Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
ARMS
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
This ain't a scene, it's an ARMS race.

Anyways, last night on the RFN Aftershow which now seems to be up on the site as RFN505, Syrenne McNulty came on the show and said ARMS was legit. That conversation got me more hyped up for Arms than Nintendo's presentation did. That said, the video from the presentation did intrigue me with the skill and strategy they demonstrated in trying to land a punch on your opponent. This isn't Wii Boxing. This is something way more advanced and I could totally see this being a great game to play in multiplayer with someone else in the room.

My only issue with it is just how deep the experience would be in single-player. It seemed like something that would be great in a compilation a la Wii Sports or Mario Sports Mix but as a game on its own I'm not sure it will be worth the price Nintendo is asking. Moreover, if it is more multiplayer focused then you'll probably need to play it over the internet for online matches to get the most value out of it in which case you now need to pay for the online service to get the most use out of it and I'm not ready to pay for Nintendo's online service yet.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:47:03 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Re: ARMS: Get your Virtua On!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
ARMS looked very nice. But from what I saw I don't know if it's a deep enough experience to warrant the $60 price tag.

That being said, I had the same concerns about Splatoon and look how that turned out.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by how satisfying the single player experience was in Splatoon, even if it did leave me wanting more. If ARMS can manage to mix in enough interesting ideas and maybe break away from its 1v1 playstyle like Splatoon did (maybe fighting in corridors or more interesting, varied boss-rush sorts of scenarios? With the freedom of movement, there's a lot of possbilities), I think it could definitely be worth the full price of entry.

The roster needs to double, though.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
I'll be keeping my eyes on Arms.  Like you all, i'm not sure how much play it'll get out of multiplayer in my house, so it's dependent on

1) How robust a single player is there?
2) Online vs?

I like the gameplay I see, though.  I think it looks really fun.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
I'm glad they're still making games with motion, however this particular game doesn't really appeal to me. The gameplay looks kind of interesting, but I'm just not into 1v1 type games.

Now, if this somehow has some sort of single-player mode... maybe.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
I'm kind of astonished that this isn't a pack-in game. That's to say nothing of the game's quality (I'll admit I wasn't that excited for it during the reveal, but I've warmed up to the concept after watching some of the Treehouse Live stuff this morning), but, sticking with the fighting game formula, it seems like it would have been easy for Nintendo to make a lot of money on this game anyway with paid DLC and it would have made the $300 price for Switch much more palatable.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
I'm glad they're still making games with motion, however this particular game doesn't really appeal to me. The gameplay looks kind of interesting, but I'm just not into 1v1 type games.

Now, if this somehow has some sort of single-player mode... maybe.

I'm with you there.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
The Treehouse stream showcases some of the depth and variety in 1v1 combat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6pMr1BKec

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 02:36:39 AM »
Five characters seems a little light for a fighting game, I hope they add more.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
NOA has confirmed that the game will be fully playable with conventional button controls.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
Shame on whoever titled this thread.  I miss Virtua On, now  :(

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
Five characters seems a little light for a fighting game, I hope they add more.

In one of the interviews I read, when asked if there were more characters, the developer responded, "Of course."
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
Nice to see Nintendo launching more new IPs, hopefully Splatoon has showed them that it's a risk worth taking. ARMS doesn't look like a system-seller to me, but it might one of those games that you'll get eventually and find surprisingly fun?

Are those behind-the-character fighting games like Pokkén just the new way in which fighting games are made nowadays? Seems like it would strain the hardware right, since it needs to run two simultaneous camera angles whenever there's splitscreen?

I don't know anything about tech, or fighting games actually, so these may be entirely unfounded observations lol. Hope it turns out a winner!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »
Well, ARMS doesn't look all that graphically intensive, even in comparison with Pokken. But I think another aspect that will makes it perform better is the local multiplayer aspect- Pokken's way of managing non-split screen play was convoluted, but the portability of the Switch circumvents this.

Some interesting notes:
-The unique elements of characters seem to revolve around their movement options, with the only exception being Master Mummy's shielding gimmick, which allows him to regenerate health.
-Dashes and Jumps charge punches for a brief period. When charged, ARMS gain faster punch speed and secondary effects- the Toaster, Spring Man's default, causes knockdown and a burn effect. The Shocker, Ribbon Girl's default, causes both arms to become stunned, leaving characters open for a follow-up. Mummy Master's default both cancels opposing punches and continues to travel.
-During the Treehouse demo, it was confirmed that there will be additional weapon choices for characters outside the three stock choices featured. It's unsure if all characters will be able to use all ARMS, or if certain ARMS are relegated to certain weight classes. Master Mummy and Mechanica seem to be able to utilize heavy/large ARMS, for example, but Mechanica can also use Toasters.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
A recent Japanese video showed the unique elements of each fighter.
https://youtu.be/LTrMlFEPUcA

Spring Man has an auto guard when he executes a dash, and his punches become charged non-stop when at low health.
Ribbon Girl has a total of four jumps in mid air, which can be mixed in any number of ways. She also appears to have a jump-cancel that allows her to advance on characters that have missed her.
Ninjara has a unique dodge animation that allows him to avoid damage completely by disappearing. He can use this to gain a frame advantage on enemies when in close combat.
Master Mummy has super armor and does not become stunned by uncharged hits. He also regains health, as mentioned before.
Mechanica has a hover mode upon executing a jump, and gains Super armor while airborne.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »
ARMS

ARMS

BIFF

POW!

The confirmation of a 2v2 mode is immensely exciting to me, as doubles in any tournament setting is a welcome addition and I can only imagine the team-building elements one could implement in player customization. There's some great new details revealed for the game, as well as a single new fighter, which surprised me quite a bit. All-in-all, I can imagine that the roster will max out at about 10-12 fighters, as they don't seem all that eager to drop a number of new combatants into the mix. However, the explanation for Minmin was extremely dense- she seems to have a pair of the most unique character gimmicks in the game. The importance of understanding a character's abilities might be key to ARMS, which may lead to a slow trickle of information about new fighters. Indeed, when attempting to introduce a completely new kind of 3D fighter to the consumer, you might want to take the time to explain the character variety.

The ARMS currency/acquisition system seems simplistic enough, and gives me a trophy rush/coin fire/slot machine sort of feel a la Super Smash Bros.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
I'm getting some really nice Overwatch vibes from the character design. So far everything has been good but I'm still not really sold on this. It need either a demo or a beta to try and build up some good buzz.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
I think it's important to recognize what this is: an attempt by Nintendo to make a dedicated 3D fighting game. If you're not a fan of those types of games, you probably won't get much out of this game. In other words, if you're looking for a robust single-player mode, I think the best you might get is a mission mode like Soul Calibur 2 or Smash Bros, but that is likely the extent of it.

