Author Topic: Who can see 3D, who does it make sick? Can you see depth?  (Read 10400 times)

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
Who can see 3D, who does it make sick? Can you see depth?
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »
I found out recently that my eyes are a bit weird, I can see the 3D slightly. I can see some versions of depth but according to an eye test, some of my depth perception is a bit weird and doesn't work so well. I can see most things but I think the 3DS is bearable to me I can not see full 3D. Anyone else having this at all or think 3DS doesn't fully work for them due to their eyes?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Who can see 3D, who does it make sick? Can you see depth?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
I can't see the 3D very well because of eye issues. I can see it a little, but I usually just play with it off to save battery because it doesn't do much for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
I see it perfectly. Sorry.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
I can't see it at all. I only see out of one eye at a time -- both can't function as the same time for me... disfunction known as "strabismus". I hate it.

I really wish I knew what it was like. :(
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »
I see it perfectly. Sorry.

what games have you played in 3d?

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
This is not the first time this has come up on the forums.  I know, because I started a discussion thread on this soon after launch, which died a few weeks ago.  :-)

With that said, I've got 5 3ds games so far:  Pilotwings, Steel Diver, SSF4, Dead or Alive, and Ridge Racer.  I have perfect eyesight, and I see the 3D perfectly.  It is truly beautiful.  Surprisingly, I think Steel Diver's 3D effects look best.   Pilotwings I had to turn down the 3d to half, though after effectively beating it in 20 hours, I think it may have to do with constantly changing the focus of my eyes between the background/horizon and my flying vehicle.  I also noticed that in SSF4, whenever Zangief does a spinning piledriver on my (Ryu), during the end of that when he's got Ryu ass up with his legs splayed out and one foot trying to stick out of the screen, that makes my eyes a little uncomfortable.  Ridge Racer and Dead or Alive look great.  No, make that awesome.  They look awesome.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »
i may buy ridge racer in time. Wanting to play it and just haven't, will be a good test on what my eyes can and can't see, i just don't even know what i am missing, its like a blind guy i am sure, can't see a sunset but they don't know what it is or isn't.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
I see 3D and depth perfectly, but I do sometimes see ghosting but that could be part of a limitation of the 3D tech that 3DS uses. I don't feel sick using it but my eyes feel tired much faster after an extended use.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
I can't see it at all. I only see out of one eye at a time -- both can't function as the same time for me... disfunction known as "strabismus". I hate it.

I really wish I knew what it was like. :(
I can see it and if the world is 3D to you, take a piece of paper cut the rectangle out of the top half of it and then draw a picture on the bottom half.  Put on a window and look at it so you can see the picture and through the hole and that's what the 3D looks like.  Its pretty much looking out a window for most implementation.  Which is how I personally prefer my 3D.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »
I think the 3D sucks. I have perfect vision and can see normal 3D (i.e. movies with 3D glasses) perfectly fine. With the 3DS though, it's just blurry and hurts my eyes to use the 3D, so I usually have it half-way or less. I have Pilotwings Resort, Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (haven't actually played OOT yet).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
The 3D effect looks perfect to me, and I rarely turn it off. My eyes can look between the top screen and touch screen without a hitch, and the sense of depth looks beautiful. It makes even games like Zelda look so much cooler and real than 2D games.
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 08:23:31 AM »
The only extensive time I've spent playing 3DS was with Ocarina of Time 3D. I watched the idle screen intro and played from the beginning to Hyrule Field. I had no problems seeing 3D. Depth is a cool effect though ultimately superfluous. For me, it doesn't add or take away from the game. Reorienting myself to see 3D is mildly inconvenient but hardly a negative. If I owned a 3DS, I'd probably check 3D out for each new game then keep it off.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
The 3D effect looks perfect to me, and I rarely turn it off. My eyes can look between the top screen and touch screen without a hitch, and the sense of depth looks beautiful. It makes even games like Zelda look so much cooler and real than 2D games.
That's me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
I don't have very good depth perception so I went in thinking it's highly likely I couldn't see it at all. I don't have much to really judge it on since I don't own any 3DS games, so I have the menu, built-in software, and the two free eShop downloads. If I turn the slider all the way up, I can see a little bit of depth in the moving objects on the menus and such. In the games, I couldn't really tell what had depth in PokéDex 3D, but I could see it somewhat on the hills and background objects of ExciteBike 3D. I didn't experience any discomfort whilst viewing it, such as eyestrain or headaches, but I never viewed it for longer than a half hour.

