Author Topic: Nintendo Stock Drops After E3 Presentations  (Read 14498 times)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Stock Drops After E3 Presentations
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
Based on the recent performance of nearly every tech stock I own (in some form or another), I must surmise that they all had bad presentations over the last three weeks or so.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
Funny how we though Iwata was saying Nintendo learned its lesson with 3DS MEANING
they needed to keep the price down and have a killer line up.
 What they apparently learned was "We need to have a New super mario game at launch".
 That will be enough.
Not buying this holiday. humm, goodbye 3rd party support.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
Should we start taking bets on if the Wii U ends up being like the 3DS in that it fails to sell and then Nintendo is forced to slash the price after only a few months and then they launch a "Wii U Ambassador" program and give a bunch of virtual console games to those who had just paid full price for their Wii U? Because I can see that potentially happening.
is your sanity...

Offline 0-Watt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Third Rate Minion
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
@NintendoFanboy:

3DS launched with Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, and Nintendogs+Cats.  It also was 250 for a handheld.
Wii U looks like it will launch with NSMBU, Nintendo Land (possibly a pack-in), P-100, Wii Fit U, and Pikmin 3 (or close to launch).

The lineup is much better.  Heck, the Wii launched with Zelda, Excite Truck, and Wii Sports.  I'd even go and say that the Wii U launch is better than the Wii's.

They kept bigger 2013 games close to the chest, despite our desires for them to release them.  Even 3DS games they showed stayed within 2012.  This is more secretive of Nintendo than ever before, and that's odd.

@Chozo Ghost.

It won't fail at 3DS levels.  It launches with a New Super Mario Bros. game among other things.  The 3DS didn't get its first original major Nintendo release until months after launch.
The Co-Founder and MinionZero from Third Rate Minion! >=3

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
stockholders are usually informed of announcements before they occur.
No, it doesn't work like that. Insider trading and all that.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline pandaradox

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 01:01:46 PM »
I don't think most investors watch the E3 conference.  They watch reactions.  The press is definitely saturated with reports and hungry for any rumors or tidbits they can find.  The result is that everyone saw a lot of Nintendo's stuff coming and this is true for Microsoft and Sony as well.  It's hard to maintain a lot of secrecy and, because of that, E3 has transformed to for-the-gamers with an investor-oriented facade.  The investors are judging sellability on the reactions of a rather calloused population.  It's the unfortunate state of the industry reaching critical mass. 

I think on marketing, Nintendo will be selling this stuff successfully and has the most to tap into a casual gamer keg as they already have a foothold.  Microsoft is trying to get a slice because Sony is winning out the core gamer.  As for good content, Sony put out what their following wanted to see.  Nintendo does Blue Ocean: Introducing that new generation of gamer to a nice transition to more core experiences.  This is the Super Nintendo of Wii.  It's just being viewed through an updated lens.  It's a delicate situation where Nintendo can't abandon the cash cow but needs third-party support.  The result is the rather middle of the road conference. 

With all that being said: Nintendo probably knows the stock would drop and a 30 cent drop is nothing significant given that they were near $40 early last year and this is probably one of the better outcomes from the conference.  Some investors hopped on to take advantage of the low share price and are just as likely to jump ship at the first breath of negativity.  Nintendo Endures.  Remember, it's always the first to break through a wall that gets the bloodiest. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:04:21 PM by pandaradox »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »
E3 is the big videogame industry event so for Nintendo to not be so into E3 just doesn't make sense.  Why not show your stuff at the big industry event where everyone is expected to show their stuff?  What do you gain by bucking the trend in this case?  This is the time to show your stuff.  And then you call THREE conferences to show less stuff than normal?  What sort of weirdo logic is that?

Whether Nintendo likes it or not, this was the Wii U's coming out party.  This was when everyone was paying attention and Nintendo blew it.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
I don't think most investors watch the E3 conference.  They watch reactions.
After the conference, analysts swarm the place to gauge reactions and there's an analyst conference the next day. That's the more traditional method of investors getting info.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline pandaradox

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
That's still based on a media that's already calloused though.  It's hard to be surprised.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »
One good thing outta the e3 lack luster reaction might be a lower price point.
But then Its got a NEW SUPER MARIO game in the launch window, so that will sell 25 million NS6 units?
FROM HERE FORWARD I WILL REFER to the W**# as NS6. i will never again utter that
rediculous name.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:04 AM »
Nintendo showed Mario U and Pikmin 3 which most of you will buy. They let 3rd parties show off their games in full force and we got a few exclusives. How does Nintendo not care about you(me included) loser hard core gamers?

If these are the launch and launch window games this is fantastic! I never in my life thought I would want so many 3rd party titles all at once.

Dark Siders 2, AC3, Aliens, Trine, Rayman, Mass Effect 3, ZombiU, Batman, Tekken Tag and that P-100 game! How is all that not exciting? Or a great hint that Nintendo is moving in the preferred direction? Not all of these games are out yet either, at least 2 are exclusive and so far we know the best versions of AC3, Aliens, and Ninja Gaiden will be on Wii U.

Just because the franchises that you wan't aren't shown don't mean they do not exist. We know new IP's are being made and we know Nintendo's core franchises are in the works. Isn't the general consensus on these boards that Nintendo needs to make new IP's anyway? Yet everyone is complaining there is no Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda or F-Zero shown.  Some of you have no brains what so ever, just ignorant mutha fletchers who have gotten what they want but it's never enough.   
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:59 AM »
Dark Siders 2, AC3, Aliens, Trine, Rayman, Mass Effect 3, ZombiU, Batman, Tekken Tag and that P-100 game! How is all that not exciting?

They're not exciting because they're known quantities, and Nintendo has never really established a reason why I'd want to play them on Wii U.  10 million people (myself included) already bought Batman last year; Mass Effect 3 will mean even less than it already does on Wii U without the previous games in the series (there is seriously no reason for anyone to buy that version of the game); and I already played Trine 2 to death last year as well.  If they're new to you, great.  But if you cared about those games, it's extremely likely that you already bought and invested an unhealthy amount of time into them.

As for the others, it's a a mixture of "I don't care about that genre" and "why would I want to play these on Wii U when I can already play them on platforms I already own?"

Nintendo's big failure this E3 is that they never made their case for the Wii U as the definitive gaming experience for anything multi-platform.  I've been waiting for Nintendo to truly prove the GamePad as a must-have, experience-redefining device since they announced the Wii U.  Instead, they've shown exactly what I thought it'd be: the same gimmicky, unnecessary map/status screens that were common on the DS and 3DS.  And until they show how the Wii U versions are truly "definitive", its' hard to get excited over ports.

so far we know the best versions of AC3, Aliens, and Ninja Gaiden will be on Wii U.

...Some of you have no brains what so ever, just ignorant mutha fletchers who have gotten what they want but it's never enough.

Naturally, you've played all the various versions of these games, including the Wii U version, so you could have an informed opinion.  Otherwise, that would make you quite the "ignorant mutha fletcher".

We know new IP's are being made...

And "we know" this because...Science?  Magic?  A predestination paradox?  Seriously, how do you know that "new IPs" are being made?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:22:35 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:05 AM »
If we take the rumor that Retro's game was supposed to be there but cut at the last second for not being ready yet as the truth, that makes it pretty likely, at least the way I see it, that they're working on a new IP. If they were doing Zelda or Star Fox it would have been easy to put together a trailer to get people excited and not worry about whether it was ready to be shown; hell, that seems to be standard operating procedure for Nintendo with Zelda. The fact that they were hesitant to show it makes it seem like they're doing something different that they want to make a good first impression with. Of course, that's a ton of speculation based on something that may not even be true.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »
Dark Siders 2, AC3, Aliens, Trine, Rayman, Mass Effect 3, ZombiU, Batman, Tekken Tag and that P-100 game! How is all that not exciting?

They're not exciting because they're known quantities, and Nintendo has never really established a reason why I'd want to play them on Wii U.  10 million people (myself included) already bought Batman last year; Mass Effect 3 will mean even less than it already does on Wii U without the previous games in the series (there is seriously no reason for anyone to buy that version of the game); and I already played Trine 2 to death last year as well.  If they're new to you, great.  But if you cared about those games, it's extremely likely that you already bought and invested an unhealthy amount of time into them.

