Author Topic: Street Pass!  (Read 118253 times)

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
Re: Street Pass!
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »
I have one streetpass. Went to the mall and got it

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »
I got 2 in the mall yesterday.  What was sad is the Female mii that I got said she had been playing SSFIV but I didn't see anything for character battles....
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
Around 3 weeks in, have carried it with me nearly every day, still not one street pass. I haven't been to the local mall yet. I figure that will be my only chance unless I go traveling or the 3DS takes off.

Offline yoshi1001

• View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
As I said in another thread, you folks need to go to some Pokemon TCG events. Great places for Street Pass. ;)
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2011, 04:27:36 AM »
Took mine with me today when I went into the shopping centre. I left with three hits!
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »
After a four hour stint at the mall I got 1 more.  This one had a hat but,  I keep getting bad ones... I still haven't defeated the ghost.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Quadran

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43:17 AM »
Today I had the pleasant surprise of getting a green light for the first time since I have my 3DS.
Although I got 4 street-passes after visiting a game store in the nearest town, 3 of them were almost certainly of demo units (their names referenced to the local store) and only one was a real user.

That said, it was rather refreshing to play the 'Find Mii' game with Mii's in stead of cats.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
So uhh...

Does anyone know how Street Pass technically works? I mean, does it use a WiFi adhoc network? Or some proprietary wireless chip?

I heard that the Internet and Street Pass can't be used simultaneously - that makes me think it's using the wireless card or at the very least, the same band.

Does anyone know? I find it extremely interesting.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 02:08:48 PM »
So I called Nintendo today after they replied to my email:

--Streetpass works even while you're playing a 3DS title.  This doesn't work for DS titles though.
--However, regardless of game in the system,  once the system is closed, Streetpass will work

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would Street Pass work during a 3DS game, but not during a DS game? Doesn't the 3DS have a background OS that should have all sorts of extra power available while playing a DS game?
What happened to multi-tasking?
I hope this doesn't mean they took the retarded Wii in GC mode means you can't access any extras from the Wii while playing GC approach. That is so stupid and better not carry over to the Wii2. I'm actually hoping that if that part is true, they fix it with the (pre E3?) update.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
So yeah...

After a bit of research, Street Pass definitely uses an ad-hoc network with TCP protocol to transfer data between 3DS's. Once activated, Street Pass constantly (like ever 2 seconds) sends packets out trying to find another 3DS. For more info, look here: http://gbatemp.net/t289980-streetpass

The only problem so far is that no one has 'listened' to a 3DS to 3DS exchange, whether it's the "handshake" (the authorization to exchange data) or the data transfer itself. Once more information is uncovered, we can figure out if the one 3DS acts like an access point allowing the other to trade data or if both are simply able to do client to client transfers.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
So I called Nintendo today after they replied to my email:

--Streetpass works even while you're playing a 3DS title.  This doesn't work for DS titles though.
--However, regardless of game in the system,  once the system is closed, Streetpass will work

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would Street Pass work during a 3DS game, but not during a DS game? Doesn't the 3DS have a background OS that should have all sorts of extra power available while playing a DS game?
What happened to multi-tasking?
I hope this doesn't mean they took the retarded Wii in GC mode means you can't access any extras from the Wii while playing GC approach. That is so stupid and better not carry over to the Wii2. I'm actually hoping that if that part is true, they fix it with the (pre E3?) update.
Actually if you have used on of the DS Download points with a 3DS you'll notice once it fines one it throws you wholesale into the original DS OS.  That's why it doesn't work I'm sure its exactly the same it just throws you into full DS emulation OS and all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
It should work in a window like Virtual PC. An old OS in a window of my new OS.

I hope they fix that. It's just lazy on Nintendo's part.
Full BC is great an all, but why cut off all the other features just to do it when you could easily do both?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
It should work in a window like Virtual PC. An old OS in a window of my new OS.

I hope they fix that. It's just lazy on Nintendo's part.
Full BC is great an all, but why cut off all the other features just to do it when you could easily do both?
That's intensive even when running the same OS in a Virtual PC.  That's part of the reason people multi-boot and Bootcamp exists.  How they are doing it is probably the most efficient way on all fronts but you do lose new features that way.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
Can someone help me with StreetPass?  I can't get it to work.  My friend came over and we tried to do it.  But we had to delete our network setting cause you can't streetpass if you are online.  Plus there was nowhere to turn offline and have just streetpass?  We had street pass on and had our 3DS's on the whole time and it never streetpassed.  Is it because we were already friends?

Thanks.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
That's intensive even when running the same OS in a Virtual PC.  That's part of the reason people multi-boot and Bootcamp exists.  How they are doing it is probably the most efficient way on all fronts but you do lose new features that way.
What Nintendo would need to do is rewrite the DS firmware to take into account the new hardware and features, rather than simply switching the hardware to DS mode. That way, you wouldn't have the overhead from the full 3DS firmware, but could still get the needed features. But it would require a fair amount of development and testing.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline deli123

• View Profile
    • replica breitling
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2011, 05:01:46 AM »
What's it going to be like in a year, or 2, or 3, when the 3DS has sold more than 10 or 20 million units.  It seems cute if we get 1 or 2 streetpasses a day, or every other day, but if that rate stays consistent or rises (as it would, as the population of 3DS's on the street grows and grows)....

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »
I only need three more puzzle peices then ive done everything!
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
I've had the 3DS since 1 week after launch. I've carried it with me probably 40% of the time, including every time I'm going to a store such as the mall, or whatever. Not 1 street pass yet.

Offline Kwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
I've had mine since launch..    I live in the country, but every time I go to town I take it with me.   I have gotten one street pass and it was last week.   I got it at Sam's Club of all places.  Taken the thing to mall's, my nieces college campas when I went to get her, all kinds of places.   When I was there, I looked around and didn't see any demo units.   Judging just by the Mii I got and stuff pretty sure it was a real person too.   Other than that, I've gotten nadda.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2011, 11:50:13 PM »
update, i went and got about 10 at a japanese festival.

Today I went to a big city, same as yesterday, i didn't go out to wal marts or malls at good hours and got 0

Offline Pajamas

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
I've got about 18 Streetpasses so far, mostly coming from walking around campus, and a few from a couple Gamestops.
3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-2317

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
Got 45 Today !!!!!

Went to Dallas Anime Convention and noticed so many people with 3DS's just playing games. I found it hard to resist the green light and I had to keep checking them out. Not sure if I can still get more mii's when doing that process.

I got ALL the panels started now in the PUZZLE SWAP, I was missing 5 :@ !! I completed the Legend of Zelda one which has great graphics and 3D. I went to Gamestop today too because it hosted streetpass party and I only got 3 from that.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:53 PM »
You can get more while checking them. Max you can have at once is 10, and if you don't check them, you'll miss out on other ones.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »
Yeah, that limit is ridiculous. I didn't find out about the limit until after the press conference, so I probably missed out on a few hundred. Also, you get a pretty funny image when you realize that Nintendo employees had to be clearing out execs' StreetPasses all during E3 so that more passers-by could get tagged.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »
Yeah, that limit is ridiculous. I didn't find out about the limit until after the press conference, so I probably missed out on a few hundred. Also, you get a pretty funny image when you realize that Nintendo employees had to be clearing out execs' StreetPasses all during E3 so that more passers-by could get tagged.

I've wondered about this.  If you have ten passes, will your system still send your Mii out to other people?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.