Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359623 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Great trailer: towns, npcs, dogs, a bird rival, an air fortress and Zelda.

Also there is more stuff coming up later in the evening.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
NPCs fighting! That's huge, to me. Looks like they travel quite a bit, too. This world is becoming more and more alive. I thought it might just be a lonely excursion through the Hylian wilds, but there seems to be a bit of life to be found.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Nice trailer. Interesting stuff shown

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Will it finally be The Legend of ZELDA?

Can she be a bigger presence with the way final scene is edited, with Link kneeling and her making a fist?

Also the first hand-drawn part is gonna be the introduction with retelling the backstory of this particular world, like they did in Wind Waker and other games.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:55:19 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
That dog is going to die. :(
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Second trailer aired, more gameplay. Interesting character that seems more like an integrated hint system, than anything. Also impressed by the world variety- looks like a swampy, Aztec sort of environment. I wonder where it's placed on the map.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I love how it looks like there's actual challenge in this game.  Look at the amount of hearts those lizard enemies were taking from Link, that's what I like to see.  My number one issue with 3D Zelda's since Ocarina of Time is that they're way too damn easy.  Outside of a few instances, enemies aren't very aggressive allowing Link to literally run circles around them and they barely cause any damage if you do manage to get hit.

Now I still love the 3D Zelda games and all but it would be nice if there was some sense of danger in them.  Breath of the Wild looks to finally fix that since not only are enemies looking more aggressive, but there attacks actually mean something now as well.  Plus if the normal enemies are like this I can't wait to finally see what the main bosses will be like.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Look at the amount of hearts those lizard enemies were taking from Link, that's what I like to see. 

You will be able to carry a lot of food with you now instead of a few potions, so it makes sense.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Is this the second (gameplay) trailer?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:33:39 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Yes, it is.

I definitely like that survivalist concept everyone else seems to be noting- obviously, certain types of equipment will help lessen that damage, but having to hunt and make sure you're prepared for the journey ahead is a cool element that Zelda has been missing for a while- at least, in the games with Hero Mode as an unlockable. I played through Twilight Princess HD recently and I really enjoyed having to pick my potions before making a dangerous trek into new territory and dungeons, and I hope that remains here.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
Yes, it is.

I definitely like that survivalist concept everyone else seems to be noting- obviously, certain types of equipment will help lessen that damage, but having to hunt and make sure you're prepared for the journey ahead is a cool element that Zelda has been missing for a while- at least, in the games with Hero Mode as an unlockable. I played through Twilight Princess HD recently and I really enjoyed having to pick my potions before making a dangerous trek into new territory and dungeons, and I hope that remains here.

Yeah I hope they design the later area's of the game with the idea most players will have a lot of food and some of the best equipment by then which will allow them to really go crazy on the endgame enemies and bosses.  That's the thing that annoys me the most with the post NES Zelda games is if you actually explore the whole world you're basically invincible by the final dungeon. 

Now a lot of the time the exploration and side quests are really fun so I don't mind that much, but it would be nice to feel like all those reward you get in the game actually mean something by the end, instead of making already easy games a million times easier.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Anyone else notice the master sword?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Also, I'll say it again. This Zelda already has the best musical compositions. This last one was as superb as the first.

EDIT: It sounds incredibly close to Princess Mononoke's main theme. Looks like Nintendo isn't just stealing Ghibli's art style.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:47:24 AM by Stogi »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Triple post FTW

Link doesn't have his sheikah slate when he's equipped with the master sword. Was it stolen or is this before he receives it?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Another reason why January 12 can't come soon enough: so Nintendo stops using the clearly inferior Wii U version to show off this game.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Anyone else notice the master sword?

Had to go back a look for it, but yeah. Nice.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
I thought the new trailer was fantastic.  It was nice to see people and towns populating the landscape.  The only thing that worries me at this point is the lack of dungeons.  Has Nintendo confirmed that there will be traditional style dungeons in game?  Or, is it possible that the world is just full of those mini-dungeon "shrines"? 

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
I thought the new trailer was fantastic.  It was nice to see people and towns populating the landscape.  The only thing that worries me at this point is the lack of dungeons.  Has Nintendo confirmed that there will be traditional style dungeons in game?  Or, is it possible that the world is just full of those mini-dungeon "shrines"? 

