Author Topic: Do lack of sports game matter?  (Read 7902 times)

Offline CloudSpekk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Do lack of sports game matter?
« on: February 09, 2003, 11:50:06 AM »
I mean, we're still getting, Madden, ASB, and NBA Live. Why do we need 500 choices?  

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 12:00:43 PM »
Because NBA 2kX is now gone. I WANT MY NBA 2k4!  
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 12:04:41 PM »
CloudSpekk, we dont really need 500 choices but the thing is is that the mainstream looks at a game systems selection.  if a system has more games, he feels confident that he's making the right choice in systems.
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline willys85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 12:13:04 PM »
The people wants sports in their home consoles, but maybe the GC owners don't buy them because we have some great first party or second party titles, like Metroid Prime, Zelda: the Wind Waker, SSBM, but i still want the NBA 2K's in my Cube, but now its gone, why?????? it's not our fault that great companies creates great games that compite with the sports line, but the NBA Live series was cancelled or not?
So Your God fell in Love with the War, Well He is Only Your God

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 12:31:05 PM »
Very disappointed.  Kinda reminds me of what happened to my Dreamcast.  Not saying Nintendo will go the way of Dreamcast (too many other great games), but it does give me an uneasy feeling inside.  Sport games are a huge part of videgames.  We really don't have RPG's and now less sport game selections.  Lets hope EA stays onboard!  

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 12:31:30 PM »
I myself don't need anything more than the NFL Blitz games I have grown to love so much. But I do sympathize for those who aren't getting their sports fix from SEGA. I know alot of really hardcore 2K gamers that are really distressed right now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 12:41:15 PM »
Nintendo's Core audience really doesnt buy sports games. For the typical Nitnendo owner its just not their interest.  Gamecubes userbas is about as big as xbox and at the same tiem sports games are a niche genre on gamecube. Only a minority of gamers will be upset the sports games are gone. I mjsut upset because gcn has always gotten the shaft. From the beginning, even before it had a  design.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline AnakiN-

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 12:50:16 PM »
As long as we get to keep the FIFA series I am more than pleased -- That's just about the only sport game series I've ever played or liked.
Zelda Universe
All the Zelda info you need!

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2003, 06:41:00 AM »
Basically, it sucks not to have a choice.  I need NBA2kX and NFL2kX. I haven't liked NBALive since the old days of Genesis and SuperNes so this is a major blow to my cause.   This means I have to buy a weaker version on the PS2(albeit not buy much at all) but I'd rather have the best. Sega shouldn't abandon all hope for the GC. They should just market their products better. Time to blow there dust ofd my Ps2 Baseball season is just around the corner.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline sycomonkey

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 08:07:01 AM »
What are you TALKING about?  There is NO shortage of sports games for the Gamecube, the Gamecube has been dominated by sports games since release.  Just look at this:

The Gamecube Games Pie Chart

Out of 175 gamecube games that are out today, 54 of them are sports games.  There is NO lack of sports game for the gamecube...

Edit: How do you post images?  
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline Dr Synthetic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 08:10:20 AM »
Actually, my take on this subject... does the lack of sports games matter?  Not at all.

Sure, there are people who play them on the GC, but face it:  If you bought a GC, you bought it for mascot games.  Sports games honestly just clutter up the shelves.  I've begged for years for a system that pretty much exclusively made stuff that I wanted to play so I wouldn't have to wade through the garbage, and Nintendo just got one step closer with Sega announcing that it will no longer put its sports line on the Cube.

If you're interested in sports games, you're MUCH better off with a PS2 or an Xbox anyway.  GC was always in 3rd place as far as sports go, so if you come to the Cube for sports, you made the wrong decision.  

On the same hand, I think they need to can some of the mascot games for Xbox... it's ridiculous that they thought Toe Jam & Earl 3 would be better suited for the Xbox.  TJ&E3 is the kind of stuff Sonic/Mario people would buy, not the kind of thing that Halo/Tom Clancy marks want.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2003, 08:23:29 AM »
The loss of Sega Sports games themselves isn't that big of a loss on it's own.  It's the reason that resulted in Sega pulling their sports games that we should worry about.  Sega pulling their sports games because they weren't selling on the Gamecube.  Now if it turns out that in general all third party games don't sell on Gamecube (or at least third parties think that they don't) third party support is going to get worse and may even get to N64 levels.  I don't care if I don't have any sports game but I DO care if I don't have any third party games.