As recently reported, a watchful eye noticed two more character portraits on one of the screens!

It appears to be a female character and a robot! That brings the current total to 8.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
I think it's important to recognize what this is: an attempt by Nintendo to make a dedicated 3D fighting game. If you're not a fan of those types of games, you probably won't get much out of this game. In other words, if you're looking for a robust single-player mode, I think the best you might get is a mission mode like Soul Calibur 2 or Smash Bros, but that is likely the extent of it.

As recently reported, a watchful eye noticed two more character portraits on one of the screens!

It appears to be a female character and a robot! That brings the current total to 8.

I think you make a good point about what this is. but I also see it for what it also is: a competitive online fighting game.

Within a span of 3 months, the Switch will have an online racer, online fighter, and an online shooter. A triple crown of online games provided Nintendo finally does online well.

The only reason I am even remotely interested in ARMS is the prospect of a really good online atmosphere and community.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:07:24 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »
The only reason I am even remotely interested in ARMS is the prospect of a really good online atmosphere and community.

Pretty much this for me. Which makes the lack of news about the paid online even more baffling. Until I know more about that I'm not going to bother with Splatoon 2 or this game, regardless of how good they can be. But ARMS is looking pretty good and I do hope we can get a nice community around it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
Online communities can't be nice.

EDIT: Make that FOUR more characters, bringing our roster to 10!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:23:06 PM by Evan_B »

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
I'm still interested in the game.  There's an undeniable amount of polish, and as I suspected, there's more characters/arms under the surface than they initially showed.

I'm still a wait and see on the buy front though, it's largely dependent on how much of a grind there is to unlocking everything (I'll withhold judgement on in-game currency until it's confirmed whether it's reasonable or Street Fighter V level) and what different modes they've come up with.

Moreso than anything, though, this game needs a demo.  How movement feels, how varied each fighter's movements are, and the difficulty curve of getting good at characters is pretty important to me in a game like this, and I won't have any clue how much I'll get out of Arms until I get some hands-on time.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
The announcement of a 2v2 mode certainly has me more interested in this game. I hope there's some good teamplay to be had.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
Honestly, this latest trailer has pretty much sold me on ARMS and yet, I'm still hesitant about it because I'm not much on an online player. Thus, I'd still be worried about how fun or interesting it would be in single player. Yet, this is the first game that has me interested in maybe trying to get into some online matches. It was mentioned a little bit before on the possibilities of the Smash Bros. formula being shaken up a bit and ARMS is starting to feel like that shake-up. It's a really neat spin on the fighting formula and even though I'm not big into fighter games aside from Smash Bros., this one is really beginning to appeal to me. If I had to choose one game only to play online game between MK8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2, I'm choosing ARMS.

I'm with Evan_B. ARMS is now the most exciting game being released after BotW.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
I WIN!

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 10:56:23 PM »
ARMS invitational tournament in Japan with Street Fighter legend Momochi, and Smash 4 players Dabuz and Abadango:

(Matches start around the 40 minute mark)

Watching some of this is the first time I've been interested in ARMS in more than an "I should keep an open mind" type of way. Nintendo need more events like this prior to launch if they want to effectively market this as a real "eSports" game. The Treehouse folks are great, and I like watching them demo the basics of upcoming Nintendo games and share tidbits about their development, but it's clear from watching this that Nintendo needs to put ARMS in the hands of professional fighting game players (who approach these games with a totally different mindset) to really showcase the depth that might be in this game.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
The video kind of shows off the unfortunate side of the demo roster, which is that Ninjara dominates against all other characters except Ribbon Girl in some circumstances.

Mechanica has hovering, at least, and I'm still on the fence on whether or not that's a good thing. But Master Mummy's abilities are absolutely terrible. He still takes damage despite his super armor, and he only regains 10HP per 3 seconds or so, which is not going to make up losses. Ninjara, on the other hand, is able to do precise dodges that make him invulnerable to attacks. Add the fact that he has generally decent speed and that those dodges seem relatively easy to do, and you have a standout character.

Hoping that Min Min's abilities can act as a hard counter, or that we see some sort of balancing effect come into play as other characters are introduced.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
I'm sorry, do you want to discuss how disappointing Nintendo is? Because I want to discuss ARMS.
https://youtu.be/X2Wzy4p-v2c

A new character, or rather, previously noticed character, has been officially been announced! Helix's reveal trailer actually gives us a whole lot more to chew on. Not only does he have an astounding amount of- excuse the pun- flexibility, but he also shows off a few absolutely awesome ARMS. There's the dragon ARMS in ice form, but we also see some new bouncy arms, which I assume will have two hotboxes or chances to curve. Either way, they move strangely, and it makes sense to show them off with Helix. The most delightful new ARMS on display, however, are those shield arms! They extend, and then expand and hang in mid-air. They even take on an elemental property, which means they act as mobile shields that can negatively impact a player should they choose to attack. That is awesome.

Let's not forget Helix himself, whose gimmick seems to revolve around height changing. While I'm not entirely sure what the advantage of extending to maximum height brings (maybe it does thin him out and make him harder to hit, as evidenced by the trailer?), but the ability to shrink under incoming attacks looks particularly effective. I am wondering how these height shifts are executed with motion controls, however. With Min Min, her special abilities activate by using standard inputs, so maybe blocking and jumping cause Helix to shrink and extend, respectively? No matter the method, I'm becoming increasingly impressed by the amount of thought and variation going into these alternate characters, but it also makes me question the original five characters even more. Ribbon Girl and Ninjara still seem unique, but Master Mummy and Mechaninca's abilities pale in comparison with newer characters like Min Min and Helix.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:44:44 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
Those videos do nothing for me. I'm intrigued by ARMS but without any hands-on time with the game I still feel pretty skeptical about it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »
Oh, don't be such a buzzkill.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
Those videos do nothing for me. I'm intrigued by ARMS but without any hands-on time with the game I still feel pretty skeptical about it.

What about the hands-on time of others? Most players have found it to be really awesome. Evan, dig up some impressions. I'm not doing any work. This isn't my topic.  ;)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
Yo the new character Helix looks awesome, I starting to come around to Arms, maybe a demo would help convince people.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 10:37:29 PM »
I also believe this game needs a demo. I'd love to play it with someone before buying.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2017, 12:26:50 AM »
There really should be a demo. I think the Testfire events were a big part of selling a lot of people on Splatoon, and that game was a much more traditional type of thing as a team-based first person shooter. This game is hard to wrap your head around, and I feel like letting people try it will go a long way toward making it easy to understand.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
Yeah, it looks like there's a lot more nuance to the game on the surface than most fighters. Like, button mashing is in no way a strategy here.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
For those who care, there was an ARMS tournament in Japan, which showed off some really fantastic gameplay and pretty much changed my opinion of Master Mummy (but not Mechanica). Its a four hour stream, although the first match begins around minute 32.

