Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.  (Read 125472 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Life on Mira.
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
Wow. So far this is the the most amazing thing I've seen. Graphically quite impressive and looks to be a huge open world.

However, you can travel around in Robet Mechs ala Gundam Wing/Robotech. They can transform into tanks as well. But no announced date. Late 2014 most likely I think.

EDIT: Game launches Dec. 4, 2015 in North America!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:35:13 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: X. I guess it is the official name.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
This and Smash Bros. was the only thing I enjoyed.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
Yeah, it really looked like Xenogears with the hanger full of mechs.  Nintendo might as well have showed a 20 minute demo of this game in that Direct.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
The game still does not have an official name. It won't be "X".

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: X. That's what it is still being called.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
The game still does not have an official name. It won't be "X".

Good point. I've updated it. Though to be fair, Nintendo did release a game called X way back on the GameBoy I believe.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
If I'm Nintendo I'm paying some guy on Youtube right now to make a side by side comparison of this game, Titanfall and Destiny just to prove Wii U can do next-gen graphics just as good as XbonePS4.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
This is the only title Nintendo has demonstrated yet that has truly made me excited for the Wii U.  Perhaps that's fitting as Xenoblade stood out on the Wii as the one title that in retrospect I really am glad I got that system for.

There is ambition here and THAT is what impresses me.  Nintendo games have seriously lacked in ambition for the last several years.  They're very safe and conventional and mass-market and this seems daring in comparison.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
I too love the look of this game.  Just a damn shame I am not buying a console to play 1 game.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
It'll probably end up being call Xenolegend or something like that.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
I still can't figure out what this game's all about. I don't feel like anything new was shown over the announcement trailer way back when.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »
They can call it whatever the hell they want. Just don't call it delayed

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
This game pretty much confirms what I've been saying for years now, the gap in graphics between the Wii U and the Xbone/PS4 isn't going to be that big and hardly noticable to the average person.  The footage from the newest trailer easily stands up to the gameplay footage that was shown for those systems yesterday.

Pretty much shows how full of **** most third parties are when they say the Wii U isn't powerful enough to handle the games they're making.  This game easily blows away anything third parties developed for the 360/PS3 and rivals their current Xbone/PS4 games as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline paleselan

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 12:45:22 AM »
Honestly, it's the only game that has any chance of standing up to the PS4/One graphically.
Check out my NintendoNetwork64 Youtube channel and website:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoNetwork64
https://www.NN64.org

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »

Pretty much shows how full of **** most third parties are when they say the Wii U isn't powerful enough to handle the games they're making. 

Has anyone actually said that? The closest I recall is some engine developers (Epic et al.) saying their engines needed the extra oomph, but I don't recall off the top of my head any developers saying anything similar.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 01:11:41 AM »
This game pretty much confirms what I've been saying for years now, the gap in graphics between the Wii U and the Xbone/PS4 isn't going to be that big and hardly noticable to the average person.  The footage from the newest trailer easily stands up to the gameplay footage that was shown for those systems yesterday.

Pretty much shows how full of **** most third parties are when they say the Wii U isn't powerful enough to handle the games they're making.  This game easily blows away anything third parties developed for the 360/PS3 and rivals their current Xbone/PS4 games as well.

Look, I'm eagerly looking forward to "X" as much as everyone else here, especially as a big fan of Xenoblade, but X is not on the same level as some of the games shown yesterday.  X is certainly one gorgeous little game, but there's still a pretty noticeable technical gap between it and the next-gen console games. Just for the sake of argument, here are some gameplay videos for comparison. For the sake of being fair to the next-gen consoles, I picked two built-from-ground-up-for-PS4 games:

First off, X's trailer:

Then, Infamous Second Son's gameplay trailer:

Killzone: Shadow Fall's gameplay demo:

There's a pretty clear technical distinction there. That shouldn't be held against X. Monolith's obviously done very well with what Nintendo's given them, but I think it's a bit premature to say that X makes the leap between console generations look indistinguishable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:30 AM »
You do have to realize Broodwars that Luigi Dude said "to the average person".  We could tell the difference in those videos but the average person will not.  Hell the average person still can't tell a Blu ray movie apart from a DVD or standard def broadcast from an HD one on TV.  This is debatable though as we haven't really defined what the "average person" is but I honestly don't think they'll be able to tell.  Most will not know the difference or will be blinded by fanboy lenses or they'll simply follow the crowd into believe what they believe. 

