Author Topic: Place your bets on Feb 17th Megatons!  (Read 7042 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Place your bets on Feb 17th Megatons!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »
Were your predictions things you were hoping for, or just expecting?
For me this didn't really whiff, but I can understand that reaction if you were hoping for BOTW 2, Bayo 3, and Pikmin 4. Sadly I think the latter of those won't happen until a Switch successor appears; Pikmin 3 Deluxe filled that slot. Similarly, I think Yoshi's Woolly World's port to 3DS unfortunately means it won't be on Switch anytime soon while 3DS games are still on shelves.  :(

Well, my HOPES for the Direct were more absurd than my expectations, which are what I posted. I did really want to see Woolly World on Switch, though. It's the rare Yoshi game that really clicked with me.

I just saw a lot of ports of old games (yes, yes...ironic...yes), a lot of remasters of old games ,or games that played like old games. Then it all capped off with a remaster of the worst Zelda game following a bait & switch with Breath of the Wild 2.

Let's just say that this Direct peaked with the Xenoblade characters in Smash announcement and it was all downhill from there.

For the Splatoon fans here, are y'all excited for a new one next year? The trailer made think it would be a spin-off initially, but unless it's a big overhaul I don't really see the point (besides money). That team has a crazy turn-around though: Splatoon (2015), Splatoon 2 (2017), Octo Expansion (2018), Splatoon 3 (2022).

Eh...not really? I'm not real big into Splatoon multiplayer, and if we're getting another sequel that's MP-focused where the player has no choice in what MP they get to play...I'm just not all that hyped. "Splatoon, but MORE" was the selling point of the 2nd game, so if that's also the case for the 3rd game it's one I can wait on. I expect it to be a Switch 2 launch game anyway with that nebulous 2022 release date. I was hoping there'd be a lot more SP after the excellent Octo Expansion the 2nd game got and the moody trailer we just saw for the 3rd game. But no...it just seems to be more Splatoon, same as the last Splatoon.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 08:59:03 PM »
Well, my HOPES for the Direct were more absurd than my expectations, which are what I posted. I did really want to see Woolly World on Switch, though. It's the rare Yoshi game that really clicked with me.

I just saw a lot of ports of old games (yes, yes...ironic...yes), a lot of remasters of old games ,or games that played like old games. Then it all capped off with a remaster of the worst Zelda game following a bait & switch with Breath of the Wild 2.

Let's just say that this Direct peaked with the Xenoblade characters in Smash announcement and it was all downhill from there.

Yeah, Woolly World was pretty good so it's a bummer the sequel is seemingly less accomplished. Wonder if they'll make another one for Switch 2, or port Woolly World instead. Maybe the response if they ported it now would be "more Wii U ports ugh" though haha.

My expectations for today were way lower, so in that regard they were exceeded. Lots of RPGs and anime things for fans of those. I think we're now truly beginning to see what a number COVID will have done on Nintendo's first party. Their strategy was already port-heavy, and now they're doubling down on that to get product lined up.
Those Famicom Detective games were initially announced as Japan-only for example and then pushed (for localizing, turns out). So to also see them wheel out Miitopia now makes me think 2021 will again see several  ports (although that's a 3DS game... so maybe Woolly World stands a chance after all).

Lucky for them Switch has a few tentpole releases already announced this year (Monster Hunter Rise, Fall Guys, and SMT 5 for the RPG crowd) so it's less obvious. Personally I don't mind ports, since it makes things available to new audiences (Outer Wilds for me in this case!), and there's more games out than ever anyway.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 09:48:26 PM »
Has anyone actually seen Ian and broodwars in the same room?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:38 PM »
Has anyone actually seen Ian and broodwars in the same room?

Dead Men Tell No Tales, Bob.  ;)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him around in a while, though.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 10:00:49 PM »
Maybe they finally assimilated eachother. Broodwars has seemed a bit more... Ian Sane lately.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 10:01:28 PM »
Maybe they finally assimilated eachother. Broodwars has seemed a bit more... Ian Sane lately.

"I Am Thou. Thou Art I."  :P

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:35 PM »
For the Splatoon fans here, are y'all excited for a new one next year? The trailer made think it would be a spin-off initially, but unless it's a big overhaul I don't really see the point (besides money). That team has a crazy turn-around though: Splatoon (2015), Splatoon 2 (2017), Octo Expansion (2018), Splatoon 3 (2022).