The fact that the normal favorite, Ninjara, received stiff competition from Min Min and Master Mummy, shows that this game has really solid mechanics and interesting combinations. There's some fantastic Helix gameplay at the start that shows how terrifying both he and the Dragon ARMS can be, and some great examples of how stages can factor into interesting gameplay choices. I am hoping that the full game allows players to pick or vote for stages, as the combination of ARMS, characters, and stages makes for a very interesting meta.

But I should mention Master Mummy! I completely underestimated that healing ability of his, and I was delighted to see how effectively players used it and his arsenal of ARMS. The revolvers are absolutely deadly in his hands and it's no surprise that a double-revolver player was the winner of the tournament. I think that the combination of his healing and super armor means you have to play extremely aggressive and grab-oriented against him, and while Mechanica has really similar properties, the negative part of her play style is that she only has super armor in the air, and cannot air dodge while hovering. The low amount of players using her makes me think she's not going to be popular.

Here's the video, in case anyone is interested. Also, blah blah no demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2oF1J9EO8w

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
Looking at them, I think I like Master Mummy the best of all characters so far.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
This month's issue of EDGE magazine features my favorite game on its cover, and talks a bit about control schemes, so I thought I'd mention that here.

You can, in fact, play ARMS with a single Joy Con, as well as a Pro Controller. However, while single Joy Con play does have all the commands mapped (you click the control stick to shield, a particularly odd choice), the article states that a player cannot stagger punches until the first punch has fully extended, which has to do with how punch curving works. When punching, the control stick becomes the method of curving rather than movement, which means you can't move one way and punch in the other, but it also means that two punches can't occur simultaneously. Of course, some of this might be mitigated with a Pro Controller, but I can see the same sort of issues popping up.

EDGE plainly states that ARMS is not as satisfying without motion controls.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I might as well mention the uploaded footage from the second day of the Sugo Ude Tournament, and discuss the Charging mechanic in a bit more detail. For those who aren't fighting game fans, please ignore this text. However, I'd like to focus in on what makes this game such a fascinating example of fighting mechanics, as well as highlight some of the depth that has not yet been explored. If you don't care about that, you can find part one and two of the Sugo Ude tournament (about an hour of pure fighting footage, no in-between commentary) here:
Part One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_nqZHtJz5w
Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkm6Jly4dc

Some interesting notes, a lot of people started applying the Master Mummy strategy of double revolvers to Mechanica in this tournament, which did result in some wins. Mechanica's aerial movement is helpful for this strategy, and there were some great examples of aerial cancels into combos. However, the overall winner of the tournament was Ribbon girl, with a ditto match occurring in the finals that was pretty disappointing. You can clearly see the skill difference between the two players which is another example of how this game is NOT a glorified Wii Boxing.

An integral part of ARMS gameplay is the charging mechanic, which is something that many players were able to use to their advantage in the Sugo Ude tournament. I've mentioned it in this thread before, but I wanted to go into a bit more detail here, because the more matches you watch, the more you'll see why players are focusing in on the current "sets" of ARMS that come with certain characters, and why symmetry between ARMS can be a good or a bad thing.

Charging takes place one of two ways: when a player holds a specific input for a prolonged period of time, such as the shield, dodge, or jump buttons, or when a player performs two of the same input twice in a row, such as dodges or air dodges. The reason this is important is that, in order to charge your ARMS, you need to either put yourself in a vulnerable state (air dodging leaves the player open to an attack upon landing, shielding leaves a player open to a grab, charging an input leaves a player open to almost anything), or change the established rhythm of the game. Then, of course, there are the additional features of charged ARMS that greatly factor into being able to counter and surmount enemies.

One of the most exploited characters for the charge mechanic out of all of the more recent gameplay has been Min Min for very obvious reasons: her grab automatically powers up her left "dragon" arm, which then leads to extended charges on the equipped left ARM. When charged, Min Min's left ARM deals roughly three times as much damage, although this may change depending on the ARM equipped- most Min Min players have opted to use the Chakram on the left ARM because of its excellent mobility, but other examples, such as Ribbon Girl's Slapamander, possess the same triple-damage property. On the other hand, there are some ARMS with extremely high damage output that don't get a damage boost when charged- for example, the electric-attribute Revolver used by Mechanica remains at a substantial 70-35 per first and second hit (if you miss the first of the three revolver shots but connect the second, it will still deal 70 damage. If you hit with all three, the first deals 70, second 35, and third 35), but it does gain the elemental electric damage, which causes both of the opponents' ARMS to enter a damaged state. Master Mummy's "Giant" ARMS deal 110 damage per hit, but gain super armor of their own upon being charged as well as 20 additional points of damage. However, all ARMS extend at a faster rate when charged, which can result in the game looking rather hectic.

With all this talk of the benefits of charging, you might think the only way to properly use your ARMS is to charge them, but this isn't the case. As seen in the Sugo Ude tournament, there are traditional fighting game archetypes that depend heavily on the choice of ARMS- however, what is absolutely awesome is that a character's traditional role can be subverted with these choices. Having a Master Mummy with revolvers doesn't allow him to take advantage of his healing ability or the charging properties as much, but it does essentially transform him into a "rushdown" type character- without the need to charge his ARMS in order to power through enemy attacks, he can cover a huge amount of the stage space and consistently hound the opposing player with roughly six attacks per two staggered punches. This doesn't even factor in stage choice, in which Master Mummy can take advantage of both his healing and rushdown properties thanks to stage obstacles, and maybe even gain more aerial mobility thanks to stage elevation.

But if there's one thing that players haven't been able to take advantage of in a multitude of characters, its their defensive properties. Helix players have rarely used his shrinking ability to dodge attacks, but his elongating abilities have been used even less so. Spring Man remains extremely underused in general, but rarely have players been able to execute his "shockwave" gimmick that repels incoming attacks, partially because charging in general has rarely been utilized, (because, unlike Min Min, Spring Man's shockwave only executes after his ARMS have been charged), but also because players haven't had the chance to really experiment with the design of the characters. Min Min's kicks, another huge part of her arsenal, have not been utilized in a single match I've seen, because they rely on leaving yourself vulnerable in order to execute.

