Author Topic: Iwata kicks off GDC 09 with a keynote  (Read 20475 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Iwata kicks off GDC 09 with a keynote
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Will Ian get his precious arcade Donkey Kong?

Online Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
So wait, the VC arcade is available now?

According to several sources, yes it is.

This should make things very interesting in the future since Arcade games will be hitting the Virtual Console now.  And since Nintendo is allowing us to download games directly to SD cards, with the highest up to 32 gigs, the possibilities are now endless.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
I wonder...since size no longers seems to be a problem with the WiiWare can we get some ports of XBLA games, even if they are not in HD?

Really, the only reason to keep developers away from creating bigger WiiWare titles is pride.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
so many fun thoughts and ideas! Hell yeah Nintendo!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »
Nintendo should have really went crazy with the storage solution and allowed for USB storage media to be used as well. Then that deal with the lack of space issue totally.

Either way I have 2GB to play with!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
^This.

Why they didn't announce a USB storage media is beyond me. Why are they taking this in baby steps?!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
if they allow USB storage then they couldn't charge you $150 for a Nintendo branded SDHC card to all the unsuspecting casuals out there.

I also think they have some sort of SD agreement or license or something along those lines

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
Downloaded my new channel, awesome. And I had no interest in phantom hour glass(though im probably going to get it any way) but that train in Spirit Tracks has won me over!

Anyone notice this over at N-europe?

Geoff Keighley has revealed that Nintendo's big surprise at the GDC wasn't The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks...

The prospect of a new Zelda game on the DS has already sent the N-E team into a prolonged collective orgasm, but it looks like we haven't even seen everything Nintendo has to offer yet.

Geoff Keighley, the host of Gametrailers.com's show GTTV and their Bonus Round video series, posted this on his Twitter account moments ago...

"To answer your Qs, no Zelda is not the big surprise. That comes later today."

Both that, the Wii update, all the Final Fantasy titles and Nintendo's DSiWare and WiiWare plans was big news to us. What else could Nintendo possibly have planned?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:46:58 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Wow more to come? Can't wait. Already the surprise launch of the Storage Solution was surprise enough.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
he tweeted again! haha!

Big surprise is multi-platform. And it goes down in about 6 or 7 hours.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »
hmmm.... Metal Gear?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »
FFXIII on all 3 consoles.
That's why you haven't heard anything about it in months.
1st DQIX, then DQX now FFXIII

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »
Oh nice, finally a storage solution... Wasn't that the excuse many people offered about why they stopped downloading games?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
For those that want to keep track of Geoff Keighley.
http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
Why they didn't announce a USB storage media is beyond me. Why are they taking this in baby steps?!
I don't understand it either, that's what I was hoping for. I don't have an SD card but I do have a USB flash drive which has outlived its usefulness.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »
I don't understand it either, that's what I was hoping for. I don't have an SD card but I do have a USB flash drive which has outlived its usefulness.

SD Cards are more commonly used in cel-phones and digital cameras. I'm betting Nintendo thinks people get easier access to SD Cards than external hard drives. I know my celphone came with one SD Card, and that's the one I've been using on my Wii.

But really, considering this solves the storage problem who are we to complain? SD Cards are cheap anyway.

And another game announcement? I hope that guy isn't pulling out hair...

...Maybe its FF XIII the on rails shooter mini game fest?

....OH GOD DAMN THIS STUPID NEVER ENDING MEME!!!!!!!!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
Cheap yes, but still requires a purchase.
USB flash drives are pretty common too you know. I know lots of people who have them because they are the easiest way to move data from one computer to the other. How hard could it be to implement support for them?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »

If people didn't have a problem purchasing a 250 dollar console, shelling out 90 bucks for Wii Fit and 30 to 50 bucks on games it shouldn't be a problem to buy an SD Card, especially since those are everywhere.

All I am saying is that while I agree that they could have added more external memory support they at least with one that is cheap and easy to find.

We really shouldn't be looking at the gift horse in the mouth.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
I'm specifically looking for the gift horse in my mouth.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »

If people didn't have a problem purchasing a 250 dollar console, shelling out 90 bucks for Wii Fit and 30 to 50 bucks on games it shouldn't be a problem to buy an SD Card, especially since those are everywhere.

All I am saying is that while I agree that they could have added more external memory support they at least with one that is cheap and easy to find.

*raises an eyebrow*

Sorry, but I'm not going to bow down to Nintendo for adding a feature to the Wii that should have been there since Day 1.  Nintendo didn't put this feature in just because they felt like "giving" us something.  They put it in because it will entice developers to make bigger, better games on WiiWare.  That it placates us as well is just a nice bonus for them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »
I know people who spent $400 for a new 360 with the bigger HD.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »

*raises an eyebrow*

Sorry, but I'm not going to bow down to Nintendo for adding a feature to the Wii that should have been there since Day 1.  Nintendo didn't put this feature in just because they felt like "giving" us something.  They put it in because it will entice developers to make bigger, better games on WiiWare.  That it placates us as well is just a nice bonus for them.

And in the end, everyone wins.

Developers get to make bigger, better games for WiiWare. Bigger VC games can be released and gamers can easily store them without fear of moving the fridge around, and the solution is cheap and easy to find. And Nintendo gets to have a big and varied service.

Really, there's nothing bad about this unless you want to see something bad.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

*raises an eyebrow*

And in the end, everyone wins.

Developers get to make bigger, better games for WiiWare. Bigger VC games can be released and gamers can easily store them without fear of moving the fridge around, and the solution is cheap and easy to find. And Nintendo gets to have a big and varied service.

Really, there's nothing bad about this unless you want to see something bad.

Indeed.  As I said, the only problem I have with this release is that it's over 2 years too late.  Just imagine what we might be seeing on WiiWare right now if Nintendo actually gave developers the space they needed to fulfill their visions (and multi-console developers the space they needed to bring their work to Wii as well) when the Wii launched.  Instead, we have...well...a WiiWare service with about 3-5 games actually worth buying and a whole lot of crap.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »
Considering the service has only been active for a year I doubt damage has been done.

For the record, XBLA doesn't have that many masterpieces either.

The only thing that has been affected has been the Virtual Console, and even then it doesn't compare to the power of WiiWare.

Really I think you are being overly dramatic and angsty. Sure, we ALL wanted the solution sooner, but the important thing is that we got it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:26:24 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »
^This.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is being cautious and taking their time so they don't make it easier for the homebrew/pirate crowd.
is your sanity...