Author Topic: DS2 Might Get Announced At E3  (Read 19335 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
DS2 Might Get Announced At E3
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:39:09 PM »
Nintendo's next handheld is drastically more powerful, and dev kits are in the wild.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22674

Developers have their hands on the DS2, and the system could be unveiled at E3 2010, according to an anonymous source.    

The source said that a developer is working on a title for the DS successor, which was billed as being much more powerful, and that the release date is set. When pressed, the developer only hinted at the fact that the system won't be announced at the Game Developer's Conference in March, but might be announced at E3 2010 in June.    

All the recent rumors make this scenario very plausible, and there is a possibility that the DS2 could be hitting Japan before the year is out.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: DS2 Might Get Announced At E3
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
I sure hope so.  Nintendo needs to advance their handheld position much further... their weaker technology is starting to fall back in terms of appearance.  Sales, no.  But graphical appearance, yes.

Time to advance.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
The thing I really like about the DS's weaker graphics is that we can get great games for cheap, and they are cheaper for the developers to make as well. Games like Professor Layton and all of the Atlus games that I love are a result of these lower costs. I also appreciate the phenomenal battery life that far outlasts my PSP and iPhone. On a handheld, I am looking for great gameplay that I can carry with me easily, graphics don't factor in all that much (heck, I still play GBC games on my SP).

Still, a new DS would be fun... so long as the games keep coming. I would also like to see full titles available for download... and some way to download our games that we have registered with club Nintendo.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
The thing is, I don't think the graphics thing really a great argument.  Just because you have the increased power doesn't meant you have to use all of it.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have great games like the Art Style series.  And having a more modern system is arguably easier (i.e. cheaper) to code for because you don't have to get down to hardware level to do interesting things.  Power consumption is certainly a valid point though.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »
The thing is, I don't think the graphics thing really a great argument.  Just because you have the increased power doesn't meant you have to use all of it.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have great games like the Art Style series.  And having a more modern system is arguably easier (i.e. cheaper) to code for because you don't have to get down to hardware level to do interesting things.  Power consumption is certainly a valid point though.

I think my real worry with the graphics is that we will get less sprite based games, but I suppose the PSP has plenty of those. I really like some good 2d art.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:09 AM »
The thing is, I don't think the graphics thing really a great argument.  Just because you have the increased power doesn't meant you have to use all of it.

You'd think this, but what's that old saying about stuff expanding to fill in the added space? You give developers a PSP-level DS2, and very, VERY, few of them will have the fortitude to resist ditching simple, effective, and charming graphics for an abundance of polygons, and all this just because they can.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
Well, I was making a cost argument, not a quality argument.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:17:12 AM »
i think the recent bunch of ds stuff just doesn't do it compared to iphone gaming, psp gaming and even the up and coming android gaming that should hit soon (supports flash, TONS OF GAMES).

i think the rumors will be true...

motion based gaming
same or more powerful tegra processor as the zune hd (could it be better than the nexus one which is a 1ghz processor?)
it will probably have very nice graphics, will it have dual screen? not sure, but probably since its still a ds....
what else, i don't know, i bet it will be thinner?

i am excited by this idea, i would likely upgrade and give the dsi to my wife, she wants it for the ghost game coming to dsiware

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:17:29 AM »
The best thing about DS being behind the times graphically is that it forces devs to do something other than chase the graphics. that is why we have games like the Art Style series.

But I hope it's true that DS2 is using the Tegra (2?) chip

edit: And for anyone looking to catch up on all the DS2 rumors
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg564740#msg564740
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:21:23 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:20:25 AM »
Maybe it'll be powerful enough for a Street Fighter IV port
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:23:27 AM »
Maybe it'll be powerful enough for a Street Fighter IV port

I will laugh my ass off if DS2 gets all the ports that we've been expecting for the Wii.

and once again: all the DS2 rumors here

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »
The thing is, I don't think the graphics thing really a great argument.  Just because you have the increased power doesn't meant you have to use all of it.

You'd think this, but what's that old saying about stuff expanding to fill in the added space? You give developers a PSP-level DS2, and very, VERY, few of them will have the fortitude to resist ditching simple, effective, and charming graphics for an abundance of polygons, and all this just because they can.

Yeah but someone like Studio Ghibli would make the most out of it and use charming, effective graphics. So it's a win-win really. No need not to upgrade the graphics from a developer stand point.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:34:37 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »
i think the recent bunch of ds stuff just doesn't do it compared to iphone gaming, psp gaming and even the up and coming android gaming that should hit soon (supports flash, TONS OF GAMES).

Really? If you are an RPG fan, the DS is the place to be man. I know that many RPG games are kind of niche but I am really happy as a clam with what has already come and is scheduled to come out for the DS RPG wise. I mean, I just got through playing FFIV, Might and Magic COH, Zelda Spirit Tracks, and am currently working through Etrian Odyssey II. After I finish that, I have Professor Layton 2 and Devil Survivor waiting for me. Coming out this year that I am looking forward to are SMT Strange Journey, Dragon Quest 9, Etrian Odyssey III, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, Golden Sun 3, Final Fantasy Gaiden, Pokemon Heart Gold, Dragon Quest 6, Ninokuni Another World and Shiren 4. Don't know how I am gonna manage all that, but I sure as hell am not complaining about a lack of games. 