As for the others, it's a a mixture of "I don't care about that genre" and "why would I want to play these on Wii U when I can already play them on platforms I already own?"

Nintendo's big failure this E3 is that they never made their case for the Wii U as the definitive gaming experience for anything multi-platform.  I've been waiting for Nintendo to truly prove the GamePad as a must-have, experience-redefining device since they announced the Wii U.  Instead, they've shown exactly what I thought it'd be: the same gimmicky, unnecessary map/status screens that were common on the DS and 3DS.  And until they show how the Wii U versions are truly "definitive", its' hard to get excited over ports.

so far we know the best versions of AC3, Aliens, and Ninja Gaiden will be on Wii U.

...Some of you have no brains what so ever, just ignorant mutha fletchers who have gotten what they want but it's never enough.

Naturally, you've played all the various versions of these games, including the Wii U version, so you could have an informed opinion.  Otherwise, that would make you quite the "ignorant mutha fletcher".

We know new IP's are being made and we know Nintendo's core franchises are in the works.

And "we know" this because...Science?  Magic?  A predestination paradox?  Seriously, how do you know that "new IPs" are being made?

You are right about no real surprises this E3 i'll give you that. But again, according to many people here, if it didn't show up at E3 it basically doesn't exist. If these are the launch window games let them get the lime light, it's an awesome launch. If you already have access to these games good for you, stick with what you've got. You don't want Pikmin and Rayman right away or at all, fine. Surprise or not they are brand new exclusives for Wii U, and people like me who are Nintendo only will scoop those 2 up along with the ports that have already been released on other systems. Nintendo gave so much attention to 3rd parties during there conference and what they had to show on the show floor, if that isn't a sign of change I don't know what is.

And though you don't care about the genres, Wii U still has the exclusive ZombiU, Rayman, and P-100. That is something and being at the very start of Nintendo's new generation I expected nothing but ports what so ever. The final dev kit's just came out like a week before or maybe during E3, I don't doubt more ground up Wii U games are being made from 3rd parties.

As for Miyamoto, we've read in several interviews that he is working on something new. It's no longer a matter of if but when. The best article I can find is this one down below, which doesn't specifically say new IP so it could just be an existing franchise. There are more like this that have popped up this year saying there are multiple new IP's he is working on.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/06/miyamoto-designing-a-new-game-but-itll-be-a-while/

As for the "better" versions of the games I listed, I'm going by developer interviews who claim as such with the Upads convenience of use within gameplay along with sharper graphics because of the superior hardware. I only played a AC3 to compare, talked directly to the source about aliens, and if Ninja Gaiden adds more gore and is being worked on by Nintendo as well it will be a better game by default.

Regarding the gimmicks, I guess you just have to play with the control to get the idea. The Nintendo land games  and that panorama viewing demo are the best example of the possibilities for full fledged titles. That isometric gameplay is a big deal to me and co-op games are going to get such a huge boost from that.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »
I'm actually quite interested in Rayman Legends, but I thought that was a multiplatform release?  If it isn't, Ubisoft is throwing away quite a bit of money considering they ported Rayman Origins to just about everything.

And devs can talk-up their Wii U ports all they like, but that's all it is: PR spin.  The proof is in the final product, and considering how many bad PS3 ports devs have put out over the years I'm skeptical the Wii U ports will be any better.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
I'm actually quite interested in Rayman Legends, but I thought that was a multiplatform release?  If it isn't, Ubisoft is throwing away quite a bit of money considering they ported Rayman Origins to just about everything.

Not really since Origins wasn't that big of a seller.  Ubisoft said it was profitable but the fact they didn't give numbers means the sales weren't that hot.  Making this one Wii U exclusive and a launch game will help to ensure it gets a lot more attention this time then Origins did which should result in bigger sales.

If Ubisofts Wii launch games like Raving Rabbids and Red Steel were million sellers because of exclusive hype, they're hoping Rayman Legends will do the same thing. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:05 AM »
The world stock market as a whole is extremely fickle right now; it would be a mistake to read too much into the falling and rising of stock over a period of a few days.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost