Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?

<< < (4/7) > >>

Order.RSS:
Bunch of new N64 stuff was announced in the Direct today. Interesting Japan is getting Harvest Moon 64, but it wasn't mentioned in the US Direct - despite that game being on Wii U virtual console.

2022:
- Pilotwings 64 So I guess if there was a rights issue, it has now been solved.
- Mario Party I had wondered if the thumbstick turning would have ruled this one out.
- Mario Party 2

2023:
- Mario Party 3
- Pokémon Stadium
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Excitebike 64
- Harvest Moon 64 Japan only (for now?).

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: nickmitch on June 16, 2022, 05:07:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: NWR_insanolord on June 12, 2022, 05:09:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: nickmitch on June 12, 2022, 01:39:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Order.RSS on June 11, 2022, 01:49:50 PM ---

* Pokémon Stadium Don't think so, but HAL made it so it'd be a choice, not a legal issue.
* Pokémon Stadium 2 Don't think so, but HAL made it so it'd be a choice, not a legal issue.
--- End quote ---

The Pokémon Stadium games could be interesting. The big draw of those games was being able to connect the GameBoy games to the console. Though there are things you can do without the connectivity. There's also the possibility of connecting the game with Pokémon Home, which seems like it'd be a lot of work that Game Freak wouldn't want to do.

--- End quote ---

If they wanted to get really ambitious they could add Game Boy games to the service and let you transfer Pokémon from those to Stadium.[/list]

--- End quote ---

I could see this as a possibility down the road. I think, for now, the best hope might be that Pokémon flagged as coming from the Gen I games in Home would have the possibility of being put into the game. So, you'd have to get your 3DS copies of the games and put the Pokémon into Bank and then into Home.

--- End quote ---

Wanted to bring this back up in light of the announcement today. Looks like they're going with no connectivity in Pokémon Stadium, at least for now. Joe Merrick did a thread on why this is more complicated than it looks. Definitely seems like we'll be waiting on GB games on NSO for this feature.

Mop it up:
I'm betting Goldeneye 007 will release in 2022, since we haven't gotten a game yet this month, so there are four more slots left. My guess is the order will be:
Sept: Pilotwings 64
Oct: Mario Party
Nov: Goldeneye 007
Dec: Mario Party 2

I'm a little surprised they're tossing on the Pokémon Stadium games. I'd have thought if they ever re-released those, they'd make them separate paid releases and add in support for Home or something. It's also a bit of a shame that Mario Tennis and Golf don't have their transfer content unlocked.

As for Harvest Moon 64: The Japanese SNES app also got Harvest Moon. Isn't the problem with these games now that they no longer have the rights to the Harvest Moon name outside of Japan?

Order.RSS:

--- Quote from: Mop it up on September 16, 2022, 09:20:49 PM ---As for Harvest Moon 64: The Japanese SNES app also got Harvest Moon. Isn't the problem with these games now that they no longer have the rights to the Harvest Moon name outside of Japan?

--- End quote ---

I'm not 100% sure of the details, but it seems like the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons split happened in 2012. Broadly I think Natsume holds the rights to the Harvest Moon brand name, whereas Marvelous has (some) rights to the game design. That's presumably why they were able to re-release Friends of Mineral Town, and will re-release A Wonderful Life next year with some in-game names changed under the Story of Seasons brand.

Regardless, Harvest Moon 64 was re-released on Wii U virtual console in 2017 according to Wikipedia, well after the ~2012 split. So unless that involved some sort of special deal where Natsume and Marvelous had to play nice together, I don't really get what the hold-up would be to put it on NSO in the west.

Stratos:
The hold up could be the uncomfortable possibility that the game sold poorly on the VC and so there isn't a huge draw to bring it back now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version