Author Topic: Street Pass!  (Read 118813 times)

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
Re: Street Pass!
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 04:55:12 AM »
Have I got any UTAH people on this forum? I try to find friends and family that have a 3DS near me but there are just not many even though I live in a big place

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
I've only street passed 2 of my supervisors at work (pretty funny), a Gamestop clerk the week 3DS launched, and a demo unit at BestBuy.

I really enjoy the experience and make it a habit of bringing my 3DS everywhere I go outside my home which was Nintendo's intention all along  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:34:00 AM by Razorkid »
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »
There are a few assorted efforts, but someone should create a website/hub where people with 3DSes can put in their ZIP code, see how many others have a 3DS in their area, and post messages of "Hey, let's have a Street Pass event at the mall on 3rd street!"
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
There are a few assorted efforts, but someone should create a website/hub where people with 3DSes can put in their ZIP code, see how many others have a 3DS in their area, and post messages of "Hey, let's have a Street Pass event at the mall on 3rd street!"

It may not be the same, but I use a facebook 3DS app that tells all your friends what your friend code is. Pretty useful.

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »
i can not figure that app out!

Also. I still have none, no one at my work can afford it I imagine and I have not had the cash to walk around a mall with out buying things haha.

Next weekend I intend to walk around both malls in my city and maybe wal mart. HOPING to see someone.

Also, I am excited that in the future we will get more of these street passes! Millions of people, this could be great!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
^ You can't figure out typing out your friend code and selecting enter? >.>

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »
haha no that is easy, but it is not telling me anything else. Is it supposed to?

I mean if my friends have friend codes i get it, but is it supposed to tell you if they don't?

Offline pandaradox

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 11:59:54 AM »
I've managed to get a girl Mii at college. 

Could be awesome... could be a predator... be careful...

Apparently, a UK commercial for the 3DS mentions streetpass and a small note on the bottom of the screen says 30m, which is around 100 feet. As for time, I've heard seen 0.5 to 1.5 seconds for actual transfer, but you may need a few more second for your 3DS's to find one another.

Found this email chain on another forum:

"
 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 From: Nintendo Customer Support <nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
 Date: Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:19 AM
 Subject: Re: Webform: Nintendo 3DS > General Information > Applications andFeatures <<#487124-1087177#>>
 To:

Hello,

The maximum range for any wireless function of the Nintendo 3DS is 100 feet. As for the duration of the actual exchange, it depends on what is being transferred, but it should be relatively short.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
 David Marshall

Nintendo's home page: Country Selector at Nintendo

--- Original Message ---
 Received: 3/29/11 1:34:09 PM PDT
 To: Nintendo <Nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
 Subject: Webform: Nintendo 3DS > General Information > Applications andFeatures

Hello!

I was wondering if you can tell me what the range is that the 3DS StreePass function covers when looking for other players. Also, can you tell me what is the approximate duration required for a data exchange between two 3DS machines in StreePass?

Many thanks, "

Hopefully that means my saturdays spent cruises with my 3DS on the dashboard will pay off  :cool; ... I don't but I may be driven to that one day. 

I have only streetpassed one nonfriend or demo unit.  It was at the movie theatres.  Start saving up and go see nerd-ish movies or at least movies that likely gamers might go see.  Or just linger near the snack bar.

I think I'll try Victoria's Secret today... fingers crossed  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:03:05 PM by pandaradox »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
I'm off with the kids to Video Games Live tonight. Will have 3DS in me pocket. I am expecting much StreetPasses!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
Have fun.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
how long until a street pass virus is written?

Offline pandaradox

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
how long until a street pass virus is written?

Wow... woe be the day...

Offline Tanatoes

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
I'm finding that StreetPass is changing the way I game during my morning commute.  I don't want to pull out my 3DS and play it on the train lest I miss the opportunity to add a mii to my plaza.  Instead I'm playing Pokemon White (with wifi turned on of course) on my DSi and my 3DS is turned on in my pocket.  To date I have a plaza population of 10, have exchanged dogs with my wife, and got a single Ridge Racer ghost from some random stranger.