Eh...not really? I'm not real big into Splatoon multiplayer, and if we're getting another sequel that's MP-focused where the player has no choice in what MP they get to play...I'm just not all that hyped. "Splatoon, but MORE" was the selling point of the 2nd game, so if that's also the case for the 3rd game it's one I can wait on. I expect it to be a Switch 2 launch game anyway with that nebulous 2022 release date. I was hoping there'd be a lot more SP after the excellent Octo Expansion the 2nd game got and the moody trailer we just saw for the 3rd game. But no...it just seems to be more Splatoon, same as the last Splatoon.

Yeah, I think more than just being Splatoon 3, I am personally of the belief that this telegraphs the "Switch 2" is coming in 2022. Since Splatoon 3 so far just seems to be "Splatoon 2, but more", the best significant selling point I'd see for it would be a completely new platform to debut on. I'm actually thinking it could be a cross-gen game on both the Switch and Switch 2, but with unified online.

With BoTW not confirmed at all for 2021, and Splatoon 3 explicitly targeting 2022, next year is shaping up to have a lot of the original Switch's launch IPs in place. Now we just need a Mario Kart 9 and 3D Mario forecast for that time period and it'd be eerily similar to the Switch's own launch year.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »
Time to get your bets in for the Nintendo Direct Megaton on 2021!

ZELDA
Mention of Zelda's 35th to pick up where Mario's ends, including some game announcements.
4 Swords Anniversary Edition will re-release on Switch.
New trailer and info for Breath of the Wild 2.

DLC plans announced for Age of Calamity.
3D Zelda games released not as an All-Stars collection (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword)
We get a DS Zelda Collection instead.

?We'll get another Direct down the road that is Zelda themed to cover more details.

MARIO
New Mario Party Announced. New Mario Odyssey/3D sequel announced.
Plan to rerelease Galaxy 2 either as an add-on for 3D All-Stars or stand alone.

Mario Golf Announced.

OTHER
Something Fire Emblem related is announced. Maybe a new Warriors game.
Another Wii U port is announced.
Something racing game related announced. Either DLC for Mario Kart 8 or Home Circuit (new racers for that?) or a different racing game like F-Zero or Excite Truck or Diddy Kong Racing.
Ports of Pikmin 1 & 2 with a reveal that Pikmin 4 is coming.
Fighter Pass expanded again in Smash
Pokemon announcement that is both shocking an unsurprising. Details will be lacking until a future Pokemon related Direct

Whelp, I was on the nose about the Mario Golf idea. Also got the Age of Calamity DLC, but was that ever really doubted?

Surprised with how there was nothing on the FE front.

Overall it was not a direct for me. It just felt like all of the missing stuff we were supposed to get last year but delayed due to COVID.

The AC stuff seems nice but not enough to really pull me back in just yet. I'm REALLY burned out on that game but may rejoin and time travel to catch the Jan/Feb/Mar events and content, but aside from the fact warp pipes serve a gameplay purpose it's all just "more items". I'm worried they aren't going to be adding new legitimate features (buildings, gameplay hooks like swimming, substantive NPCs, and new actual collections like the bugs and fish). Other than the quarantine effect there is a lot lacking from ACNH that I and other have forgiven because of the promise of being added down the road. I'll be really disappointed if we just get new seasonal items from time-to-time for the next year.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2021, 07:01:46 PM »
That Snorlax-big energy of mostly focusing on Nintendo's first half of the Fiscal Year Ending in March 31st, 2022.

Pyra/Mythra in Smash Ultimate and the Famicom Detective Club remakes coming over are two unconditional wins for me. Excited and anxious for Project Triangle Strategy, Mario Golf Super Rush, and Splatoon 3.

I was satisfied with this long Direct, but looking over the big list of announcements... I can sympathize with this show's detractors. So many ports, remakes, remasters, and seemingly unremarkable fluff in this blast of commercials.

Not that Nintendo really cares on any bruised feelings from this Direct, but maybe they wrongly thought Skyward Sword HD and Splatoon 3 would be bigger splashes? I don't know if we should be so critical of a presentation of video game trailers, but maybe having a proof-of-life from Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 would've went a long way so that more people felt better with the 50 minutes they spent.