Author Topic: Are Retro working on something new?  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Are Retro working on something new?
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:57:35 AM »
Wandering onto their website, there is a small piece of info that suggests they are working on something else other that Metroid Prime.

We are now working hard on a new project that will be announced soon.

Given that Metroid Prime 3 - which is probably being worked on but at lesser a pace - will now appear on the Revolution, it's possible something new will arrive at the end of the Cube's life or into Revolution's new one, possibly(?) as a launch title.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Are Retro working on something new?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 04:01:30 AM »
Metroid Prime 3 is new.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:11:30 AM »
I'm being teh opt1misticz!!!

Nothing wrong with Metroid Prime, just I don't want to see them typecast.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 06:46:55 AM »
Yeah, i'm thinking they might have another game in the works, they've got to have had something on the side during Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2, but who knows.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 07:38:36 AM »
I hope they're working on something new but they're probably just working on Metroid Prime 3.  Nintendo is on a total sequel fixation right now.  When they talked about Rev games in the works they mentioned Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.  It's all about the franchises as if, you know, the franchise games that didn't sell Cubes are going to sell Revs.  But whatever.  At least we'll still get something good even if it's very familiar.  I'll buy Metroid Prime 3 and I'll probably like it but I think it's far too soon to release another sequel.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:02:50 AM »
Prime 2 was already superfluous, I hope they're not wasting their talent on another one of these games.

I'm pretty sure the franchise games sold Cubes, just not in the way you expect. They made the Cube appeal to fanboys (you know, the fanbase Nintendo isn't supposed to alienate) and therefore sold a lot to that demographic alone. Sure, they didn't buy it for a specific game but they bought it for the promise of Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other sequels. Look at what these fanboys expect from the Revolution, another Zelda, another Mario and another Metroid.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 08:20:01 AM »
Metroid Prime Hunters! Can't forget that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Are Retro working on something new?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 09:08:41 AM »
Retro isn't making Metroid Prime Hunters, NST is developing that title.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 03:13:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I hope they're working on something new but they're probably just working on Metroid Prime 3.  Nintendo is on a total sequel fixation right now.  When they talked about Rev games in the works they mentioned Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.  It's all about the franchises as if, you know, the franchise games that didn't sell Cubes are going to sell Revs.  But whatever.  At least we'll still get something good even if it's very familiar.  I'll buy Metroid Prime 3 and I'll probably like it but I think it's far too soon to release another sequel.

You left out the new franchise Miyamoto is working on that Iwata emphasised, and what are they supposed to say? We have a game called "Sea Chipmunks" coming to Revolution, get excited!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »
Most definitely!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »
Nintendo has been releasing a million Metroid games lately. After a decade of no Metroid I guess they're making up for lost time. Metroid Prime, Fusion, Prime 2, Hunters, Pinball, and Zero Mission. All since November 17, 2002. Five games in less than 3 years. Wow.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 05:43:36 PM »
We've all heard rumors of the supposed awesome shooter being developed for the launch of the Revolution (or the end of Gamecube, I forgot). Personally, I'd like to see Retro develop it. There isn't ANYONE better at level design. ANYONE.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 07:17:21 PM »
I'd like to see RavenBlade make a come back on the Rev =D
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »
I think Prime 3 should be the last Prime game.  I've had enough Phazon, k thx.

I'm beating Prime 2 on Hard Mode, and I just beat the Boost Guardian after trying about 20 (no exaggeration) times.  I hope the new Metroid game is even harder

Anyway, I don't so much mind the announcement of this game.  I'm looking forward to it.  But I'm not really excited about or even intereted in Hunters.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 10:02:55 PM »
I haven't even beat the boost guardian after that many tries on normal mode...

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »
Retro's textures are incredible as well, things in MP just look sort of ... real,  It's very hard to see where the polygons are because their textures are so good.  This is in stark contrast with Nintendo itself, whose textures always seem little low-res to me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 07:05:28 AM »
i think metroid might even moveo nto another level with next gen graphics..its already a damn pretty game. Metroid Prime 3 looked pretty good on video. It didnt look that different...but im sure we'll be able to tell the difference when we actually see it running.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 04:13:04 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I haven't even beat the boost guardian after that many tries on normal mode...

yeah that took me awhile and the time I beat him I forgot to scan. Noooo!

EDIT: Back on topic... I'd like to see a new game from Retro before MP3. A shooter doesn't really interest me though as much as it did back in the day of the 64. In fact it was probably MP itself that made me realize that an FPS by itself is quite dull. Having said that if there is anyone that can avoid making a cookie cutter FPS it would be Retro.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 06:21:20 PM »
If Retro really wants to showcase their talents, they're going to have to design a first person (adventure or shooter) utilizing some serious co-op via Revolution's WiFi.  I know this is a GCN topic, but Retro should commit themselves to creating the ultimate co-op first person game that will sell the Revolution.  I don't think Ravenblade will be that appealing because today's epic RPGs all will need some serious CG work.  I don't think Nintendo will support production values for a game that ambitious.  If they do decide to deliver, they're going to fall short in a major way.  They should just try to reinvent the first person shooter (again).

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
"I don't think Ravenblade will be that appealing because today's epic RPGs all will need some serious CG work."

Retro's ingame cutscenes are more impressive to me than most CG cutscenes I've seen...The gap between CG and realtime is closing and Retro is the closest to closing that gap...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 09:22:53 AM »
Yeah, I don't think the gap between real time and CG will even be worth talking about next generation (unless Nintendo's system is UNDERPOWEREDZ!)  CG will be for companies that want to waste disc space and other resources.

I'd definitely like to see Retro do something original before going back to Metroid.  I'm sure Nintendo already has plenty of sequels in the works for Revolution, I can wait a couple of years for a new Metroid if it means getting something brand-new instead.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 07:15:19 AM »
Id rather get Metroid and something knew. There are numerous other developers that can produce besides Retro. Besides why couldnt retro make two games at once like alot of other developers.  But id rather have them concentrate on MP3 to make it the best game ever.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 09:03:31 AM »
I'd rather they DON'T concentrate on Metroid Prime because the first sequel was already too much Prime for me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 09:18:12 AM »
Or how about they concentrate a lot on multiple projects...This is RETRO, they aren't about taking away from something to make something else better...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 06:48:37 AM »
"Concentrate" was used here as "put all their manpower behind".