Community Forums > General Chat

Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins

<< < (233/234) > >>

nickmitch:
It was a two-year deal.  He could go out on top, but I guess only time will tell.  I don't think he wants to retire though.

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: Ian Sane on February 08, 2021, 03:19:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: nickmitch on February 08, 2021, 01:38:02 PM ---The play of Mahomes throwing the ball while horizontal only to hit his receiver in the facemask is a pretty good summary for the night.  He played the best football he possibly could, but it was clearly not enough.

--- End quote ---

Last night was a textbook example of a superstar player being let down by his teammates.  While the calls were ticky-tacky, Mahomes was on the sideline while his defense gave up two touchdowns almost entirely on penalties (including lining up offside on a field goal, what the hell?).  His offensive line couldn't block **** and then he would escape and throw some miracle pass only for his receiver to drop it.  It really shows his composure that he didn't throw his teammates under the bus in post-game interviews or have a Philip Rivers-style freak out on the field.

--- End quote ---

Some of those penalties were bad calls from the refs, but the stupid mistakes (especially that FG offsides) were downright embarrassing.  He had every right to go after his teammates, but I think he recognizes that not every QB gets to call out his teammates in front of the press like that.

NWR_insanolord:
Most of the penalties were legit, but the problem is Kansas City was playing that way all season and they chose this moment to start calling them on it. If officiating had been consistent over the course of the season the Chiefs either would have cut that out or not been in the Super Bowl.

nickmitch:
So, uh, Jon Gruden lost his job today . . .

Ian Sane:
So Russell Wilson got traded.  Broncos are giving the Seahawks Drew Lock, Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks.  They also get a fifth round pick but give Denver a fourth rounder so that's kind of evening it out.

I am not currently in a good mood.  Yeah, Seattle missed the playoffs last year but it was only the second non-consecutive season that they missed the playoffs since Russell arrived and he was hurt for a lot of last year.  That doesn't indicate a need for a rebuild to me.  But Russell has been making passive-aggressive remarks about moving to a different team for years so I assume he asked for the trade.  His phony politician-nice-guy personality is going to be a lot harder to tolerate when he's on another team.

I think that's a pretty good haul for the guy but draft picks are no sure thing and while the Seahawks nailed their drafts when they built the Superbowl team, they've been pretty lousy at it since.  So while lots of draft picks CAN turn out great if you blow them you gave up your franchise QB for pretty much nothing.  And I am not in the mood to go into QB limbo.  Some teams are stuck like that for decades and you cannot accomplish much without that position figured out.  Traditionally teams would blow up everything else and keep the star quarterback because they knew it would be extremely difficult to find another one.

There were rumours about Pete Carroll and Wilson not getting along.  If it became a "him or me" scenario they backed the wrong horse.  Carroll has been great and he'll be a hero in the Pacific Northwest forever but he's 70.  As much as he would hate to admit it he's on borrowed time and will almost certainly be retired before Russell is.  So in that scenario I think you need to pick the player.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to read up on this year's draft as this suddenly is important to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version