Author Topic: Super Mario Impressions  (Read 1378 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Super Mario Impressions
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »

Yes, Miyamoto warned us about the camera system, and it's troublesome.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/26601

I can't help but feel a little disappointed with Super Mario 3DS. It's really cool to have the Super Mario Bros. 3 environments and power-ups return. However, the re-introduction of the Super Mario 64-style camera is a big downer for me. The camera doesn't move optimally when viewing with 3D off, making for deadly jumps (sunlight during the demo made it hard to use 3D). Though it looks a lot like a Super Mario Galaxy game, it sure doesn't control like one. The circle pad feels cumbersome, and the focus on smaller platforms exacerbates the issue.

The leaf and tanooki suit have combined into one power, which feels kind of like a Yoshi suit with the way Mario floats down. The addition of some Super Mario Galaxy elements to the Super Mario Bros. 3 environment isn't groundbreaking, but it's a nice combination. A side-scrolling airship and even Boom-Boom returns.

Those are my thoughts. For more details of the actual game elements, I suggest reading Neal's impressions.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
So the game is very similar to SMB3? Is it a remake of sorts? Sad to hear about the controls, hopefully they iron them out (and it is Nintendo, so I trust they'll get those ironed out).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »
It's kind if redundant to say that the Racoon Leaf and Tanooki Suit have been combined, the only difference between the two was that the Tanooki Suit also let you turn into a statue.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »
And Mario looked totally adorbz in the Tanooki suit.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »
Probably because I was there at the begining but I never minded the SM64 camera. Super Mario is the one game that I don't need to read impressions about. I'm 99% sure I'm gonna love it.

Offline nhaines

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
Actually I always liked Raccoon Mario better than Tanooki Mario.

Besides, since Animal Crossing this is what I associate with tanukis: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=169

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:33 AM »
It's kind if redundant to say that the Racoon Leaf and Tanooki Suit have been combined, the only difference between the two was that the Tanooki Suit also let you turn into a statue.
What I getting at is that the leaf now gives Mario a suit instead of just ears and a tail (note that both powers were tanuki powers in Japan, the US localization confused things). However, the suit doesn't let him fly or turn into a statue.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report