Author Topic: Nintendo TVii Announced  (Read 8938 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo TVii Announced
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 08:45:59 PM »
One ring to rule them all!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »

Looks like all major cable and satellite companies are going to support this.  That makes this even more exciting I think.
Nintendo TVii will support "all" cable and dish carriers in the US and Canada, Nintendo director of strategic partnership Zach Fountain told Engadget this afternoon. He said that no major carriers are excluded, and the only requirement for signing up is inputting your cable company's account information to the Wii U. DVR and TiVO functionality are plugged in similarly, where users input information via web, and services resultantly pop up on the Wii U. Nintendo TVii launches with the Wii U on November 18 in the US and Canada for free, and remains exclusive to North America for the time being.

Good to know that more of the rumors where true.

Someone remind me to update the rumor thread at some point.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
Looks like all major cable and satellite companies are going to support this.  That makes this even more exciting I think.
Nintendo TVii will support "all" cable and dish carriers in the US and Canada, Nintendo director of strategic partnership Zach Fountain told Engadget this afternoon. He said that no major carriers are excluded, and the only requirement for signing up is inputting your cable company's account information to the Wii U. DVR and TiVO functionality are plugged in similarly, where users input information via web, and services resultantly pop up on the Wii U. Nintendo TVii launches with the Wii U on November 18 in the US and Canada for free, and remains exclusive to North America for the time being.

Good. I was wondering if having Directv would be a problem.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
This one simple, but very major addition to the Wii U console was used by me today to convince a good friend of mine (who's a DirectTV subscriber, and was VERY on the fence about this console) to get hyped about making a purchase in the near future. Seriously, he's jazzed about this thing now. He's even excited about the Pro Controller design, too. Guy's a HUGE Gears of War fan, and he thinks that controller would be great for a game like that. Of course, the GamePad would be better, but who am I to stop him from thinking so? :P

Anyway, new Nintendo fan imminent. Thought I'd let you guys know.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
My question is will it support Over the Air?  Over the Air has all the info needed to make this work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 11:46:33 PM »
After reading a bit more about this...

Honestly, I don't see why it couldn't work. You'd still input zip code info into the Wii U, and maybe whoever the local cable provider is (even if you don't get cable from them).

But I suppose we'll see as it draws closer to launch. If I could share with ya, Stephen, I would. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »
Man, this almost makes me want to think about subscribing to cable again...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 12:55:44 AM »
So right now it has:

Hulu+ (give me Hulu basic!)
Netflix
Amazon
Youtube
Tivo
Major Cable companies (Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, AT&T, etc)

They need to add: DirectTV, Dish Network, Crackle, Pandora, Digital Broadcast, Google Play, iTunes, XBMC, MMS...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 01:05:38 AM »
They need to add: DirectTV, Dish Network

"all" cable and dish carriers

Ahem. So those two are included. I don't see Google Play being included as Wii U is not an Android device. No way would Nintendo (or really Sony or Microsoft) would want to give the control Apple would want in exchange for iTunes.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
I'm not sure I get it yet.  What is TVii really?  Just some listings for the local Cable TV you subscribe to intermixed with the Amazon and Netflix (etc) catalogs? (And TIVO, if you have that)  Is it going to integrate with your Cable TV DVR?  Through magic (i.e. complex setup) it's going to send the IR commands to switch your TV inputs, (and audio system inputs) to get to the content you've selected?  Will they really be able to support so many devices? 

I think I like the Netflix, Amazon, etc services being mixed together to find all content, but I don't understand the TVii integration at all. 

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
Please tell me they will have HBO GO working on this.

This.
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
I wasn't sure where to mention this, but Kotaku has an interview up with Reggie. The most notable thing to me was that you can watch Netflix and Nintendo TVii on the GamePad, but NOT while playing a game. I presume the reverse is true as well and you can play a game on the GamePad, but cannot watch Netflix through the Wii U at the same time.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
Does this have anything to do with that picture someone uploaded awhile back of a prototype Wii U with coaxial input/output?
is your sanity...

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 12:47:09 AM »
I wasn't sure where to mention this, but Kotaku has an interview up with Reggie. The most notable thing to me was that you can watch Netflix and Nintendo TVii on the GamePad, but NOT while playing a game. I presume the reverse is true as well and you can play a game on the GamePad, but cannot watch Netflix through the Wii U at the same time.

Makes sense as no other device runs media programs and games simultaneously.  The function of zapping the game to the gamepad is only really the WiiU freeing the tv screen in which case you could just switch inputs and watch tv.  I can understand people being curious about being able to output game and media data together, but I hope that people don't get upset not being able to do so.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."