Author Topic: Ouenden Friggin' RULES!  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Ouenden Friggin' RULES!
« on: April 08, 2006, 02:21:09 PM »
Basically, it's Donkey Konga on the DS with a plot, one which ranges from wonderfully absurd to heartwarmingly touching.

It's fun, it's loud, it'll keep you tapping your toes all the time while you're playing. My only qualm with the game is that it absolutely demands to be played on a TV with an audience. Much like Wario Ware, this game just screeeeeeeams to be watched, which is why I'd sacrifice a goat to see a Rev version (and a US release would be awesome as well).

I will, no doubt, be encouraged to go through to ensure that I get an A on every song (or S, if the rating is possible).

To summarize the gameplay, numbered circles will appear on the touchscreen. Around each of these numbered circles is a thin ring which will gradually close around the circle. Your job is to tap the circle when the ring connects with it. The numbers indicate combo chains which must be done in order. In addition to taps, you have slides, which will require you to tap a point, then slide the stylus along the slide (which will appear on the screen) all the while keeping the stylus within the circle which is indicated as you slide along the touchscreen. Often, the circle will reach the end of the slide and bounce back, forcing you to move the stylus back down the slide repeatedly.

The taps and slides will appear on the touchscreen in specific patterns and combos, all in perfect harmony to the music and the Ouendan "cheer squad" which is doing what resembles a cross between a dance and a martial arts routine in the background.

It's all in Japanese, but it's quite easy to glean what all of the functions are, as well as what's happening in the stories going on on the top screen. Also, after beating a level, you can hit the option in the lower left corner to replay it and duplicate your score so you can watch the story on the top screen instead of playing.

Total of 15 songs with 4 difficulty modes each (easy, med, hard and insane), and I've yet to beat the final level in med, which features "Ready, Steady, Go", one of the many intro themes for Full Metal Alchemist. I recognize some of the Japanese songs from the J-Donkey Konga, but most of them are new.

I only have one cart, but it also offers co-op and vs. multiplayer (multicard, of course). Overall, excellent game and the only successful concept in a rhythm game I've ever seen on a handheld yet.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Ouenden Friggin' RULES!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »
 DUH!
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:45:54 PM »
So, you would say this game is worth the $50 import from Lik-Sang?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »
Definitely worth it, but I've heard it can be found for cheaper elsewhere.

I might have to check to buy more copies for multiplayer...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Ouenden Friggin' RULES!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:11:33 AM »
I have a copy on the way.  A friend of mine went to Japan last month and I had him pick me up a copy.  He's back now, but I haven't gotten around to seeing him yet.  I can't wait to get my hands on the game.

GameSpot has some pretty cool game play movies for the game that you should check out if you're interested.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »
Sorry to bump this thread back, but I finally was able to Ouendan thanks to a friend of mine and I fully agree with SB...THE GAME FREAKING ROCKS!

The music is awesome, the characters are awesome, the gameplay is hard but awesome, the stories are awesome (I nearly cried when I played the Over the distance stage, beautiful...), the graphics are awesome...the whole game is freaking awesome!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »
I feel bad for waiting for the US version, especially since the US version will have completely different songs.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I feel bad for waiting for the US version, especially since the US version will have completely different songs.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I say this will be one of those cases in which you will want to own both versions of the same game.

I'm hoping that some of the original stories are carried over to the US versions. I mean, they are universal enough that they don't need to be deleted. For example the ghost love story stages and the meteor ones are very universal. All they need to do is change the art style and the characters and change the story slightly to accomodate the Elite Beat Agents.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 10:02:45 AM »
Personally, I like the one where the fat queen in ancient Egypt builds a pyramid to appease the gods and make her beautiful.  Very PC.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 07:00:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I've yet to beat the final level in med, which features "Ready, Steady, Go"
I finally got to this level this morning.  I attempted it twice and then promptly gave up.  I don't think it's possible to beat.

There seem to be hits that start and end before tracks finish.  So I either have to skip the end of the track (and get a miss) or finish the track and miss the hit.

Did you ever beat this level?  Has anyone, ever?

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 07:38:54 AM »
I can't beat it in medium, either, but...yes, it is possible.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 08:18:50 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I've yet to beat the final level in med, which features "Ready, Steady, Go"
I finally got to this level this morning.  I attempted it twice and then promptly gave up.  I don't think it's possible to beat.

There seem to be hits that start and end before tracks finish.  So I either have to skip the end of the track (and get a miss) or finish the track and miss the hit.

Did you ever beat this level?  Has anyone, ever?

I was able to .

If you think medium was hard, Hard and Insane are going to be HELL for you.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »
I, too, have finished RSG on Medium, Hard, and Very Hard...man Very Hard nearly drove me insane! I think I S-Ranked on Very Hard/Insane...but I'm not 100% sure.

On the EBA side of things I am currently in the process of S-Ranking every song in Hard Rock (JUST 3 MORE TO GO! Curse you Survivor, ABC, and Walkie Talkie Man...actually saving WTM for last since it's easiest.)
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
Aww there bringing back the fire backgrounds and animated fire in no.2
looks so crappy in no.1

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 03:57:07 AM »
UPDATE: I  did it! Every single song in EBA Hard Rock mode is S-ranked! Ha ha! Now for the way easier task of S-Ranking the rest of the difficulties in the game ;o
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:43 PM »
Finally got this game a couple days ago. Love the J-Pop soundtrack and the creepy costumes for the dancers. It's like EBA was just a fresh coat of paint on Ouendan.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 12:43:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Finally got this game a couple days ago. Love the J-Pop soundtrack and the creepy costumes for the dancers. It's like EBA was just a fresh coat of paint on Ouendan.

Creepy? The costumes are awesome!

Although, the older members (the eye patch, the mohawk and Captain Kai) sport scars and injuries. How would they get those type of scars while CHEERING?

But outside that, I love the art design.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 03:02:56 PM »
BUMP!

Well, it took me a while, but I did it!

I reached the highest rank in Ouendan!

I even took pics!
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 07:02:33 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Although, the older members (the eye patch, the mohawk and Captain Kai) sport scars and injuries. How would they get those type of scars while CHEERING?

They're older, maybe they haven't always been Ouendan. Maybe they're former pirates.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »
well there American cousins did help a ninja, which points towards ninja training