Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Not a hater but... (future prediction)

<< < (3/56) > >>

NWR_insanolord:
If it's as easy to port to as we've heard, the bar of how much those ports need to sell to be worth it is going to be substantially lower than it was on Wii U, and if Nintendo gives it the strong push it needs to sell well early on the higher user base than Wii U had will prompt publishers to give it more chances. That's a lot of ifs, and I'm not totally convinced they'll be able to hit them myself, but I think there are valid reasons to be optimistic that they'll do better this time.

Agent-X-:

--- Quote from: Miyamoto on December 04, 2016, 04:27:27 PM ---

--- Quote from: Adrock on December 04, 2016, 03:08:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on December 04, 2016, 07:17:30 AM ---The Switch has already fixed most of the Wii U's biggest problem, (name, design, marketing and first year game lineup)
--- End quote ---
though some rumors put it near Xbox One in terms of performance

--- End quote ---

So Nintendo's new console is less powerful than something that's been out for four years. Why does this seem familiar? The Switch lacks the hardware or library to compete with PS 4 /Xbox one in the home, and as for the portable aspect, sure, we all own 3DSs and probably still play them quite regularly (I do, currently play M & L Dream Team) but this is a Nintendo-centric message board. The portable console market is evaporating and is being quickly replaced with mobile phones. The Switch is a niche product and will sell well to a niche audience (us) but niche doesn't sell in the multiples of tens of millions. I honestly think that 15 million might be generous.

--- End quote ---

Mind share is currently strongly going in the Switch's favor. I've been surprised most by who is talking about the Switch. FYI: Everyone saw Nintendo's teaser trailer, and people are honestly talking about it whenever the topic of games comes up. I don't just mean in a little circle of gamers but out in public and around the office (I work for a cloud technology company). The talk while not universally glowing shows interest exists, and people are genuinely interested in it as a portable they can play on their TV.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Switch for the same reasons you're listing. However, the vibe I'm getting is not totally unlike the one the Wii had. This device has got sales potential.

Another factor I think should be considered is that since the Wii U tanked so badly, a lot of gamers turned to purchasing the other console to go with their initial console pick up (ie. bought a PS4 and then bought an XB1, and bought an XB1 so bought a PS4 later). The thing I'm hearing now is that these multi-console owners are saying they're likely to sell one of their consoles and get a Switch. As someone else on here had pointed out before, the NS has tremendous opportunity to be the "and console" to everyone else's PS4 and XB1 primary purchases. I am now coming around on this belief because most hardcore gamers don't want to miss out on Nintendo's stable of games. They're just waiting for Nintendo to re-enter their market with something that doesn't feel like a huge gimmick.

ThePerm:

--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on December 04, 2016, 07:17:30 AM ---The Switch has already fixed most of the Wii U's biggest problem, (name, design, marketing and first year game lineup)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

So Nintendo's new console is less powerful than something that's been out for four years. Why does this seem familiar? The Switch lacks the hardware or library to compete with PS3 /Xbox one in the home, and as for the portable aspect, sure, we all own 3DSs and probably still play them quite regularly (I do, currently play M & L Dream Team) but this is a Nintendo-centric message board. The portable console market is evaporating and is being quickly replaced with mobile phones. The Switch is a niche product and will sell well to a niche audience (us) but niche doesn't sell in the multiples of tens of millions. I honestly think that 15 million might be generous.

--- End quote ---

No, Nintendo has never released specs for the Switch. We don't know if it's weaker or more powerful. We know it will be more powerful than Wii U, which in some ways was better than ps4 and xbox 360, and in some ways more powerful. Based on the processor line, Switch is likely to have more advanced processors than either xbox one or ps4. The amount of ram is a question though. Xbox One is $249 right now and has 8gb of RAM. The Switch is going to have a screen, so that could make the cost more, however it is likely to have a generic screen, which could bring the cost down, The switch will not have an optical drive, and that will bring the cost down.

The Shield is the best thing to compare it to. The shield is/was nvidia's product that came in handheld, console, and tablet form. Right now the Shield Tablet costs $199. Switch is likely going to be very similar to the Shield hardware wise, but likely much more powerful because Shield Tablet is 2 years old now.

Adrock:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
So Nintendo's new console is less powerful than something that's been out for four years. Why does this seem familiar? The Switch lacks the hardware or library to compete with PS 4 /Xbox one in the home, and as for the portable aspect, sure, we all own 3DSs and probably still play them quite regularly (I do, currently play M & L Dream Team) but this is a Nintendo-centric message board. The portable console market is evaporating and is being quickly replaced with mobile phones. The Switch is a niche product and will sell well to a niche audience (us) but niche doesn't sell in the multiples of tens of millions. I honestly think that 15 million might be generous.
--- End quote ---
That's some pretty egregious selective quoting there. If that's how you're going about this discussion, count me out.

ThePerm:

--- Quote from: Miyamoto on December 04, 2016, 07:23:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on December 04, 2016, 07:17:30 AM ---third party support sound better at least right now then it was with the Wii U where you had some third parties outright saying they wouldn't support the Wii U and sent it's dev kits back to Nintendo without even looking at them.

--- End quote ---

Which third parties?

--- End quote ---

There is no confirmed list of games, but many of these franchises were either on nVidia Shield or were on Wii U, Wii, and 3ds.

Bethesda Skyrim and Fallout, also owns ID software who make the Doom series
Take-Two GTA, Red Dead, NBA
Square-Enix - Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts
Konami - Metal Gear, Castlevania, silent hill (but mostly pachinko games because the executives went batshit)
Capcom - Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mega Man, Dead Rising
Ubisoft -Assassins Creed, Beyond Good and Evil, Rayman, Prince of Persia
Koei-Tecmo - Dynasty Warriors, Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden
Sega - Sonic, Virtual Fighter, House of the Dead, Shenmue(likely exclusive to ps4)
Bandai Namco - Tekken,Soul Calibur
WB - Mortal Kombat, Batman/Arkham games
EA - Madden, Battlefield, Star Wars
Activision- Call of Duty

I'm pretty optimistic about many of these games coming to Switch that wouldn't normally be on Nintendo platforms. nVidia was able to get many of these games on Shield. A few of these on the official list have stayed the hell away from Nintendo platforms, seeing them on board is a positive sign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version