Author Topic: 3ds scratching itself  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
3ds scratching itself
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »
I saw this at neogaf. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430287

Checked my own 3ds and found it to be true.   The rise around the bottom screen is slowly rubbing against the top screen when closed.  Forming small scratches.  Needless to say after I noticed it on my own 3ds, I quickly installed some screen protectors to help prevent any further scratching.

Saw some pictures and heard accounts of others on that thread also experiencing it.  Saw it on my own 3ds.  So I thought I would post it here to give a heads up to anyone else.  I know something like this, if happening on my unit, I would want to know ahead of time to try and prevent any further damage.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 3ds scratching itself
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
Whoa!! Thanks for the heads up man. I've been meaning to buy screen protectors for a while... but not having any games as of right now, I didn't think I really needed them.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy 3DS screen protectors, or which brand you all are using?

Offline Kwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »
My screen protectors came in a kit that I got from amazon.  I had a bunch of credit back when the 3ds came out, so I just bought some simple kit mainly for the car ac adapter.   Mine were made by ICON and came in that 20 dollar kit.

I just installed them this morning but they seem okay after playing with them for a bit..  Can't vouch for how well they work over time or anything.   The first one I messed up getting it installed on the top screen, but got the second one got on fairly easy, with only a slight bubble.  It's not on the screen part though, so it's not that bad.   I can't notice a difference on the touch screen, nor do I notice any visual difference on the top screen.  I also play on the lowest screen brightness.  Not sure if that matters.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »
My "scratches" just wiped right off. It's still a little concerning but before you freak out and send your system back like the guy on neogaf, try cleaning your screen...
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Kwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
I did a quite serious cleaning of mine before installing the screen protectors.  Mine did not wipe off.  The scratches are there however quite light.   Much like the people in that thread mine wasn't that serious but there is an indication of wear.  I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone should panic or do anything drastic.  Just letting some people know, as mine does have a slight amount of scratching from it.

Since mine does have some scratching from it, I prefer to install a screen protector knowing it can happen and was starting to happen.  Perhaps it never would have gotten anymore scratched than it already did. Either way I would prefer to just play it safe since mine did show signs of it.  I just thought I would post it here to give anyone a slight notice.  As I honestly didn't notice mine till I looked for it. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
Hmmm...I've only opened my 3DS like 3 or 4 times, haven't noticed any scratches. I'll probably slap on a screen protector and keep the thin foam piece inside it when it's closed.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »
@Kwolf- Thanks, I'll look at that then.

I don't know, I don't think we should need to worry about protecting a closed system to begin with; It's sorta ridiculous.

Nintendo doesn't package screen protectors with their hand-held's, and we should manage to get by with the bare minimum. That being the packaged product given to us by Nintendo.

And if this is a mark coming from the fact that the bottom screen isn't the same width as the top screen, can we truly protect our system? Overtime, wont these indentations just become deeper to the point where they actually tear the screen protectors? it's not the screen protectors job to ford away endured stress on the screen via these protruding indents. Meaning, it wouldn't be the screen protector manufactures fault if these markings persist, it is at the end of the day, an overlooked issue by Nintendo. (At least I hope it is, I wouldn't feel too great knowing I put down 250+tax for a mistake they knew about.)

Anyways, I guess I'm gonna be doing some unnecessary maintenance to keep my system in check. I don't see any of these reported scratches yet, but It's not like I've been opening and closing my system too much to begin with. Don't laugh at me, but I'm thinking of leaving my 3DS open at this point, but in all honesty, the hinges are probably going to wear out from something like that. I don't know, this is just really disgusting to hear.

(Hmmm... I think I'm gonna send this to RFN or the News cast... it be interesting to hear their thoughts on the matter.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:54:08 PM by SupaKirb »

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
I noticed them but on my system, however they weren't scratches and I wiped them off with ease, same thing with the circle indentation that happens from the circle pad. I really think that Nintendo could of made the spacers a little bigger to help prevent this issue.  I think this issue happens if there is a good amount of pressure applied on the system. For example if the 3DS is inside a pants pocket that have a tight fit. Also, another way that these marking can happen is if the circle pad and the touchscreen border/bezel is greasy from the oil from your skin and it transfers up.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:14:10 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »
I also have noticed the marks, that I assume is oil from my skin.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
maybe it had an itch?

