Author Topic: Project Cafe & Pre-E3 HYPE Thread  (Read 102636 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Project Cafe - It's Official
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »
Smart move, now people will have even more of a reason to watch their key note at E3. Should be an interesting event, as always I am interested in what Nintendo has up their sleeves when it comes to a new console and which of the rumors are true.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 03:45:19 AM »
Investors Meeeting is next.

Tues April 26th @ 4pm Japan Time, 12am PST & 3am EST (late Monday nite).
We might hear more there before E3. I'll update with any info obtained leading up to E3.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:33:23 AM »
as always I am interested in what Nintendo has up their sleeves

Unfortunately, so is Sony. I still don't understand why Nintendo didn't sue them for violating their patents on the analog stick and the Wiimote. Hopefully if Sony tries pulling that crap this time Nintendo will have their lawyers ready.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:25:22 AM »
For the good of the industry, I want Sony (and Microsoft) to copy Nintendo when they do something right, in the same way I hope Nintendo copies them when they do something right. It's better for gaming if the companies can feed off each others' innovations.

Imagine how much it would suck right now if Sony and Microsoft were legally unable to put analog sticks in their controllers. Or, conversely, if Nintendo were barred from taking cues from Xbox Live in the design of their online system.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:27:30 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:31:47 AM »
Every patent has a work around*

*Patent pending.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 05:38:14 AM »
But we all know that Nintendo pulls far more than its own weight when it comes to innovations, so they are the ones benefiting the least from this "exchange" of ideas. Sony is basically a parasite, and they certainly need to steal Nintendo's ideas far more than Nintendo needs to steal theirs.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Project Cafe - (aka Wii 2) - Officially Announced
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:08:13 AM »
And Nintendo generally reaps the benefits of that. Look at how many Wiis Nintendo has sold compared to the sales of Sony's Wii remote ripoff Move. If you don't innovate yourself, you're never going to have any unique features, and you'll lose sales because of that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »
It seems like the only advantage Nintendo gains with its innovations is that they get a head start of a few months or years before their innovations get copied. The reason the Wii is so far ahead of PS3 Move in terms of adoption rate isn't necessarily because the Wiimote does it better (which it probably does), but mainly because of the several years head start the Wii had from late 2006 to late 2010. How much of a head start will Cafe have when its going to be unveiled a year before it even is released? That gives no less than an entire year for Sony to put their own counter-controller into R&D. That means Cafe might not have as much of a head start as the Wiimote did, because Nintendo kept the Wiimote a secret until just a few months before it was released.

The thing I don't understand is that the reason the patent system exists is to prevent these sorts of idea thefts from occurring, but even though Nintendo files the patents they never sue Sony when they are violated. What good is it to have patents when you aren't going to back them up?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:06:50 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:45 AM »
http://www.1up.com/news/revolution-controller-revealed

That's a hands-on preview of the controller for what was then called the Revolution, from September of 2005, 14 months before the Wii was released. Nintendo has done this before, and still managed to be moderately successful.

EDIT: And anyway, some of the rumored features of Project Cafe, such as streaming console games to a local controller with a screen, are things I wouldn't be surprised if Sony already had planned for NGP-PS3 connectivity before any of these rumors came out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:18:07 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »

That's a hands-on preview of the controller for what was then called the Revolution, from September of 2005, 14 months before the Wii was released. Nintendo has done this before, and still managed to be moderately successful.

EDIT: And anyway, some of the rumored features of Project Cafe, such as streaming console games to a local controller with a screen, are things I wouldn't be surprised if Sony already had planned for NGP-PS3 connectivity before any of these rumors came out.

They already tried this with the PSP.  You could do it even from a wifi connection somewhere else.  Liar supported it unofficially and there are some other games.  It just wasn't popular enough, partly because of the cost of entry.

Not a great video of it but a video none the less.
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/remote-play-ps3-games-on-psp/78952
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »
Is this all the info we're going to get today?  I was really hoping for images of the controller...

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:05:07 AM »
It seems like the only advantage Nintendo gains with its innovations is that they get a head start of a few months or years before their innovations get copied. The reason the Wii is so far ahead of PS3 Move in terms of adoption rate isn't necessarily because the Wiimote does it better (which it probably does), but mainly because of the several years head start the Wii had from late 2006 to late 2010. How much of a head start will Cafe have when its going to be unveiled a year before it even is released? That gives no less than an entire year for Sony to put their own counter-controller into R&D. That means Cafe might not have as much of a head start as the Wiimote did, because Nintendo kept the Wiimote a secret until just a few months before it was released.

