Author Topic: Street Pass!  (Read 118666 times)

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
Re: Street Pass!
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »
Yesterday I got four street passes. Two were repeats one from someone I know and the other from a stranger who takes the same train as myself, this person has a strange looking Mii and it just weirds me out to see it- thankfully I haven't seen anyone who looks like that Mii. The other two were completely random people. These four came after a whole week of traveling around the city and getting no StreetPasses the entire time.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2011, 03:32:00 AM »
I just got my system and even though I live in New York and it's Summer getting a Street Pass is not as easy as it seems, though it's not as scarce as some other people have been reporting.

Yeah, it's definitely not a daily thing, but I've had mine since launch and I've got around 20 streetpasses, with about 15 of them "natural" (i.e. totally random people at non-game events).  5 are just friends that I intentionally met because I knew they had 3DS's.  To be honest, more than streetpassing people you know, the natural streetpasses are the most awesome.  I've gotten some at the mall, one I got at a Dodger game, another I got at Disneyland literally 2 days after launch. 

The funniest thing that's happened so far was at the technical rehearsal for my daughter's ballet recital a month ago.  I was in the theater, waiting for my daughter's class to get out of their green rooms and onto stage, when I saw some 10-ish year old kid a few rows down playing with a 3DS.  Now, ignore the fact that that kid's parent bought them a $250 toy.  A 10 year old.   Whatever.  I immediately checked my 3DS, which was in my messenger bag, and I noticed I wasn't getting a streetpass.  What the hell.  The kid was literally 12 feet away.  Then I noticed that the kid's wireless light (orange, bottom panel, top near the hinge) was off.  I was willing to bet that this stupid kid didn't even know how to use their 3DS and probably didn't have streetpass set up or turned on.  Pretty frustrating.  I really wanted to walk down and teach them how to turn on their streetpass, but...well, non-gamers would probably view a 32 year old man walking up to a totally random kid to get them to mess with their game console as just a little creepy, bordering on pervy.   

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »
The other day I went out and visited friends. I saw I got some StreetPass and ignored it to show off Ocarina of Time. I was out for a long time, but I got home and ended up with 4 or 5 tags. A few days later I went to the Nintendo Store just for StreetPass and got around 11 tags. On the way home I StreetPassed someone who has to either live in my building or my block because whenever I'm coming home or wandering around I tag them. It's crazy because I haven't seen anyone playing any games around here and my fiance hasn't tagged her so I'm thinking I'm crazy, but I feel like I've got to know what's going on. This person has only StreetPassed me twice, but I'm the only person she's tagged, but my fiance has been with me twice with her 3DS, but she didn't get any StreetPass. Weird!
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
I forgot to mention when I got my first Street Pass. It was about two weeks ago, I was cleaning my place and decided to have the 3DS in my pocket to rack up some coins for the day. Once I was finished, I went out to grab a sub for dinner and still had it on me, and when I got home and took it out, I saw the green light for the first time. Seems I got one from a sub shop, of all places. I actually haven't gotten any when I've gone to a game store, which might be surprising...

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
I started Florida International University, and i already have five spot passes, is really cool when the green dot is flashing, this feature is really cool when it works.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
I didn't get any StreetPasses on campus last year, but I'd imagine I'll do better now that it's been out longer, had the price lowered and is in the process of getting a much better software library.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
I completed al the puzzles and gained all the hats for my Mii last week and I'm officially done with Street Pass until Nintendo adds some new content for the feature. I'm still excited to Street Pass someone new, but seeing as how I can't use their Mii characters in any way it seems sort of pointless to me.
Meanwhile I'm hoarding Play Coins and I'm getting a good pile up. Is there any 3DS game that uses them in a cool way? The games I have don't really do anything with them.
Also I wanted to mention the most popular game among the people I've Street Passed has been Ocarina of Time with Street Fighter coming in second. I got someone who was playing Number Battle Nintendo and someone today who was playing Professor Layton.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
i got five more passes today, am about half way through the dungeons.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
Meanwhile I'm hoarding Play Coins and I'm getting a good pile up. Is there any 3DS game that uses them in a cool way? The games I have don't really do anything with them.

Super Street Fighter IV uses the play coins well. You use them to purchase figurines for StreetPass battles. I have had a few and they are fun. Its also fun just buying the figures in-game.

