Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359667 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #775 on: April 07, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
Ha ha ha! That's a couple of the traditional Akkala welcomes for you. Enjoy your stay in the region.

The biscuit is supposed to give you a temporary extra wheel of stamina.

The old doctor is just into all kinds of things. Men, women, machines... it's best to keep your distance from him....
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 07, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
I got all the shrines and beat the game last weekend, and I am so thankful that the designers went in such a different direction.  They definitely were not worried about sticking to the old conventions and wanted to make it their own.  With that said, I do have a lot of mild critiques, which I hope to see addressed in the next iteration.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 07, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
I think the way to handle weapon degradation in the future would be to make it a little more specific. Wooden weapons such as clubs make sense to break easily, but how about metal weapons such as swords and axes get dull? They don't break but their attack goes from 24 down to something like two.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 08, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
I think the way to handle weapon degradation in the future would be to make it a little more specific. Wooden weapons such as clubs make sense to break easily, but how about metal weapons such as swords and axes get dull? They don't break but their attack goes from 24 down to something like two.

I'd love to see a more thoughtful crafting system, especially around weapon repair. I would consider something along the lines of your suggestion where a damaged weapon deals degraded damage. However, I would keep the risk of destruction--if you continue to use a damaged weapon, you may lose it forever.

BotW would benefit from more crafting since the earlier parts of the game trend towards survival.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 08, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
I completed my first Divine Beast. I wanted to get the Master a sword first before tackling much of the main story, but I couldn't deal with all the goddamn rain in Zora's Domain. For a game that encourages you to go anywhere, its weather effects that don't do too much sure are limiting as far as exploration. I would understand making climbing more difficult (e.g. use more stamina) or even requiring special gear. Being unable to climb at all is just silliness. A good amount of the world is completely inaccessible when it rains which is 107% of the time in The Legend of Rain: Breath of the Rain.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:51:32 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #780 on: April 08, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
Finally defeated Gannon. 100 Shrines done, all four beasts, all memories restored.

That was about as far as I wanted to play before "finishing" the game, but I will go back and upgrade gear and complete all the shrines.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 08, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »
You can make five movements before slipping, and I've found four climbs and one lunge cover distance just fine in rain.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 08, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »
I completed my first Divine Beast. I wanted to get the Master a sword first before tackling much of the main story, but I couldn't deal with all the goddamn rain in Zora's Domain. For a game that encourages you to go anywhere, its weather effects that don't do too much sure are limiting as far as exploration. I would understand making climbing more difficult (e.g. use more stamina) or even requiring special gear. Being unable to climb at all is just silliness. A good amount of the world is completely inaccessible when it rains which is 107% of the time in The Legend of Rain: Breath of the Rain.

LOL

It's not that bad. Listen to Evan_B's advice. This is how I coped with the rain as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 08, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »
You can make five movements before slipping, and I've found four climbs and one lunge cover distance just fine in rain.
That works sometimes, particularly when higher ground can help when planning to attack an enemy camp. Some of the Korok seeds involving climbing a high thing. Sure, I can come back later, but I'm already at the thing I need to climb. I guess I don't really understand why Nintendo even programmed the rain to fall so frequently. Some animals (or more accurately "materials" to turn into elixirs) are more common and merchants apparently sell different things in the rain. I still don't think that balances out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 09, 2017, 02:42:30 AM »
Got my second divine beast beat.  Goron this time.  That was WAY easier than the Zora one.  I guess the Master Sword makes a difference as I didn't even use a fairy on the boss and only fed myself once (and then beat him two seconds later so it was a waste of good food).  I found the dungeon a lot easier as well as the puzzles were not as tricky.

Accessed a tower that I had gone by earlier but felt was too difficult to climb.  My strategy wasn't very good here, I just scaled up the tower a lot quicker because I have more stamina now.  I have two full circles now and climbing is a lot more fun as I have a lot of wiggle room to make lunges and get up quicker.  I have three towers left.

And I defeated my first walking Guardian as well using the shield deflect... and then got hit hard by a stationary one afterwards.  My timing on the deflect is inconsistent as I can get in the zone for a little bit and then just completely lose it.

I got some more memories as well, passed 60 shrines so I'm halfway through those though I only have 90ish Korok Seeds and there apparently is 900!  No way I'm going to 100% those.  Not really worth it I figure.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 09, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
I guess I don't really understand why Nintendo even programmed the rain to fall so frequently. Some animals (or more accurately "materials" to turn into elixirs) are more common and merchants apparently sell different things in the rain. I still don't think that balances out.

It's the biggest FU from the game designers, and shows a total lack of respect for the player's time. I hate when games do that. I was on my way to a shrine when it just started to spit rain. Didn't even see much in the way of clouds that would signal a rain shower. I was basically stuck in place until the shower passed. So I just put my controller down and started answering text messages. BotW is extremely lucky that it has built up so much goodwill over the time I've played it. I've dropped lesser games for trying to pull **** like that.

Except you're wasting way more stamina doing that than just climbing normally. You're covering less distance and using more stamina. It doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:44:36 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 09, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
If you climb five times, you'll slip just as far as one lunge. A lunge causes you to slip immediately, but you don't lose all of the distance you gained, therefore, four climbs and a lunge actually equates to a lot more distance than just lunging or just climbing. Like many other parts of the game, rain is something you have to learn to navigate efficiently. It's definitely made a lot easier with the two-star set of climbing gear, but there's also this great system called cooking that allows you to make stamina-recovery items for this exact sort of circumstance. If you're not taking advantage of that, or the outcroppings of rock that allow you to build fires and wait out the weather, you are just complaining about a game that gives you plenty of options to subvert its obstacles.

Just go hang out in Hebra or Gerudo for a bit.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
I guess I don't really understand why Nintendo even programmed the rain to fall so frequently. Some animals (or more accurately "materials" to turn into elixirs) are more common and merchants apparently sell different things in the rain. I still don't think that balances out.

It's the biggest FU from the game designers, and shows a total lack of respect for the player's time. I hate when games do that. I was on my way to a shrine when it just started to spit rain. Didn't even see much in the way of clouds that would signal a rain shower. I was basically stuck in place until the shower passed. So I just put my controller down and started answering text messages. BotW is extremely lucky that it has built up so much goodwill over the time I've played it. I've dropped lesser games for trying to pull **** like that.

Except you're wasting way more stamina doing that than just climbing normally. You're covering less distance and using more stamina. It doesn't add up.

I understand your opinion of the rain, but I don't share it. Some may see it as an unnecessary nuisance, but I find it to be an important aspect of the game. If they were to make it easier, I think that would defeat the purpose of the rain. The rain is there for multiple purposes, of course, and one of those is building a narrative about the reality of the game's world. This is where BotW does it possibly better than anyone else has ever done it before. I mean, water runs down surfaces. Puddles form. Low areas fill up with water only when it's raining. It's immersive.

Regarding the effects on climbing, I like that it pushes you to adapt your play. Just like thunderstorms will often force you to lower your armor and attack rating to avoid getting struck, rain reduces your options for where you can go, how you can flee, or whether you can even get away from a strong monster or climb out of that canyon or hole you just jumped into. It's certainly gotten me a few times, and then in some cases I've learned to just face that monster head on or maybe stick around in that hole a bit longer to see what I can discover--that has paid off tremendously at times.

If BotW has taught me anything it's that being flexible is important. I also learn to get rid of my assumptions about the world. There's a lot to do in a small space, and even if 90% of the secrets are koroks  you can sleep well at night just knowing that you've made Hyrule a little safer by exposing that thing.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 10, 2017, 02:36:37 AM »
Where is that Rito guy? I was told he was training at the Flight Path but there is no one there at all. Is he like up on a cliff or something? I'm ready for my 3rd Divine Beast!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 10, 2017, 02:56:53 AM »
Where is that Rito guy? I was told he was training at the Flight Path but there is no one there at all. Is he like up on a cliff or something? I'm ready for my 3rd Divine Beast!

If I recall he is in a tree house around the Flight Path area. Been awhile though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 10, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »
Thanks! I realized I had not talked to his wife to trigger him actually being there. Everyone else told me to go to the flight path but it was only after talking to his wife that the mission became real.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 10, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
and now, presented without context

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 10, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
This is what was meant to happen.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
I didn't mind the rain as much as some, especially after getting the full climbing gear. I do agree it rains a bit too often for what it does, though. Unless I'm missing something, I also think there should be some item or equipment that lessens or negates the effect of rain. They put in one for lightning strikes, so I don't see why not.

I've been saying Gerudo with a soft g, and finding out it's a hard g was pretty jarring.
I think it was Khushrenada who mentioned a while back that the nice thing about the voice acting is that it confirms how to pronounce some of the names. I've been getting most of them correct, but not Lanayru. And oddly enough, I've been saying "Zelda" wrong this whole time.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
I didn't mind the rain as much as some, especially after getting the full climbing gear. I do agree it rains a bit too often for what it does, though. Unless I'm missing something, I also think there should be some item or equipment that lessens or negates the effect of rain. They put in one for lightning strikes, so I don't see why not.

I've been saying Gerudo with a soft g, and finding out it's a hard g was pretty jarring.
I think it was Khushrenada who mentioned a while back that the nice thing about the voice acting is that it confirms how to pronounce some of the names. I've been getting most of them correct, but not Lanayru. And oddly enough, I've been saying "Zelda" wrong this whole time.

:Q  Have you not heard people say the name of any of the games, including Nintendo reps? That's wild!  ;D
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2017, 02:33:19 PM »

How were you pronouncing it?  Zeel-dah?  Zell-day? :)

The Zelda cartoon would have confirmed the pronunciation for me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
I was being facetious. I guess that doesn't come off well in writing though...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2017, 03:11:34 PM »
I was being facetious. I guess that doesn't come off well in writing though...

I knew it was a joke and I liked it. I was going to say that you were pronouncing it the Canadian way of Zed-elda but now you've confirmed it was a joke.

It was indeed me who mentioned that the voice acting helped me learn what the actual pronunciation of some of these Zelda places. I mentioned it because funny enough it was Gerudo's hard G and Lanayru that I learned I had been saying wrong. The very things that you and Nickmitch were also surprised by. For myself, I was mixing up where the y in Lanayru was placed resulting in mangling that word. Hearing it spoken and looking at it closer, it makes sense how it is said. Just something my brain stored incorrectly and it took until now to correct it and straighten it out.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:40 PM »

Yeah that is my main issue with the rain, there should be some item or gear that mitigates it like the lightning it would provide a nice sense of progress as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
But there is an ability that bypasses rain!