In other words, while the Sugo Ude tournament has allowed players the chance to experiment a great deal, ARMS depth is still a bit elusive, and many matches appear to be heavily reliant on aggressive play rather than defensive options. Like many of you, I'm interested in getting a demo, if only so I can experiment with these options so that, in competitive play, I can execute them consistently. And that's where I'm really going with this: ARMS is not a fighting game light on mechanics or depth. If you are looking for a game where one player can ruthlessly exploit the other for not understanding the mechanics, ARMS is that game, but also with motion controls that are gimmicky and fun.

You have been warned.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:26:02 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
Man, I gotta do everything in this topic. New ARMS related Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Will also have a new Splatoon 2 trailer.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/864480646424559616

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
I hope they announce the launch date for the much needed demo.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »
Phil, that's not news, it's confirmation of news that I'll cover tomorrow.

If I stay here, I get people meme-ing about a demo. If I go lurk in the ARMS discord, I get people meme-ing about the existence of doubles play.

I can't win.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:51 PM »
What, no posts complaining about the demo time frame? I thought you guys were determined to ruin my fun no matter what.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 02:04:14 AM »
The new characters are better than most of the previous characters.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
The Cobra guy has the best puns so I'll start with that one once I inevitably get this.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
Super excited for the demo.  Gonna have to block off the time in my calendar.  I really like that's 2 weekends, but I would've preferred an offline demo.  Something where you can just play as Spring Man and Ribbon Girl with the 3 ARMS options each against a CPU or a 2P and that's it.  However, there's something about it being limited that just hits the part of my brain that activates the hype.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
The Japanese ARMS twitter confirms that seven of the ten playable characters will be available for use in the Test Punch. Twintelle, Barq and Byte, and Kid Cobra won't be usable. If/when you join a lobby, the party search rules will be in effect- you will cycle through v-ball, skill-shot, one-on-one, and two-versus-two, potentially at random.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
That sounds fair.  I'd hate to want to try one mode and not be able to find anyone.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
Finally got around to watching the ARMS Direct yesterday. This game has definitely become a Must-Buy for when I get a Switch which is surprising since I'm not really a fan of fighting games. Leave it to Nintendo to come up with an interesting new take on the genre. A couple months ago I posted about how Smash Bros. is the next series I'd like to see Nintendo change up the formula like Zelda:BotW did to the Zelda formula. Watching the ARMS Direct gave me a bit of a Smash Bros. vibe with it's different modes, items appearing in the fight, different stages with different hazards. It seems like it could have been the potential change-up I was asking for in Smash Bros.

Frankly, I figured when Mario Odyssey came out that it would be the game I'd most want to buy a Switch for but right now ARMS has suddenly got me thinking about buying a Switch early just to get it and be on the ground floor early of the game and not get left behind as others gain more experience with it. I didn't think that would be the case from its initial reveal. So, good on Nintendo and the development team in what they've done so far. Here's hoping the product is as solid as it looks and it gets the sales it would seem to deserve from this trailer.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
Yeah, it's great to see they're really fleshing out the game with content. I'll definitely pick it up at some point.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
So I'm looking at these controller layouts over on NintendoLife and for the life of me I can't understand why they mapped the punches on the face buttons, then nothing on ZL and ZR for the Pro Controller. I really hope you can re-map those controls.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/gallery_check_out_five_control_schemes_for_arms

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 01:42:24 AM »
It's so scrubs like you can't rely on non-motion controls to try to win tournaments.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
If you need to handicap conventional controls to make your motion controls look good, then your motion controls are ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
Every input is mapped on the traditional controls. You just can't curve punches as reliably because you aren't using motion. I don't see the problem there. It's a fighting game that becomes more technical with motion controls. That means traditional controls are worse, which is funny because "purists" are going to find any reason they can to complain about it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
I don't like that A and B are the main punch buttons either.  The shoulders would make more sense.  B and Y would also be more comfortable.

Also, "every input is mapped" is a weak reply to "these inputs are mapped poorly" (paraphrased, obvs).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
When it comes to controls, Nintendo have always had an "Our way or the highway" attitude, so consider it lucky that the game even has any options at all. I don't think I'd want to switch from the motion controls though, so it probably won't bother me.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
The music is so awesome! Not surprising since it's the Mario Kart team!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »
I don't like that A and B are the main punch buttons either.  The shoulders would make more sense.  B and Y would also be more comfortable.

Also, "every input is mapped" is a weak reply to "these inputs are mapped poorly" (paraphrased, obvs).
Then my much more eloquent and rational response would be, "traditional inputs are dumb anyway. Embrace motion controls."

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »
I'm down for the motion controls.  Who said I wasn't??  I'll fight them!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
So will I!*

*On Final Destination, no items, stock battle, Fox Only with Gamecube Controllers which is the only true way to fight someone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
I've got nothing against the motion controls, but I mostly play my Switch in the handheld configuration where the traditional controls will be my only option. I don't want to criticize the layout until I've gotten my hands on it, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
*On Final Destination, no items, stock battle, Fox Only with Gamecube Controllers which is the only true way to fight someone.

Obvi.

I've got nothing against the motion controls, but I mostly play my Switch in the handheld configuration where the traditional controls will be my only option. I don't want to criticize the layout until I've gotten my hands on it, though.

That's just lazy.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »
You know a great way to curve punches with the Pro Controller? Using the right stick, which currently looks to be assigned to...what exactly? But instead of leaving my right thumb open to use the right stick I now have to use it to punch when my index fingers could do that with the shoulders buttons just fine.

IF ARMS ever gets a competitive scene going expect conventional controls to dominate, as they do in every other competitive esports scene. I'm not having this argument just to be a contrarian. I don't understand this "full motion controls or bust" attitude when Splatoon showed very well you could marry the two concepts and have a perfectly harmonious relationship.

Also, the Pro Controller has gyro. If you're going to tank the game for motion controls you picked a bad console to do it on.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
The point of ARMS is that, with the ideal control style, you are able to stagger punches and control their movement at the same time. While you might argue that you should be able to control the directions of both punches with both analog sticks, what happens when you punch with a single hand and want to move in another direction? Does movement automatically snap to the "other" control stick? That's needlessly convoluted and unintuitive. Therefore, you become stationary when punching and move your singular punch inputs with a single control stick.

You argue that Splatoon mixes things better, but Splatoon's gyro/control stick mix is used to control the camera alone, not two separate types of inputs that can occur at the same time. I think that's an unfair comparison to make, especially since ARMS doesn't have camera control. Your disappointment regarding the lack of trigger/bumper usage, I can understand, but your motion and gyro argument doesn't make sense to me.

And while I enjoy the competitive fight game angle of ARMS, judging by the lukewarm reception from the majority of users on this site and your accurate description of the importance of precision in fighting games already invalidates the chance that this game will develop a strong FGC following. Except, thumbs-up grip offers more options and precision than traditional controls do, which is simultaneously the reason the game could be an outstanding example of traditional v motion control, and also the reason it could fail to garner any sort of eSports presence in the same way Splatoon failed despite having similarly solid foundations. I can't think of a fighting game that DOES offer higher precision with motion controls, so arguing that precision is favored by competitive players simply isn't true. Many competitive esports do require motion inputs at professional levels, so again, saying the fighting game community is going to make or break this game is absurd, partially because the argument is fruitless anyway since ARMS isn't looking like a major seller anyway, and partially because the people who do seem committed to playing it at a high level are favoring the motion controls anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:00:37 AM by Evan_B »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2017, 12:46:37 AM »
The point of ARMS is that, with the ideal control style, you are able to stagger punches and control their movement at the same time. While you might argue that you should be able to control the directions of both punches with both analog sticks, what happens when you punch with a single hand and want to move in another direction? Does movement automatically snap to the "other" control stick? That's needlessly convoluted and unintuitive. Therefore, you become stationary when punching and move your singular punch inputs with a single control stick.

I wouldn't argue that all because like you said it's unintuitive. You move with the left stick and curve punches with the right stick. Or you map the controllers any which way you want I don't care. This game can work perfectly fine without motion controls. But the worst thing you can do is have this mess of a configuration just to make the motion controls look good by comparison.

I mean, click the left stick to guard? I don't want to advocate firing people but who thought that was a good idea?

Except, thumbs-up grip offers more options and precision than traditional controls do, which is simultaneously the reason the game could be an outstanding example of traditional v motion control, and also the reason it could fail to garner any sort of eSports presence in the same way Splatoon failed despite having similarly solid foundations.

Splatoon didn't have have a spectator mode, one of the most basic things needed in order to gain traction as an esport.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:51:19 AM by Soren »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »
The controls are gimped so that they are universal across all traditional methods, including single Joy Con. I won't pretend this is a good thing, it's not. But that's likely the cause.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »
I'm kinda seeing Evan_B's point.  How would one curve both punches with one stick?  Maybe holding down the trigger lets you curve?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
After an hour of playing this game in handheld mode, I have to say I think the traditional layout works really well. Punches work fine with the face buttons, though I might have switched it to A and Y for right and left, moving dash to B. That hour also completely sold me on the game, where I was a bit hesitant going in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/jtsknight92/status/868275299561164800

One man's praise is another man's uuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

In all seriousness I'm jealous you guys are playing this weekend. I hope to catch some impressions next week.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:48:42 PM by Soren »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
I played with motion controls.  There were time when they didn't feel as tight as I would've liked, but that could've been some interference.  Overall liked, but anything with more than 2 players just just total chaos.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »
I'm interested though I'm still not sure if I'm interested enough to buy this day one. In any case, I preordered both Arms and Splatoon 2 on the Amazon last night. I can always change my mind later.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2017, 07:59:45 PM »
Played with the Pro Controller (best controller) and it is so much better!  The ZR and ZL buttons can be used for punching, although this isn't explained anywhere.  I had already gotten used to using A & B, so I had to make some adjusting after discovering this fact.  Moving around the arenas is also MUCH easier with the stick.  Key drawback is the blocking being the press of the left joystick.  That isn't great.

EDIT: Forgot the other test punch was starting.  Wanted to add that switching targets is also much easier as it's mapped to the right stick.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:12:46 PM by nickmitch »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
I played some more of this tonight, and I am absolutely in love with this game. I kind of had the same experience as nickmitch in terms of having a tough time adjusting to punching with the shoulder buttons because I had gotten used to using A and B, so I kind of switched back and forth unintentionally over the course of it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2017, 02:12:42 AM »
I've missed all the test matches! :(

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2017, 03:14:34 AM »
There are still two more this weekend and a bunch more next weekend.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
This game is terrible.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't say terrible...but it's a $60 arcade game where everyone basically has the same moves.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
That's so inaccurate, I almost feel bad for you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
It's not *that* inaccurate.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
Tried the test fire. Here are my thoughts.

- Graphics are stunning
- Motion controls are best for combat, but harder for movement.
- Controller is better for movement, but not as good for combat.
- The lobby makes no sense. I guess you just get thrown in to matches randomly?
- Min Min is my favorite fighter to play so far.
- Helix is TERRIBLE to play and even to look at.
- The character movement seems very slow
- Multiplayer matches are frustrating. I feel like I need a lock on.
- Punching does feel quite right. I guess it isn't punching, it's launching attacks
- Grabbing feels food
- Volleyball is terrible
- I lost interest after about 30 minutes. I don't know if I want to buy it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
I actually really like VBall.  Not super sure what all the hate is.  It's frustrating when there's 4 people and everyone is just recklessly throwing punches however.  The opponent being able to hit the ball when it's way on your side and you team mate being able to hit you are bummers.  But I found the one-on-one to be great.  There's some technique there, and I was once able to win a match 5-0.

The one-on-one seems to be consistently better than group affairs.  They're just too chaotic/confusing.  I was in one match where I got double-teamed the entire time.  I lost very quickly.  There was another time where I just backed away and let the other two fighters duke it out, which worked surprisingly well.  That doesn't work as well with four people.

As for the stages, the spring-man stage feels cramped; the ninja guy stage feels too long, and the stairs make it kind of annoying; the helix stage feels crowded with all the obstacles.  They all-in-all are ok with what I see more as drawbacks than features. 

To some of ShyGuy's points, there is kind of a lock on.  You're basically targeting one of the opponents.  You can switch with either the right stick (traditional) or the face buttons (motion).  I also didn't care for the lobby too much.  It just feels like I'm stuck with the same pool of people for the whole time.  I guess they match you with 7 others for one lobby and then they randomly assign matches from that.  I had one instance where one of my matches ended early, and I had to wait for everyone else to get done so I could be assigned a match.  Other than that one specific instance, I felt the matches started pretty quickly.  The warm up option is really nice to have for the little down time.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:20 AM »
- Multiplayer matches are frustrating. I feel like I need a lock on.

I only played for about 4 matches, and got one 3 player free-for-all match.  THIS was the most glaring issue I had with the match, the game couldn't decide which of the two opponents I should be facing, and basically ended up being able to direct my attacks on neither, got steamrolled.

The 1v1 worked much better, and I actually walked away with no losses in those matches.  This game could really benefit from a "free weekend" like Overwatch does, once it's released in its full version.  Maybe many would walk away feeling like they've played enough of it afterwards though.  I need to catch and spend a whole hour when they have the next Test Punch, to be sure. 

