Poll

Which of these Choice Provisions games have you played?

BIT.TRIP BEAT
1 (6.3%)
BIT.TRIP CORE
1 (6.3%)
BIT.TRIP VOID
1 (6.3%)
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
2 (12.5%)
BIT.TRIP FATE
1 (6.3%)
BIT.TRIP FLUX
1 (6.3%)
Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
2 (12.5%)
Runner3
2 (12.5%)
Bubsy: Paws on Fire
1 (6.3%)
I am the Runner of this Developer
0 (0%)
I have not bit tripped yet
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Run[ner] the Developer 3: Choice Provisions  (Read 12143 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Run[ner] the Developer 3: Choice Provisions
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:09:10 PM »
Run the Developer - is where we look at a specific game development studio's work on Nintendo systems and discuss our experiences with their games. In this second installment we turn our gaze to

Choice Provisions - is based out of California, US and probably known best for the BIT.TRIP series and the Runner games. After the success of Runner2 they absorbed Robotube and started publishing their titles as Minivisions. They have also published games for Neon Diety and Different Cloth and developed a couple of games for non-tendo but we will focus on the games developed by Choice Provisions and available on Nintendo systems in the list below. Check out their website for more details https://totallychoice.com/.

Games by Choice Provisions

BIT.TRIP Series

There are six BIT.TRIP games (Beat, Core, Void, Runner, Fate, and Flux) that were released as WiiWare from 2009-2011. The games feature a retro 8-bit aesthetic with short focused gameplay. The games were repackaged and sold at retail in 2011 for Wii (BIT.TRIP Complete) and 3DS (BIT.TRIP Saga). More recently (2020) the games were made available on the Switch e-Shop

Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

When it came time for a follow up to the BIT.TRIP series Choice Provisions chose to make a sequel to RUNNER. The game released on Wii U in 2013 and we critically and commercially successful. The game is expected to be put on the Switch e-Shop in the near future.

Runner3

Released in 2018 as a Switch exclusive, the game received mixed reviews. A patch was later released to address some of the problems reviewers mentioned.

Bubsy: Paws on Fire

The 2019 release from Choice is another auto-runner, this time with the licensed characters of the Bubsy franchise. The game recycled a lot of assets from Runner 3 without letting up on the difficulty.

Comments
What system did you play the Bit.Trip games on?
Do you want more Runner games or something else?
Can they turn things around after Bubsy?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Run[ner] the Developer 3: Choice Provisions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
Which degenerate here played Bubsy and voted for it!?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »
I'm guessing Pokepal voted for it as a joke.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 12:20:03 AM »
Which degenerate here played Bubsy and voted for it!?

That was me  :-[
I heard the bad reviews but I also heard similar complaints about Runner3 and I really enjoyed that. So I picked it up when it was on sale. Keep in mind the poll just asks if you played the game, not if you would recommend it to others.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
Suggesting a minor name change:

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »
Suggesting a minor name change:

;D LOL, I would totally do that but I have actually been unable to change my profile name or picture lately. I am not sure if it is a problem on my end or not.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »
Huh. I did not know that Bubsy: Paws on Fire was made by the same people behind the Runner series. That actually changes my dismissive opinion about Bubsy: Paws on Fire to wondering if it actually would have some quality to it.

I heard the bad reviews but I also heard similar complaints about Runner3 and I really enjoyed that. So I picked it up when it was on sale. Keep in mind the poll just asks if you played the game, not if you would recommend it to others.

Well, would you recommend it to others?

;D LOL, I would totally do that but I have actually been unable to change my profile name or picture lately. I am not sure if it is a problem on my end or not.

Not sure what would be preventing you from changing your avatar or name but can do it for you to if you need the assistance.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »
As for myself, I have not Bit Tripped yet. I did acquire the 3DS Bit Trip collection about two years ago as the interest has always been there. I also purchased Runner 3 on the eShop because the price was slashed down so much and I'd become curious about the series after the praise Runner 2 got on these forums. I played the first couple levels to try it out and it is something I'll want to return to at some point. At the time, I was playing other stuff and wanted to keep my focus on them instead of getting distracted by this new purchase. Have yet to return to it though. Kind of forgot about it until now.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
Well, would you recommend it to others?

I would provided you A. Enjoyed Runner3 and B. Got the game on sale. Both of these were true for me. I got the limited edition for under $25 with shipping and tax. 

Pros: Great music, responsive controls, multiple play-styles, short duration (7.5 hours to complete)
Cons: frustrating to 100%, re-used assets makes it kind of repetitive, characters are kind of annoying, overly difficult with the precision required for some jumps.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 07:55:17 PM »
I have played all of them. Runner 2 is the best game in the series.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »
As someone who played through a substantial amount of Bit.Trip Runner on 3DS and played, but wasn’t thrilled by any of the other Bit.Trip games, it makes sense to me that the developer would focus primarily on Runner-esque games moving forward. That they chose to update the visual aesthetics so that they both a) look atrocious and nauseating AND b) make the action very hard to follow doesn’t make sense, however.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.