Author Topic: Kim, Becky, and Yoshi's Woolly Art  (Read 1169 times)

Offline SurfingPikachu

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Kim, Becky, and Yoshi's Woolly Art
« on: October 16, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »

Art's starting to take a spotlight in gaming and Yoshi looks better than ever.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/video/41327/kim-becky-and-yoshis-woolly-art

Yoshi's Woolly World releases on Friday, October 16, and its bursting with style! Art in gaming is a trend that's been going on for a little while, most notably in indie games, but Good Feel gives us another mainstream title for gamers to look at as much as play. But does it work and should this kind of trend keep going?

Kimberly Keller - Staff Writer

Offline AwesomeUnicorn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kim, Becky, and Yoshi's Woolly Art
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »
Plus five thousand cool points to Kim for having about as many projects on the needles at one time as I tend to have. (Also, silently weeping thinking about rewinding all of those skeins of yarn.)

While the gameplay Yoshi's Woolly World is good, the art style really does push it over the top in terms of wow factor. I have such immense respect for the developers and artists in this game every time something new pops up and I run up to my TV to look at the actual construction of the new enemy or piece of landscape. I haven't seen a single thing in this game that doesn't look like an accurate representation of a knitted or crocheted item, and I can't imagine how much effort it took to create and render everything here.

I really hope to see other genres experiment more with unique art styles, since most of the games I can think of are platforming games. I can only imagine something like an open world adventure game in the style of a-ha's "Take on Me" music video.