The problem is I think my kids are awake during the rest of them, which makes it tough for me to try it out without being interrupted constantly.

Still a wait-and-see for me, I have lots of competitive games i've been sinking my time into lately, so it's tough for me to squeeze this in, given that.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2017, 04:02:00 AM »
yeah, switching targets with the left joycon face buttons is bad, and uh...

I ended up being really sore after an hour of playing this game. won a LOT with Master Mummy, and his regen trait is great for three way dances, but... yeah. The Test Punch really curbed my expectations on this one quite a bit, which is a crying shame because the character design here is SO good and there's clearly effort put in. also, with motion controls, I found myself accidentally grabbing when I'd try to go for a block, so... yeah.

This game would have made a hella cool arcade game. or would have been neat with a crazy Steel Batallion style controllers, but it just... doesn't cut it as is.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
yeah, switching targets with the left joycon face buttons is bad, and uh...

so THAT'S how you switch targets.  I don't recall them mentioning it at all in the intro tutorial.

This might be a "wait for a sale" title for me.  I think the core gameplay is fun (and is the closest I'll get to virtua-on style gameplay, if a bit slower), but I can hold out to see if my local target or Amazon decides to offload some excess stock.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
For some reason, Amazon listed Arms for $50.55 at some point which means I'm guaranteed that price for pre-ordering. With Prime, I'm basically getting this game for around $40. I think I can live with that.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »
Just going to post the Testpunch times for this weekend again for anyone like me playing them

2nd June, 2017
5pm PDT / 6pm MDT / 7pm CDT / 8pm EDT

3rd June, 2017
5am PDT / 6am MDT / 7am CDT / 8am EDT
11am PDT / 12pm MDT / 1pm CDT / 2pm EDT
5pm PDT / 6pm MDT / 7pm CDT / 8pm EDT

4th June, 2017
5am PDT / 6am MDT / 7am CDT / 8am EDT
11am PDT / 12pm MDT / 1pm CDT / 2pm EDT

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »
Don't underestimate the power of DAT ASS

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
Finally got a chance to play some of the beta. Some quick thoughts.

- There's a bit of nuance here but the controllers aren't helping. Played with the Pro Controller and the game at times wants you to do things but the layout just doesn't seem optimized for it. Maybe things will get better once I learn the fighters and arm combinations.
- Min Min is confirmed best girl <3
- I already feel like I hate the lobby system. Sticking with the same 7-8 players on the same lobby isn't ideal. I really hope the game refreshes once every few matches and I sure as hell hope it won't be the same in ranked mode.
- 2v2 is an absolute dumpster fire and I hope there's an option to never play it. Locking on to targets it's clunky and there's just too much mayhem, and not even the good kind.
- Played a bit with Twintelle and Ribbon Girl but their movesets didn't click as fast as they did with Min Min.

I'm still not sold on the game. I will wait for reviews but for now let's say I'm intrigued by the potential depth it might hold.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
I've mostly settled on Mechanica as my main so far, though I still need to put in more time on a few of them.

I was very indifferent toward volleyball last week, but I really like basketball.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:50 PM »
Experiencing very little lag in ARMS? That's because, according to producer Kosuke Yabuki, the brief period of time in which the characters' ARMS extend actually absorbs online lag in order to keep the matches running as smoothly as possible.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Played Min Min exclusively for this last hour with her curvy spinny arms and had a blast. Had two great battles with Twintelle players which I only won by building up my special. I think this game is slowly sucking me in even though I still have a lot to learn. Need to incorporate jumps a lot more as my game has been pretty ground based so far.

110 points!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »
You guys stick in the same group all the time? I popped out of groups manually every once in awhile once I hit around 20-30 points to mix things up with other players, reset my score in the hopes it wouldn't pair me against pros, and also because I felt like the lobby wasn't giving me the hedlok fights I so desperately wanted!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
I only did it to see how high my score could get. I don't like that the lobbies don't cycle players after a while. Matchmaking is very odd as well. It can pair me with the same person 3 times before it puts me in a fight with someone closer to my score even though we're both waiting to be matched.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
Wow.  I think I got to 85 in the last hour.  Impressive.

I think I'm actually sold on this game after the second weekend.  I adjusted to using the the triggers for punching, which is way better than the face buttons.  The hoops matches are really fun and add a nice twist to one-on-one combat.  I liked that throws were the only way to score as well.

I think the best part about weekend 2 was that I didn't get into any free-for-all matches.  Tag matches were still a weak point.  I noticed when I knocked someone down, it auto-targeted the other opponent, but the one I knocked down was still targeting me.  The made defending tougher.

The boss battles are really fun.  I was confused as to what was going on at first though.  Hedlock appeared to be a giant robot head with human legs.  I think it took my 3rd boss battle to realize he was the head, and they just put him over one random fighter.  Either way, a co-operative 3 player match is way better than 3 player free-for-alls.  It was especially fun once people in my room learned to work together. I.e., by not punching people out of their throwing animations.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »
Hedlock battles are terrible. Hoops are great matches. Skill Shots are also fun.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:20 AM »
FORUM RULES

* Thread titles should clearly indicate the content of the post.

You want to change up the title or give it a new subtitle, that's fine. But I think the name ARMS should be in it somehow to actually explain what this topic is and allow others to know what it is about.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
This thread was about attempting to hype a new IP from Nintendo that nobody believed in because they hated motion controls. Now that the demo has been played, people have changed their opinion because- surprise- they can play the game almost uninhibited without motion controls.

ARMS has failed to execute on its premise, and therefore, doesn't deserve to be hyped. It's dead to me, and I'd rather not be associated with the discussion of the game anymore if the whole reason for my initial excitement represents the minority of the player base. Make a new topic of you want.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2017, 11:20:07 AM »
Hedlock battles are terrible. Hoops are great matches. Skill Shots are also fun.

What?!  I really liked those.  I thought having 3 people play co-operatively felt refreshing.  The boss felt sufficiently powerful to make the 3-on-1 competitive/challenging.  The fact that he had six ARMS was also kinda funny.  Admittedly, I could see it getting kind of tired once people figure out a good strategy (which started to happen on my last chance with the demo).  But hopefully there will be some more variety in the bosses themselves.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
Headlock battles are a mess really. It's very easy to get in the way of the other players and break up their combos/ultimates. Given the short time given to beat the boss you need all 3 players to be on the same page from the start and guess what, this game don't have voice chat blah blah blah. It's not a mode I want to play really.

ARMS has failed to execute on its premise, and therefore, doesn't deserve to be hyped. It's dead to me, and I'd rather not be associated with the discussion of the game anymore if the whole reason for my initial excitement represents the minority of the player base. Make a new topic of you want.

