Author Topic: Scribblenauts 2 - New and Improved - Fall 2010  (Read 4049 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Scribblenauts 2 - New and Improved - Fall 2010
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
Scribblenauts 2 was announced in the latest Nintendo Power

-10,000 more words
-120 new and improved levels
-adjectives play a big role
-improved controls
-fleshed out level editor
-par system removed
-more merits
-new hint system
-coming this fall

Sounds good to me. Hopefully this version will be everything we expected out of the first game.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/430667750/scribblenauts-2-revealed-on-nintendo-powers
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:22:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Scribblenauts 2 - New and Improved - Fall 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
It won't be.  Sorry to be pessimistic, but objectnaut, their engine, would need a complete revamp.  Maybe that's what "adjectives play a big role" means, but I doubt that.

They need to give individual summonable things more purpose and identity, and that's very unlikely to be the feedback the sequel will address, instead focusing superficial and shallow complaints.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »
-improved controls

If this means they're going to acknowledge the existence of the D-Pad, I'm in.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
My friend and his wife both loved the first game in spite of it's flaws and considering how much it sold I'm guessing that a lot of other people felt the same way so even if they don't fix the major issues I'm sure it will be well received.

Though isn't this a bit soon for a sequel? Has it even been a year since the first one came out? Hope it's enough time to make real progress.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 05:10:04 AM »
-improved controls

If this means they're going to acknowledge the existence of the D-Pad, I'm in.

It does.

My friend and his wife both loved the first game in spite of it's flaws and considering how much it sold I'm guessing that a lot of other people felt the same way

I bought it because it seemed like a good idea before I played it. I certainly wouldn't buy a sequel without massive improvements.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
My friend and his wife both loved the first game in spite of it's flaws and considering how much it sold I'm guessing that a lot of other people felt the same way so even if they don't fix the major issues I'm sure it will be well received.

Though isn't this a bit soon for a sequel? Has it even been a year since the first one came out? Hope it's enough time to make real progress.

That didn't stop Drawn to Life 2.  Or the SpongeBob editions of Drawn to Life. :/

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »

That didn't stop Left 4 Dead 2 :/

Probably a better comparison.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »
If this means that a Beekeeper won't be afraid of bees, then I'm in.

Also L4D2 is an amazing improvement over the first.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
I know...It took me awhile to admit that, but I play it now.

Hopefully we see just as much of an improvement out of this.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
Awesome! I will probably pick this one up! The first always intrigued me.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »

Thank you for putting words in my mouth.

My point was that in THIS particular developer's case, there has been a history of sequels developed and released a relatively short time after the initial game was released, and often, the case was the game was lauded by the press and media before release, and heavily criticized afterwards.  The sequels promised to make marked improvements addressing complaints of the original titles, and the developer DID NOT follow through with their promises.

I'm not aware how taking another title, created by a different developer, which you even admit improved on it's predecessor in your following post could ever be what I meant.  My point was that those games weren't the improvements 5th Cell promised to deliver, and they didn't fix key flaws found in the first iteration of the series, and neither will the improvements 5th Cell will make this time.

You see the difference in what I'm saying and what you're saying I should be saying, don't you?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »
thatguy, you have a good point, but Drawn to Life wasn't as big as a success or as critically acclaimed pre-release as Scribblenauts was.

Also, Drawn to Life 2 (the Spongebob game wasn't made by 5th Cell, so it doesn't count) came out two years after the original, which, to me, isn't a "rush job." And the second one also improved on the original, though it didn't fix every problem.

So while Left 4 Dead 2 isn't an accurate comparison, Drawn to Life isn't a completely accurate one either.

To me, this is a case where the only thing we can do is wait and see if 5th Cell learned from their past mistakes and will truly improve Scribblenauts in the sequel.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »

Thank you for putting words in my mouth.

Hey dude.....relax.  I'm pretty sure its clear you never said that... ;)

Yea I dug what you were saying, the company makes shovelware.  Spongebob was made as a quick cash in, and 2 felt like a contractual agreement.  They were with THQ, which if you read interviews about Scribblenauts, was very controlling.  That's why they left THQ and went to WB, where they were offered more freedom.  I doubt the team actually cared about Spongebob Drawn to Life..should you expect an improvement?  It was a cash in.

I think this is a closer comparison to Left 4 dead 2.  It's happening in less than a years time frame, and its promising to do much better than the first game which felt like a glorified tech demo.  Just like Left 4 Dead.  I'm hoping for the same improvements.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
5th Cell didn't make Drawn To Life: Spongebob and only handled the sequel(The Next Chapter) on the DS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Cell#Original_Titles

The Next Chapter was handled by Planet Moon Studios on Wii
and Spongebob Edition was done by Altron on DS

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
I would argue that Left 4 Dead didn't have as many issues as Scribblenauts, but aside from that, I see your point.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »
Oh of course, but I think it's a very similiar situation.

Unlike L4D2, I'm actually excited about this on the front end.  I really enjoyed the first one, and would be willing to pay for a much improved sequel.  Which I'm sure we'll get.

at least...I hope we get ;D

Offline rad.i.kal

• View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
i want to play this game, sounds awesome. i liked the first