As for those comparisions, Killzone is set up in stages so they can really add on the affects.  The other game is open world also and looks really good but I would say its all on the lighting and texture work, plus animation.  Also, we don't know the budgets involved in all these games but I would assume both of Sony's games are higher. 

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 01:28:10 AM »
Wrong. The average person can definitely tell the difference. And they can definitely tell the difference between SD and HD. Especially if you have them side by side. Casuals are blind, they'll be able to tell the difference.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »
Wrong. The average person can definitely tell the difference. And they can definitely tell the difference between SD and HD. Especially if you have them side by side. Casuals are blind, they'll be able to tell the difference.

I won't put words in his mouth, but I believe Mannypon is referring to studies such as this

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20091014/study-shows-people-difference-hd/

which largely imply otherwise. I fully confess that, unless the TV is fairly large, I myself usually can't tell the difference unless they're side by side (which they won't be for most folks who're playing videogames!).

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 01:38:23 AM »
Well as I stated we need to define the average person, to me the average person is the casual.  Also, of course anyone will be able to tell side by side but if they had the game at home with nothing to compare it to, they wouldn't be the wiser.  It happens all the time where people swear they have the best version simply out of fanboy idealism or simple wrong assumptions when in reality they could possibly have the worst. 

Unless you look online for direct comparisons, you'll never see them in the wild.  The average person will never go online to look up a comparison video or read up on a DF article explaining the finer details of how there is screen tearing here and a frame drop there or a resolution drop, geometry missing in such and such area. 

Heck, I'm a gamer and I never even knew that Darksiders 2 on the WiiU was missing affects from the PS360 releases until it was brought to my attention online. 

We'll agree to disagree though as this will come down to a discussion on what the average person can and can't tell which is an open ended argument that will not go anywhere.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »
Eh. I admit I can see more of a difference in Infamous than I can in Killzone but personally, I think the game looks fine. I've played games with lower graphical standards and enjoyed them before and it isn't like Monolith isn't trying with their graphics. Plus, the title is still at least a year away and further graphical improvements could be made. There have been plenty of E3's where a game has looked a bit rough and is very polished by the time it gets released. And what happens when every game and console start displaying photorealistic graphics everytime or do get indistinguishable from one another? What will be the big selling point then?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »

I won't put words in his mouth, but I believe Mannypon is referring to studies such as this

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20091014/study-shows-people-difference-hd/

which largely imply otherwise. I fully confess that, unless the TV is fairly large, I myself usually can't tell the difference unless they're side by side (which they won't be for most folks who're playing videogames!).

That sure is a great study, full of thousands of people that can reasonably stand for the rest of the country or the human race!

Nope, just two groups of thirty people that can somehow represent the millions of people in the United States. Just because its a study doesn't make it accurate or unbiased.

EDIT: Are you fucking kidding me? They displayed HD and SD content on a CRT television. THEY LOOK THE FUCKING SAME. Dude, that's an awful source and you should feel bad. My point definitely still stands.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »

EDIT: Are you fucking kidding me? They displayed HD and SD content on a CRT television. THEY LOOK THE FUCKING SAME.

No, they displayed SD content to both groups, but told one group that it was HD: said group believed it. That's...kind of the point.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
Once again, they need a larger control group.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
Once again, they need a larger control group.

Yeah, and I take serious issue with them using a CRT TV as their display device. OF COURSE people aren't going to see the difference between HD and SD on that piece of ****. It's like me saying that people can't discern the difference between Black & White and color movies based on a presentation where I broadcast a color movie on a B&W TV. It's sheer nonsense.

I also seem to remember a lot of people, especially Nintendo, around the Wii's launch claiming that there would be no visible distinction between the HD games on the PS3/360 and the SD games on the Wii.  I dare you not to laugh at anyone who would say that now.  Our perceptions of visual fidelity change with time, as does our mastery of it. Hell, just compare something like The Last of Us to a PS3 launch game like Resistance: Fall of Man. If the visual distinction's already there now, it's only going to get more prominent over time as games become more refined.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.