Author Topic: What 3rd party games should make their way to the Wii?  (Read 11510 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
What 3rd party games should make their way to the Wii?
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »
Incase you haven't been paying attention, the Wii is cleaning up shop in Hardware, software & third party sales (multi-platform atleast).
Money is to be made on Wii and most 3rd parties are a little late to come to that realization, but lots of them are trying to rectify that situation. There are alot of 3rd parties out there that have made alot of good games over the years and quite a few of them may be just perfect for the Wii.

So what 3rd Party games do you think should make their way over to the Wii?

I'll start off by suggesting that Namco's Point Blank series need to find a definitive console version on the Wii in the form of an updated sequel or WiiWare port.
As many gallery shooters and mini game collections that are going around, Point blank was one of the funnest.
I think it would be a perfect fit for the Wii and the Wiimote 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:35:22 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: What 3rd party games should make their way to the Wii?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »
Definitely Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, Godfather 2, and the GTA series.
is your sanity...

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »
Lord of the Rings Conquest.   And maybe L4D.  Wiispeak would be a must though.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:45:07 PM »
I would say Burnout Paradise (a perfect game to de-stress), but having played it i fully understand why it isn't on wii.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
Earth Defense Force!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
I would say Burnout Paradise (a perfect game to de-stress), but having played it i fully understand why it isn't on wii.
I haven't played it, but what makes it reasonable to not put on Wii?

As far as the other games... why would Wii be a good fit?
Not all of us have played those games, so we might not even know what kind of games they are.
Would you mind letting us know what kind of game it is and/or why it should be on Wii?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »

The city itself is huge, the online play is integrated into the game (press two buttons and it will take you online), and the DLC (of which there's several) are at least 300mb each.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:01:13 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
I've been playing a lot of Gears of War 2 recently and I think if it were possible to scale it down to a level that would work with the Wii hardware the controls would be fantastic. Also, Mass Effect. Sadly, even if they were possible on the Wii Microsoft has paid large sums of money to keep them 360 exclusives.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

The city itself is huge, the online play is integrated into the game (press two buttons and it will take you online), and the DLC (of which there's several) are at least 300mb each.

Since the DLC is already released they could just add it to the Wii version's main disk.

I really want Godfather 2 to come over and I'm hoping that EA's new Wii focused strategy will lead to it coming in the next year. Didn't the Wii version of the first game come a bit later as well?

Left4Dead would be amazing. I love that game and my computer can't run it so having a Wii version would be nice.

I want Beyond Good and Evil 2 to come to Wii. Period.

Geometry Wars 2 should be released on WiiWare at some point. They shouldn't base decisions on the poor sales of the Wii disk game because I thing Geometry Wars is more suitable as a D/L game.

RE5 can be done on Wii. I will be arrogant and say the devs are lying about it not possible to make on Wii. Dead Rising couldn't be done yet they tried that.

Metal Gear Solid 2-3 could be a possibility since we already got Twin Snakes on Gamecube. The PS2 three pack of 1-3 could be done on Wii and include the Twin Snakes version as opposed to the original MGS1.

This is just me but I would like a port of the PSP Lord of the Rings: Tactics ported to Wii since Wii/PSP projects are a common sight now.

A version of Portal could be great with the IR controls.

I also want to see a version of Patapon on either the Wii or DS.

Braid and Castle Crashers are others that I want as well.

Both the new Prince of Persia and the  XBLA remake of the original PC game with Sands of Time art should come over as well.

I'll top off this list with Soul Calibur 4. They have the SC2 engine. Upgrade that a bit and throw all the assets into that for a Wii version. They made a lot of SC fans with 2 on Gamecube and then they tossed them to the wind. Sure I was originaly drawn to the game due to Link, but I stayed because the whole game was amazing and I think a number of other players stayed as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
Resident Evil 5 would be terrible on the Wii. Terrible. First, it was made for online co-op which I don't trust on the Wii at all (yes, more friend code bitching). Split-screen multiplayer could be done, but it's not the same. Also, if they mapped the item change to the Wii remote's d-pad, I'd crap myself.

So far, it seems like everyone is thinking inside the box and only suggesting existing games, rather than real installments of popular series.

Anything I would want would have to be brand new and made specifically for the Wii.

1. Resident Evil. A real Resident Evil. Call it RE6 or Code Samantha... whatever. Just give it.
2. Metal Gear. A real Metal Gear, nothing like that Ac!d BS. Reboot, alternate universe... again whatever.
3. Final Fantasy XIV.
4. Panzer Dragoon. I'd prefer a sequel to Saga, but I'm surprised Sega hasn't already capitalized on this series on the Wii.
5. Phantasy Star. Based on Online, like Zero.
6. Castlevania. A real Castlevania, preferably 2D.

Sad, that I have to specify that a serious entry is  more desirable since we're accustomed to being given less.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:50:53 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
I'm thinking SquareEnix should make a 3d Wiimake of FFVII & then do a Wii version of FFXIII to release along side the PS3 & X360 versions.
jRPG's have been having a hard time on the US shores and everyone has been calling for a FFVII remake. Why not give the fans what they want and release the FFVII Wiimake(as the appetizer) and FFXIII(the main course) on the #1 console in the US?

Sounds like easy money and a possible revival of the jRPG in the US & Europe.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:16:34 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:12:37 AM »
So far, it seems like everyone is thinking inside the box and only suggesting existing games, rather than real installments of popular series.

Then you're still thinking inside the box labelled "sequels". It's kinda duh that people want all the next installments of games on their system and with sequels there's no limit to how the game must fit the system, anything can be adjusted. With an existing game you have constraints and have to select those games where the change would actually make sense.

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
Since I am a Role Play guy, I think more of the niche RPG series should be brought in.

Suikoden
Wild Arms
Kingdom Hearts (I'd even settle for PS2 Final Mix)
Persona
Shadow Hearts

All the "freak" series that usually stay in Japan
Growlanser
Devil Summoner

Nintendo should be like "We want all your RPGS on the Wii, PS3 doesn't want you, but we'll take it". Come on, if there are like 20+ dog and pony grooming games, why can't there be more niche RPGS?

On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »
1. Resident Evil. A real Resident Evil. Call it RE6 or Code Samantha... whatever. Just give it.
2. Metal Gear. A real Metal Gear, nothing like that Ac!d BS. Reboot, alternate universe... again whatever.
3. Final Fantasy XIV.
4. Panzer Dragoon. I'd prefer a sequel to Saga, but I'm surprised Sega hasn't already capitalized on this series on the Wii.
5. Phantasy Star. Based on Online, like Zero.
6. Castlevania. A real Castlevania, preferably 2D.
1. I'm kind of hesitant on this. If anything, Mikami's absence has hurt the RE development team.
2. Also iffy. While I would like to see an alternate universe (like the pre-MGS2 story with Lqiuid being alive), I don't want to go through millions of cutscenes of Kojima fan fiction.
3. I'd rather have a KH-like crossover with FF characters and nintendo characters, with the FFX-2 battle and job system. Get the FFXII scenerio writer and you've got gold.
4. Asking Sega to make a follow-up or sequal is like a wobbly bridge. It can stay solid (SatBK) or it can fall apart (Sonic Unleashed, NiGHTS: JoD). Then again, I just mentioned Sonic Team games, and the same development team who worked on Dragoon worked on Mario & Sonic, and that was a good sports game. And Sega games have a nice fanbase within the Nintendo fanbase, so why not?
5. I liked PSO 1&2 on the GCN (w/o online D':), sans the control issues. If Zero is good, I will fully support a Wii release.
6. Meh. IGA, like Kojima, spews enough bullshit to turn me off on the series. Though the recent Castlevania DS game was fun, the series needs a break. Though I would like the Dracula X Chronicles on DS, like it should've been IGA. >:(
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
Wee now have SD Storage, I think a lot of these titles will make it now that didn't due to DLC and just little storage type things!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »
Now 32gb cards should cheaper and cheaper every  month.
$75 is a lil much for me to spend on that right now (and I don't need it yet), so I will be all over this when it hits $40 or less.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »

Since the DLC is already released they could just add it to the Wii version's main disk.

True. But its still the issue of seamless integrated online play. It's possible if they bypass it with EA Nation.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
Godfather 2, GTA, RE, Burnout.  And some good FPS action. I'm st as far as traditional gaming goes.  However, Soul Calibur is awesome too.

I don't have time RPGs anymore sorry. :/  Except I would probably make time for a Phantasy Star Online game :P
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »
Then you're still thinking inside the box labelled "sequels". It's kinda duh that people want all the next installments of games on their system and with sequels there's no limit to how the game must fit the system, anything can be adjusted. With an existing game you have constraints and have to select those games where the change would actually make sense.
Really? You're going to nitpick that one line in my post. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how often this happens. Fine. So be it. How else would you approach this? There are 2 possible answers: ports or sequels. I choose "sequel built for the Wii" because I don't want ports and saying I want unannounced games is pointless. I don't know why anyone would want a downgraded port of anything on another system. Wii owners complain about all the ports, but then ask for ports of X or Y game on 360/PS3.

And if it's so "duh" why did everyone settle for naming existing games. Seems to me that it wasn't so obvious. There was no "selective process" as people were just putting names of existing titles on other hardware out there. With the exception of Phantasy Star (which admittedly could be done on anything equally well), I chose series that I felt could really benefit from the Wii remote.
1. I'm kind of hesitant on this. If anything, Mikami's absence has hurt the RE development team.
2. Also iffy. While I would like to see an alternate universe (like the pre-MGS2 story with Lqiuid being alive), I don't want to go through millions of cutscenes of Kojima fan fiction.
3. I'd rather have a KH-like crossover with FF characters and nintendo characters, with the FFX-2 battle and job system. Get the FFXII scenerio writer and you've got gold.
4. Asking Sega to make a follow-up or sequal is like a wobbly bridge. It can stay solid (SatBK) or it can fall apart (Sonic Unleashed, NiGHTS: JoD). Then again, I just mentioned Sonic Team games, and the same development team who worked on Dragoon worked on Mario & Sonic, and that was a good sports game. And Sega games have a nice fanbase within the Nintendo fanbase, so why not?
5. I liked PSO 1&2 on the GCN (w/o online D':), sans the control issues. If Zero is good, I will fully support a Wii release.
6. Meh. IGA, like Kojima, spews enough bull**** to turn me off on the series. Though the recent Castlevania DS game was fun, the series needs a break. Though I would like the Dracula X Chronicles on DS, like it should've been IGA. >:(
1. I agree. Mikami was Resident Evil and his presence is missed. RE5 is no where near the brilliance of RE4, but given the choice, I'd pick a sequel over Darkside Chronicles.
2. I don't like long cut-scenes either, but I like the series and I think it could work on the console. Like all the series I've mentioned, I'd rather have MG than not have it. Getting these series shows that 3rd parties are finally recognizing the Wii's status as market leader instead of pretending it's a mini-game factory.
3. I just think getting a FF sequel is a slap to the face to Sony and SE admitting that they bet on the wrong horse. The irony of the series returning to Nintendo hardware (not counting remakes) is what makes this choice.
4. Under the right developer, any game can work. Overkill was a great game and Headstrong took it seriously. Panzer Dragoon is a perfect fit for the Wii whether its a shooter or an RPG. I have no idea why Sega thought Orta was an appropriate release on Xbox.
5. I've heard nothing but good things about Zero. The fact that it's follows Online, rather than Universe is a great sign. Sure, Portable is prettier, but Universe was a weaker game than Online.
6. Iagree; it needs an overhaul though the series would benefit more being on Nintendo hardware. Like the PS2 games, it'll get lost in the shuffle and the fanbase is largely comprised on Nintendo fans anyway.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »
If it's possible I think EVERY game with an average score of 80% or higher that has been released on the PS3 and X360 but not the Wii should be released on the Wii, preferably with a discounted price to make up for the delay.  Though I don't think the hardware can handle it.

