Author Topic: Madworld  (Read 108968 times)

Re: Madworld
« Reply #450 on: March 26, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »
I bought Madworld a few days ago, and while it seems like a quality game, it's just not my cup of tea.  I'm kind of wishing that I would have bought Deadly Creatures, instead. 

Madworld's greatest strength is also its greatest flaw, so far as I'm concerned.  The black and white graphics are nothing if not eye-catching, but I have serious trouble seeing enemies against the backgrounds. 
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2009, 12:50:13 AM »
I felt the similar about Madworld reverend. It works better with an audience or passing the controller back and forth.

Deadly Creatures in my opinion is a superior game. The motion controls are good, and the exploration is fun.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 26, 2009, 12:53:16 AM »
I have serious trouble seeing enemies against the backgrounds. 

Could be the levels. Varrigan City may be a bit disorienting, but hopefully you get used to it. The next hub is easier on the eyes IMO.

Thanks for the pix Pro.

Now, in MY eyes, the first picture is the sharpest, the second one the least sharpest, and the third the 2nd sharpest. I focused on the outline of Jack's head for reference. In this case, sharpness is what matters, since the color palette is minimal to say the least... Though you gotta wonder who was running QA for Platinum/Sega...

Oh well. I'll save hard mode for a rainy day. Or a gaming drought!
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 26, 2009, 03:36:26 AM »
Get better eyesight.

EDIT: Once you beat Deadly Creatures, there's no reason to play again. The same could be said of MadWorld, but chainsawing dudes in half>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>goofy motion-based spider punches

EDIT2: Also Mushroom Men is WAY better than Deadly Creatures. Both in terms of gameplay and exploration.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:39:05 AM by Dirk Temporo »
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #454 on: March 26, 2009, 05:02:56 AM »
I have serious trouble seeing enemies against the backgrounds. 

Could be the levels. Varrigan City may be a bit disorienting, but hopefully you get used to it. The next hub is easier on the eyes IMO.

Thanks for the pix Pro.

Now, in MY eyes, the first picture is the sharpest, the second one the least sharpest, and the third the 2nd sharpest. I focused on the outline of Jack's head for reference. In this case, sharpness is what matters, since the color palette is minimal to say the least... Though you gotta wonder who was running QA for Platinum/Sega...

Oh well. I'll save hard mode for a rainy day. Or a gaming drought!

The first pic is in native resolution, pixel for pixel.  You're not going to see that in real life without a native SD display.

Once you move on to HDTVs and scaling is introduced, "sharpness" is OBLITERATED.

The point of the pics aren't to point out image quality, it's to illustrate PROPORTIONS.

1st pic is the source.  It's not realistic, you probably won't see it in reality without an EDTV w/ dual full/wide modes.

2nd/3rd pic should be treated as if they're on the same HDTV, i.e. scaling has fudged or destroyed pixels.

3rd pic is just the first pic squished.  With more unused/empty space in the source, the less effective real estate you end up with after squishing.  It only looks sharper in your web browser because the picture is smaller.  It's natural for images to look sharper when they're shrunk, and softer when enlarged.

The 2nd pic looks soft for the reason above, reflective of HDTV rape.  Had the image been displayed on a native EDTV with a proper widescreen mode, the image would not be scaled and the pixels would not be fudged:  the pixels are changed to look fat/wide instead of true squares, resulting in an image that would be just as sharp as the 1st pic, as the image would be accurately presented, pixel for pixel.

On HDTVs, 2nd and 3rd "scenarios" are equally blurry messes, with the 3rd pic having the misfortune of being unfairly bordered and squished.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #455 on: March 26, 2009, 05:30:10 AM »
Get better eyesight.

Telling me to get better eyesight so I can play more video games is like telling a drunkard to get a better liver so he can drink more booze.  Really, it's a cycle of abuse.  I will admit to being easily disoriented by games though...I seldom play first-person shooters for that very reason.

I'm really not going to say anything bad about Madword, because from what I've played of it, it's just a darn good game.  Everything about it suggests that it's an acquired taste.  It stopped being funny a few levels in, and while exploring stages to find the most creative way to kill people is extremely inventive...it's just not clicking with me.

Shyguy makes an interesting point; I can see how the game might take on a new dimension if you had an audience of guys yukking it up around you.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 05:36:56 AM by ReverendNoahWhateley »
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:02 AM »
Yeah, I understand. Games like this definitely aren't for everybody.
-Travis Touchdown

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
Recent GoHobo/NeoGafHobo "news" revisits the PAL conversion issue.  Has a bunch of gaffers arguing what's true/not and matters/not.  The pix posted earlier illustrate the issue more clearly and directly as opposed to squishy blurry side-to-side youtube vids.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2009, 05:57:30 PM »
NintenHobo World ReHobo dot calm

I hear this game is half price in PAL land.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #459 on: April 06, 2009, 06:16:45 PM »
Soon it might be half of half price.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #460 on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »
I bought Madworld a few days ago, and while it seems like a quality game, it's just not my cup of tea.  I'm kind of wishing that I would have bought Deadly Creatures, instead. 

Madworld's greatest strength is also its greatest flaw, so far as I'm concerned.  The black and white graphics are nothing if not eye-catching, but I have serious trouble seeing enemies against the backgrounds. 

And here we have why people aren't buying the game in droves.

Madworld might be a great game, but its a game that lacks wide appeal. Yes, it might have core starved Wii gamers going gaga, but the same might not be for every gamer.

Not saying the game sucks. I think its very creative and solid and deserves the praise it is getting. But we also have to be realistic and admit that while a fantastic game Madworld might not cater to everyone and thus the ones buying it come from a small niche in the Wii fanbase.

I still think it will have legs, though. And might hit 300,000 K soon.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 06, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »

I'll match you at 300k and raise it to 540k. I think the PAL issue is a major problem with sales.

Madworld might be a great game, but its a game that lacks wide appeal. Yes, it might have core starved Wii gamers going gaga, but the same might not be for every gamer.

Not saying the game sucks. I think its very creative and solid and deserves the praise it is getting. But we also have to be realistic and admit that while a fantastic game Madworld might not cater to everyone and thus the ones buying it come from a small niche in the Wii fanbase.

EDIT
Where did my text go? Strange...

What I thought I typed was that I would meet your wager of 300k, Pap, and would raise it to 540k.
I don't expect phenomenal sales but it will probably be a slow burner and sell a good number.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:54:16 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »

I've said it before, but the Wii 3rd party library seems to bounce from one extreme to the other. The hardcore titles are "super hardcore mature" and not broadly appealing like Half Life or Halo or World of Warcraft. And the mainstream titles are extremely mainstream like WiiSports/Play/Fit

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 07, 2009, 03:04:41 AM »
Meh, I'll still wait for long-term sales data before saying "I told you so". I don't think it'll be a long term seller but I wouldn't call it impossible either.

I've said it before, but the Wii 3rd party library seems to bounce from one extreme to the other. The hardcore titles are "super hardcore mature" and not broadly appealing like Half Life or Halo or World of Warcraft. And the mainstream titles are extremely mainstream like WiiSports/Play/Fit

Maybe the difference is that one side listens to the gamers, the other to their wallet? Listening to gamers will result in some niche thing that the gamers don't really want to play.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
"If they give the gamers what they want, the gamers won't want it."

What?
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »

What?

It's called the Twilight Princess effect.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 07, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

What?

I didn't say giving them what they want, I said giving them what they say they want.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 07, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »
I don't know anybody who says they want something they don't, especially when it comes to video games.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 07, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
I don't know anybody who says they want something they don't, especially when it comes to video games.

It's more people saying they would pay for something and then not buy it if it is made.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #469 on: April 07, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
The GoHobo audience.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
So I got this game today and I played it.The controls works well.The graphics are pretty unique and detailed.The speaker is used for chansaw noises.The bloodbath challenges are pretty fun. I fought the first boss thus far and it was pretty funny how he ended up. Overall it is a good game so far.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #471 on: April 20, 2009, 01:52:48 AM »
Well I got a bit further and I am fighting Zombies.I was fighting this guy that was a wolf. Pretty fun fight.I would have to say the Sumo Wrester was my favorite boss so far.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 20, 2009, 02:06:07 AM »
Well I think TP will age well. It just didn't get a great immediate response. I'm already itching to replay it.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 20, 2009, 02:15:48 AM »

*headdesk*

"If I'd asked the customers what they want they'd have said a faster horse."

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:48 AM »
Anyway I made it up to Frank.Any tips for him? He keeps on hitting me into the water and the electrocutes me.
Alexis, she/her/Miss