Community Forums > General Chat

Space News

<< < (3/8) > >>

ThePerm:
theres no hydrogen on venus, so Venus isn't a great candidate. I don't think we'll terraform any planets for over a hundred years, but we could still have biodome like colonies. Also, having some sot of base on the moon would be beneficial because it takes less energy to launch stuff off the moon(but you have to get things to the moon first) Also, Nuclear energy is probably much more efficient in space given melt down concerns are always less when everything is freezing temperature. There is actually a lot of resources on the moon, its just they don't have "immediate" use. Theres a probe heading to Ceres soon which is about the size of Pluto and its between mars and Jupiter inside the asteroid belt. Indications are its like a big rock tundra with likely ice and liquid water and stuff. It actually takes less time to get there than Mars because of gravity and planetary revolutions.

UltimatePartyBear:

--- Quote from: ThePerm on November 18, 2011, 12:21:24 AM ---theres no hydrogen on venus, so Venus isn't a great candidate.
--- End quote ---
If we actually had the ability to move a planet into a different orbit, I don't think that would be an issue, but I lost my main point in there.  I think that in reality, space colonies of any sort could only serve research purposes.  There is no chance of large scale colonization of space at all.  I'm not opposed to trying, and I'd like to go to space, but life as we know it has requirements that I don't think we'll be able to artificially manage, at least not indefinitely sustainably. 

--- Quote ---Also, Nuclear energy is probably much more efficient in space given melt down concerns are always less when everything is freezing temperature.
--- End quote ---

Space isn't cold.  It's just mostly empty.  Not the same thing.  Being in a vacuum means no convection, which essentially means no cooling at all.

ThePerm:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/11/blue-origin-short-hop-test/

Guitar Smasher:

--- Quote from: UltimatePartyBear on November 18, 2011, 04:01:41 PM ---Space isn't cold.  It's just mostly empty.  Not the same thing.  Being in a vacuum means no convection, which essentially means no cooling at all.
--- End quote ---
Space is cold!  Regardless of medium, you will still radiate away almost all of your thermal energy.  In fact, one scientist from the Canadian Space Agency told me yesterday that their tests showed that a particular Earth-orbiting satellite's temperature will stabilize at 188K (I think that was the number he quoted).  The further away you are from the planet, the less reflected light you'll see, meaning even more cooling.

nickmitch:
Better bring fire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version