Author Topic: Iwata kicks off GDC 09 with a keynote  (Read 20506 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Iwata kicks off GDC 09 with a keynote
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
Quote from: GDC press release
NINTENDO PRESIDENT SATORU IWATA TO KEYNOTE THE 2009 GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE

Nintendo Chief Returns to the GDC to Kick-Off Main Conference With Lecture Focused on Discovering New Development Opportunities

SAN FRANCISCO—Jan. 27, 2009— Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo Co., Ltd. will deliver a keynote address at the 2009 Game Developers Conference, kicking-off the main conference’s schedule of lectures, panel discussions and roundtables that provide the central forum for learning, inspiration, and networking in the games industry. The address, “Discovering New Development Opportunities” marks Iwata-san’s first return to the GDC keynote stage since 2006. The Game Developers Conference takes place March 23-27 at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco.

Being a developer himself, Iwata’s keynote lectures at the Game Developers Conference are known for inspiring other developers to think about creating games in new and different ways. His 2005 keynote gave developers the first information about the technology being used for the next-generation console then codenamed “Revolution” which has since become known as the Wii. In 2006, Iwata spoke about “disrupting development,” and introduced the Western development community to philosophies on engaging new players, surprising existing players and the role the company’s video game systems would play in expanding the market and widening the possibilities for developers.

“The Game Developers Conference is thrilled to welcome Satoru Iwata back to the keynote stage,” said Meggan Scavio, Event Director of the GDC. “His previous talks at the GDC can be credited with setting the stage for much of the huge growth the games industry has since seen, and attendees continue to talk about how both lectures impacted their perspective on development. We are confident that Iwata’s keynote this year will be added to the list of memorable GDC talks. Attendees are eager to know how he will inspire them this year.”

Born in 1959 in the Hokkaido Prefecture of Japan, Iwata studied at and graduated from the Tokyo Institute of Technology University, where he majored in computer science. Shortly after graduating, Iwata joined HAL Laboratory, Inc. and in 1983 began coordinating the software production and development of Nintendo titles, such as the Kirby series. By 1993, he had become president of that company. In 2000, Iwata moved to Nintendo Co., Ltd. as the head of the Corporate Planning division, where he was responsible for Nintendo’s global corporate planning. In 2002, he was named president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. where he continues to guide development of games with the passion of a game creator.

Satoru Iwata’s keynote, “Discovering New Development Opportunities,” is scheduled for Wednesday, March 25, 2009 from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. PST in the Esplanade Room of the Moscone Center’s South Hall.

The Game Developers Conference is the largest professional industry event dedicated to the creation of games, including computer, console, mobile, arcade, online games, and location based entertainment. It is the central forum for learning, inspiration, and networking in the games industry. The GDC attracts over 18,000 attendees, and is the main global forum where programmers, artists, producers, game designers, audio professionals, business decision makers and others involved in the development of interactive games gather to exchange ideas and shape the future of the industry.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Iwata kicks off GDC 09 with a keynote
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »
Iwata's speech:

Mean funny joke has been edited voluntarily

User was warned for this post. ~Pale
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:53:34 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:33:28 PM »
LOL

But seriously, can't wait to hear what Iwata has to say.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »
*Drool*

I hope it's about Miyamoto's patent.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
*Drool*

That could be it! Regardless I'm glad to see Nintendo seems to be taking GDC seriously with the head man. If I recall they haven't had a big presence for quite awhile there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:47:25 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »
*Drool*

That could be it! Regardless I'm glad to see Nintendo seems to be taking GDC seriously with the head man. If I recall they haven't had a big presence for quite awhile there.

Well, in 2007 Miyamoto did a keynote about Miis which was excellent, and iNiS did a keynote on the creation of Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents. Nintendo has been doing great stuff at GDC.

Iwata's speech:

"We are cruising now. Sure we are publishing some pretty big titles but we consider ourselves on cruise control and our development staff is taking a very long break from making games. Please keep on buying Wii Fit"

Then cue the legions of angry journalists writing rants about how Nintendo is wrong with this philosophy ;) .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:52:50 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »
Ok it looks like I was mistaken then. What event was BWii and Strikers revealed at?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
Ok it looks like I was mistaken then. What event was BWii and Strikers revealed at?

I believe it was at a German game conference.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
Quote from: pap64
Then cue the legions of angry journalists writing rants about how Nintendo is wrong with this philosophy :).
Cue the angry fanbase which lashes out at them for not reviewing games properly... and sounding like elitist hogs.  ;)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
to be honest i really want to hear more about Motion Plus. This is game developers conference that would be best time to discuss it more. I know some 3rd party publishers already have it but still give details and more illustrations to what it can do.

i also fully expect wiiware news in this, so it should be a great show

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
Then cue the legions of angry journalists writing rants about how Nintendo is wrong with this philosophy :).
Cue the angry fanbase which lashes out at them for not reviewing games properly... and sounding like elitist hogs.  ;)

It just wouldn't be complete without the fanbase! :D
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
I agree that this would be an ideal time to talk about Motion Plus.  I could certainly see that being the topic.  This is about game development and talking about a new control scheme and such would make a lot of sense.

Though they may just talk about what they've recently done and what they learned from it and how it affected the market and such.  If they take that approach they'll probably talk about the development of Wii Music.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
Well here are what I think will be strong possibilities that he will talk about:

DSi
Motion Plus
Wii' storage solution (IGN hinted that it's dropping on March check out the IGN voice chat thread I posted up)
Possible hints on Nintendo projects for Wii and DS.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »
Then cue the legions of angry journalists writing rants about how Nintendo is wrong with this philosophy ;) .

I completely anticipate this. There was such a negative response to Miyamoto's GDC talk. It wasn't an E3 announcement opportunity, but Miyamoto was giving people pearls, gems of wisdom, and an inner look at the philosophies of Nintendo. And people were walking out early because all they heard was that he tested games on his wife.

Nintendo is light years ahead of almost anyone in the gaming media.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »
Great idea. Show third parties how to use Motion Plus at GDC so they'll have something to show off in time for E3 2010.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »

I completely anticipate this. There was such a negative response to Miyamoto's GDC talk. It wasn't an E3 announcement opportunity, but Miyamoto was giving people pearls, gems of wisdom, and an inner look at the philosophies of Nintendo. And people were walking out early because all they heard was that he tested games on his wife.

I remember that now, Miyamoto actually talked about ::gasp:: Game development at the Game Developers Conference! The horror of it all. ;)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
Great idea. Show third parties how to use Motion Plus at GDC so they'll have something to show off in time for E3 2010.

I bet some are shown at E3 2009. Probably Red Steel 2 and more then likely a couple of other surprised.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »

That really happened? I thought the keynote was a success especially since it gave people an idea of how Miyamoto does the things he does. The Mii concept alone was fantastic, and didn't realize that it took them so many years in order to perfect it and gave us a rare look at forgotten projects.

Is the gaming media so out of it that they got to GDC EXPECTING game announcements?

I know they show off the latest technology, advancements in game development and the latest games that use said technology, but it ain't E3.

I'm personally not expecting any big game announcements.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
Is the gaming media so out of it that they got to GDC EXPECTING game announcements?
The game media is like taking a little four year old to a toy store.

They will throw a "IWANTTHATTOYGIVEITTOMENOW" tantrum if you don't buy the toy you want.

Replace buying the toy with no game annoucements and the tantrum with "NINTENDOHASNOCOREGAMESITSTEHCASUAL!!11". With that, the cycle is complete! :D
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
Thought this was hilarious

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11223

Iwata from 2006 on his disruption theory of the industry.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »

That really happened? I thought the keynote was a success especially since it gave people an idea of how Miyamoto does the things he does. The Mii concept alone was fantastic, and didn't realize that it took them so many years in order to perfect it and gave us a rare look at forgotten projects.

I know they show off the latest technology, advancements in game development and the latest games that use said technology, but it ain't E3.

I'm personally not expecting any big game announcements.

Well, in their defense, it WAS 1 .5 hour presentation. &P

But yeah, people started leaving around the 1 hour mark, and there was some negativity and underwhelm-ent afterwards in media impressions.

The game media is like taking a little four year old to a toy store.

They will throw a "IWANTTHATTOYGIVEITTOMENOW" tantrum if you don't buy the toy you want.

Replace buying the toy with no game annoucements and the tantrum with "NINTENDOHASNOCOREGAMESITSTEHCASUAL!!11". With that, the cycle is complete! :D

Pretty much. I mean, that's a gross generalization, but I think it has some truth in it. I don't know if it's getting better now, or maybe people are just getting tired of yelling at the top of their lungs.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
I'd think we'd all should have learned by now, just because Nintendo isn't talking about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This has been true for a VERY long time. You really have to have your head in a deep hole to think Nintendo isn't working hard on core games with their key development teams.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
GUYS! Let's talk about what we think this keynote will be about.  Not our predictions for arguments that may or may not come based on discussions that may or may not happen.  PLEASE!

I really hope we see some of the DLC stuff that is going to happen on the DSi.  I'm really excited about that piece of hardware for just that reason, and GDC is a great place to talk about games from smaller devs.

I also hope we see the rest of what is going to be in Wii Sports Resort.  I'm holding out for basketball.

Then I hope he ends it with a trailer for a big time game of some sort.  Kid Icarus (don't shoot me), New Zelda, New Pokemon, something like that.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
I don't expect game announcements beyond maybe a token game but the talk will probably be interesting anyway.

Considering this is Iwata I think he'll focus on the business aspects of it.  “Discovering New Development Opportunities” sounds like it's about deciding which direction to develop into, not how to utilize technology or get on Nintendo's services. Maybe he'll give third parties a lecture on how to appeal to Wii users...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 03:44:17 PM »
We can't forget though that Nintendo is in the business of selling stuff, so they will treat it as much as a commercial as possible.

That's why I think Wii Sports and DSi both fit in so well.  New development opportunies with new hardware and DLC respectively.

Also, contrary to what GDC should be, I think Nintendo realizes that there is a perception out there by some that 2008 was a weaker year (maybe they should have delayed smash or kart to November) so they will want to spice things up in some form.  That's why I'm hoping for a trailer, like they did with Phantom Hourglass.

I do fully expect S&P2 and Punch Out to be playable on the floor though.

I wish I could go this year.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram