Author Topic: AR games and its untapped potential  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
AR games and its untapped potential
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
I decided to create this thread to talk more in depth about the AR games and what it could mean and do to gaming.  I'm not exactly sure how complex can these AR games be as I'm not exactly sure how they work.  I'm assuming the cards have some type of coding in them that the 3ds reads.  How complex can these codes be and what are the posibilities within this limitation?  Lets just say, for the sake of this thread, that you can produce some really complex games with these cards.  Here are a few of the ideas I've been mulling over.

Board Games.
I've seen these cards printed out in massive form and still be usable so I was wondering if they were made in board game size with, for example, Monopoly on the board.  Imagine laying this card on your table and having a 3d interactive Monopoly board.  The whole city is animated and as you progress you see each block develope with hotels and the like.  It'll be like having a whole Monopoly city on your desk.  This could then be applied to any board game.  This would provide many benefits to traditional board games in that you'll never have to carry around the box and its many pieces; No more missing pieses; and no more cleaning up after the game lol.  The posibilites are endless.

Traditional Console games

AR Advanced Wars
What if Nintendo were to release AR Advanced Wars with a huge board game type of card.  This would allow you to have an inveractive war map in 3d on your table or floor allowing you to walk around and access your battle situation from every angle.  It'll be so sweet seeing mini tanks running around your kitchen lol.
AR Fight Night
Now imagine EA's Fight Night on a board card.  You'll then see a boxing ring spring up on your table.  It'll be so sweet to have your own little Friday Night Fights in your living room lol.  Having the boxers move around in the ring would be amazing. 

AR Soul Calibur
This could be applied to any 3d fighting game of your choice.  Again, how sweet would it be to have your fights on the kitchen table where as the edge of your table would be the ring out lol. 

If AR cards can be this complex then the posibilites are endless with game adaptations.  I have to run now but I'll be back on tonight to continue with this discussion.  I really hope these ideas are possible with these AR cards, even if they are not to the extent of what I'm getting at in my post.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: AR games and its untapped potential
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
Pokemon.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
AR Fire Emblem. For the same reasons AR Advanced Wars, as written by Manny.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
Untapped?

It hasn't even launched yet.

Nice ideas though.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »
Pokemon.

There is so much potential there, as well as an inevitable tie-in with the Pokemon TCG. Imagine a local multiplayer battle where you stand on opposite sides of the room with the cards in the middle so you see the battle play out like they do in the games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
Untapped?

It hasn't even launched yet.

Nice ideas though.

lol yeah, I noticed that after I created the thread.  On the topic of pokemon, that would be sweet.  It'll really lend to the idea of pokemon.  Instead of going out with pokeballs, you have your pokecards which, for imaginations sake, hold your pokemon.  You can then have battles anywhere in the real world just like in the game/anime.  It'll be the ultimate role play lol.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »
I'd like to see a Fifa AR game. I've always hated looking at that little radar map.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:02:22 PM »
What I think would be cool is a pseudo Mario platformer where Mario runs around in the room, like on a desk or something. That alone would be cool, but the game could also place a Power Star somewhere, and Mario has to run and jump to it like a SM64 level, using the furniture and other other items as stepping blocks.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
And with that post, I think I may know where Nintendo might be going with the Wii 2.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
It's not a new idea, but if that's the idea that gets Nintendo to include a powerful motion camera with the next system, then I'm all for it.

Offline Runic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Shops
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
I agree with you 100%. Board games and fighting games on your table would be awesome. Imagine having friends over and playing card games with them via 3DS.
Looking for a great deal on the Nintendo 3DS? Visit http://www.nintendo3dsshops.com

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:25:53 PM »
Here's some tapped potential; Engadget is reporting that there is now an Android app that can replicate 3DS AR cards so you don't have to carry the cards around. Of course this leads to legal issues, but the idea is cool anyway.

Soccer games and Strategy games wouldn' need a big card. It would be like how the background of Face Raiders is what the cameras see. The card saves the need for a game cart to create a bunch of simple games. Fire Emblem would come on a cart as normal, but could potentially turn your table, floor, or lap, into the battlefield. That way you could play on the bus, and not have to carry a folded map next to your charger. ;)
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:49:12 AM »
Nice video, thanks for the link.  This does prove a thought that I had when I came up with this thread.  I wondered if by increasing the size of the AR images, would that increase the distance allowed to make it work.  The AR cards are fun and all but having to maintain a distance of 12 inches is a pain in the ass.  Given my idea of creating larger board sized AR cards or boards for games would result in players being able to sit at a more comfertable distance. 