Of course, I'm also not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing. Since this screen is really small, I don't think the 3D is supposed to "pop out" like at a movie theater. So I have no idea if I can see what I'm supposed to see.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
I don't have very good depth perception so I went in thinking it's highly likely I couldn't see it at all. I don't have much to really judge it on since I don't own any 3DS games, so I have the menu, built-in software, and the two free eShop downloads. If I turn the slider all the way up, I can see a little bit of depth in the moving objects on the menus and such. In the games, I couldn't really tell what had depth in PokéDex 3D, but I could see it somewhat on the hills and background objects of ExciteBike 3D. I didn't experience any discomfort whilst viewing it, such as eyestrain or headaches, but I never viewed it for longer than a half hour.

Of course, I'm also not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing. Since this screen is really small, I don't think the 3D is supposed to "pop out" like at a movie theater. So I have no idea if I can see what I'm supposed to see.
Play Face Raiders.  The 3D shows up in that game pretty well.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
I can see the 3D fine on both screens.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
I was actually surprised that things can "pop out" from the screen.  However stareing at things that do pop out seems to strain your eyes more than the ones that look further into the screen.  If you want to see something pop out hold something like a pencil towards the camera in camera mode.  You can't move it around to much because if it goes off the edge of the screen it ruins the effect and is actually kind of hard to look at. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:59:26 PM by apdude »

Offline GaMMa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
I can see the 3D and the depth too. PilotWings Resort is painful to play with the slider all the way up for me depending on the vehicle. I think it's because there's a vehicle so close to the screen it makes it hard to focus on things in front of you. I usually play with the 3D turned halfway down.

With Zelda I play with the 3D on full. There's some times where I really don't notice it, but other times I'm like "wow! It's almost like I can touch things!"

Is it me or does the 3D in the Nintendo Video videos seem really low? There doesn't seem to be a ton of depth to them.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
I can see the 3D fine on both screens.

You can see 3D on the 2D lower screen? That's a pretty impressive trick!
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
I have played the system and the 3D effects looks incredible, i dont own it, so i havent played long sessions, lets see when i get one now with the new price cut.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Praefectia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »
3d always used to give me a headache before.
I had to frequently remove mt 3d glasses when I went to the movies.
After using the 3ds for awhile it stopped hurting my head, but I can hardly see the 3d on it anymore.
I assume my brain just decided my right eye* had no idea wtf it was talking about and started ignoring it.

*(I'm left eye dominant)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
I had surgery on the muscles in my right eye, which had always been troublesome, on Wednesday. The next day I noticed that my depth perception seemed better, so I tried the 3DS 3D again, and I could see it. I don't think I get the full thing, but I certainly see more than I did before. I should have a blog post going up about it within the next few days.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shredder565

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
I just got my 3Ds today thanks to the price drop.  To be honest, the 3D doesn't do much for me.  I always think of it a gimmick..although for games it does look cool....

As for viewing it..I'm fine with it in theater...But for the 3DS, it does make my eyes hurt a tad..

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 01:04:14 AM »
It took me a little while but now I can see the 3D just fine. As a sceptic I have to say I'm impressed with and enjoy it. Only problem I had was occasional ghosting when playing OOT which has lessened with time and finding the proper way to hold it.

Offline shainentinpock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
I don't know why by I can't play 3d for more than an hour before getting a headache. I have to shut it off most of the time.
Now they are making the Angry Birds Knock On Wood. I like Angry Birds Knock On Wood. What's next a Fijit Friends