Author Topic: Street Pass!  (Read 118680 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Street Pass!
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
So - I've decided that Street Pass doesn't work when the system is in Sleep Mode with a DS game in.  I thought it was supposed to?
It doesn't.  I'm fairly sure we confirmed that in the first 3 pages.  When you have a DS game in or a DSiWare game going the DS literally goes into the DS OS to run it.
but the pedometer still counts your steps! small consolation
I have a feeling that's simply because there's a chip in there that all it does is the pedometer and the system just asks for how much.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »
So what are everyone's stats with Street Pass? I've had the system since launch and with the exception of one month, carry it with me nearly everywhere I go as evidenced by 1.3 million steps. In that time I've street passed 12 people a total of 14 times. Five of the 12 I got when I was traveling (1 at Columbus OH Zoo, 2 at Universal Studios in FL, and 2 at the airports to get to FL).

So really, I've gotten 7 local which I guess is better than none but I wish it was a lot more. I'm an adult and don't attend school. So these have basically been received when I've been in local stores or out walking around the neighborhood. With Mario Kart coming out and next year Animal Crossing I wish I was street passing a whole lot more.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »
I went to the Times Square event for Super Mario 3D Land and I got over 100 Street Passes. Right now my tags are at 439 and my Plaza Population is 260. I take it everywhere with me and I'm still surprised when I get a Street Pass. I don't go to school, just to work and around the city and I get street passes everywhere at all times of the day. It's cool, I hope Nintendo includes the Miis you tag in interesting and fun ways in the future.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
I've still gotten only three. Hopefully things will pick up next year after the 3DS sells tons over the holidays.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2011, 12:06:50 AM »

So really, I've gotten 7 local which I guess is better than none but I wish it was a lot more. I'm an adult and don't attend school. So these have basically been received when I've been in local stores or out walking around the neighborhood. With Mario Kart coming out and next year Animal Crossing I wish I was street passing a whole lot more.

Oh man.   Maybe it's because I live in a larger city, but right now I have 36 streetpasses, and 6 of those I've gotten in the last few weeks.  I carry my 3DS everywhere, and I've gotten streetpasses in the most random of places.   I took my daughter to go see Yo Gabba Gabba live last weekend, and I got 3 then, 2 of them Japanese 3DS's (I think they're were playing the Japanese version of Okamiden).  I've got one at the supermarket on the day that 3D Land came out.  And yet I drive by G4 studios everyday on my way home from work, and I've never gotten a streetpass there.  I suspect it's either a matter of distance, duration, or that G4 hates Nintendo and they don't have a single 3DS in their building.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:31 AM »
I just finished 9 days in L.A. doing a So Cal City Pass and I've had 115 Street Passes.

Got 13 states and two areas of Japan.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2011, 02:45:40 AM »
Sweet man, wish I could make a run like that.  I am getting no play on Streetpass.  The only people I've hit over the past month or so is the multiple tags of one guy that works at one of the local Gamestops.  Even trips to the mall have yielded nothing and in my area, that's basically the only place where you're bound to run into a large amount of people.  I need to take a trip down to the city or some damn gaming/comic convention lol.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
I got a question about Street Pass.

How far away can someone be from you and you still get a pass from them? And how long do you need to stay next to them to complete the pass?

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »
Not sure about distance, but I was waiting for a train the other day and an express train passed through the station. It didn't stop, but I got two street passes during the time it passed. I would say the train was about 10 feet away.
Alternately I was several rooms away at home and I got a street pass from the other 3DS in the other side of the apartment.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
That's funny, because the reason I was asking is that I was passing by the BART train earlier and I pulled up next to it and slowed down to match its speed to see if I could catch a Street Pass or two.
I was only near the front half of the train, and had no luck, so I was wondering if it was possible.
Also the closest I could get was still about 15 ft away still.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2011, 02:59:27 AM »
Until yesterday, I'd had next to no luck with StreetPass, only connecting with two friends who bought the system. Yesterday, I drove to a cinema and got 5 passes! A microscopic achievement compared to some of you, but having been unable to really utilise the StreetPass Mii Plaza and such, I was chuffed. Now that the 3DS has had a Christmas to gain a significant uptake, I might have to start carrying it around everywhere.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:27 PM »
I have yet to get a single street pass. I haven't tried that hard though.