Sega Sports titles aren't selling on Gamecube and Sega thinks they should have.  That weakens their enthusiasm for the console and from now on they're going to be more stingy on what gets released on Gamecube.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 08:27:36 AM »
Historically, the console with the widest selection of sports titles has usually been the one to sell the best.  It's anecdotal evidence at best, but that's probably the reason people are so concerned.  I'm not a big sports game fan myself, but having the option will usually sell more consoles than having not.  Losing an entire range of sports titles is never a good thing ... even if they weren't very good.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Joshums

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 08:49:39 AM »
Wow, that pie chart is quite disturbing.  Also, sports games are all the same more or less.  You can buy NBA2k3 or NBA Courtside; either way you're buying a basketball game.  Having less titles to choose from will only make a sports game fan's decision that much easier.  Everybody wins!
Ph33r teh Joshums!!!11

Offline VatoLoko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 08:52:39 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Historically, the console with the widest selection of sports titles has usually been the one to sell the best.  It's anecdotal evidence at best, but that's probably the reason people are so concerned.  I'm not a big sports game fan myself, but having the option will usually sell more consoles than having not.  Losing an entire range of sports titles is never a good thing ... even if they weren't very good.

Then again, you could say that any console with the widest selection of ANY type of game is going to sell well. Look at something like Sega Saturn and 3DO. Besides cost of the system at its initial launch, those consoles didn't have to much that was good in terms of selection.

When Playstation 2 first came out, I remember getting it and the only games out for months was fighting games, racing games and a few sports games like SSX. The excitement didn't last very long there. Eventually the system died on me, but thats another story

If Gamecube did have a bigger selection of sports, RPG's and other games that the PS2 has (even games that suck, there are people who will buy them), the system does better, the amount of support from companies is better and more games come out.

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2003, 09:18:12 AM »
Personally, I dislike sports titles so to me it really doesn't matter too horribly much.  Personally I find sports games to be the very epitome of overrated shovelware:  They release the same title year after year with minor graphical enhancements and a roster update and then expect you to fork over full price for essentially the same game once a year to keep it going.

The day somebody makes a sports series with free/very cheap downloadable roster and gameplay updates is the day I buy another sports title.  Until that day though, I absolutely refuse to spend my money on them.

Granted, it's still a bit of a disappointment.  There's various areas where it matters.  Nintendo's retail presence is hurt by this for sure and Nintendo really needs to do something about that.

The amount of sports titles on a system is in fact pretty relevant to Nintendo's success, but only in an indirect way.  It's not just anecdotal.

Offline jferris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 10:11:14 AM »
As long as I get Mario Golf, I will have all the sports games that I need.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 03:41:48 PM »
Does it matter? The answer to that question is simple: yes.  I say this because many people place down money on a system, knowing that they will have the option to buy a "solid" sports title whenever.  Which brings me to another point: the less sports titles on a system, the less a developing house will work to make a strong sports title.  For instance, EA may look around with Madden and say, "OK, now what competition do I have? None!" and hand their project to a bunch of rookie developers who don't know the difference between framerate and photo-stills.  I can take the argument that this won't hurt Nintendo's main fan base, but it will hurt them, one way or another.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Tygerqb12

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2003, 05:01:14 PM »
What do you guys think about Nintendo releasing their own sports line, much as Sega did when they lost EA's support.  I have faith in the people at Nintendo to release a great sports line, hopefully even a football series that could rival Madden.

Offline flipinflipout

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2003, 05:28:45 PM »
Yes, it does matter, but not that much, like as long as we have the BIG titles, like Madden, Live, NCAA Bball, and Football, ASB, and the "Itz", and extreme sports games, i think the general public will be happy. And I didn't like Sega Sports anyway.
<(^ ^< (>^^)> Dancing Kirby's!!!
\-------------/
 0           0     Skateboarder

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2003, 07:25:23 PM »
I think there are way too many sports titles as it is.  When you've played one you've played them all.  The only sports games I've ever liked were NFL Blitz, and some basketball game for the Sega Genesis.  I can't think of the year for blitz or the name of the basketball game.  I think it was NBA Allstars.  Those were the only sports games I really liked.  I bought Madden2002 for the Cube and thought that it was terribly boring and was sorry I wasted my money on that instead of buying Luigi's mansion.
it was time for a change.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 07:37:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Tygerqb12
What do you guys think about Nintendo releasing their own sports line, much as Sega did when they lost EA's support.  I have faith in the people at Nintendo to release a great sports line, hopefully even a football series that could rival Madden.

Nintendo did have their own sports label. Does anyone remember Nintendo Sports? Nintendo use to have a website nintendosports.com. Nintendo Sports had games like NBA Courtside 2 and Excitebike 64. I think that Nintendo abandon the idea because Sega and EA had sports covered. I think that its time to get Retro to work on that Football game.

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2003, 04:31:34 AM »
is EA canceling further NHL games too?
thats the greatest sports game
Deftones own.