Author Topic: Touch Screen and Camera Included on Wii Successor's Controller  (Read 8161 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network

Japanese newspaper Nikkei seems to confirm recent rumors.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26521

The Wii successor will include a touch screen and camera, according to Japanese newspaper Nikkei. No source of the information is given.

Seeming to confirm earlier rumors, the upcoming system's controller is said to include a six-inch touch screen, which will allow players to use touch controls to manipulate characters seen on the television screen. It can also be used as a portable game controller, independent of the television.

The included camera can be used to take pictures of players to be used as avatars in-game.

The controller will also include a built-in rechargeable battery.

Nintendo is set to reveal the system, codenamed Project Café, at E3 next Tuesday. According to Nikkei, the system will launch in mid-2012.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Touchscreen and Camera Included on Wii Successor's Controller
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
No offense, Aaron, but you couldn't have given some back story to the article? I already know what you are talking about, but give us at least a link to the "recent rumors".
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Touchscreen and Camera Included on Wii Successor's Controller
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
No offense, Aaron, but you couldn't have given some back story to the article? I already know what you are talking about, but give us at least a link to the "recent rumors".
I'll pre-empt Megabyte.  It's in the side-bar under the Project Cafe stuff but, a direct link to the Rumor Roundup article on the Sidebar would probably be appropriate.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Touch Screen and Camera Included on Wii Successor's Controller
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
Well for anyone that couldn't find the link in the article or next to the article or maybe just want all the rumors that have popped up, here is a link the the NWR Rumor Thread's Rumor Consolidation 2011

http://tinyurl.com/RumorList2011

That should put everyone upto date with even the most current rumors.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
The careful wording of "portable game controller" leads me to believe that, while not a full-fledged handheld gaming console, the touchscreen controller can be used to play Project Cafe games without the need for the TV to be on. Sounds pretty neat! Though, it would just be as neat, though perplexing, if the controller is also a portable console.

A camera sounds really superfluous, but I guess they have spare parts from DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS lying around.

A six inch screen is really big, assuming it is a 16:9. That's 1.7 inches bigger than a Playstation Portable. Hmm, I hope Nintendo has found ways to keep costs down. I already find the $55 and $50 MSRP of the Dualshock 3 and 360 controllers to be a bit much. With all the rumored tech the controller has, I'm guessing a $60 price tag might be hoping for too much.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »
The careful wording of "portable game controller" leads me to believe that, while not a full-fledged handheld gaming console, the touchscreen controller can be used to play Project Cafe games without the need for the TV to be on. Sounds pretty neat! Though, it would just be as neat, though perplexing, if the controller is also a portable console.

A camera sounds really superfluous, but I guess they have spare parts from DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS lying around.

A six inch screen is really big, assuming it is a 16:9. That's 1.7 inches bigger than a Playstation Portable. Hmm, I hope Nintendo has found ways to keep costs down. I already find the $55 and $50 MSRP of the Dualshock 3 and 360 controllers to be a bit much. With all the rumored tech the controller has, I'm guessing a $60 price tag might be hoping for too much.
Thank Cellphones.  The cost of a lot of the components have been driven way down by volumes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »
I'm expecting a $75 price point for each controller.

Possibly with a 1.3mp camera & hopefully a multi-touch screen
I think a lot of the cost will be in the rechargeable battery though.
hopefully it uses that wireless charging tech for the controller so that it's never actually attached to anything and you can just set it on a dock/stand and lift it off when you need to use it again.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
Actually the camera is going to be supplied by the company that does the iPhone's camera. So it isn't just the parts from the DSi/3DS, plus there is chance depending where the camera is mounted that they can use the camera for motion controls (similar to how the Kinect uses a camera) instead of the ir/sensor setup they have been using.

http://kotaku.com/5807243/nintendos-next-console-may-have-something-in-common-with-the-iphone
(The source of the information on the camera)

I think they will be in the 70-to-80 dollar area while a little expansive if it can be used as a portable gaming device in addition to a controller I think it will be a good trade-off.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:29:58 PM by BlkPaladin »
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
Actually the camera is going to be supplied by the company that does the iPhone's camera. So it isn't just the parts from the DSi/3DS, plus there is chance depending where the camera is mounted that they can use the camera for motion controls (similar to how the Kenect uses a camera) instead of the ir/sensor setup they have been using.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg675819#msg675819
(The source of the information on the camera)

I think they will be in the 70-to-80 dollar area while a little expansive if it can be used as a portable gaming device in addition to a controller I think it will be a good trade-off.

Let me fix that for you ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
Well, there goes Zach's prediction.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »
Rechargeable batteries cost very little. I doubt the price will be anywhere near $70 as that would practically kill multiplayer games and just piss off third parties (and potentially cannibalize 3DS sales if you you play games on it). At most, I see it being $50.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
A complete Wiimote cost more than $50 and it doesn't even have the screen. Let's be realistic here.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
But will it be in 3D?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
I bought a 3ds at launch, this better not replace it.

I doubt i'll take a controller to work though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
I think some people have it confused. Since 01net has been pretty spot on so far let's just assume everything they told us in the 2-3 updates they have had are correct. That would mean that  the controllers are nothing more than clients to the console.

That means that ALL of the processing is done on the console and then streamed wirelessly to the controller.

The controller will work like a portable gaming handheld while within range of the console if you choose not to use the TV. It WILL NOT function as it's own separate independent portable gaming device that you can take with you anywhere you want and play at anytime you like. That is what your 3DS is for. This controller (client) will only work when in range from a Café (server). They work together, not independently.
The console is your computer, your controller is your wireless keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
I always thought this would happen (listen to our PAX East panel in March), but I still think 6" is too large for a controller and would be too expensive. That's about the size of the NGP screen!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
Ahem, that's Vita to you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
and it's larger than the vita screen.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »
Maybe Nintendo is willing to take a hit on the controllers when they make a profit on their console.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
I'll pay $89.99 and like it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »
I wouldn't call the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo the complete controller, especially since many games don't even require both. The controller is $40. Plus, Nintendo is not stupid enough to think that a $70+ controller would actually be even remotely successful. As for 01net, I don't think you can say they have been spot on with anything since nothing they have claimed have been confirmed.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »
I don't really like these ideas, it's like they are trying to make the DSi the controller for the system. Their console should have some distinction from their handhelds so I don't really see the point in it, although since handhelds are more popular in Japan then I guess it isn't surprising.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
I wouldn't call the Wii Remote + Nunchuk combo the complete controller, especially since many games don't even require both. The controller is $40. Plus, Nintendo is not stupid enough to think that a $70+ controller would actually be even remotely successful. As for 01net, I don't think you can say they have been spot on with anything since nothing they have claimed have been confirmed.

Every credible source we have has backed up everything 01net has said so far and that includes the Nikkei confirmation from this morning with the 6" screen. If the screen is confirmed by Nikkei and IGN backs up the R700 and a few other details, then someone has got to have something right.
Miyamoto commented on these very rumors and said "where there's smoke there is fire"
so if the original leak has details that are now for the most part confirmed, then I can assume that all the other details they have shared (that have been backed up by other sites with credible sources) to be reliable until proven otherwise. So glad that there are less than 4 days remaining

Oh and the Wiimote+wiiichuck is the complete controller. it cost $60.
if Nintendo is gonna charge $40 for just a wiimote with M+ inside, you would be pretty damn foolish to think they are gonna take all that wiimote tech (with a different camera) + 3x the plastic + a 6" screen + a rechargeable battery + wireless streaming chips + and only charge $10 more for it.

What world are you living in?
$69.99 - $79.99 is the only realistic price point I can see happening.

p.s. Plug and play 360 remote is how much?
and how bout that DS3? or Move wand combo?

Oh and welcome back. I'm sure you were missed.... and thanks for the smites. I wear them with honor.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:53:38 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
MSRP of a 360 controller with a play-and-charge kit is $64.99 (sans play and charge is $49.99). Dualshock 3 is $54.99. Move wand and navigation controller comes to $49.99 + $29.99 = $79.98.

I've been doing some hasty searches to better form my expectations on the controllers pricing. My searches for 6" touchscreen produced some rather pricey results. I poked around in portable DVD players thinking that would be near or above the worth of the Cafe controller as an electronic device and saw prices around $80-100. Perhaps the closest comparison is the $99 DS Lite which has two 3" screens at 62 mm x 46 mm (with an area of 2852 mm sq) each.

After doing some quick math and assuming the 6" screen is 16:9, the size of the screen turns out to be 5.22" x 2.95" with an area of 15.39 sq. in. In millimeters, that's 132.59 mm x 74.93 mm with an area of 9934.97 mm sq. A touchscreen that's nearly three and a half times bigger than the DS touchscreen. That's a big screen on a even bigger controller. It's so big, it is kind of unreal to think about it.

I'm really eager to see what how games will use the secondary screen. From anecdotes, a properly set up session of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is awesome. Also, I've heard good things from Pac Man Vs.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
Hm I can't see the console using any kind of motion or pointer for Cafe games. They will allow wiimotes for backwards compatibility, but for new games? I dont want a console with multiple control options. It also feels like Nintendo's big motion push was for nothing now.

Oh well.. will find out on wednesday morning i spose..
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent