Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 11: Hypocritical Shaymin (UPDATED)  (Read 3894 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 11: Hypocritical Shaymin (UPDATED)
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:33:45 AM »
A 3.5 Hour Podcast after Returning from the Christmas Break?! It must be the Will of Stein's Gate!

Direct Download (mp3)

For the first cast of the New Year, Nintendo Free Radio enforced their resolution by bringing on a forum guest for the whole show. Stephen, Austen and Donald are joined by Remus "RazorKid" Harris for a Longcat-Sized New Business. Remus brings the love for classic Carroll with Alice: Madness Returns, modern platforming in Rayman Origins, and the taste of flesh with ZombiiU. Donald picks up the baton of the undead with Glitch... The Walking Dead (XBLA) and fires off his Christmas bounty before the unexpected golden shower of New Super Mario Bros 2.

Austen goes to town with Eh-pic Meh-ckey 2 and gives us a Disaster: Day of Crisis update (bearrorist threat level: red) before visiting the butcher in adventure game/dating sim Pandora's Tower and dropping a Vita doubleshot of Little Big Planet and DJMax Technica Tune. Stephen ends the round by providing the Western interpretation of giant robots in MechWarrior Online, wiping out Danica Patrick in Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed and takes notes on EscapeVektor and Gunman Clive, before answering the most important question of all: What is this thing that took up the Vita's 15 minutes at Sony's E3 2012 show, the Wonderbook?

If you survive past Now Posted, or became part of the undead in the process, the second half loads up on 80s and 90s nostalgia. Whatcha Watchin' opens with Remus's classic cartoon duo of Bobby's World and Akagi as well as touching base on 80s cartoons (cowabunga!), while Donald has the legend of Bo Jackson and survived Christmas at Ground Zero with the two good Home Alones and nerd blackface sitcom Big Bang Theory. Stephen boldly goes where nobody has gone before with Star Trek: The Next Generation and shows that sometime it's better to get money for nothing with Undercover Boss, while Austen goes Back In Time with Steins;Gate (yes, that spelling is correct) and doesn't Start The Fire with Shakugan no Shana Season 2 (tempting though it might be). An unexpectedly heated Feature Discussion springs from Remus's simple question: How has gaming changed for you since you were a kid? As usual, the Mushrooms provide the seventh course of this podcast feast, with hatred for GOTY selections and excessive hype balanced by a side of Christmas and film restoration love.

You can send your feedback by email to nintendofreeradio@gmail.com, leave a comment here or hit the hosts on Twitter (@donaldmick, @cericme, @broodwars64 and the guest @remus.harris). We're always looking for volunteers for the fourth chair, so let one of the regulars know if you're interested! But we will warn you... a long cast is LONG.

This show was edited by Austen Parkin and Stephen Shook. All music used under Fair Use permission.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:33:54 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 11: Hypocritical Shaymin
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:46:54 AM »
Now, because I usually like to leave a few videos to further elaborate on things I reference or talk about in an episode, here are some Youtube videos.

First off, the Summoner Geeks video I was referencing in our Crimson Shroud talk:

And here are two videos of DJMAX Technika Tune in action on the Vita. I don't feel like I really went into detail on that game as I had intended. Check them out!  :D

Probably my favorite song in the game, as cheesy as it is:

Yeah, DJMAX Technica Tune can get insane if you want it to be:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:29:40 PM by broodwars »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:12:51 AM »
Host seems to be a little flaky right now, we'll get that fixed up.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
Host seems to be a little flaky right now, we'll get that fixed up.

I don't know why it was being weird before, but I just checked it and it's working fine now;

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 11: Hypocritical Shaymin (UPDATED)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »
Alright, after getting some feedback on the episode's audio mix, we have an updated version of the episode up now at that Direct Download link with a tweaked audio mix that will hopefully make the 2nd half a bit more audible.  We hope you enjoy it!

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
I had a ball doing the podcast with you guys and was grateful for the opportunity to spout my opinions ;D. I am shocked and amazed at the editing job, I didn't think it could be shortened down to what it is now without losing a lot of content. I've only had time to listen to first hour so far and am looking forward to listening to rest at work tomorrow. I hope other community members come forward to join in.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »
I had a ball doing the podcast with you guys and was grateful for the opportunity to spout my opinions ;D . I am shocked and amazed at the editing job, I didn't think it could be shortened down to what it is now without losing a lot of content. I've only had time to listen to first hour so far and am looking forward to listening to rest at work tomorrow. I hope other community members come forward to join in.

You really don't want to know the things I had to do to cut 45 minutes out of the second half without cutting anything altogether noticeable.  :-X

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
It's plainly obvious that you guys have no taste in TV. Big Bang Theory IS a good show. I know you don't have good tastes in TV, BBT is one of the best shows on TV, and it gets much better over time. So I give a poison mushroom to you and your TV tastes.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
It's plainly obvious that you guys have no taste in TV. Big Bang Theory IS a good show. I know you don't have good tastes in TV, BBT is one of the best shows on TV, and it gets much better over time. So I give a poison mushroom to you and your TV tastes.

Hah! Looks like you touched a nerve there, Shaymin.  ;D

I haven't personally seen much of the show, but the thing that always strikes me is how the show is laughing at "nerd culture", not "with" them (as Weekend Confirmed also went on about in their last episode). There's just something mean-spirited about the show that rubs me the wrong way so I can't get into it.  The rest of my family, though, seems to find it amusing for that same reason.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
"My opinion of the show is the absolute objective truth. If you disagree, you are wrong and have awful taste. The show is great, because I say so, and I have no evidence to back that up."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
There is nothing mean spirited about the jokes. And if they were making fun of nerd culture, they wouldnt have the main characters be so successful and over time do well in love (main character Leonard has the smoking hot Penny as his GF).

LOL, I am surprised Inasano didn't bring up Community, like he always does when I talk about BBT.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
I love Community and think it's one of the best shows on TV, but I'm clearly in the minority based on the show's ratings. I think people should give it a chance if they haven't because it's witty and creative.

I don't dislike BBT because it's mean, although I can see where people who argue that are coming from. I dislike it because it's the same middle of the road comedy CBS always does. The reason it's popular and Community's not is because BBT appeals goes for the middle and Community goes for the fringe. Also, laugh tracks are terrible, and really shouldn't be in shows in this day and age. They really break up the flow and are essentially padding.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
I love Community and think it's one of the best shows on TV, but I'm clearly in the minority based on the show's ratings. I think people should give it a chance if they haven't because it's witty and creative.

I don't dislike BBT because it's mean, although I can see where people who argue that are coming from. I dislike it because it's the same middle of the road comedy CBS always does. The reason it's popular and Community's not is because BBT appeals goes for the middle and Community goes for the fringe. Also, laugh tracks are terrible, and really shouldn't be in shows in this day and age. They really break up the flow and are essentially padding.

That reminds me...I really should give Community a try one of these days. I keep meaning to see it, but I've never gotten around to it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
So the lesson here is,  To get episode feedback mention BBT or Community.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.