Cool story. This is still an ARMS thread.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
I've found that you need to fan out and just stop punching when someone's throwing animation starts.  Successful boss battles I've had involves players doing this.  The ultimates are kinda tricky since you can knock the boss down, making him not-punchable, and it doesn't really help to launch multiple at a time.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »
This thread was about attempting to hype a new IP from Nintendo that nobody believed in because they hated motion controls. Now that the demo has been played, people have changed their opinion because- surprise- they can play the game almost uninhibited without motion controls.

Well, if you want, I can delete your OP which would then make me the new OP and you don't have to be as heavily associated with this ARMS topic anymore.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: ARMS
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
>_>

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »
Next year Nintendo will release "ARMS: Worst Game of the Year Edition.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
The reviews have been very positive about the content and gameplay. Many wanted more substantial content. I didn't care for the Testpunch because I like to practice and enjoy myself offline a great deal before trying online for any game, so I'm on the fence for ARMS. (But I will probably get it anyway. >_>)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
I talked myself out of Arms today. I'm not finished Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 comes out next month, and there have been some great announcements in the last week or so (e.g. Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition, Rocket League etc.) that I'm more excited about. I've barely touched Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Arms still intrigues me, but I think I can wait for a sale.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:11 PM »
I just got my copy in from Best Buy! I had to do a double take because... it's not supposed to be out yet right? Did they break Street Date just for me? <3

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
Nice! This weekend is Awesome Con in DC, so I'm going to that this Saturday (it's actually my first time going the whole time I've been living here, lol).  But I'll definitely make some time on Sunday to play it.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
I played Party online, and it was tons of fun! I really need to get better at remembering I can guard because I got bodied and perfected by someone using some shock ARMS. They'd shock me, and then grab me while I was stunned. Otherwise, I did rather well! I also completed the Grand Prix on Level 3. This is going to be really tough to beat the others! I think a fun goal would be to take my favorite fighters and try to beat each Grand Prix level as them, as the game makes note of that for each fighter.

Does anyone else have the game and would like to play online?

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2017, 07:46:40 PM »
I am down to play.

A few impressions.

Grand Prix is a big ball of meh. Beat it at level 4 to unlock ranked and you probably never have to go back to it again seriously. I might play one or two rounds just to try and get used to a new character. But in no way do I feel the need to finish it with every character.

Ranked is painfully barebones. The subtitle says "Play online for rank (and pride)". I guess they forgot the rank part really. There are no leaderboards. Nintendo keeps doing this thing where they think that the only thing you care about is your own personal rank. No, I want to see where my rank falls along the entire player base. I also want to see where my ranks falls along with people in my friends list. This is basic stuff that Nintendo keeps fucking up over and over. You have this ambiguous rank level that is never really explained. You gain a lot when you win and you lose a little bit after a loss but there's no rhyme or reason to it. I lose the same amount of rank no matter if the person I lost to is below my rank or above it. I still don't know if there are penalties for leaving (something that has happened to me a bit already) and worst of all, there is no stat tracking. Won-loss record? Victories by KO? % of punches landed?  ÂŻ\_(ă„)_/ÂŻ Nintendo has already failed if they wanted to capture the esports crowd. I really hope they patch some of this stuff in soon.

I love Hoops but hate everything else. 2v2 is still a mess I never want to play. V-ball is just ok and skillshot can be fun at times, but it feels too random at times.

I love the nuance of the characters. Min Min is definitely my main, but I still want to take a crack at Ribbon Girl and Mechanica.  I'll keep playing it for sure but if ranked mode is still busted I'll probably get bored of it after a few weeks.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2017, 04:04:03 AM »
They're just protecting you from numbers that will make you feel bad. They are the only ones that know that the numbers are evil. The only progress you need is feeling good after a match. :p

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
I still don't know if there are penalties for leaving (something that has happened to me a bit already) and worst of all, there is no stat tracking. Won-loss record? Victories by KO? % of punches landed?  ÂŻ\_(ă„)_/ÂŻ Nintendo has already failed if they wanted to capture the esports crowd. I really hope they patch some of this stuff in soon.

Do we truly think they were going for eSports appeal though? Or was that more a bit of marketing, because suddenly every game is trying to be the next Counter Strike now? I mean, I know they repeatedly expressed their desire for it to be a spectator game, but reading your thoughts makes me question how much effort they really allocated towards that goal.

I understand that having 10,000 stats doesn't make a game more immediately appealing *Battlefield 2 online flashbacks* to the layman, and the actual eSports crowd might not be THAT big... Smash Bros Melee did this pretty well I think, they had a million stats but they were either buried in submenus for those who care about it, or they would scroll past really quickly at the end of a match. That was a decent balance of the 2, imo.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on purchasing this game, BUT I did find a copy to rent at my local Family Video, so I have a few impressions:

I'm having an unexpectedly hard time getting through the Grand Prix.  In fact, i can only get to round 2, trying a handful of different characters.  I'm not sure if I'm being too aggressive, but the CPU is just ragdolling me - pivoting and punching when I try to get a grab, grabbing me when I've guarded. 

Online is a mixed bag (only been able to play party mode, so far), I still think the matches beyond the 1v1 are a complete clusterfuck that turns too frantic to be fun, and have usually resulted in me being doubled teamed.  I haven't gotten a chance to play any of the sports games.  When I DO get a one-on-one, my W/L ratio is probably .500, but I have to fight myself from getting frantic in a lot of matches.

Control input wise, I don't like the pro controller layout choices they made, so that's out.  The motion control works well enough, but I don't necessarily get the curves in my punches I always expect when making a punching motion. 

I've got a few more days on this rental, but I don't really see my impressions improving much on this.  Sad, because I was hoping Nintendo made something here that I could really grasp onto, especially given Capcom's falterings lately with their fighters.  I think this'll be a pass for me.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
Do we truly think they were going for eSports appeal though? Or was that more a bit of marketing, because suddenly every game is trying to be the next Counter Strike now? I mean, I know they repeatedly expressed their desire for it to be a spectator game, but reading your thoughts makes me question how much effort they really allocated towards that goal.

I understand that having 10,000 stats doesn't make a game more immediately appealing *Battlefield 2 online flashbacks* to the layman, and the actual eSports crowd might not be THAT big... Smash Bros Melee did this pretty well I think, they had a million stats but they were either buried in submenus for those who care about it, or they would scroll past really quickly at the end of a match. That was a decent balance of the 2, imo.

I am totally convinced the esports angle was a marketing ploy. There's no real understand of what it takes to make a game truly esports-ready.

I only want stats for ranked mode, which I believe should have already had it from the start. It's part of what I would use to set goals and try and get better at the game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
I really wish there were an option in this game to let me block with a button. I find myself not doing it much because of the annoyance of clicking the stick. Why can't I set it so B is block if I only want to punch with ZL and ZR?

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
I find myself not using R and L at all, so being able to map to those buttons would be great too.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
On the Pro Controller? Those are the buttons assigned for the rush ability which is pretty important.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
You don't need both for that, though. Honestly, having L for block and R for rush might be even better than having it on B.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
I wish I could re-map so many things. I'd definitely move block to one of the shoulder buttons. I'd probably move jump to b because I feel I can work dash/jump with the y/b combination better.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »
On the Pro Controller? Those are the buttons assigned for the rush ability which is pretty important.

Oh, ****.  I forgot about that.  You know, the last two times I played, I totally spaced on how to activate the rush thing.  I just sit there like, "I know it's something. . .".

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
Just use motion controls, people!!! I don't have a Switch nor have I played ARMS so I have no idea if motion controls would actually work smoother.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
Tried motion controls. Moving was total garbage. Went back to the Pro Controller.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Motion controls could be fun in a local multiplayer setting, where you're both hampered by the inability to move around.  But for online it's the pits.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:13 AM »
ARMS has been updated to Version 2.0 as promised by Nintendo!

Here is the changelog, as posted via NeoGAF!

Changelog:

•ARMS League Commissioner Max Brass added as a playable character.

•New ARM “Nade” added.

•New ARM “Roaster” added.

•New ARM “Kablammer” added.

•New stage “Sky Arena” added.

•New versus mode “Hedlok Scramble” added. ◦Punch or touch the capsule containing the
Hedlok mask to become Hedlok for a period of time. This can be selected in Versus, Friend, or Local and it will also appear in Party Match.

•”Stats” added to the Top Menu. ◦Check stats such as your most used fighter, best stage, and ARM accuracy.

•”Events” added to the Top Menu. ◦Here you can set whether or not you want to join official online events.

•Snake Park has been swapped out for Sky Arena in the Ranked Match stage roster.

•Raised highest rank in Ranked Match to 20.

•Increased the penalty for disconnecting during Ranked Match play.

•Shortened the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being extended, making them easier to use: Megaton, Megawatt, Revolver, Retorcher, Boomerang

•Increased movement speed of the Guardian.

•Improved visibility during charge attacks for the Popper and Cracker.

•Increased the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being knocked down, increasing risk: Popper, Cracker, Hydra

•Increased the amount of time it takes to recover when a grab is deflected with a single punch.

•Decreased the amount of damage when the Hydra’s rush connects with multiple consecutive hits.

•Decreased the distance Kid Cobra travels when jumping.

•Fixed issue where in some instances Ribbon Girl could remain airborne for an overlong period of time while continually attacking.

•Fixed issue where Ninjara would not destroy the light boxes on the Ribbon Ring stage when getting up.

•Fixed issue where the time necessary for the Triblast to return when deflected was shortened.

•Fixed issue where ARMS such as Blorb and Megaton would catch on the ground and fail to fire.

•Fixed issue where explosive ARMS would sometimes fail to explode when receiving an attack.

•Fixed issue where the Slapamander would sometimes fail to hit Helix when he is extended.

•In online play, fixed issue where the appearance or non-appearance of items could differ between devices.

•In online play, fixed various issues with V-Ball including an issue where the ball would remain grounded and play would not proceed.

•In online play, fixed an issue where sometimes Barq would continually defend against an opponents’ rush attack for a set period of time.

•In online play, fixed issue where sometimes pillars in the Scrapyard would not be destructible.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
I know nobody cares about this game, but Ver.3 dropped custom control schemes, emblems, and a new Grand Prix miniboss.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I want to be more into ARMS, but once Splat2n dropped I just always felt there was a better (or at least more interesting) game I could be playing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
I actually came back to the game recently because of the custom controls. Just a few posts up in this thread I was wishing you could map block to a button instead of clicking the stick, and now I can.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
This game seriously needs a real demo. I just got a Switch, & I'm curious about Arms, but I don't want to spend $60 on it without trying it first. As it stands, only the people who bought a Switch at launch had a chance to try Arms.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
Hopefully, they will wind up another test punch.

But, yeah, a demo would be ideal.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2017, 10:35:25 PM »
By the end of 2017, ARMS will have sold 1.5 million copies, added five new fighters to its roster, added customizable controls, a party crash mode, badge achievements, a ranked battle mode, and various training options.

If you are looking for a new fighting game to sink time into, ARMS shows no signs of slowing down.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
By the end of 2017, ARMS will have sold 1.5 million copies, added five new fighters to its roster, added customizable controls, a party crash mode, badge achievements, a ranked battle mode, and various training options.

If you are looking for a new fighting game to sink time into, ARMS shows no signs of slowing down.

That's pretty cool actually. You don't hear much about these updates though. I wonder if the "slow rollout" model they adopted from Splatoon just isn't as successful this time around given the Switch's success. On Wii U there was little competition, so those updates always became newsworthy (see also new Smash fighters). Could be backfiring a bit for them this time? ARMS was kind of written off as content-light.

How's the online for it now? Still populated?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »
For all you unwashed heathens, ARMS 5.1 launched this evening, adding Tournament Mode, which unlocks all weapons for all characters!

Why is this important? Well, previous ARMS tournaments were mostly played online by people who had sunk a significant amount of time into the game and unlocked all the weapons. This allows tournament organizers the ability to have multiple setups for a large number of players to set up brackets for multiple matches. This is a HUGE step for the game to start being featured at more competitions, as there has been a debate of "customs vs. defaults" within the community for some time now. Essentially, playing with default ARMS only allowed newcomers the opportunity to refine their skills on each fighter's presets, while customs allowed long-term players the ability to show off their acquired weaponry, which is obtained through a skillshot minigame that requires in-game currency. Tournament Mode allows players to experiment with all types of weapons, but doesn't allow them to boost their ranking online- its essentially the most legitimate "practice mode" the game has.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
So would it be possible to run a community tournament? Cause I'd be totally into that.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
Reminder for all you cheapskates who don’t like fun: you can play ARMS online for free this weekend.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
My 2 cents. Arms is awesome. I play it more than any other Switch game. You can do it just fine without motion controls. I can't, I suck at it but my nephew picked it up and he blew through one after another.

I am tempted to buy him his own Switch but his dad just got him a PSP.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
Not in love with it, but not ready to trade it in yet either. My main gripe is when opponents get into that 45 degree sweet spot where they're able to attack me while I whiff everything until they knock/throw me down & I get back up to face them again.

Guess I still need more practice & maybe a change in button layout to really get into this game.
Mission...complete?