Author Topic: Soul Calibur Legends Scan  (Read 24195 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:44:03 AM »
Here is a scan of some actual in game screen shots of Soul Calibur Legends on Wii.

Soul Calibur Legends Scan
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:28:14 AM »
Looks just fine visually...Now to await gameplay impressions...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Geech

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:42:19 AM »
I think it looks great and I'm really looking forward to a deeper single player mode, but where is Link? I really hope that he's in it again. He was a fantastic character addition.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:56:14 AM »
I think the game takes place between Soul Edge and Soul Calibur (1), so I doubt not only Link, but also many of the characters we loved from SCII (Talim ;_; ) will be in the game...  

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:Soul Calibur Legends Scan
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:07:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I think the game takes place between Soul Edge and Soul Calibur (1), so I doubt not only Link, but also many of the characters we loved from SCII (Talim ;_; ) will be in the game...
no Talim??? :cry:

at least Sophitia has to be in it, right???

oh, and for those who care, SC4 will be on PS3 and X360 only... at least according to the teaser...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:01:48 AM »
Sophitia was in Soul Edge, so I'd think she'd be in the game, yes...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:10:43 AM »
wtf, no Talim.......NO PURCHASE!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »
The environments are little empty in the scan. Looks pretty good so far though. I just hope the game is more than going from big empty room to big empty room fighting enemies over and over (like the 3D characters). It sucks that there probably won't be a Soul Calibur 4 for Wii, but I'm looking forward to hearing more about Legends.

If it takes place between Soul Edge and Soul Calibur 1, it'll probably explain (more thoroughly) how Siegfried became Nightmare.

I want to see Sophitia. She's my favorite.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 09:24:30 AM »
i hope its more lile sc2 and not like sc3, sc3 i played and did not like
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »
Talking about that there is an article over at IGN that has a little more information.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
Multiplayer... *drool*

Not sure about split screen multiplayer, but this has me even more excited about the game. The level structure does seem kind of odd though.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »
"oh, and for those who care, SC4 will be on PS3 and X360 only... at least according to the teaser..."

Sounds like typical third party Wii support.  Real game for the PS3 and X360 and spinoff for the Wii.  We can blame last-gen hardware for that.

But then if Nintendo hadn't borked the hardware then they likely couldn't have had the same price which could have had a negative effect on sales.  So it's an odd catch-22.  The Wii's sales can likely be considered the result of being different.  But being too different f*cks up third party support.  BUT in theory having the highest sales attracts third party support so it's hard to figure out what SHOULD happen since there are two extremes here: one that attracts third parties and one that turns them off.

I think ideally to get the truly significant third party support the Wii has to outsell the PS3 and X360 combined.  Right now there are two templates to follow: the Wii and the other two consoles.  While the Wii may have the highest sales of the three consoles, the PS3 and X360 are similar enough that if I make a multiplatform game for the two of them my potential sales are the combined userbase of the two consoles which may be bigger than the Wii's userbase.  Even if I make an exclusive for the PS3 or X360 I have the option to port it later if it becomes successful.  I can port it to the PC as well.  Wii games only work well as Wii games.  Being the market leader might not be enough if the "not the Wii" userbase is bigger.

The non-gamer userbaes can mess things up too if there is a big difference then what they'll buy and what gamers will buy.  The Wii userbase may be an unreliable number if a third party never knows who the true potential customers are.  The PS3 and X360 are safe bets.  Their userbases will be made up largely of the same type of users that have owned game consoles since the Playstation became popular.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »
"the PS3 and X360 are similar enough that if I make a multiplatform game for the two of them my potential sales are the combined userbase of the two consoles which may be bigger than the Wii's userbase."

Man, if only they employed that logic last gen...You know, like not making games exclusive at all?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
The funny part, Ian, is that the Wii HAS outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined in Japan.  Twice over, in fact.  This was the reason, for Namco, to make Soul Calibur III for PS2 Only, even though the GC version of SCII sold more.  (BTW Soul Calibur III is the worst selling game in the series.) Now all of a sudden, companies who had no qualms with being held back by the PS2, suddenly need higher power consoles for games "not possible" on Wii.  It's duplicitous and sickening.  I know that there's no loyalty in this business, but now it seems you can't even count on logic anymore.

Their potential sales for the upcoming Soul Calibur IV on the PS3/360 are also hampered by the PS3's widespread unpopularity (and the unpopularity of fighters on that console) and the 360's only proliferance being in the U.S.  They have effectively limited their markets.

It's just too bad Namco is just going to have to learn this the hard way after they blow a huge chunk of development cash on a big budget title to then only sell like, maybe 600,000 worldwide, if that.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 10:55:03 AM »
Yep, almost sitting at exactly 2 Wiis for every 1 PS3 and 360 sold.  I very tiny bit above. Linky
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »
I don't see why a fighting game can't be "uglied" down and released on the Wii as well as the 360 and PS3.  Just reduce the polygons of everything to a workable level.  It isn't going to make the game unplayable, but for the case of Soul Calibur IV, it may mean that there will be less room for bounce.  Anyways, the exact same play experience is available on the Wii as on the PS360, regardless of look, especially for a fighter.

My guess is that Namco will release it for the Wii at some point in time, perhaps if they can get Nintendo to loan them another exclusive character to ensure success.  Either that, or the fifth game will be a Wii title.  I think the fact of the matter is that developers, or at least publishers, are idiots a lot of the time.  They don't know who wants their games, they don't see industry trends, and they don't pay attention to what's best for their franchises most of the time.  They just are idiots, plain and simple.

Now, nearly every publisher believed the Wii would flop.  That's a fact.  American and Japanese publishers alike probably saw it as a Nintendo swan-song for some idiotic reason.  They  weren't planning on making anything for it ever, instead riding on the Playstation name that was the real flop any industry-minded gamer should have seen coming at least by last year's E3, but probably earlier, and no, I'm not kidding about that.  So the publishers were blindsided for no real reason other than their own flawed thinking upon the true start of this generations war, when all three systems finally were released.  So what do they do?  If you ask me, most publishers now have freaked out.  They don't know what to do or what to make, nor do they know what platforms to make it for.  They still haven't realized that they can still make multi-platform next-gen games for the Wii, PS3 and 360 all at the same time.  I bet the devs know this is possible, but the publishers won't let them because they really are idiots in most cases.

In this case, I bet SC's devs know that the Wii is a quality system, but Namco's publishing division won't let them for fear of some unreasonable thing.  I'm sick of it too, and I'm on the verge of realizing that more than half the people in control of the video game industry are completely backwards from how they should be.  Sometimes I wish I were in charge of some big publisher, just because I'm almost completely sure I could do much better than say, Konami, Namco, or Capcom.  I don't know what I could do to save Sony for this generation, though.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 11:15:13 AM »
Actually, this IS looking pretty cool. Looks like a GREAT action game... which is something the Wii actually needs: third person thrid-party traditional/hardcore action games.

It's too bad it won't be a fighter, but this is just as good... perhaps an even more important genre for the Wii's library.

In addition to single player play, Legends will also include multiplayer support. Players will be able to face off against one another and combat enemies cooperatively.

CO-OP?!?!?! YESSSSS!!! AAAAHHHH!!! INSTA-BUY!?!?!!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Sounds like typical third party Wii support.  Real game for the PS3 and X360 and spinoff for the Wii.  We can blame last-gen hardware for that.

Was I the only one not going to buy SC4, and I mean maybe I'd rent it?

I bought SC2 for Link, played it for a day, then gave it to Cap.

I had zero intention of picking up a SC4, with or without shoehorned waggle.

But a new 3rd person action adventure built from the ground up for Wii with multiplayer? Yeah, I'll give that a fair shake.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »
"The funny part, Ian, is that the Wii HAS outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined in Japan. Twice over, in fact. This was the reason, for Namco, to make Soul Calibur III for PS2 Only, even though the GC version of SCII sold more. (BTW Soul Calibur III is the worst selling game in the series.) Now all of a sudden, companies who had no qualms with being held back by the PS2, suddenly need higher power consoles for games 'not possible' on Wii. It's duplicitous and sickening. I know that there's no loyalty in this business, but now it seems you can't even count on logic anymore."

So really the logic deep down is "do whatever screws Nintendo".  Nintendo SHOULD be getting better third party support than they are.  Dang it, I hate it when the world doesn't make sense.  If I want that the Billboard charts are RIGHT THERE.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 01:06:49 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
i hope its more lile sc2 and not like sc3, sc3 i played and did not like

ThePerm is out of the loop. Soul Calibur Legends isn't a fighting game.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 01:06:56 PM »
They could make a Wii version of Soul Calibur 4 with stick figures, but if one was named Link, the Wii version would sell more than the PS3/360 versions.

The only thing that's really improved in fighting games in the past few years has been the graphics. Fighting games aren't easy to make, but they hardly cripple a systems hardware nowadays. A Wii version of any fighting game is possible. It'd lack HD, but still look damn good. The only problem might be asking people to buy Classic Controllers. I know they could use the Wii remote, but that's besides the point. This is probably the only genre where motion controls don't translate that well.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »
In the ideal situation, Namco would develop SC4 for the Wii, then graphically upgrade it for the 360/PS3 ports. It just makes sense to do that - they could even use the Classic / GameCube controller options..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
I think there is a significant contingent of the game industry that wants Nintendo to fail, or at least go third party.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRR
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
I will wait for confirmation of lack of Talim before I start thinking of forming a boycott...
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It