Author Topic: Street Pass!  (Read 118866 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Street Pass!
« on: April 03, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
So, I went around the nearest "big city" today.  Special trip mostly to kill the day, but partially to carry my 3DS around and try to Street Pass someone.

My trip included three GameStops (one in a mall), a Toys R Us, a Target, a Best Buy, two smaller video game stores, a small music store that sells a smaller selection of games, two Mexican grocers, a Walmart, and a Border's that's going out of business.

All of that, I managed to Street Pass one person.  It was at the Best Buy.  Guy's Mii introduced himself, said it was nice to meet me, then said he hated me.  :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Street Pass!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »
I've been carrying it around with me nearly all the time, and I've had no luck.  The only stores of interest I visited were Best Buy and a Toys R Us, though.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
Wow, my experience has been quite different.  I just got my 3DS from Amazon on Wednesday (5 days ago) and I've already gotten 2 in totally random  places.  My first was on Wednesday at Disneyland of all places (Daniel from Arizona wassup!) and then on Friday at a gas station in like South Central LA (hey FearMe, wassup!).

I also live like 2 blocks away from G4's studios, so I figure I may get some just by driving by a window there or something?
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:28:35 AM »
So, I went around the nearest "big city" today.  Special trip mostly to kill the day, but partially to carry my 3DS around and try to Street Pass someone.

My trip included three GameStops (one in a mall), a Toys R Us, a Target, a Best Buy, two smaller video game stores, a small music store that sells a smaller selection of games, two Mexican grocers, a Walmart, and a Border's that's going out of business.

All of that, I managed to Street Pass one person.  It was at the Best Buy.  Guy's Mii introduced himself, said it was nice to meet me, then said he hated me.  :(

LOL did we get the same guy? I got some guy who said he hated me. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
So far I've tagged mostly demo units but I got a few people too.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
I'm amazed at how much I love Streetpass.  When I first heard of it, I never gave it much of a thought and figured it'll just be something extra that I'll never really take advantage of but now I find myself wanting to take my 3ds averywhere even though I won't get a chance to play with it.  I've managed to get a girl Mii at college.  Others I think I'm picking up as I'm driving around lol or waiting for the light becuase I've managed to grab some without ever really going anywhere.  Does anyone know what the range for Streetpass is and how long you have to be within range to exchange info? 

Right know I only have 6 Streetpass connections and I live in a rural area.  I haven't tried going to the mall with this yet though which could improve my chances.  I need more people bad, my Mii is sick of waiting to be rescued lol. 

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
Walked through the ginormous local mall for a few hours yesterday with the 3DS in my pocket and picked up 6 hits. Was very suprised. Before that had only two (on separate days).

I love the wee RPG that you can play with StreetPass hits. I wish there was some other way to actually interact though. Like, message back, maybe add as friends. but I suppose Nintendo is just protecting me from bad peple, God bless them  ::)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
Can't really send a message back after the passing is done, eh?

BTW, is Spot Pass even enabled yet? I've never seen SWC download anything and the manual talks about some firmware update but I don't know if that means more than just the initial one.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »
I think SpotPass is enabled though there's likely nothing much to push our way as yet. After I did the firmware update I got a message from Capcom abiout Street Fighter via spotpass. It just said they would update me occasionally unless I opted out. I dunno if that message was connected to the firmware update in some way or not.

I also got a 3D music video pushed with the firmware update which I thought was cool. I guess that's the kind of thing SpotPass notifies you about or maybe even pushes to you if the file is small enough.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
I just got my Street Fighter team setup and I had take my 3DS everywhere with me but I haven't checked to see if anything has happened.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
I did my first street pass today. In GameStop... I assume with one of the employees. Viewing his info in Mii Plaza, it says his last played game was Super Street Fighter IV. That's also the only game I own... so why didn't we have a figurine battle? Either he didn't set up his fighter figurines in his game or... I don't know why. Has anyone else had a Street Fighter figurine battle?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
I have. I AM THE VICTOR!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »
Pff I got to school and I street pass like 5-7 times a day. haha
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »
It seems as though I'm the only one with one at my college.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Nemo, re Street Fighter figurine battles: after you set your team you have to take the additional step of enabling the Street Pass functionality in the game. Its near the top of the "figurine" screen, I think I was momentarily tripped up by this requirement. Hope that helps.

Also, re the SpotPass discussion, Capcom pushed me a code for unlockable Street Fighter figurine yesterday. That's clearly a SpotPass right there.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
you have to take the additional step of enabling the Street Pass functionality in the game. Its near the top of the "figurine" screen

Woops. I don't think I ever noticed. It's definitely activated now.

Also, re the SpotPass discussion, Capcom pushed me a code for unlockable Street Fighter figurine yesterday. That's clearly a SpotPass right there.

I got a code also: DmdkeRvbxc    I wonder if codes are system specific or not?

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »
only 2 for me . Both at gamestop one was the demo unit and another was possibly an employee

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
I'm going to start roaming the halls of the local schools in hopes of getting another Street Pass.  Also, I'm going to wait outside by the bus and shake my 3DS to get steps to use for play coins.  I don't want to get robbed, so I better keep the 3DS below the window line so no one sees it while I'm shaking it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nhaines

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 11:31:30 PM »
I've actually passed three or four people in the big cafeteria at the corporate office I work at.  That's been a pleasant surprise!  I haven't met anyone twice yet, though.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
Here's a scary thought:

It seems like everyone is getting at least a handful of Mii's in the past--- what, 10 days?-- that the 3DS has been out.  It seems nifty, we get pleasantly surprised when we see that green light.

And there's, what--- maybe 1 million, maybe a bit more-- 3DS's out in the wild right now.

What's it going to be like in a year, or 2, or 3, when the 3DS has sold more than 10 or 20 million units.  It seems cute if we get 1 or 2 streetpasses a day, or every other day, but if that rate stays consistent or rises (as it would, as the population of 3DS's on the street grows and grows)....

Boom!  Mii Plaza overpopulation, folks.  That's right.

You've got 5, or 10, or maybe 20 Mii's in your Mii plaza right now.  What happens when you get (and you eventually will) 100, 200, or even 300 Miis?  Do they all display on one screen?  Do  you have to scroll through these hordes and hordes of Miis?  Does the 3DS erase old Miis?  Or do they just linger around, staring at you, craving your attention? 

Okay, so this is half-serious.  But now to be completely serious, does anyone know what will happen as the accumulation of streetpasses and Miis increases?  Is there a limit, or does it just keep going and going?  I know this doesn't seem like an issue now, but this may be, a few years down the line.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 02:31:30 AM »
I already have to scroll through miis in that. I guess it'll just drop the oldest ones once it runs out of space.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 02:47:25 AM »
Walked around a shopping area today. I thought it'd be cool to take my 3DS, just in case. Too bad I totally forgot that I had the wireless off. Epic Fail on my part. And schools had just let out, too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »
I currently have six Miis in my Street Pass, all of which are male, three are wearing Mario hats, and two I've passed twice. I have not passed more than one person each time I had the 3DS closed. It kinda sucks however that you can't accumulate a number of Miis and use them in Find Mii or Puzzle Swap; you have to immediately use it after it greets you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:33:59 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
Does anyone know what the range is as far as connecting with someone else? And how long you have to be in that range? I was wondering if it was possible to Street Pass someone waiting at a stop light in a car.

I've carried my 3DS around with me 2 days and have had 0 contacts. Not surprising. I live in a town of only around 30,000 people and most areas are not crowded. I figure my only chance is heading to the mall on a busy Saturday.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »
I live in a town of 600 and I have 6 tags. >.>