I heard recently that you can use the coins to buy additional levels or itemsm or something in the AR games but I haven't tried this yet.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

Super Street Fighter IV uses the play coins well. You use them to purchase figurines for StreetPass battles. I have had a few and they are fun. Its also fun just buying the figures in-game.

I heard recently that you can use the coins to buy additional levels or itemsm or something in the AR games but I haven't tried this yet.

This is true. In Street Fighter you can buy more trophies, which I guess I could use more of and there are about six additional AR Modes you can unlock with Play Coins. My fiance got a 3DS before me and I played all the AR games a lot, but since I got my system I haven't really touched them. I guess I should get on that.

I went out shopping early yesterday and I got a Street Pass. This is interesting because the Mii really looks like a woman I saw pass me in the store. She wasn't a little girl or an old woman, but a young lady and if I'm not mistaken she was a mother. This is the second time I've seen this too- a mother with a 3DS system. Once on the train and then yesterday in the mall. So yeah- Mom's rockin that 3DS.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
I'm going to start roaming the halls of the local schools in hopes of getting another Street Pass.  Also, I'm going to wait outside by the bus and shake my 3DS to get steps to use for play coins.  I don't want to get robbed, so I better keep the 3DS below the window line so no one sees it while I'm shaking it.
I was on a bus and saw a guy doing that. I just ingnored him and looked back at my gba
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Oh another thing if you look at the mii you got you can see how many street passes they have had and some have like over 100 and I live near them. WHERE IS MY STREET PASS LOVE T _ T
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2011, 07:13:21 PM »
Today I was on the train playing Legend of Zelda (in true Ambassador fashion) and literally saw the green light flicker. I looked around, but saw no one. Perhaps it was someone from the last stop, but at least I know I can play Ambassador titles and get Street Passed!
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »
Two of my kids bought a 3DS each about a month ago (with paper-route an allownace savings!) and since then, we have been street-passing each other daily. We all have now completed Find Mii twice, have all the hats, and I am now one puzzle piece away from having all 90. It really helps when you can street pass the same folk multuple times.

We also each have all the Amabassador games. Bliss!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »
Hmm... Three weeks with a 3DS, only 2 StreetPass hits (that came on the same day). I've been taking it with me everywhere I go, and to lots of different location and events, but that doesn't seem to help. Oh well.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
I think it'll be a while before StreetPasses become a more common occurrence, there still just aren't many systems out there. I've still gotten only one, and I've even been to a few different game stores since then. After the holiday season, I expect to start seeing them happen on occasion.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
I got four street passes on my way to work yesterday morning. New York is like a Street Pass Mecca.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Got my first street pass the other day. Yup, I'm in the club now.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2011, 01:13:45 AM »
I was in South Bend for the Notre Dame game last weekend. Over 80,000 people roaming that campus and hours of walking around got me one lousy StreetPass. That makes two overall.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
I got my first two tags when I got my 3DS back from Nintendo, they were there as soon as I turned it on and then I found 2 more at school.

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
I noticed earlier this week that I was nearing my 100th Street Pass with my gf. Finally the day came and I was somewhat excited, but when I went to the plaza gate her message read that we had still met 99 times. So there you go, you can't Street Pass someone 10 times. Of course you can still street pass that person only their count stops at 99.
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Steve Vice

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2011, 06:24:42 AM »
Living in Norway IĀ“ve still had no luck in meeting anyone in streetpass. IĀ“ve been to big hotels with it, and all over the biggest city in the country (Bergen). The only way IĀ“m getting any of the stuff is through the play coins, if they hadnĀ“t added that it would be impossible for some people to experience alot of the preinstalled stuff on the 3DS.

I even saw a guy with a 3DS and I tried walking close to him but still no dice. Guess I live in the wrong country for Nintendo (this is Sony land)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »
So - I've decided that Street Pass doesn't work when the system is in Sleep Mode with a DS game in.  I thought it was supposed to?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
So - I've decided that Street Pass doesn't work when the system is in Sleep Mode with a DS game in.  I thought it was supposed to?
It doesn't.  I'm fairly sure we confirmed that in the first 3 pages.  When you have a DS game in or a DSiWare game going the DS literally goes into the DS OS to run it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
It doesn't.  I'm fairly sure we confirmed that in the first 3 pages.  When you have a DS game in or a DSiWare game going the DS literally goes into the DS OS to run it.
but the pedometer still counts your steps! small consolation
Oui, Mon Gars!