Because of the hardware issue I say all the major series just move to the Wii.  So we don't get Street Fighter IV but we get Street Fighter V.  Most of these series will crank out another sequel anyway.  And they don't even have to be exclusive.  If they want to make multiplatform games with the Wii as the target platform than I'm fine with it.  Excluding the market leader is what I don't like.  I want third party games that don't appear on the Wii to be rare exceptions like how non-PS2 third party games were last gen.  We're comparing market leader to market leader.  It's only fair to expect similar support.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
Ian, popular multiplatform franchises can go onto less powerful hardware. Its been that way ever since at least the SNES era when a game could be on both the consoles and on the much less powerful Gameboy as well. Of course, features ended up being cut out, but usually the handheld versions were decent in their own right. And now of course multiplatform games are often released on high end systems and on the DS as well, and the DS version will be extensively different (graphically weaker of course, but typically with touch screen capabilities and occasionally other bonuses).

But for some reason we aren't seeing this happening on the Wii as much. If a game could be released on the consoles AND on the DS as well, then why can't a game be released for the Wii as well as the high-end consoles? Maybe the game would have to be almost completely rewritten, but it could be done. When you take into account the Wii's larger userbase and its lower development costs I would say its definitely worth whatever it costs to rewrite a game.

One thing I think does hurt MP games on the Wii is the controls. Obviously a game like Street Fighter isn't going to make a lot of use of motion control, but why does it have to? Super Mario Galaxy is a game which hardly uses the motion controls at all, and it goes to show that the wii-mote and nunchuck together are perfectly capable of filling in for a standard controller. For that matter, third parties could also have their games depend on the classic controller. It does exist and they can make use of it, but for some reason there's this hangup that they absolutely HAVE to have wiggle-waggle control on the Wii. This was also a mistake companies made with the DS in the early years as well, but the DS now finally has games that don't depend on the touch screen at all. I think its time we start seeing Wii games that don't depend on the motion control as well. I mean, its nice if they can find a good use for it, but they need to realize that they don't absolutely have to.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »
If a game could be released on the consoles AND on the DS as well, then why can't a game be released for the Wii as well as the high-end consoles? Maybe the game would have to be almost completely rewritten, but it could be done.
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Of course, it can be done, but it's easier not to. One of the reasons 3rd party support is so subpar on the Wii is because it's easier and more cost effective to make the game for 360 then port it to PS3. A completely separate version for the Wii means 3rd parties have to make that much more back. Don't get me wrong, I still think the Wii deserves better support and I'm not giving 3rd parties a pass. There are pros and cons though I still think the pros slightly outweigh the cons. A userbase 50 million strong is hard to ignore.
... it goes to show that the wii-mote and nunchuck together are perfectly capable of filling in for a standard controller...
It really doesn't. Close, but no cigar.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »
One of the reasons 3rd party support is so subpar on the Wii is because it's easier and more cost effective to make the game for 360 then port it to PS3. oesn't. Close, but no cigar.

Actually, developers tend to say it's easier to make the PS3 version first and port it to the Xbox 360 (the reason being that the PS3 is harder to program for, so it's easier to take that version and then make the Xbxo 360 version than it is to start with Xbxo 360 and try to port it to PS3).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 10:01:53 PM »
I agree with what you guys are saying Ian and Chozo, and the data shows that multiplatform efforts that include a Wii SKU sell equal or better that the non-Wii SKUs. Sure there are exceptions, but a lot of those were early in the systems life cycle and who could find a Wii in the first place back then?

I expect that in the next year developers will come to a similar conclusion regarding the Wii like they did with the DS already in regards to shoehorning the systems more exotic functions into games. Some have already gotten the idea with titles like No More Heroes.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
Actually, developers tend to say it's easier to make the PS3 version first and port it to the Xbox 360 (the reason being that the PS3 is harder to program for, so it's easier to take that version and then make the Xbxo 360 version than it is to start with Xbxo 360 and try to port it to PS3).
Whatever. The amount of nitpicking on these boards is both phenomenal and mind boggling. I was going by the fact that more 3rd parties games (not released simultaneously) are released on 360 first. Either way, the point remains the same.