Poll

Which game should we play and discuss together on an upcoming Radio Free Nintendo podcast? (Note: All of these are available on Wii Virtual Console.)

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (Turbo CD)
17 (20.2%)
Ys Book I&II (Turbo CD)
23 (27.4%)
Pulseman (Genesis)
9 (10.7%)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
20 (23.8%)
StarTropics 2: Zoda's Revenge (NES)
15 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: February 28, 2013, 02:19:03 AM

Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #26 Poll  (Read 15432 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RFN RetroActive #26 Poll
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »
Special thanks to everyone who posted suggestions in the RetroActive Nominations thread. Most of these selections came from over there. There's no particular theme this time, just a bunch of interesting games that are widely accessible. Feel free to ask questions, discuss the games, or recommend your favorites below.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Re: RFN RetroActive #26 Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:20 AM »
On one hand, castlevania; on the other, one of most entertaining co op games in the snes. Guess the fact that one is already on my Wii is asgood a tiebreaker as any.
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »
Pretty much. Then again, my blind GameFreak bias just kicked in.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »
Rondo of Blood would fit in nice with the upcoming Castlevania release for 3DS.  A good compare and contrast of the series old and new.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
Nice set of games to pick from.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
I voted for Y's because that's the only game I haven't already played before. I hear it's a very interesting series.

Pulseman is...ok.

Rondo of blood is...difficult (but very good).

Zombies ate my Neighbors (or Zombies in Europe) is fun playing multiplayer, but I wouldn't recommend playing it alone.

I don't remember much about Startropics 2 beyond the fact that it was in the vein of Zelda.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:38:18 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Rondo of blood is...difficult (but very good).

Really?  I didn't find if that difficult. Well, at least not compared to other Castlevania games back in the day.

In short, this game seemed like everything I wanted the original castlevania to be. Better graphics and music, branching paths, lots of weapons, special moves, hidden bosses and a secret character...  Having this game easily (and affordably!) available from the Wii Shop was one of my favorite moments of last generation.

Zombies ate my Neighbors (or Zombies in Europe) is fun playing multiplayer, but I wouldn't recommend playing it alone.

Totally agree. I still like this game quite a bit, but it's a bit shallow unless you have a buddy to work through the levels with. Also found it to be much tougher to beat than Rondo of Blood.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
Well, let's be honest, the original Castlevania trilogy ain't no cakewalk either.

I did beat Rondo of Blood when it was released on VC, but I did find it very challenging (not necessarily in a bad way). I remember the Death boss fight being particularly hard. Who knows though? Maybe I just suck at Castlevania.
Gouge away.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
I reluctantly went with Zombies Ate My Neighbors, because at least with that game we might get to hear James and Jonny swear due to the game's difficulty. Honestly, I really didn't like any of these games as RetroActive material. Rondo of Blood; Ys; and Pulseman have all been discussed on RFN before, and I don't care about StarTropics 2.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:04:13 PM »
The original Ys has been discussed? Seven and The Oath in Felghana are fairly different from the Turbo CD game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »
The original Ys has been discussed? Seven and The Oath in Felghana are fairly different from the Turbo CD game.

Jonny played the Turbo CD Ys 1&2 for RFN quite a while ago. It's where I first heard about the series.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
Jonny may have played it, but I haven't. It's all about the community man, you know?  :P: :

I think I might pick up Ys I & II at some point regardless of whether or not it wins, but retroactives always make it more fun. I think they prompt me to actually consider what it is that I do and don't like about a given game, rather than just consuming it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:29:56 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Azlam Orlandu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
Y's being released on Steam today makes this a no-brainer for me. I had a TurboGrafix back in the day, but if I remember correctly Y's was only on Turbo CD and I never got my hands on it.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
I think both Dracula X: Rondo of Blood and Zombies Ate My Neighbors are fantastic games, and as much as I love those games, sometimes spectacular games don't always spark good discussion. 

I find my favorite retroactives are ones in which the game is good but has certain flaws that can cause a contentious discussion upon. 

Pulseman at a first glance looks like a faster-paced Megaman style game, Ys seems like an RPG, and Startropics 2 looks to be a Zelda-esque title.

I'm torn....

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »

I find my favorite retroactives are ones in which the game is good but has certain flaws that can cause a contentious discussion upon. 

Same here. I think that's why my favourite Retroactives have been Metroid II and Ogre Battle 64.
Gouge away.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »
I would've voted for Ys if I didn't indulge in the steam sale a while back and burn myself out on Oath In Falgana and one of the other games that ended up being amazingly cheap. Those are fun discussions. Dracula X should be an interesting conversation. I hope it isn't Zombies because I tried it a year or so back and it severely doesn't hold up.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
Intriguing selections in this poll. I really didn't like Dracula X (RFN is to blame for my regretful "I'll give it a chance" purchase, actually). I recall Zombies Ate My Neighbors as being a fairly flimsy game, but I probably didn't give it a fair chance back in the day. Pulseman and Star Tropics 2 are both flawed but enjoyable games--perfect for RetroActive.

That said, I voted for Ys I & II. I've never played any games in the series and have been meaning to get around to this release on VC. Of course, since I voted for it, there's no way it will win now :)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »
I really didn't like Dracula X (RFN is to blame for my regretful "I'll give it a chance" purchase, actually).

What didn't you like about it?

*I played Rondo of Blood some earlier today. I know that's cheating, but I really wanted to listen to some amazing music and you don't get more amazing than Castlevania. Such a good game.
Gouge away.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
I voted for StarTropics 2 since it's the only one I have.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
I voted for StarTropics 2 since it's the only one I have.

That seems like a reason not to vote for it.
Gouge away.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
Why would that be the case?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
Because why would you replay a game when you could try a new one?
Gouge away.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
Because I like the game and am curious what others have to say.

Besides, the only other game listed for a system I own is too expensive, and it's one I did play back in the day and recall not liking it (Zombies Ate My Neighbors).

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »
Because I like the game and am curious what others have to say.

You should have said that then. Voting for a game because it's good and because you're interested to hear other people's opinons of it is not the same as voting for it because it's the only game you have.  :P: :

Gouge away.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
That said, I voted for Ys I & II. I've never played any games in the series and have been meaning to get around to this release on VC. Of course, since I voted for it, there's no way it will win now :)

I dunno, RPGs tend to overperform in these polls.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.