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
I'm still having next to no luck with Street Pass. I'm hoping a few people got this for Christmas and it picks up. I went to the local mall a couple days before Christmas and spent around 2 hours in there. Not one Street Pass was made. Then a couple days ago I went to visit a friend in Columbus OH. We went to eat lunch at a Dave and Busters...again, not one street pass. I think I'm at around 16 total now but have had it since launch. If you take out the tags I've gotten on vacations, I'm probably averaging one per month.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
have you walked into a Bestbuy or Gamestop?

Those are usually good for a demo unit hit and maybe an employee.

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
There is no Best Buy in the area I live but I've been to Game Stop a few times and have never gotten a tag there.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
I've never ever gotten a Street Pass in a Game Stop.
Today I got five SPs and one of them was Isaiah Trforce Johnson- the guy who was the first to get a Wii in North America and the first to get a 3DS. I also beat Find Mii II today. A pretty cool way to close the year out.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Target usually always has a demo unit too.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2012, 11:56:35 PM »
Sadly, the demos aren't set to Street Pass by default.  Depending on the demo cart in the system, it can be impossible (as far as I know) to exit out to the main menu and set it up. :(  Demo systems can be hit-or-miss, basically depending on if someone set it up.

I've contemplated mailing my 3DS out somewhere and back to see if it gets any Street Passes while traveling in the mail...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2012, 12:33:50 AM »
I've contemplated mailing my 3DS out somewhere and back to see if it gets any Street Passes while traveling in the mail...

I had that same thought the other day. And then I thought... "Naw, that's just crazy"
But what if it did work and you missed out on a bunch because there is a 10 pass limit that you have to clear before receiving more?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:54:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »

I had that same thought the other day. And then I thought... "Naw, that's just crazy"
ut what if it did work and you missed out on a bunch because there is a 10 pass limit that you have to clear before receiving more?

That's the primary reason I haven't done it.  I had an offer by a good friend to take mine to the 3DS Developer's Conference Nintendo held last year... *almost* took him up on it.

I need to just talk him into sneaking me into the conference. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2012, 09:31:32 AM »
I just finished 9 days in L.A. doing a So Cal City Pass and I've had 115 Street Passes.

Got 13 states and two areas of Japan.

Yeah, I live in LA and I get streetpasses fairy regularly.   It's a good city for it.  The only problem is that I have never, ever gotten a streetpass from someone more than LVL 1 in FindMii.  Argh, this is killing me!   I must finish this 1st quest!
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Go spend a day or 2 at Disneyland or Universal Studios. You'll be done in no time.
Whether it's all the street passes you get or all the walking you do which will get you coins, you'll make a bunch of progress in a very short amount of time.

I didn't start messing with any of that until just before the trip and I collected more than 80 puzzle pieces and finished the 1st round of Find Mii in that time. (I didn't properly clear the first 2 batches through the games before accepting new Mii's :( )

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I finished the first quest probably using 95% purchased level 1 and 2 Miis. It's not that hard to finish it without street passing others.

Also, I did go to Universal Studios last summer and got a grand total of 2 tags. I'm sure it would be better now but I expected more. You only get 10 coins per day, 1,000 steps is nothing. I normally get that even if I don't leave the house in a day.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
Are you sure you only get 10 coins a day? so it breaks down to 100 steps = 1 coin?

because in 1 day I had 20,000 steps, but since I was constantly buying Mii's for Find Mii (to fill in the blanks during street passes), I never paid attention to how many I got that day. I also didn't know the conversion rate, so it wouldn't have really mattered anyway ;D

.... I should have had 200 coins that day. I would've been set for puzzle swap, Find Mii and Swapnote too had I gotten all my coins for all my steps that week. >:(

Offline Nintendad

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
Yes, you've got it exact, 100 steps = 1 coin, 10 coins per day max. I try to walk 10,000 steps per day for health purposes and I usually have my 3DS with me (have like 1.5 million steps total, lol) but 10 coins a day is all you'll get.