How long do you think it'll take before someone tags up the side of a building with a massive AR image/graffitti lol?  I know its considered vandalism by most but you can't deny how sweet that'll be lol.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
I posted somewhere else that Custom Robo could do this, but really any collect and battle game could pull it off.

While I'm in no rush to secure MORE Yugi-Oh (I don't care how they write it) games for us to review...you could do one if Nintendo was game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 12:02:03 AM »
Okay, I am totally digging Mario jumping around doing platforming on my desk.  I likey.  But there are some technical issues which someone very smart has to figure out, mainly having to do with environment recognition and the AR cards.

It's probably obvious to a hell of a lot of people just how the AR cards work, at least in a general non-technical sense.  They're a visual marker for the 3DS.  Since the 3DS is programmed with the actual dimensions of the AR cards and knows exactly what they look like, it sees the AR card and can pretty accurately guess how far away the card is, because the 3DS knows exactly how large the darn thing is supposed to appear.

But it gets better.  The way it accurately deforms your tables and makes a hole in it and makes dragons appear is by knowing what the cards look like when staring straight at 'em, so if they're tilted at a certain angle, the 3DS knows what the angle of the desk is that the AR card is sitting on.  So now it can pretty accurately recognize an object in the environment, enough to make Mario stand on top of it believably.  Pretty brilliant.

But to make Mario run and jump?  I think to do this, you would need multiple AR cards.  You would need four (maybe?), 1 for each corner or each side of the desk, depending on how its designed.   But what about objects on the desk, like a book or a box for Mario to jump on top of?  I'm guessing you would need an AR card up on top of that too, to designate that surface.

You can see where this would lead.  You would have AR cards strewn everything to make a sizeable surface for Mario to work with. 

Someone smarter, can you think of a more elegant method? 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:45:16 AM »
Isn't there a Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic The Gathering game that uses the Sony Eye Toy or Eye of Judgement or whatever? They could do that for 3DS. That'd be fun.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 04:57:31 AM »
I am excited by the potential as well! Yes I am.

Pokemon and fighting games are going to be amazing.

Shooting games like the one that the console game with will rock too!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »
I'm going to put in my 2 cents on AR with Cards.  There is a game for the PS3 called Eye of Judgements awesome concept that shoot itself in the foot.  They were so focus on the cards they forgot to put in a true single player mode and the full rules of the game into the game.  Not to mention its a pain to find a place to organize a game like that.  It sounds like a great idea in theory but anyone who has actually done it.  It gets old fast.  If you want a game like that the Scanners in Yu-Gi-Oh be they way to go where the play surface just so happens to be a scanner as well.  Where I can see this being really excellent in card games is judging and enhanced replays.

As for AR in general things that take the real world and integrate it much like what Faceraiders does is where I think it would shine.  I know this has been mention before but Pokemon Snap style game that uses your real world surroundings and being smart enough to hide Pokemon pop out from behind the TV and like.  Hidden world games.  Virtual Geo-Caching.

On the Pokemon battle side I do not see any reason why a Pokeball accessory wouldn't be the way to go.  Add in Voice commands and it may be worth the trouble.  The ball itself would be an IR Transmitter that syncs itself with each players trainer code.  When thrown the other 3DS would see the IR to help it track the ball.  It then pops open the Pokeball, which would be on a long cord like a Yo-Yo Ball.    From then on it all be just generated on the 3DS with no real world items.   There would need to be a watcher mode for tournaments and like.

An application that allows for AR recognitions and statistic given.  Think what you see in Ironman's HUD.  Maybe AR at Theme parks, Sporting events, and Museums be really cool as well.

Summary:  Cards AR are a cool piece of tech but thats all it is.  More potential in general world augmentation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:08:59 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:22 AM »
I've never played Pokemon, but the way I see it working would be that you put the cartridge in that comes with an AR card. This AR card sets up your Battle Arena play space.

Now both players would be on either side of the ball and be required to have a deck of Pokemon cards. Both games would sync to each other and the AR card displaying the other Player as a Mii holding a Pokeball. When the battle begins you choose the pokemon you start with by putting it's card on the table. The pokemon will show up on your screen standing on your battle arena that is on your table. Now when you choose your moves, you get to watch from thw trainers perspective as the pokemon battle it out in real time on your table. upto 4 other people can spectate from a side angle to see the action and maybe bet PokeCurrency on the matches that are good ingame for whatever stuff you can buy ingame.

Battling with your pokemon also helps you win in-game items, money and level up your pokemon for use in the single player game.

This should accomplish 2 things: Getting people to carry their 3DS' around everywhere & getting people to keep collecting PokeCards so they can get a favorable deck.