Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674421 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Out for the Season (Broken Hand)
« Reply #2000 on: January 12, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »
Whew...the Jazz somehow got out of Washington with a win, despite an abysmal 1st half and being down 15 in the 3rd quarter. For the life of me, I don't understand how Washington decided to play those last 2 minutes (where they were only down 5). They had a possible path to victory playing the foul game with Gobert, but instead waited until the last 20 seconds to foul people, after the game was long since over.

And with that, the Jazz are temporarily the #2 team in the West. Go Nuggets (who play the Clippers tonight).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2001 on: January 14, 2020, 02:52:25 AM »
So Jared Dudley is becoming one of my favorite players on the Lakers.  He knows the dynamics of a team and is a good teammate and defender. Here is his post game interview after the win against the Cavs tonight.

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvf8H6Y8Nc
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2002 on: January 14, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »
So I am curious as to if there is anyone other than me that watches WNBA games and goes to them?   I ask because is it warranted having a topic of its own?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: January 14, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
I watch highlights sometimes, but I generally don’t follow the WNBA. I’d absolutely go to a game. The closest team to me in Philly is the Washington Mystics which just so happens to be the team Elena Delle-Donne plays for. Delle-Donne, Breanna Stewart, and Chiney Ogwumike are the only current players I can name. I’d probably recognize a couple of the other players.

A separate topic makes sense so the posts don’t get lost in the NBA thread. However, I can see the thread just getting buried in General Chat because the WNBA isn’t that popular. I dated a woman who literally said, “I just can’t watch the WNBA. I’ve tried so many times. I can’t do it.” Obviously, she doesn’t represent all women, but I found the sentiment fascinating. It reminds me for that Futurama episode.
For BNM: https://youtu.be/OkeKCLdJNgc

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: January 14, 2020, 03:56:52 PM »
I would watch WNBA games... but I'm not really invested in that league and already struggle to find time to watch games for my very favorite NBA team. In principle I'd like to; in practice it's just not going to happen.

(A similar thing could be said about the NFL; haven't seen a football game in years.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 15, 2020, 12:31:41 AM »
I tried to watch the WNBA those 1st couple of years back when the Jazz had the Starzz as a WNBA affiliate, but I just found it boring and lifeless. It was like watching a less-talented College Basketball game played by players I didn't care about. It certainly didn't help that the league launched during the 1996-1998 Jazz NBA Finals years, so going from that level of basketball to the garbage-tier play of the Starzz was particularly rough.

And judging by how it's pretty much still only a Filler League between NBA seasons 2 decades later, I doubt its general popularity has risen that much since then.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 15, 2020, 09:20:50 AM »
The WNBA, to me, is like watching the NBA pre-Michael Jordan. The league doesn’t (yet) have a player who is so good she changes the sport, so good teams revamp their rosters trying to stop her, so good she’s infinitely marketable. How many young boys picked up a basketball because Michael Jordan became one of the most powerful and decorated athletes in the world? There will never be another Jordan due to his role in legitimizing the game of basketball itself in popular culture. However, I think the WNBA needs that caliber of player to inspire young girls. Sure, they can look at NBA players too, but it’s important for them to have a role model who looks like them and understands the path they have to take. Admittedly easier said than done.

It doesn’t start and end there. Some of the rules could be looked at. For example, there’s a split among women players regarding lowering the rim. Some think it would help advance women’s basketball, show off more around the basket skill. Others think it’d be admitting women’s basketball is inferior to men’s basketball and only suggested for dunking. Both sides make fair points. Dunking isn’t my favorite part of the game, but I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t hype me up in big games. Think about how a player dunking on someone to cap off a big run resulting in the opposing team calling a time out excites the crowd and can turn the tide of an entire game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2007 on: January 16, 2020, 03:56:43 AM »
I think I am going to make a topic for the WNBA and it is going to be informative, detailed with current rosters and how the playoffs are different from the NBA in the coming days.   I will try and get it up in the next few days in between hosting Mafia, doctor appointments and exercising.  Look for it. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:58:20 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2008 on: January 16, 2020, 04:00:07 AM »
And back to your regularly scheduled NBA content...

Top 10 plays of the night.   I love number 4 with JaVale McGee blocking a dunk. 

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8huOPMCGc
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 16, 2020, 07:29:22 AM »
The blocked dunk was great... but wow, those Gordon dunks...    :o
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2010 on: January 16, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
Looks like we have our second trade of the season. 

Atlanta has traded Allen Crabbe to Minnesota for a returning Jeff Teague and Treveon Graham.  Teague will back up Trey Young.   The T-Wolves might be moving pieces to pair Booker with Kat on the T-Wolves or they are sending KAT to the Suns to work on their rebuild. Both the T-Wolves and Suns Rebuild.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/1/16/21068940/atlanta-hawks-trade-allen-crabbe-minnesota-jeff-teague-treveon-graham-details-salary-cap
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 16, 2020, 10:56:01 PM »
Well, sucks to finally lose a game again, but I can't even be mad at this loss to the Pelicans. It was one hell of a game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2012 on: January 17, 2020, 12:23:06 AM »
Oh wow looking at the box score Ingram scored 49 versus a defensive powerhouse with players like Gobert and Bojan.  Like that is wild.   and the Pels aren't even full strength yet.   Zion will be returning on the 22nd though so things may change a lot following that date. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2013 on: January 17, 2020, 12:49:09 AM »
Go Pelicans!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2014 on: January 17, 2020, 12:54:34 AM »
This Warriors/ Nuggets game is turning into a really tight game.  Warriors were up so much at the half. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2015 on: January 17, 2020, 01:08:30 AM »
Wow going into overtime. 113 a piece. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: January 17, 2020, 02:28:36 AM »
.....::sigh::

on to the next one.
at least we kept it close in the end.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:14:19 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2017 on: January 18, 2020, 02:06:41 AM »
The Jump talks Zion and the Pels and possible playoff opportunities.

For BnM:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTF_wGqFQqs
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2018 on: January 18, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »
The WNBA topic is up.  I will get back to editing the 2nd and 3rd post later but it should provide some good discussion to start that initial post.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: January 18, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »
Well, tonight turned out to be a slightly more important game for the Jazz than expected, as Mike Conley made his return in limited minutes on the bench after sitting out 14 games due to a hamstring injury. He didn't exactly light up the scoreboard, but he didn't need to as the Jazz absolutely flattened the Kings (as they should). Quin Snyder should strongly consider making Conley a mainstay of the bench, despite what we're paying for him. Ingles needs to stay in the starting lineup.

Now maybe Jazz fans will have a reason to start buying those damn Mike Conley bobbleheads that the Jazz announcers have been shilling for months.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2020 on: January 19, 2020, 12:18:40 AM »
Well Blazers and Kings did a trade today.
Blazers traded Kent Bazemore and Anthony Toliver and two 2nd round picks to the Kings.
Kings sent over Trevor Ariza, Wenyen Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan.   

Kent Bazemore is a decent young player so that will help the Kings and Tolliver is an okay big that can shoot the 3 but not much else and some draft picks.  Blazers get Ariza who can be decent defending but not as good as when he was with the Lakers those championship years.  Ariza might help the Blazers get into the playoffs.
I think the Kings are rebuilding again this season.  I have no idea who those other two are.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/1/18/21072175/trail-blazers-trade-bazemore-tolliver-kings-ariza-swanigan-gabriel-nba-deadline-2020
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: January 19, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
Couple of things from that Jazz-Kings game last night:

1. This play. Unfortunately, there are no good clips of it on Youtube, but suffice it to say it starts at 2:05. What a beauty. Wish we saw more passing like this.

BMM: https://youtu.be/YH9czZmrP1I?t=124

2. AT&T is the carrier for all Jazz broadcasts, and apparently the service went down last night. This isn't the 1st time this has happened over the years since the Jazz signed over the broadcasting rights, and the Jazz are well aware of how poor the service has been. Apparently, the Jazz are looking for a new broadcasting partner once the existing agreement expires in 2021.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2022 on: January 19, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
Broodwars as the resident Jazz fan what can you tell me about Jeff Green and how he has played this year?  Is he a good wing defender, scorer, playmaker ect?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: January 19, 2020, 06:02:27 PM »
Broodwars as the resident Jazz fan what can you tell me about Jeff Green and how he has played this year?  Is he a good wing defender, scorer, playmaker ect?

I can tell you that we had a lot of hopes for him on a bench that desperately needed him, and he completely washed out. He can score on occasion from 3, but he probably stepped out of bounds just as many times shooting those 3s as he did making them. He's not a playmaker, and he certainly isn't a defender. We didn't even think we could get anything trading him, so we bought out his contract. As inconsistent as Niang has been with the increased minutes he gained from that, he's still been better than Green was.

Maybe in another system, he could work, but from my experience he's reckless and inconsistent.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2024 on: January 19, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »

I can tell you that we had a lot of hopes for him on a bench that desperately needed him, and he completely washed out. He can score on occasion from 3, but he probably stepped out of bounds just as many times shooting those 3s as he did making them. He's not a playmaker, and he certainly isn't a defender. We didn't even think we could get anything trading him, so we bought out his contract. As inconsistent as Niang has been with the increased minutes he gained from that, he's still been better than Green was.

Maybe in another system, he could work, but from my experience he's reckless and inconsistent.
Sounds like he isn't the 3 and D wing defender the Lakers are looking for. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss