Author Topic: Madworld  (Read 108899 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Madworld
« Reply #400 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »
If you rent this game instead of buying it, you are EVIL and part of the problem. You will make Kairon cry as well.

Meh.  I already bought VJ 1 and 2.  They'll be fine.  I'm not paying 50 bones for 5 hours.  Thats 10 bux an hour.

I totally don't agree with that sentiment.  You can beat many fantastic games in 5 hours and they're all worth at least $50 because of replayability.  And I can already tell I'll be replaying MadWorld quite a few times. 

Not to mention it has a multiplayer mode to mess around in.

Isn't all of the multiplayer off-line?  I don't have any friends in reality up for this kind of masochism.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 17, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
If you rent this game instead of buying it, you are EVIL and part of the problem. You will make Kairon cry as well.

Meh.  I already bought VJ 1 and 2.  They'll be fine.  I'm not paying 50 bones for 5 hours.  Thats 10 bux an hour.

I totally don't agree with that sentiment.  You can beat many fantastic games in 5 hours and they're all worth at least $50 because of replayability.  And I can already tell I'll be replaying MadWorld quite a few times.

What replayability, though?  You can go back to previous stages to try to beat your best score, I suppose you can experiment a bit more with different combinations of kills, and there's a sadistically-difficult Hard Mode.  Oh, and 2 bonus weapons to toy with.  Whatever.  It's not like there's additional story content or bonus endings or whanot.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 17, 2009, 10:03:26 PM »
I don't have any friends in reality up for this kind of masochism.

Get better friends, goddamn. I don't think I could be friends with anyone who didn't think this game was awesome.

It's not like there's additional story content or bonus endings or whanot.

Cancer killing video games, right here.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 17, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
It's not like there's additional story content or bonus endings or whanot.

Cancer killing video games, right here.

Well excuse the hell out of me.  I'm not 10 anymore, when I could just endlessly replay games over and over again because I had all the time in the world to do so (and no money to get more than 2-3 games a year).  I work literally 12 hours a day right now, and as you can imagine I have quite a backlog right now between my PS2 (soon to be PS3...I hope) and Wii.  So to me, a game only has great replay ability if I have a compelling reason to play it again when I have so many other things I could be playing or doing.  Madworld doesn't have that, and you can go on all day about how "back in the day this" and "back in the day that," but it doesn't matter.  The game doesn't have an extraordinary reason to play it again, and honestly the main game isn't that great to begin with.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »
What replayability, though?  You can go back to previous stages to try to beat your best score, I suppose you can experiment a bit more with different combinations of kills, and there's a sadistically-difficult Hard Mode.  Oh, and 2 bonus weapons to toy with.  Whatever.  It's not like there's additional story content or bonus endings or whanot.

I guess it just comes down to how much you enjoy a game.  Even if there isn't anything new another time through, a game can still be fun to play again. 

And to those who say the standard difficulty level is too easy, I must suck.  Because I had to retry the "Frank" level 3 or 4 times before beating it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2009, 12:19:43 AM »
And to those who say the standard difficulty level is too easy, I must suck.  Because I had to retry the "Frank" level 3 or 4 times before beating it.

Man I hated that level, if only because "Frank" gave me a lot of problems till I figured out what you're supposed to do to beat him, and failing to figure out a boss means repeating the entire 20-30 minute stage all over again.

Frank is the worst you'll have of boss fights for quite a while, but the normal enemies get dramatically harder from here on out (especially in the next world).

Offline braineater2448

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »
I just saw this contest on VGChartz sponsored by Sega.  You get a chance to win a really rare (and awesome!) MadWorld hoodie.  Not to mention a bunch of copies of the game are going to be given out.  Anyway, has anyone here entered?

http://vgchartz.com/madworld.php

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2009, 12:46:15 AM »
Wii gamers hate games. More at 11.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2009, 05:27:34 PM »
I decided to rent Madworld instead, and will send back the copy i bought, but i pushed it up to high priority so i hope i get it soon.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 19, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »
I decided to rent Madworld instead, and will send back the copy i bought, but i pushed it up to high priority so i hope i get it soon.

Careful, GP will make Kairon cry with actions like that!  ;)
From the sound of things I think this will be my next buy once I have $$$.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »

And I thought Plugabugz was one of the nice guys here. :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2009, 08:59:17 PM »
I'm not working so i cant justify spending money on any game right now anyway.

Unless you want to give me £27 to cover it? :)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
PAL gamers beware: Madworld does not support 60hz display here, and so runs only in black borders and at slower speed (about 83% of the game's original NTSC speed).

And so, I have officially wasted my money - I won't play it like this. None of the PAL review sites picked up on this issue, I guess they must've been playing the US version and just assumed that Sega/Platinum weren't living in the 1990s.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
PAL gamers beware: Madworld does not support 60hz display here, and so runs only in black borders and at slower speed (about 83% of the game's original NTSC speed).

And so, I have officially wasted my money - I won't play it like this. None of the PAL review sites picked up on this issue, I guess they must've been playing the US version and just assumed that Sega/Platinum weren't living in the 1990s.

Sad.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »

Wow, those reviewers really dropped the ball, its definitely in their job description to catch BS like this.  Sorry to hear that Greg, that really sucks.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 20, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »

I declare that you must bust this story wide open.  Use your journalistic powers to fight for the benefit of all PAL countries.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 20, 2009, 04:00:56 PM »

I declare that you must bust this story wide open.  Use your journalistic powers to fight for the benefit of all PAL countries.

Post some big scathing article on the main NWR site and email Sega about the issue. That issue should really never happen. Honestly game companies should just give up on Europe if they won't even put effort into making the games work in your region.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 20, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »

Post some big scathing article on the main NWR site and email Sega about the issue. That issue should really never happen. Honestly game companies should just give up on Europe if they won't even put effort into making the games work in your region.

Do it!!  It'll bring some great traffic to the site too, really dig your CLAWS into them!!!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 20, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »

Here is a visual  on what Greg is talking about
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

Here is a visual  on what Greg is talking about

As bad as those boarders are, its the slow speed that would REALLY piss me off, any footage of that?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 20, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »
Greg (or KDR) does/would the same issues arise at 480p?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #421 on: March 20, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
Looks like it's only drawing at 640x448 (this i confirmed in captures), and cheaply left the top/bottom blank without filling the PAL-576 vertical spec.  Additionally, it's a 30fps game slowed down to 25fps.

It is already common knowledge that the game does not support progressive scan.

At best the game is running in tired old NTSC.  At worst, it's running on a shoddy PAL conversion.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 20, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »

Madworld does not support 480p even for the North American version as NinGurl points out. Basically if you have the NTSC game it's 480i only, and if you have the PAL game it's 576i only with borders and 50hz speed.

Rest assured we will look into this and then formulate an appropriate response.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:48:31 PM by Yoshidious »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 20, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »
I didn't know that, thanks Greg/Daisy. I'm glad this game is being rented now.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 20, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »

Madworld does not support 480p even for the North American version as NinGurl points out. Basically if you have the NTSC game it's 480i only, and if you have the PAL game it's 576i only with borders and 50hz speed.

Rest assured we will look into this and then formulate an appropriate response.

NWR Scoop FTW!!!