Author Topic: I need a new Wii FPS  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
I need a new Wii FPS
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
I have some of the few good Wii FPS's, but I'm in the mood for another one. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I own The Conduit, Black Ops, and Red Steel 2. And...I'm getting Conduit 2...which kinda negates the need for this thread...ANYWAY! The question still stands. :)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: I need a new Wii FPS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
Goldeneye.
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Its worth getting the other two all over again)

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
I second Goldeneye.

So. Much. Fun.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
I forgot, I own the Metroid Prime series. I don't need Trilogy.

Question: is it best to have The Classic Controller Pro to play Goldeneye?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »
I use the classic controller for multi player and wii mote for single to get practice in.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
The Pro or the original Classic? Because I'd hate to have to use the CC's horrible ZR & ZL buttons.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:55:40 AM »
I use the pro from monster hunter. Kmart and other places may have the game and controller package at a discounted price, though it being gold colored is a little garish.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:22:06 AM »
I liked Onslaught on WiiWare.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:22:01 AM »
Goldeneye! 

Honestly, a must buy for any Wii owner.  No one should complain about not having anything to play on Wii until after they get this game. 

It's very little like the original, IMO.  More like Splinter Cell Conviction/MGS3 kind of stealthy (i.e. cover based instead of "shoot out lights to stay in the dark" based).  And MW2 production values and set pieces.  Possibly better than MW2 set pieces, especially the fight against Ana Onatop, which is freakin epic.    And great level design (esp. the cradle level).

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
GoldenEye is pretty much the first and last FPS you should get on Wii from my experience.  That's not counting the Metroid Prime Trilogy, of course, as those are of a much different caliber than something like GoldenEye with a focus on exploration and puzzle-solving.

I've also heard good things about the Wii port of Call of Duty 4 (and you already have Black Ops), but I don't see how I could recommend that when the HD versions of the game are not only cheaper but probably better.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
As others have said, Goldeneye is probably the only other one that's worthwhile. The other options would be earlier versions of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games, which look to be pretty much the same thing as Call of Duty. They might be worth it if you're looking for a single player game but probably not for multiplayer. There's also the original Red Steel, but it is rough around the edges and not really worth the time to play today.

The Wii isn't the system to own if you're a big time shooter fan, and I'm guessing you don't have another current system or else you'd be over on a different forum asking about the shooters for it.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
GoldenEye is pretty much the first and last FPS you should get on Wii from my experience.  That's not counting the Metroid Prime Trilogy, of course, as those are of a much different caliber than something like GoldenEye with a focus on exploration and puzzle-solving.

I've also heard good things about the Wii port of Call of Duty 4 (and you already have Black Ops), but I don't see how I could recommend that when the HD versions of the game are not only cheaper but probably better.

Actually, I have both versions. They were both a gift from different people. I had asked for "Black Ops" for christmas and got the Wii and PS3 one.

And yeah, if it's cheap enough, I'll probably get Goldeneye. Once I have that and Conduit 2, I'll probbaly be set.

As others have said, Goldeneye is probably the only other one that's worthwhile. The other options would be earlier versions of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games, which look to be pretty much the same thing as Call of Duty. They might be worth it if you're looking for a single player game but probably not for multiplayer. There's also the original Red Steel, but it is rough around the edges and not really worth the time to play today.

The Wii isn't the system to own if you're a big time shooter fan, and I'm guessing you don't have another current system or else you'd be over on a different forum asking about the shooters for it.

I own a PS3. I like motion controls better for shooters, which is why I'm asking. I have a Wii, so why not?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
I know the feeling, I can no longer play a shooter without pointer controls. Unfortunately, it means you'll have to make sacrifices in order to get those controls. The Wii versions of Call of Duty games (except maybe 3) are competent, but they are missing several features from the other versions, and sometimes have framerate and slowdown issues (especially Black Ops). None of its exclusive shooters can compete with the ones on the other systems either, but at least they run more smoothly.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
I own all 3 systems and enjoy shooters on each of them. I just purchased Killzone 3 and the move controllers to give that a shot. I must say though, Crysis 2 blows everything out of the water in terms of graphic fidelity. Everything is so crisp and clear, even for the 360. At the same time, Wii developers have spent a great deal of time hammering out the controls and Goldeneye responds well. It just becomes difficult in the heat of battle to keep your reflexes that have been trained on thumbsticks for the past 15 or so years and still use in Halo battles.

Offline Retro Deckades

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »

I own a PS3. I like motion controls better for shooters, which is why I'm asking. I have a Wii, so why not?

Well if you prefer motion controls in your FPSes, then I feel I must reiterate: buy Goldeneye. I only play it with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, and think it's great.

I didn't play Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition until after Goldeneye, and while also fun, I found myself getting frustrated at times because the refinements to the multiplayer that Goldeneye introduced spoiled me a little (particuarly the sniper rifle controls).

Additionally, I grew up playing Goldeneye on the N64, and I was really on the fence about the Wii version. After seeing the reviews, I immediately ran out, bought it, played it, and loved it. The only thing that I was a little let down by was the game's opening -- I loved the rendition of the Bond theme on the N64 shortly after you boot up the game. That is missing in this game, but its a reimagining more akin to the recent Bond films, so what are ya gonna do?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:24 AM »
Well, my big problem with GoldenEye is that the secondary objectives are extremely poorly handled.  You pretty much don't have any on the lower difficulty settings (as opposed to the N64 version, which I believe had one or two every level); they don't expand where the player goes in a given level and how they approach the game (like you see in games like GoldenEye or TimeSplitters 2); and they honestly feel pretty superfluous and don't really add anything.  I know this might be because this game uses the Daniel Craig Bond, who has all the personality of a wooden plank and is about as much of a Spy as Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I still found it pretty disappointing and thought it really hurt the game.  Also, the last few missions of the Single Player campaign are just atrociously designed.

Other than that, though, GoldenEye is excellent.  It's one of the few Wii games that really reaches out to allow players to experience it however they like, be it Wiimote + Nunchuk Motion controls or the excellent Classic Controller Pro control scheme.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 02:40:31 AM »
sadly wii doesn't have... a lot. I hope wii 2 does... wii ware may be best bet

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
I own all 3 systems and enjoy shooters on each of them. I just purchased Killzone 3 and the move controllers to give that a shot. I must say though, Crysis 2 blows everything out of the water in terms of graphic fidelity. Everything is so crisp and clear, even for the 360. At the same time, Wii developers have spent a great deal of time hammering out the controls and Goldeneye responds well. It just becomes difficult in the heat of battle to keep your reflexes that have been trained on thumbsticks for the past 15 or so years and still use in Halo battles.

Seeing as I only started playing shooters back in '09, I'm quite used to both control methods. And I'm not in the mood to pay over $100 for a game I don't want, a motion controller I don't want, and everything else needed to make that controller work, just to play a few shooters (Killzone 3 and.............Socom 4? Modern Combat: Domination? lol).

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy the Move set just for Killzone 3 (and I have zero interest in Socom). I have 4 kids in the house who are sure to play a wide range of games. And its nice to be compatible with other friends and family who have similar setups. I was just saying, I am able to compare all the systems and their various control methods. And the Wii has a very competent control scheme when it comes to motion control options. Of course, its up to the developers to take advantage of that...

Offline Ayer99

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
If you like dino shooters, there is Jurassic: The Hunted, which is a pretty mediocre title but you may find it fun. Then there are the obvious ones:Conduit 1 and 2, Metroid Prime, GoldenEye, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment Star Succesor (not really an FPS but still a hard core shooter). And, if you are just in to violent action games in general you should check out MH3, Force Unleashed 2 (better for Wii than other systems) and Okami. I went a little off topic, but their you go.

Ayer99 at

http://ayer99sblog.blogspot.com/