The thing I don't understand is that the reason the patent system exists is to prevent these sorts of idea thefts from occurring, but even though Nintendo files the patents they never sue Sony when they are violated. What good is it to have patents when you aren't going to back them up?

I have this feeling that Nintendo may be aiming for a 3DS type of rollout for this new machine. I think its possible that they may try and release earlier than we think next year.

Also about how other companies seemingly steal Nintendo's ideas, from what I can gather, the tech behind them are designed to not infringe on what Nintendo has implemented directly. So they may appear to basically be identical, behind the scenes they work differently.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »

They already tried this with the PSP.  You could do it even from a wifi connection somewhere else.  Liar supported it unofficially and there are some other games.  It just wasn't popular enough, partly because of the cost of entry.

I know, that's why I used that example specifically. Another part of the reason it didn't happen that much, though, was the control experience. It only had one analog input, and that one wasn't very good, which really limited what games could be made to work with it. The NGP has two legit analog sticks, so anything that doesn't require more than two shoulder buttons can be done. Sony is selling the NGP as a portable PS3, and since I doubt they'll sell games that can be played on both, they may try to pass something like this off as close enough. I think it's more likely now that Nintendo may be doing it, but I don't doubt there was at least some level of planning for it prior to this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »

I know, that's why I used that example specifically. Another part of the reason it didn't happen that much, though, was the control experience. It only had one analog input, and that one wasn't very good, which really limited what games could be made to work with it. The NGP has two legit analog sticks, so anything that doesn't require more than two shoulder buttons can be done. Sony is selling the NGP as a portable PS3, and since I doubt they'll sell games that can be played on both, they may try to pass something like this off as close enough. I think it's more likely now that Nintendo may be doing it, but I don't doubt there was at least some level of planning for it prior to this.
I will agree their mostly.  On the Nintendo front I'm hoping they do Remote Play for the 3DS.  Think about playing your Super Wii games in 3D and having their full touch screen options.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:20:31 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
Is this all the info we're going to get today?  I was really hoping for images of the controller...
Investors Meeting is tonite US time(12am PST 3am EST), 4pm Tuesday Japan Time.

We might hear more from that.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
Alright.  I'm growing tired of mock-ups and guessing.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
PLAYABLE System at E3. GET YO HYPE ON.

Are we going to have the stay up late in the NWR chat room tonight?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
I had another offer to go to E3 this year.  It required work though and I'm lazy.  Anyone want to write up a few articles and let me throw my name on them? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
Unfortunately, so is Sony. I still don't understand why Nintendo didn't sue them for violating their patents on the analog stick and the Wiimote
Because they were designed differently, so they didn't. Just like how Nintendo's analogue stick and motion controller didn't violate patents for sticks and motion sensors that came before.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »
Sony and Microsoft are copy cats. I expect them both to have screens in their controllers next generation.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »
Sony and Microsoft are copy cats. I expect them both to have screens in their controllers next generation.

It took them along time to copy the Wiimote. Sony may just try to push NGP connectivity instead and MS.... well, who knows what MS will do, but they both might take the wait and see approach. If that is the case, and they might have a whole year to wait and see, I would expect their controllers to be much more expensive as they will try to outdo Nintendo, who has R&D'd this for years. Remember the screen in the controller prototype that was scrapped back in '05 in favor of the Wiimote.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:54:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 12:54:38 PM »
That gives no less than an entire year for Sony to put their own counter-controller into R&D. That means Cafe might not have as much of a head start as the Wiimote did, because Nintendo kept the Wiimote a secret until just a few months before it was released.
Actually, I believe that the Wiimote and this new controller are two different beasts.  Nintendo was considered by the media and their competition to be on their last legs.  When they unveiled the controller, everyone laughed at it.  I think it wasn't until the Wii became the amazing success that it is that Sony started working hard on the Move.
This time around, Nintendo has all the success.  Sony will take this controller more seriously. If they want it to succeed though, it will have to be a pack in controller with the PS4.  So really, it'll still be awhile before Sony can capitalize on their poaching.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
I had another offer to go to E3 this year.  It required work though and I'm lazy.  Anyone want to write up a few articles and let me throw my name on them? :D
Are you sending me to E3? Though I couldn't actually get the time off

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »
Don't forget, Sony did a half hearted rip off of the Wii motion controls with the sixaxis motion controls.