For smaller experiences, I agree that the iPhone has the DS trumped mostly due to volume and price. I play tons of iPhone games, and it is great for that quick fix of gaming. Shooters, Tower Defense games, and even adventure games are great on the iPhone.

As far as the PSP having more than the DS? Well... it gets less play than my DS. I got it for Littlebigplanet which lasted about a week. Other than Valkyria Chronicles 2 an Persona 3 Portable I am not sure what else people are looking forward to with the PSP.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 02:09:36 AM »
Tales DS

where art thou.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »
Tales DS

where art thou.

I hear you, the 2d ones are my favorite.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:13 AM »
Time to advance.

They could name it the 'DS Advance' :)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:29 AM »
it'll probably get a bunch of psp ports, will the Gameboy brand resurface? Gameboy DS?

Also, 6 years already? I guess it is time
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:54:39 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
So if they announce it at E3 how will everyone who bought a DSi feel?  Nintendo knew they had this on the doorstep.  How is the DSi anything other than an outright con?

Just let me hook the DS2 up to the TV like the PSP can!  I would buy this just for that so I can play all my existing DS games on the TV.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 01:29:52 PM »
either stupid for buying something at the tailend of a generation, or not for knowing its the tailend of a generation and still buying the latest and greatest because they can.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
7th pillar, no worries.  Nintendo is building their Parthenon.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
As we've discussed on RFN, this was bound to happen soon because Nintendo needs to revive hardware sales in Japan. I don't really think we'll see the new system in America until 2011 (by that time, DS sales will probably start to lag here, too).

The feature set is going to be really interesting. As Iwata has said, it doesn't make sense to only improve graphical performance (though they certainly will do that). And some kind of built-in tilt control is a given. I also expect full backwards-compatibility with DS and DSiWare games. Beyond that... it gets interesting. Nintendo will likely do something new with online connectivity, and hopefully they will either upgrade the cameras from DSi or get rid of them. I expect there will be some built-in or launch-window apps to use the new DS as an exercise device. Not only will it work as a pedometer, but the motion sensors also mean it can be strapped to your arm or leg, much like in EA Sports Active. It should also let you listen to your music at the same time. I think Nintendo may even put a sensor in the shell to measure heart rate when touching your skin -- like the Wii Vitality Sensor, but built-in. It makes a lot of sense if you're already using this portable for excercise.

And this may be reaching, but if Nintendo can work out the technical issues with Netflix, having the next DS be a portable viewer for Netflix Instant would be a huge deal.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »
As someone who bought a DSi, I knew this was going to happen sooner rather than later. The only way I'd really be upset about it is if there were no way for me to transfer over my existing DSiWare library.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 04:27:08 PM »
This coming out so soon after the DSi... I really don't know what to make of it if true. Maybe the DSi will be like the GBC and this supposed DS2 will be like the GBA?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
If it has a Tegra chipset, throwing on an HDMI port would make sense. and be super wicked sweet.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »
So if they announce it at E3 how will everyone who bought a DSi feel?  Nintendo knew they had this on the doorstep.  How is the DSi anything other than an outright con?

I sold my DS Phat and upgraded to the DSi, but had I known a DS2 was right around the corner I would have kept the Phat and just waited on it. I'm not terribly pissed about it, but I do feel I wasted my money a bit. Its okay though, because I'll just wait to get a DS2 until the first revision, so that way I can leapfrog the DS2 Phat model and get the DS2 lite or whatever a year or two later. I'm not a big handheld gamer so I can wait. By then there will be more games and the prices will have come down (hopefully). So its all good. I'll keep my DSi for the foreseeable future.

Just let me hook the DS2 up to the TV like the PSP can!  I would buy this just for that so I can play all my existing DS games on the TV.

How could that possibly work? There are some DS games that only use one screen and don't use the touch capabilities so these games wouldn't be a problem to run tv-out, but how could you do the ones that require two screens? Would the tv do one screen and the DS do the other? Or would the TV do both one on top of the other? And then what about the touch screen games? How could a game that makes heavy use of the touchscreen work on a tv? You would need to look at the DS screen in order to play them, so it would defeat the purpose, unless you wanted to have a room full of people watch you play.

So these are all the hurdles that would have to be worked out before you could have TV-Out on the DS, and I think that's probably the reason Nintendo hasn't done it. I'm sure these are hurdles that could be overcome, but they're not as simple as TV-out on a one-screen non-touch handheld like the GBA or PSP. So yeah, its something that could be done with a good deal of tinkering, but its not simple and probably not profitable from Nintendo's POV.
is your sanity...