Author Topic: Soul Calibur Legends Scan  (Read 24115 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 04:53:24 PM »
What's with the Talim love? Seriously. She ain't THAT great.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »
Yes, she IS...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 05:46:53 PM »
Tira > Talim.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 05:50:05 PM »
Yeah, emo goth character in the inferior game is better...Makes tons of sense!

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 05:53:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
What's with the Talim love? Seriously. She ain't THAT great.

To underestimate the greatness of Talim is to underestimate the value of life itself.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »
Life not important. Only sales charts important.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
Sales charts and raw, hardcore, uncensored numbers, mind you.  Gotta love those numbers.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Life not important. Only sales charts important.

Precisely, and Talim = MAD SALES so thus Talim > Life. It's my warped math!
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 03:21:09 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
In the ideal situation, Namco would develop SC4 for the Wii, then graphically upgrade it for the 360/PS3 ports. It just makes sense to do that - they could even use the Classic / GameCube controller options..

I don't know. I believe that if developers want to go for ultra-high-end stuff, then they should be allowed to seek that audience (and phail? Not if they can get their hit on the XBox 360!). SC IV is obviously being developed for 60 fps, with devs pondering 1080p and 120 fps... if that's what they were gunning for all along then it makes sense that it wouldn't be on the Wii.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 03:26:04 AM »
What difference does it make, anyways?  Nowadays, people are just imagining what graphics say they look like, rather than what's on the screen.  In fact, I've already heard several people say that Legends looks like an Xbox game.  Are they blind, or are they stupid?  Who knows, but somehow, they think they see an Xbox game in legends, despite how pretty it looks.

Like I said, people don't really look at graphics much anymore, they just see what they are told that they see.  Case in point - Televisions currently can't display 120 FPS, it's just used for motion blur techniques, but most people see 120 fps as a selling point for the PS3.  Isn't that idiotic to anyone else?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 04:33:15 AM »
I like how so many people complained that GC wasn't getting SC3 until it actually came out and turned out to be terrible. I don't see the point in getting worked up about SC4 before we even know if it's going to be good. And I kind of doubt it will be unless it gets an arcade release first (which can be updated and retuned, unlike a console release).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 05:39:06 AM »
"The only problem might be asking people to buy Classic Controllers."

Smash Bros is pretty much doing that anyway.  I'll bet classic controller sales will pick up once it comes out.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 08:52:06 AM »
If you Talim lovers have seen the latest scans, she is in the game.

Edit: Oh wait I always confuse their names, I was looking at Taki.

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »

I've already heard several people say that Legends looks like an Xbox game. Are they blind, or are they stupid? Who knows, but somehow, they think they see an Xbox game in legends, despite how pretty it looks.

Xbox had some pretty games. Looks Xboxish to me. Anyway, I think this could be a really cool game and it's a genre the Wii could use.

As far as the whole SCIV discussion in this thread. . . It sounds like they want to make a tech heavy game, so no Wii version. Oh well. You can find a Dreamcast and SC pretty cheap still. Also, I'm not convinced that having a version of it on Wii would really do much of anything for system sales or software trends.

It'd be nice to have it but I guess I just don't care that much.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »
Tech heavy doesn't happen in a fighting game.  Devs use excuses like that all the time because that's what they are: excuses.  Saying that the Wii can't handle Soul Calibur 4 because they think that the other two systems will allow for better experiences is a lie.  Otherwise, Soul Calibur 3 would have appeared on the Xbox or the GC rather than the PS2, since they were both more powerful systems.  If the developers really want to provide a tech-heavy fighter, they wouldn't develop for the weakest system.  By that same logic, if they were making the game to maximize profits, they would choose the sequel to be on the Wii, since last gen, they went for the PS2, as it was the most popular system.  Obviously, Namco devs (or publishers) aren't in this to maximize profits either, or they are just plain bad at their jobs.  Whatever the anser is, I'm sure it's a pretty lame reason that should be fixed, especially since the game could be toned down graphically and still maintain tech-heavy physics for a Wii port.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
To be fair to Namco:

Perhaps SC4 has been awhile in development already, way before everyone got to see the PS3 leap out of the gates and trip on its own two feet?  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »
They could still peg down the polygons and go for the Wii.  I'm sure the game wasn't made for both the PS3 and the 360 initially, but was only for the PS3, so when they decided to expand the title to the 360, the same should have been done for the Wii.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 12:35:21 PM »
Well, it's not as easy as reducing some polygons. Namco would have to make a Wii version from scratch. And I really think the controller poses another problem because the main audience for this game most likely wants traditional controls and aren't willing to shell out for a Classic Controller (and assuming they don't still GCN controllers). So while I think the game could very easily work on Wii, I can see how Namco wouldn't want to rely on Wii owners shelling out for extra peripherals when traditionally few people do. Soul Calibur 4 isn't Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a game popular enough that its fanbase would buy almost anything to play it. And while I like the SC series, I'm not a huge fighting game fan. Having previously owned SC2 (for GCN), I don't think I would continue to purchase new entries of the series... at least not for $50-$60. I'm not that big of a Soul Calibur fan so I no SC4 on Wii doesn't affect me too much. It doesn't kind of suck that Wii is getting the shaft, but I can always get it on 360.

I am happy that Wii is getting Legends though. Action/Adventure is more to my liking. I just hope that the game doesn't suck ass. Legends looks awesome from the screens. However, I'm weary of all side-games and spin-offs.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
First Ever Gameplay Footage!

here it is

Impressions: COMPLETELY UNDERWHELMED. The enemies look so uninspired and well all around not that impressive . . . it looks like a SC beat em up that just wreaks of tacky-ness trying to cash in on the Wii controller gameplay style.

I wouldn't be so upset if we were getting SC4 but we're not. This is a horrible excuse for an alternative. Very poor Namco.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »
Maybe I didn't watch the same video, because I found that to be pretty good!  As long as they find a way to keep the gameplay fun (which is tough to do for a beat-em-up), I'll be picking this one up at least for co-op... =)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2007, 10:16:51 AM »
Looks pretty good to me.

It's going to out-pot-destruction-for-de-moneyz Zelda.

Watch out, Zelda.  Did you see all dem pots, and said destruction of them?  You got served.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »
I dunno maybe it's just me then and my love for the series that's making me be extra critical of it.

The characters all look fine but the enemies seem really...limited (mummys, ninjas and suits of armor....yay) and the areas you fight seem really bland to me.

Again I wouldn't be so upset if this was a Wii exclusive SIDE game but having it as a proverbial replacement for SC4 just sucks.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »
Yeah, the enemies and levels did look pretty bland for the most part. The giant boss enemy looked pretty good though.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »
Yeah I'll agree with you on that. Maybe it is still early in development so I shouldn't get too negative about the game.

Edit: ok now I hate Namco even more. SC4 will have online combat which I wasn't aware of if that was already announced . . . ::cries::

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2007, 11:10:55 AM »
I got a real Twilight Princess vibe out of the footage.  But unlike Twilight Princess I don't think there's much beyond fighting.  It also looks gesture based which is a waste of time.  Unless the controls are accurate to remote movement it's all just a nifty replacement for buttons.

The game doesn't look like crap though Soul Calibur 4 is clearly the "real" game and with the Wii selling the ways it is those are the games it should be getting.  We got the side games and spinoffs on the Cube too before everything dried up and none of that proved to be significant.  Unless you're getting the A games you really aren't getting anything.  Namco's focus is clearly not the Wii and it should be.

Hack 'n' slash games are really hard to get right.  If you're just hitting people with swords again and again you're going to be really bored really fast.