Author Topic: New Ghostbusters game?  (Read 14321 times)

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
New Ghostbusters game?
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:04:50 PM »

Could it be? A new video game based on the Ivan Reitman classic, Ghostbusters?

Videos that appeared online today indicate that a Ghostbusters title may be in the works. Credited to European developer Zootfly (Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory), the videos appear to either be test or proposal footage for a Ghostbusters video game. A little investigation done on the Ghostbusters.net message board revealed a PDF that detailed financial information for Zootfly, as well as a promo image for the game.

Whether these are real or fake is unclear, but we've contacted Zootfly for further clarification on the project, and will keep you updated if we hear anything new. In the meantime, hit the jump for some more videos.

http://www.destructoid.com/new-ghostbusters-game--29260.phtml

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/v/etGWugTbGwk

http://www.youtube.com/v/8ku4aQOmt0o

http://www.youtube.com/v/8ku4aQOmt0o

http://www.youtube.com/v/G7SzmWyc37w

http://www.youtube.com/v/XxNFmUmbm98

Picture:
http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/photo.phtml?post_key=29260&photo_key=2243

When I was looking at this the first thing that came to mind was that it kind of fits the image of what Ghostbusters 3 was going to be. If you didn't know the title that was kicked around for GB3 was 'Ghostbusters in Hell' and the idea was that the gates of hell were located right in NY and thats why there was so much paranormal activity.
Maybe since Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis were never able to get a studio to back GB3 which in turn made it so GB3 never got off the ground this was the next best way to do it. It also helps fight the whole age thing, I mean seriously most of the cast doesn't look anything like their younger selves anymore.  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: New Ghostbusters game?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:10:58 PM »
OMFG if this happens I think I'll drop dead from a heart attack. I just recently downloaded a bunch of the old Real Ghostbusters cartoons from when I was a kid, and I can't get enough of it. The entire Ghostbusters franchise is awesome and I would love to see something new. Advancement of the core story with great voice acting (from the original movie cast of course) would be amazing. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:15:34 PM »
I'd love a GOOD Ghostbusters game, but man that one gameplay video looked boring as dirt...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:49:41 AM »
1. GHOSTBUSTERS!
2. The gameplay looks like it has potential to me, but only if what the videos show are a demo of the controls rather than a demo of actual game play...controls look okay, gameplay looks terrible.
3. I want to be able to drive the REAL Ecto 1 instead of this (admittedly nifty) Dodge Magnum type thingy.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:New Ghostbusters game?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:08:26 AM »
I thought I heard that Bill Murray wasn't keen on the idea of another Ghostbusters film, and they didn't think it was good to move on ahead without him.  Could've been a rumour or something.  In any case, there's no third film, simple as that.

I haven't played Elebits, but if zapping does indeed fit the Wii Remote, then I'm ready for some Proton Gun action.  It should come with a Proton Pack for the full effect.  :P

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 06:45:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I'd love a GOOD Ghostbusters game, but man that one gameplay video looked boring as dirt...
You already have a good Ghostbusters game; don't get greedy.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
This game needs to happen. And it needs to be on Wii.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 01:16:44 AM »
Posted in my journal first...but here is my thoughts on  Ghost Busters.

I love Ghost Busters.  The first movie was great, and although the second movie wasn't, the franchise has always had continual promise if handled by the right people.

So is this the right people?  My opinion NO.  I understand the "game play" shown is most likely testing mechanics in the game and nothing more.  I also understand that this leak is most likely a controlled leak to see if any interest for the game will be created to see if it is worth proceeding with the project.  My answer is, the realistic approach is not going to work...you are striving to recreate our beloved characters too close to how we remember them, instead of reinventing them.  In other words, any and all flaws to the presentation will be noticed and remarked upon, and that isn't good.

Instead, how about keeping the realistic portrayal of New York City.  The environments shown are very cool, but are going to need to be livened up.  Make it more abstract and bizarre...that doesn't mean change the realistic look, but change it...make it appear that New York has been through some tough crap with these ghosts...and really need the Ghost Busters.

Next, do not try for photorealism with the characters, instead create interesting caricatures of each Ghost Buster we know and love.  Spend time and capture some of the elements of the original actors, but also design them to fit more there personalities.  Design Ego to look nerdy and freakishly tall and skinny.  Have fun with the designs.  Push this creativity into the world of Ghosts as well.

The game is going to thrive on the Ghosts and Environments...so they need to interact together.  Each house/mission/whatever needs to have Ghost with a story.  That story is told throughout how the Ghost interacts with people, manipulates (yes manipulates) the environment it stays in.  Fighting Ghosts will be part action, part puzzle, and part team work.  Yes, the Ghost Busters are first and foremost a team.

Which, gets me to my final point.  DO NOT MAKE THIS A FIRST PERSON OR THIRD PERSON ACTION TITLE!!!!!!  DO NOT.  EVER.  PLEASE.

