Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359648 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Makes me wonder what's lurking around the 6 hour mark  :Q
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
You'll probably just be able to leave the Plateau?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
and find...  :Q
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
. . .inner peace?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Breath of the Wild got its first score and it's from EDGE Magazine. It is the magazine's 19th 10/10 scored game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Breath of the Wild got its first score and it's from EDGE Magazine. It is the magazine's 19th 10/10 scored game.

Even though I love it personally, it should be noted Skyward Sword was on that list of games they've given a 10/10, which I know is a bit more contentious with some people here.

Giant Bomb seemed pretty damn positive as well with their impressions on their Beastcast podcast.  I have no doubt this is going to be a review darling.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The only people that hate Skyward Sword are soulless heathens who hold every game to the same standard.

A 7/10 is, in my opinion, a game that delivers on what it attempts to achieve. In attempting to be a puzzle-based, timed action RPG, Pandora's Tower would get just about that score for me, however, it also makes achieving it's multiple alternate endings very easy, and has some interesting post-game content, as well as great aesthetics and lore. That bumps it up to about a 8/10 for me.

Skyward Sword delivered on being a full-length motion-centered title and atop that managed to have some of the greatest dungeon design in the series. The only real flaw I cite in the game the resetting inventory aspect. While the recycled Imprisoned battles exist, they each have different mechanics, so I don't really see the problem. I'd still give it a 9/10. It did what it wanted to do very well, and unless Breath of the Wild throws an unexpectedly amazing gameplay twists outside of its exploration loop, I'll likely give it that kind of score, as well.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
The only people that hate Skyward Sword are soulless heathens who hold every game to the same standard.

A 7/10 is, in my opinion, a game that delivers on what it attempts to achieve. In attempting to be a puzzle-based, timed action RPG, Pandora's Tower would get just about that score for me, however, it also makes achieving it's multiple alternate endings very easy, and has some interesting post-game content, as well as great aesthetics and lore. That bumps it up to about a 8/10 for me.

Skyward Sword delivered on being a full-length motion-centered title and atop that managed to have some of the greatest dungeon design in the series. The only real flaw I cite in the game the resetting inventory aspect. While the recycled Imprisoned battles exist, they each have different mechanics, so I don't really see the problem. I'd still give it a 9/10. It did what it wanted to do very well, and unless Breath of the Wild throws an unexpectedly amazing gameplay twists outside of its exploration loop, I'll likely give it that kind of score, as well.

As someone who is a defender of the game, there's the following problems to me:

Re-treading of the same few areas throughout the entire game.
Mindless collectable hunts in order to progress the story forward
A neat flying mechanic that felt woefully underutilized to me.
While it may not have been an issue to you, I personally felt the imprisoned battles were horribly redundant, and not altered in a meaningful way.
Horrible, horrible pacing issues due to the game needing to remind you what every item pickup is every time you pick it up.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I don't really remember the collectable hunts you speak of, unless you're talking about the Sacred Realm trials?

Again, I also don't feel that returning to an area is a bad thing. There were a number of interesting alterations of the gameplay, and the way those areas expand after being linear is pretty impressive.

But I'm not a soulless heathen, so what do I know.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
For me using the sword as a dowsing rod in 1st person to find the Kokiri folk in the forest killed my interest in the game. I never got past that part and quite possibly never will.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Out in the Wild (Switch/Wii U) March 3, already LEAKED so beware
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
So as a PSA, game files were able to be downloaded straight from Nintendo's servers. A lot of these are images of weapons, costumes, armor and other stuff. Now pretty much everything is online and if you search around YouTube you can even see a stream of the game. Everything so far appears to be from the Wii U version. You have been warned!!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Out in the Wild (Switch/Wii U) March 3, but already LEAKED so BEWARE
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »

And that's too low of a score, gol-darn-it! It should be an 11/10. When it comes to entertainment, this game gives 110%!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
So as a PSA, game files were able to be downloaded straight from Nintendo's servers. A lot of these are images of weapons, costumes, armor and other stuff. Now pretty much everything is online and if you search around YouTube you can even see a stream of the game. Everything so far appears to be from the Wii U version. You have been warned!!

Much appreciated!

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »

Much appreciated!

Let me add that it's pretty rotten of the folks trying to scoop this story and get these items up before release.  Prior to hearing about the leak, I was just looking around for some thumbs up/thumbs down type reviews (to get that good feeling when good reviews are pouring in for a game you are excited about) and saw an image show up in google's suggestions that were clearly from the leak and spoilers.  Now I'll be sure not to go digging for any Zelda news...

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »
For me using the sword as a dowsing rod in 1st person to find the Kokiri folk in the forest killed my interest in the game. I never got past that part and quite possibly never will.
You aren't missing much.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Here's an interesting nugget from Kotaku's Switch review regarding Zelda's performance on handheld vs docked.

Breath of the Wild looks and performs noticeably worse when plugged into the dock than it does in handheld mode, a potentially worrying indicator of how the Switch’s graphics processing hardware will hold up over time. When I play on the TV, I notice frequent dips below the game’s 30fps frame rate, sometimes to the point that it’s genuinely distracting and makes it harder to play. Any time I’m running in tree-shade on a sunny day in Hyrule, zooming in for a closer view, or moving quickly through the rain, it feels like things drop into at least the 20-25fps zone.

If I pop the console out of the dock and start playing in tablet mode, everything immediately runs more smoothly. The frame rate is solid in the same places (with a few exceptions), and the overall image is crisper. The disparity is likely because the Switch runs at 720p resolution in handheld mode and bumps up to a more demanding higher resolution (1080p in general, 900p in the case of Zelda) when plugged into the TV.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Better graphics, but a worse frame rate?  I wonder if this tradeoff will be a common thing or just a one-off due to not having enough optimization time.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Seems very similar to the PS4 Pro tradeoffs, which developers are slowly getting better at.  I hope it is just birthing pains with the Switch as well.

Offline Soren

• View Profile

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Possible spoilers based on speculation of the picture but based on the fact that it shows a deku leaf and bottle plus Link is blue like his BotW costume, my guess is that there might be a way to play the BotW in a 2D Style like the original Zelda or that it might be a type of map style in the game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
It's an early 2D prototype of the game so they could test out ideas and concepts.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
That is..quite an interesting way to test such a large game. Can't wait to hear more.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
The 2D #Zelda prototype we discussed earlier? It was actually 3D, running BotW’s physics and “chemistry” engine in the background! https://t.co/xouThXgwqb

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837027763068424196

Well my mind is blown. So it was to help them make sure all the items could interact with the overworld and have an important role in gameplay?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
lol looks like my prototype stuff.

There is some cool alternate link concept arts. I hope Nintendo has some massive DLC ideas.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/01/gdc-2017-breath-of-the-wild-team-built-2d-zelda-prototype-to-test-gameplay-abandoned-zelda-concepts-revealed?abthid=58b748e89e4a918b1f000013

We might get endless Zelda for the entire Switch lifespan.

Ganon wearing a metallica shirt?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:41:59 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post