... why not re-release the mini-game as 99 cent e-Shop downloads?  Maybe in packs of three for $3?

Some of these mini-games were pretty awesome.  It's a shame to think that so many people will never get to play them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Nintendo: Free e-Shop idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
hm.... nobody seems to care about this thread.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Not a bad idea, i just had to point out the irony in all that

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
It'd be nice if you could use the games to set up little arcades. I remember some of those games (of what I played) being fun, but just a pain in the ass to swipe all those cards.

They might have to rebrand the games though or just swap out the Pokemon for other (generic) characters.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
It'd be nice if you could use the games to set up little arcades. I remember some of those games (of what I played) being fun, but just a pain in the ass to swipe all those cards.

They might have to rebrand the games though or just swap out the Pokemon for other (generic) characters.

'meh, leave the Pokemon in - it'll help them sell. :D

I can't imagine that this isn't a better idea than just porting iOS/Android games over.  I mean, sure, do both - but these old e-Reader games are about on the scale of Smartphone games *and* feature Pokemon.  Something new, different and exciting (for most people).

Of course, there could be issues regarding who actually owns the rights to the games.  I'd like to say Nintendo (or, at least, The Pokemon Company) owns them - but, I wonder if the fact they were published on Hasbro trading cards has any bearing on who owns them or how Nintendo can distribute them.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
I think Nintendo's cheapest DSiWare apps are $2, so I honestly think that's a more likely pricepoint than $0.99. I get the sense that Nintendo, while willing to go cheap or F2P in theory, will need a good reason to actually hit a $0.99 pricepoint because of internal philosophical concerns about gaming at that price.

Otherwise I support this idea!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
If they're in-game DLC, I think that makes it more reasonable. They're not 99cent apps, they're 99cent DLC fun time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
UncleBob:  This idea would be perfect as the "new" NES game collection from the Gamecube Animal Crossing.  I loved being able to purchase those games and it made Animal Crossing a much better experience.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »
If they're in-game DLC, I think that makes it more reasonable. They're not 99cent apps, they're 99cent DLC fun time.

This would be great for all of the e-Reader cards. The GBA version of Mario Brothers 3 had extra levels on e-Cards and they could easily sell 'level packs' on the eShop for those who missed them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast