Author Topic: Walk of Game Announced  (Read 3561 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Walk of Game Announced
« on: October 01, 2004, 08:07:38 AM »
Vote for your favorite famous games, characters and artists and see their names on San Franciscan stars!

Gamers Worldwide Drive First-Ever Landmark for Videogames as ''Walk of Game'' Voting Opens; Iconic Names from Past and Present Compete for Star on San Francisco's Walk of Game

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 1, 2004--Starting today, gamers from around the globe can cast their official vote for Walk of Game, the industry's first physical landmark honoring video game icons and the impact they have had on the entertainment industry.  

Between October 1 and October 31, 2004, game enthusiasts will visit www.walkofgame.com to cast their votes in the categories of "Game/Character" and "Lifetime Achievement." The top four games/characters and the top two lifetime achievers will be inducted into Walk of Game and have a 24"x24", customized, brushed-steel star installed on the floors of Metreon. The results of the voting will be announced in November 2004, with groundbreaking in 2005.  

Gamers will vote from a list of nominees compiled from a survey of industry members, and technology, entertainment, and gaming media.  

The 2004 Walk of Game nominees are:  

Lifetime Achievement  

Nolan Bushnell: Pong; Shigeru Miyamoto: Donkey Kong, Mario, and Zelda; Sid Meier: Pirates!, Red Storm Rising, and F-19 Stealth Fighter; Will Wright: Sim City and The Sims; and Yu Suzuki: Outrun, Shenmue and Virtua Fighter.  

Games/Characters  

Donkey Kong, Doom, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Half-Life, Halo, Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), Link (The Legend of Zelda), Mario, Master Chief (Halo), Max Payne, Mortal Kombat, Ms. Pac-Man, Myst, Pac-Man, Parappa the Rapper, Pong, Resident Evil, Ryu (Street Fighter), Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Wars, Street Fighter, Tetris, Yorda (Ico), and Zelda (The Legend of Zelda).  

About Metreon  

Metreon is a 350,000 square-foot entertainment complex located at Fourth and Mission streets in the heart of downtown San Francisco.  

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Walk of Game Announced
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 09:07:41 AM »
What the f*ck is Halo doing in the games/characters section?  And with two entries as well.  That's so far a one-hit wonder franchise.  It's too early to determine Halo's lasting power.  This is like in 1994 putting Hootie & The Blowfish on a ballot for the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame because at the time they were THE band in America.  No game franchise created in this gen should be in consideration for this.  It's too new and thus it's importance is inflated because of current fads and trends.

And Maz Payne?  That's not really even a AAA franchise.  Why is that included and not Space Invaders?  I agree with the nominees for Lifetime Achievement but the Games/Characters section is too much like something mainstream media would come up with.

I also think that fans shouldn't be able to vote on this.  It should be entirely industry experts.  There's no way Pong will be chosen because it's so old and most "gamers" these days aren't familiar with it.  The public is, well, stupid and will pick flash-in-the-pan games and exclude truly historically important classics.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 11:42:07 AM »
If Halo wasn't in there, no one would care. I don't either way.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 12:09:20 PM »
what is hideous is that samus isnt there, but halo is *furious beyond his limits* I hate this crappy polls when the fans get to decide, like no long ago I saw Ocarina of Time being beaten up by no other than Diablo II in that stupid gamespy poll of the best game of all time O_o!!!!WTF!? gamers seem to be really idiots this days.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 12:45:27 PM »
That is the most infuriating thing I've ever seen. What hell?
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »
This is worse than G4 and Spike combined.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:39:15 PM »
 Are you kidding?  I think it's stunning that Yorda got enough recognition to at least make it into the nominations.  Man, ICO is so awesome.  And eerie.  I hope that if they do this again that you can nominate the King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 04:55:08 PM »
Myst?!  Screw Myst!
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Walk of Game Announced
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »
Am I the only one who still thinks Will Wright needs to be thrown into a burlap sack and beaten for unleashing the Sims on the world?

Offline cosmo_127

• View Profile
RE:Walk of Game Announced
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 11:39:29 AM »

go shiggy!