Author Topic: Playing SMB3 for 1st time and kinda hating it  (Read 21361 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Playing SMB3 for 1st time and kinda hating it
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
SMB3 is infinitely better than SMW, at least. I hate that game. The jumping felt way too floaty to me the last time I played it.

I could not disagree more. I like SMB3, but SMW is far better. The controls feel better, levels are better designed, the game looks better, the music is better, and jumping is spot-on (and I have played it on SNES, GBA, and Wii).

While I like how movement feels better in world, and have more fun playing it, the cape breaks a lot of the game.
eh the cape takes some degree of skill to use(vs the p-wing) and the game knows how to screw you over for using it if it wants to

http://youtu.be/mlSyCVl7bp8?t=1m26s killed in around 25 seconds flat,

That youtube video is a miserable example.  If you practice a little bit, you get high enough to fly above the top of the screen the entire level, and then the only chance of being hit is by a stray projectile.

Of course, there are several levels in the game that don't allow you the freedom to fly for long periods of times, but some of the harder levels are a 30 second affair if you have the cape and are able to keep you height going.
except some levels have a barrier preventing you from going off screen, cave levels also aren't very friendly to the cape, it can break the game but it takes practice to be skilled enough to do so, even then the game can screw with you

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
Most levels in SMW do not let you fly across the whole level. It's actually pretty rare. The ones that do are kinda fun. But the cape does still take more skill than the P-Wing.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »
Most levels in SMW do not let you fly across the whole level. It's actually pretty rare. The ones that do are kinda fun. But the cape does still take more skill than the P-Wing.

I'm not arguing that you can do the cape trick in every level, but I do think it's frequent enough to where it's noticeable. 

I agree the cape requires more skill over the P-Wing, but I've always viewed the P-Wing as a super secret power-up/instant win button.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
even then the cape doesn't give you anywhere near the amount of control offered by the p-wing, its usually more practical to have yoshi around for an extra hit....