Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663791 times)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2700 on: December 06, 2016, 02:27:11 AM »
Nintendo's numbers put The Wind Waker HD at two million units sold. Putting aside the fact that it came out on a console that only sold 13 million units, Miyamoto said Breath of the Wild would supposedly recoup its costs if it surpassed the two million units sold mark. Considering all the time and the resources that have gone into Breath of the Wild over the past five years, I'd say two million units sold for a game that was mostly just an HD remaster is pretty darn good if that's truly their benchmark.

Twilight Princess HD seems to have fallen well short of The Wind Waker HD, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that there are close to six million Wii discs of that game out in the wild. It probably would have done a lot better if Twilight Princess was a GameCube game only.

Among the other candidates, Super Smash Bros. Melee HD would easily be a hit if they left the game intact. The competitive Melee scene is only continuing to grow, even fifteen years later, and I think it's safe to say that Melee is considered the best game in the series by most casual fans as well. Super Mario Sunshine HD is another obvious one. Given how big Fire Emblem has gotten in the West, Path of Radiance seems like a good candidate (though adding the additional modes many new fans have come to expect would probably be a non-insignificant amount of work). I think there are a fair number of GameCube games that could do well as HD remasters or remakes and Nintendo probably has considered them.

Personally, I'd much rather have a GameCube Virtual Console though. I don't think the odds are "good" given how the Wii Virtual Console has gone, but it would at least give us a non-zero chance of games like Skies of Arcadia, Super Monkey Ball 2, and the Baten Kaitos games showing up on the service.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: December 06, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
Looks like a Switch Accessory Pack got listed w/ a USB-C cable as part of the combo
http://nintendoeverything.com/first-switch-accessories-appear-at-eb-games-australia-system-may-use-usb-c-charging/

I like that Nintendo is being very progressive here. Possibly utilizing new technologies in a beneficial forward thinking way

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: December 06, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
Among the other candidates, Super Smash Bros. Melee HD would easily be a hit if they left the game intact. The competitive Melee scene is only continuing to grow, even fifteen years later, and I think it's safe to say that Melee is considered the best game in the series by most casual fans as well.

Only it's not at all.  Most casual fans play Smash Bros for the characters in which is why the most recent Smash Bros is always their most favorite.  The competitive fighting community makes up a very small percent of Smash Bros audience which is why even when the competitive part of the fanbase was crying over Brawl, everyone else was eating the game up.  Of course since the most recent Smash Bros isn't anti-tournament like Brawl even the competitive part of the Smash Bros fanbase is pretty split about Smash Bros For Wii U and Melee this time around which gives Nintendo even less incentive to appeal to the Melee fans when many of them even prefer the newest game this time.

This is why outside of an eventual Gamecube Virtual Console release at some point, a Melee HD will never happen since each new Smash Bros makes the previous obsolete to the majority of the gaming community.  This is why Nintendo never releases Mario Kart remasters since it's the same situation where the newest installment keeps surpassing what most people love about the franchise.

Given how big Fire Emblem has gotten in the West, Path of Radiance seems like a good candidate (though adding the additional modes many new fans have come to expect would probably be a non-insignificant amount of work).

Now this I can see happening.  Path and Dawn of Radiance are both very popular among traditional fanbase who would be very likely to buy a remaster, especially since the Switch will be a handheld as well so both games can do much better in Japan this time unlike their original release where the home console release hurt them over there.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: December 06, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »
Of course since the most recent Smash Bros isn't anti-tournament like Brawl even the competitive part of the Smash Bros fanbase is pretty split about Smash Bros For Wii U and Melee this time around which gives Nintendo even less incentive to appeal to the Melee fans when many of them even prefer the newest game this time.

It's more accurate to say that Smash 4 inherited the competitive Brawl fanbase (which, small as it is, did exist) and gained an impressive amount of new fans in a hurry than it is to say that many competitive Melee fans even prefer the newest game this time. Even though Smash 4 is much more tournament-friendly than Brawl, there's still very little crossover appeal between Melee and Smash 4 at that level (which is why there was less than a 16% overlap between entrants at EVO this year and most fans of one game don't even bother watching the other most of the time). Melee has also continued on an upward trend in entrants and viewership even after Smash 4 was released. I don't think there's much evidence to suggest that a lot of Melee fans switched preferences.

Point taken on casual fans though (which I do count myself as). Most of my gaming friends and acquaintances would still say Melee is their favorite, but that's anecdotal. Maybe you're right and most other casual fans who have been with the series from the beginning just consider each new entry their favorite.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2704 on: December 06, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
Looks like a Switch Accessory Pack got listed w/ a USB-C cable as part of the combo
http://nintendoeverything.com/first-switch-accessories-appear-at-eb-games-australia-system-may-use-usb-c-charging/

I like that Nintendo is being very progressive here. Possibly utilizing new technologies in a beneficial forward thinking way

I hope this means fast-charging.  But I do get nervous since the cheaper cables have been known to make things more. . .explode-y.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 06, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
So From Software is considering porting Dark Souls to Switch.

I wonder what ridiculous exclusive title Nintendo is funding them to put on the console.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

I wonder what ridiculous exclusive title Nintendo is funding them to put on the console.
Metroid Prime: Federation Party featuring Chibi Samus.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 06, 2016, 05:57:42 PM »

Darkey Kong: Droppical Bleed.

(Or maybe Lost Kingdoms 3?)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: December 06, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »

Metroid Prime: Federation Party featuring Chibi Samus.

Buying slightly different colored Federation Trooper Amiibo allows you to play on different gameboards / maps as you collect Chozo artifacts to win the game and be declared the Bounty Hunter Superstar!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: December 06, 2016, 06:29:35 PM »
Seriously though, the Wonderful 101/Bayonetta 2/Star Fox Zero relationship with Platinum seemed to work out for them, I'd expect them to want to take it one step further with other Japanese devs. The downside of Platinum is that their games are relatively niche. From Software has a broader audience.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
A dark souls trilogy would be very sweet, i wouldn't mind double dipping souls 3 if i have the ability to play the other 2 which i haven't played.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 06, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »
LPVG put out some other interesting rumors about Switch today as well:

Hey all, it has been a while.

We have recently learned through a source at Nintendo connected to the organisation of an upcoming hands on press event that the Nintendo Switch Dock does increase the performance of the handheld, but not due to any additional processing in the dock.

When the system is connected to the dock by USB-C, the system’s components will run at a higher clock speed to facilitate 1080p resolutions on the TV. Both video and power will be transfered over USB-C when docked. Plugging the system into the dock will also activate a small additional fan to help with cooling when run at that higher clock speed. This fan is in the rear of the dock, and there is a gap in the back of the dock to allow the system’s inbuilt fans to vent when docked.

The dock is incredibly light weight and, while it does play a part in increasing system performance on the TV, it is designed to be cheap to produce. The intention is that some time after launch additional docks will be sold to place in differing rooms if you have multiple TVs.

Nintendo’s January 13th 2017 reveal events will feature near retail level hardware. Each title will be locked to playing one game demo, but press will be free to take the systems to a separate area of the event to play on sofas rather than the TV. When returning to TVs, they will not be required to return the system to the same dock it started at.

The event will be held in a large number of small sessions, each with a minimal number of press in attendance to ensure hardware is kept track of. UK Press are required to RSVP for the event by 11:59PM December 8th 2016. The location of the reveal event has not been made known to press. Let’s Play Video Games were not amongst the outlets invited to this event. They did not respond to our request for an invite to the event when we learned invites had been sent out.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/12/report-nintendo-switch-dock-increases-performance-not-via-extra-hardware/

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:27 PM »
A dark souls trilogy would be very sweet, i wouldn't mind double dipping souls 3 if i have the ability to play the other 2 which i haven't played.

I only just bought the complete DS2 and have yet to start it so I'll be more than happy if a full trilogy gets announced for Switch.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: December 06, 2016, 08:16:44 PM »

I only just bought the complete DS2 and have yet to start it so I'll be more than happy if a full trilogy gets announced for Switch.

I really enjoyed 3 specially the dungeons and artstyle
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: December 06, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
Once again, a third party game will feature a Samus costume because Nintendo.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2715 on: December 06, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
According to Liam Robertson (Unseen64 contributor, broke the Devil's Third stuff, etc) the Switch will have GameCube VC despite its entire purpose being completed with re-releases of Skies of Arcadia Legends and Baten Kaitos Origins.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 06, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »
As long as we get F-Zero GX.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 06, 2016, 11:01:27 PM »
The Metroid, Pikmin, and Zelda games on the platform all got superior versions to the original GameCube ones, but there's still some good stuff to be had there. Though honestly, one big one in Super Mario Sunshine could really use a remaster instead of a VC release to smooth over some of the more egregious flaws.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 06, 2016, 11:09:44 PM »
THQ Nordic is working on two games for the Switch. Me thinks it's a port of the first Darksiders and a remaster of some obscure Gamecube/PS2 era game.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2719 on: December 06, 2016, 11:15:27 PM »
I think if they added an radar or something to help find the Blue Coins that would be nice. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 06, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »
I think if they added an radar or something to help find the Blue Coins that would be nice. 

Or better yet, got rid of the blue coins and made actual levels for those shines. Super Mario 64 DS added 30 stars to the game, so just do something like that, but instead of inflating the number replace those. Do that and improve the camera and I'd absolutely buy that package.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2721 on: December 06, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »

Or better yet, got rid of the blue coins and made actual levels for those shines. Super Mario 64 DS added 30 stars to the game, so just do something like that, but instead of inflating the number replace those. Do that and improve the camera and I'd absolutely buy that package.

I would agree to that.  I never found all the blue coins.  They were so frustrating it was impossible to map out.  There are some aspects of Super Mario Sunshine, that make it one of the better Mario games, but other aspects that make it awfully frustrating.  I don't think I want a remake...I would rather have a new game that keeps the mechanics that work and gets rid of the mechanics that don't.  Here are the things I would like kept:

1) Hover Mechanic for pinpoint accuracy with jumps
2) Mini challenge stages to get stars pushing the limit of your platforming skills
3) The Tight Rope walking and jumping...and basically open world with focus on vertical exploration
4) Sliding down walls and wall jumping

The things that didn't work:
1) The water gun mechanic mixed with limited water...was not enjoyable
2) The Race the clock to complete a task...with no idea where to go or where to look.  Worse when you also have to use the water gun...and run out of water.
3) The story.
4) Finally the limited environments. 
5) The Over World Hub to the other actual levels was clunky and not very enjoyable or easy to maneuver to the next level.

All in all, Super Mario Sunshine took everything that was in Super Mario 64 that was fun and made it better and perfect...but then they added features that actually hurt the design and made it worse.  Super Mario Sunshine always excelled when the game felt more like a souped up Mario 64, and failed when it started moving away and doing its own thing. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »
So what's the Rumored/Official games list?

Zelda BOTW
Mario Switch
Pikmin 4
Splatoon
Smash Bros.
Dark Souls Trilogy
Pokemon Stars
Skyrim Remastered
Mario Kart
NBA 2k
Mario/Rabbids RPG

Am I missing any?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:17 AM »

The problem with that is Nintendo would rather use any new level idea's for a new 3D Mario then put into an HD remaster.  Mario 64 DS was kind of an unique situation where the game had to be a standout title for launch of the DS since the system was rushed out and had nothing else for months and the visuals/controls were a blatant downgrade over the N64 original so Nintendo needed something to make up for it and get people's attention.

The only way I see Nintendo putting that much work into a Sunshine remaster is if they were in a really desperate situation and needed that game to be a big hit because it was released during the middle of a huge drought.  Of course if the Switch is having huge droughts and need filler like that Nintendo would probably be more likely to just remaster Galaxy 1+2 instead since both games were more popular, and could easily be remastered without any major changes unlike Sunshine which needs a lot more work.

I would agree to that.  I never found all the blue coins.  They were so frustrating it was impossible to map out.  There are some aspects of Super Mario Sunshine, that make it one of the better Mario games, but other aspects that make it awfully frustrating.  I don't think I want a remake...I would rather have a new game that keeps the mechanics that work and gets rid of the mechanics that don't.  Here are the things I would like kept:

1) Hover Mechanic for pinpoint accuracy with jumps
2) Mini challenge stages to get stars pushing the limit of your platforming skills
3) The Tight Rope walking and jumping...and basically open world with focus on vertical exploration
4) Sliding down walls and wall jumping

The things that didn't work:
1) The water gun mechanic mixed with limited water...was not enjoyable
2) The Race the clock to complete a task...with no idea where to go or where to look.  Worse when you also have to use the water gun...and run out of water.
3) The story.
4) Finally the limited environments. 
5) The Over World Hub to the other actual levels was clunky and not very enjoyable or easy to maneuver to the next level.

All in all, Super Mario Sunshine took everything that was in Super Mario 64 that was fun and made it better and perfect...but then they added features that actually hurt the design and made it worse.  Super Mario Sunshine always excelled when the game felt more like a souped up Mario 64, and failed when it started moving away and doing its own thing. 

Yeah this is why I just don't see Nintendo being willing to do a full HD remaster for Sunshine since the game has too many problems with some of them requiring a complete overall to fix.  They would basically have to remake the game from the ground up to make it even come close to the quality of the other 3D Mario games and I imagine Nintendo would rather spend that money on actual new Mario games instead since these remasters are usually limited to the original fans that bought them, while a new game brings in a much wider audience.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2724 on: December 07, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
THQ Nordic is working on two games for the Switch. Me thinks it's a port of the first Darksiders and a remaster of some obscure Gamecube/PS2 era game.

Sphinx the Cursed Mummy obscure enough?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.