Just going from what we know (and hasn't been confirmed), there are four pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle. Those pillars might designate how many dungeons there are.

That seems a bit too few. I'm pretty sure it'll follow the same formula as most Zeldas; meaning there are three preliminary dungeons that unlock the rest of the story and then five dungeons afterward.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
The number of shrines (rumored to be 100-120) gives the idea that there will only be four dungeons a bit more credence, and I've heard from other sources that the pillars around Hyrule Castle are directly linked to the dungeons, as well. However, I wouldn't be surprised if dungeons are much more expanse than in previous titles, partially because of the shrines being mini-dungeons themselves. If you're going to have this "okay, this dungeon is actually important" sort of feeling, those areas will probably be much more dense or challenging, which sounds very cool to me. I also wonder if they will require usage of all the different shrine abilities.

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
... gives the idea that there will only be four dungeons a bit more credence, and I've heard from other sources that the pillars around Hyrule Castle are directly linked to the dungeons, as well. However, I wouldn't be surprised if dungeons are much more expanse than in previous titles...

I think four expansive dungeons and 100 shrines would be great.  I like the idea that the difficulty of the dungeons might scale based on how many shrines you've completed (abilities gained).  Sure, you could go ahead and try to tackle all four of them right off the bat...but good luck.  You're going to need those shrine abilities to make things manageable.  Didn't Trinen make a comment along those lines during E3?

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Considering the Shrines don't all award new abilities (it would be insane if they did), but rather, their prizes do (as was the case with the paraglider), I think you'll be more prepared for specific types of challenges by completing shrines.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
I'd like it if the difficulty of the shrines were 'static' versus having the difficulty scale based on number completed. This sort of thing has always bugged me in RPGs, like in the Elder Scrolls games where certain creatures/monsters only spawn once you're a certain level. If shrine #32 holds a really good ability or item, then it should be a really difficult shrine to complete. If I go to #32 first, it shouldn't be a cakewalk that rewards me that special item.

I don't know... I just know that games that level up in difficulty as I level up bug me. Give me the dragons, frost trolls, and bad ass goblins from the first minute of playing. If I enter the wrong shrine and get torn limb from limb, awesome.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
If I recall correctly it didn't look like there were all that many "elemental' or whatever item slots, and the demo gave you access to quite a few. It wouldn't surprise me if the temples were technically doable with the base set you get on the plateau, with additional secrets and shortcuts available with optional abilities and items. A Link Between Worlds flirted with this.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
Aonuma himself already said being able to beat the final boss is possible from the beginning but wouldn't recommend it since it'll be very hard to do.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/15/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-can-be-beaten-without-finishing-the-story/

The difficulty is how I imagine Nintendo will guide players so they don't get too lost in the game.  Just like the original Zelda they'll be dungeons and shines that are clearly meant for newcomers to complete first while if you wonder too far away you'll be killed easily.  Of course everything will still be doable so if you're someone who's really good at action games you'll probably be able to beat the harder places early on just by your dodging skills alone while everyone else will be killed in 2 hits.  Just like how it's possible to beat certain hardcore action games on their highest difficulty settings without getting hit once, but the vast majority of people won't be able to do it.

Now we know the 4 shines in the Plateau are required to get the paraglider, because they give Link the key items he'll need but I doubt you'll get any other keys items after that if it's suppose to be possible to go straight to Ganon after that.  Any additional items like MagicCow64 said, will be used for additional secrets and shortcuts, but not requirement to complete the game unless Aonuma's comments were mistranslated.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Well, that's the beauty of the Plateau as a device, isn't it? By starting players in an open area, but telling them the drop will surely kill them, Nintendo ropes off a portion of the space to turn an open-world (ahem, open-air, sorry)and gives them a hugely beneficial toolset all at the same time: In order to get the device needed to help you descend, you must first get yourself equipped with bombs, magnesis, cryonis, and stasis. Only then are you given the opportunity to keep moving.

Here's the thing, though- do you think those are the only runes Link will get in the game? I don't, personally. While I don't think all 100 shrines will give Link new tools (in fact, I could see some of them actually limiting you to one or two types of runes), I do think there will be more runes to use, and that the "cycle" of conquering shrines to get a piece of very valuable equipment might be something Nintendo utilizes in Breath of the Wild. That's an extremely satisfying sort of loot cycle and I think it would be a great way to give players direction even when they aren't necessarily following the plot.