I can't wait until I have more games that use StreetPass to exchange information.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends?  0639 9148 4145 6376

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
I got 10 hits at Video Games Live. Not as many as I had hoped but still not bad.

@Tanatoes, I don't think you have to have the system in sleep mode for StreetPass to work, do you? I could have sworn I got a hit on the bus the other day while I was playing some other game. Maybe I'm dreaming.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
I got 10 hits at Video Games Live. Not as many as I had hoped but still not bad.

@Tanatoes, I don't think you have to have the system in sleep mode for StreetPass to work, do you? I could have sworn I got a hit on the bus the other day while I was playing some other game. Maybe I'm dreaming.
I sure hope not but that be a great question for the manual article.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:33 PM »
I've really wanted to get a second 3DS so I can test out all kinds of things related to StreetPass.  I have this great plan of finding a straight, long, open road and having the two systems pass each other at varying speeds to see how fast you can be going and still get a hit...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:17 PM »
I've really wanted to get a second 3DS so I can test out all kinds of things related to StreetPass.  I have this great plan of finding a straight, long, open road and having the two systems pass each other at varying speeds to see how fast you can be going and still get a hit...

The Misses wants one right ;P.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »
Sadly, No. :(

Perhaps I should hold a fundraiser?  Anyone want to rent my avatar for $250?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
Sadly, No. :(

Perhaps I should hold a fundraiser?  Anyone want to rent my avatar for $250?
How Successful was that the first time?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
But this time, it's for SCIENCE!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 12:45:43 AM »
I've been thinking about this more - there's two tests that I need to run before I do the drive-by thing.

First, I need a box, big enough to hold one 3DS, that's made from some material that will disrupt the wireless transmission (or something similar to a cell phone jammer).  Have one 3DS powered off and put the other into sleep mode inside of the box and close it.  Then, turn the second 3DS on.  Once it's booted up, put it into sleep mode.  Then, open the box (or turn off the jammer) and have a stop watch to count the time it takes for the two units to register a StreetPass.

Second, I need to get two units and have two people standing far apart (say, 250 feet).  Turn their units on and put them into sleep mode.  Slowly, have both individuals walk towards one another until the units register the StreetPass.

With these two methods, I could determine the amount of time it takes to register a StreetPass and how close the units need to be in order to trade communication.  With some mathematical wizardry, I should be able to determine the top speed at which two cars traveling opposite directions could be going and still register a StreetPass.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
Someone double check my math for me...

Let's say the two 3DS units have to be in range for 5 seconds to complete a StreetPass.
Let's say they have a maximum range of 100 feet.

Two cars, traveling opposite directions, could be traveling no faster than 100 feet per five seconds (20 feet/second, 72,000 feet/hour, or 13.64 miles/hour) in order to be in range long enough to transfer.

Of course, my two numbers there are made up... but if they're close, does that sound right?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »
Somebody call the Mythbusters.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pandaradox

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
So I called Nintendo today after they replied to my email:

--Streetpass works even while you're playing a 3DS title.  This doesn't work for DS titles though.
--However, regardless of game in the system,  once the system is closed, Streetpass will work

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
So I called Nintendo today after they replied to my email:

--Streetpass works even while you're playing a 3DS title.  This doesn't work for DS titles though.
--However, regardless of game in the system,  once the system is closed, Streetpass will work

Cool

You know UncleBob it be less expensive and time consume to instead:

1. Get the time it take for the 3DS Wireless to turn on and go into Streetpass
2. Using the above as a constant have 1 3DS wireless on and another wireless off.
3. Turn on the Wireless on the Wireless off one timing till the first streetpass hit on the second device. (I'm assuming Streetpass is initially push then pull)
4. Using formula:  Time from Wireless on to Streetpass hit - Wireless on to Streetpass Constant = Actual time for Streetpass first contact