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
The marks wipe right off my system as well.  I think I'll keep a piece of felt or something in between screens when it is closed from now on, just to be safe.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
The scratches are the result of the 3D effect of the characters trying to claw their way out of the screen and escape.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
The scratches are the result of the 3D effect of the characters trying to claw their way out of the screen and escape.
While you're Sleeping.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
yeah I noticed it and thought it was nothing, but I quickly got a top screen protector and its fine now, not perfect but still pretty good.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »
This is why I'm glad I decided to wait for the inevitable revision (as well as the price drops).
is your sanity...

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
I too have the bottom screen marks.  Mine are from oily-skin resideue, and wipe right off.  I have been playing my 3DS alot, I carry it everywhere, and have racked up probably around 60 to 70 hours of usage since launch.  I suspect it may be somewhat associated with my heavy playing of SSFIV3D and my distaste for using the stylus in general (goes back to original DS).

This never happened on the DS, though, and that's probably because the bottom touch screen is slightly raised and in closer proximity to the 3DS. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:15 AM »
it hapened to me to the hinges are crooked or something
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
Yeah, my 3DS leaves two lines from the bottom screen and a mark from the circle pad. it all wipes off apart from a tiny, tiny, tiny blemish on one side that you'd struggle to notice unless pointed out. Will have to buy a screen protector (which is crazy for a clam).

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
i have this issue, fixed it by putting a tissue folded over in the 3ds while it is closed, gonna get a terry cloth or something more substantial later

Offline 3DSscratches

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 07:53:40 AM »
I am completely and utterly disappointed with Nintendo, they're dropping the ball on this issue big time.  I emailed Nintendo support regarding this issue, and below is there response.  I have yet to call them but I assure you I plan on doing so.  But to tell people outright that "this is not a design flaw" is just absolutely ridiculous.  I've been a long time supported of Nintendo, having owned every system with the exception of the Game Boy Color, but they're really not handling this issue right.

"Hello ****,

Thanks for contacting us.  I can certainly understand how frustrating this must be for you.  Since you’re seeing scratches on the upper screen of the Nintendo 3DS that cleaning did not resolve, we want to speak to you.  While I can't say for certain what is causing the issue, I assure you that this is not a flaw in the design of the Nintendo 3DS.

At your earliest convenience, please contact Nintendo's Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700 any time between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.  In order to speed things along, make sure to have your system with you when you call.

Sincerely,

T. J. Geise
Nintendo of America Inc. 

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/ "

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
I don't see what the problem is. The rep was polite, and suggested that you call to see if they could figure out what was happening. I think you're reading too much into that one sentence. Since most of the people in this thread haven't experienced actual scratching, it seems likely that this isn't an inherent flaw in the design of the hardware. Nintendo's customer service is one of the best out there, so I expect them to do everything they can to help you out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
Nintendo's customer service is one of the best out there, so I expect them to do everything they can to help you out.

I can testify to that.  A week after I bought by DSIXL, I dropped it onto my hardwood floor, it landed right on the shoulder button and what do you know, it must have busted the spring inside the shoulder button because it wouldn't depress correctly anymore.  I thought, "Hey, I wonder if NOA would fix this for me for a nominal fee."  Nope, they wouldn't take my money.  I went through their online support, and they gave me a prepaid shipping label.  I sent it in, they sent me a new one, and all for free.  Awesome. 

Though being a selfish bastard, I tried to register the new one for Club Nintendo points.  Doh!  Didn't work.  I guess either they already thought of that, or I wasn't the first guy to try that trick.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
I called nintendo and they are reparing mine for free
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 05:24:43 AM »
Yeah I think I'm gunna wait for the 3DSu
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Craig

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »
I've noticed these "scratches" too. The day after I got my 3DS I opened it up to see these. I was like oh no how did I already scratch the screen?! Then I realized the bottom of the case is pressing against the screen when it's closed. I just wipe these lines off when they appear. I haven't seen any actual damage at this point.

People who have had the system since launch: have you noticed any major damage? I'd prefer to not have a screen protector if possible. It kind lowers the contrast and makes things a little fuzzier.