Ghost Busters is a business.  Focus on that element, and create some strategy an unique game dynamics to the mix.  How about this, splitting teams up into different groups to complete missions.  Perhaps swapping between each person to take Ghosts out better...playing online means you can have a person play each member of your team.  Or more radical allow the player to clear out two houses/missions/whatever at once by splitting the teams up into two teams of two.  Hot Swapping between missions.  Perhaps you will be able to clear the missions quicker, perhaps you will have to call in back up for very big dangerous Ghosts.

Concern for Money.  Business worries about the bottom line...yet Ghost Busting is a very dangerous and costly affair.  You go into a mission with a set rate you charge (earn) for clearing the ghosts.  The more damage you do to the house the less return you get...so be careful.  The money you earn can help you upgrade your weapons, technology, vehicle, or even buy more vehicles and attempt more missions at once.  The game therefore has Sim, Puzzle, Strategy, and action elements to it.  This balance of concepts will create a perfect Ghost Buster game...if execution and proper time is given to perfect the design.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:58:18 AM »
There is the original NES version of GB that had strategic elements where you could buy additional equipment and what not. But outside of catching ghosts, the game sucked balls from the lack of technology. It was far too ambitous for the platform it was on and it was limited by existing gameplay concepts.

Currently it looks nice enough, assuming you can make out any details. Such a game has massive potential. But it is a lisenced game, so... dun dun dunnnn!  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:12 AM »
Am I the only one who seriously thinks Gears of Ghost seeing this? I'm wondering if it's really some altered Gears of War engine. Anyways, I love me some Ghostbusters...always wodnered what happened to Ghostbusters 3 (And Gremlins 3 for that matter...were the franchises not good enough to warrant sequels! Come on!)
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 06:05:28 AM »
I'm wondering if it's really some altered Gears of War engine.

AKA Unreal Engine 3.0? Wouldn't surprise me, loads of games use the Unreal Engine these days.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 07:13:36 AM »
Speaking of Gremlins.  I would love Gremlins 2 NES game to become available on the virtual console.

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
anyone ever played teh Ghostbusters gaem on 2600? that was crazy.

I watched a thing on G4 yesterday about this game, they think it is fake. Said it was for 360 not for Wii thought.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »
If anyone still hasn't seen it, IGN got confirmation from the developer.  It's real, but on hold because of licensing issues.  It almost sounds like they started making the game before it occurred to them that they'd need the license.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
My problem with making a ghostbusters game is that they will most likely have the ghosts die when you shoot them.  The promo video looks like this happens.  It would be hard to make a way to catch the ghosts fun and not too time consuming so almost all ghosts will probably be zapped to ghost-death.

I'm also not a fan of the gritty look, Ghostbusters always had some lightheartedness even in the worst times.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
My problem with making a ghostbusters game is that they will most likely have the ghosts die when you shoot them.  The promo video looks like this happens.  It would be hard to make a way to catch the ghosts fun and not too time consuming so almost all ghosts will probably be zapped to ghost-death.
I'm sure more of the drone ghosts will be zapped to death.  However, there will most likely be either bosses or collectible ghosts that will need to be caught.  I'm sure it will work a lot like fishing in Zelda only not as cool.

Hylian Loach > Poltergeist
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
If anyone still hasn't seen it, IGN got confirmation from the developer.  It's real, but on hold because of licensing issues.  It almost sounds like they started making the game before it occurred to them that they'd need the license.

More likely they made those demos as a proof of concept to get the attention of a publisher who could provide the cash to acquire the rights.
GOREGASM!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 04:00:49 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel

I'm also not a fan of the gritty look, Ghostbusters always had some lightheartedness even in the worst times.

Which is why Ghost Busters doesn't work as an action game.  

Each Ghost should be a unique and challenging experience to catch...in other words the game should be more like a puzzle game with slight action elements to the design...as I mentioned earlier.

Wrestling the Ghost to trap and setting it would be part of the unique challenge.  And I am sure there are quite a few puzzles that could be created with that design.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »
Has anyone seen the GI scans?!the game looks and sounds awesome and the best part is (according to the cover) IT'S COMING TO WII!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 01:38:25 PM »
picto's I have seen were bland and boring, as of right now it's a no buy for me.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 02:08:58 PM »
My initial excitement at a new ghostbusters anything wore off when i got to the end of the article and was slapped in the face. The Wii and PS2 versions are being done in a cartoon graphical style.

Sure the 360 and Ps3 graphics in the demo pictures look generic with all the other 3rd person shooters on those platforms but i was still excited because i love the ghostbusters, and this game is basically supposed to be what the third movie was going to be. i really got my hopes shat on..

the only thing the wii version has going for it is four-player co-op and of course wii controls (but we all know they'll suck..)

now i'm sorry i bumped this thread
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 12:28:22 AM »
Why do they have real guns in the picture...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 12:32:28 PM »
I don't see anything that looks like a real gun in there pictures...

Offline Sister Mary LeFever

• PS3ROX!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »
I think he is referring to their... Oh, dear, it's been so long since I saw Ghostbusters, I forget what the vacuum pack things are called... Either way, they seem to have barrels more similar to a firearm now.
My signature is a trainwreck

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 04:44:05 AM »
i dunno.. maybe its been awhile for me too but thats how i remember the PROTON PACKS looking.. oh well