Author Topic: Miyamoto: Wii enhancements coming for hardcore gamers  (Read 13001 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Miyamoto: Wii enhancements coming for hardcore gamers
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 05:31:27 AM »
Posting on a forum is hardly comparable to participating in a focus group.  Nintendo isn't reading these forums to try to figure out whether Sonic should be in Smash Bros.  We discuss all things Nintendo here because we're fans, and it's fun for us.

However, my main point was that the Everybody Votes channel isn't useful as a surveying tool.  A survey asks two kinds of questions: questions to determine what demographic you fall into, and questions to determine your opinions.  The latter aren't very useful without the former.  The only information Nintendo has about me when I answer a question on the EV channel is that I have access to a Wii and my sex, based on my Mii.  They don't know whether I'm a kindergartener or a CEO.  Survey questions are also typically more complex than yes or no.

It's just a silly diversion.  I admit that "Red or blue?" is a dull question, but there have been better ones.  I'm particularly hoping that my "Which animal would you rather be mauled by? Mountain lion or Grizzly bear?" submission gets selected soon.  If it doesn't interest you at all, that's perfectly understandable.  You can let Nintendo know what you think about it right here.  And if you're really jonesing for a way to give Nintendo feedback on your Wii, you can add that link to your Internet Channel favorites.  

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 05:52:11 AM »
I didn't read all the posts, but I read the majority of them. So if someone already said this then pardon me.

What really interested me about the article, besides the things I already read, was this statement:

I think that will give rise to more social-based communities including those created by users, which is going to be a very interesting and exciting area for us to explore.

The two things I get out of this are:

1. Instead of just creating a "Home" and selling it to us, Nintendo is going to let us create our own environments which we can then share with others. Personally I think it will be Mii Plaza personalizations. I would create an NWR themed room and invite all of you!

2. The latter part of the quote  starting from which, is a little ambiguous. However, my own interpretation is that Nintendo (either through the voting channel or just observation of the user created communities) will be providing us with things we want instead of assuming what it is we want. Whether or not such information will be applied to gaming, or just the communities is of course entirely up to Nintendo, but I hope it can be used for both.

Edit: Brain faster than hands.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Acefondu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »
Bear, your argument to the EV channel not sufficing as a way to gather statistics is laughable. It's a poll system, not a survey or focus group. There's plenty of ways to understand the consumer and polls are one. Lots of companies use polls as a way to measure the consumers wants.

Don't tell me a channel created for the sole purpose of voting and measuring by country and state is not a plausable way to gather information. That's just outright ignorant.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 07:48:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Acefondu
Bear, your argument to the EV channel not sufficing as a way to gather statistics is laughable.

Let's keep this civil.

It's a poll system, not a survey or focus group.

That's essentially what I said.

There's plenty of ways to understand the consumer and polls are one. Lots of companies use polls as a way to measure the consumers wants.

Show me a meaningful poll that consists of one question with only two possible answers.

Don't tell me a channel created for the sole purpose of voting and measuring by country and state is not a plausable way to gather information. That's just outright ignorant.

Then I'll tell you the channel was created for the sole purpose of providing entertainment and that Nintendo does not regard it as a way to gather information.  Whether or not it could be used that way is, therefore, irrelevant.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
Someone at Nintendo is in receipt of all of the poll questions submitted by Wii users. I know I can't be the only one who has sent in questions of substance in regards to the Wii and future services/content.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 07:55:48 AM »
Now you're just avoiding your own comments. Irrelevant? It's only irrelevent because Nintendo said so. You on the other hand said poll statistics aren't a viable resource. They are quite a viable resource.

We're talking about the video game industry here, two choices for a poll is perfectly legit. "Would you rather play a game... Online; Offline?"

Boy, I'd love to see the answer to that one. But Nintendo doesn't have the balls to see what the answer may be.

You can't tell me questions like that aren't useful information, two different answers or fifty. In my 3 years now as a Marketing major I can attest that less questions are sometimes better in certain situations. This being one of them under the guise of an entertaining medium no one would fill out a 30 page survey.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Then I'll tell you the channel was created for the sole purpose of providing entertainment and that Nintendo does not regard it as a way to gather information.  Whether or not it could be used that way is, therefore, irrelevant.

This is what it ultimately comes down to.  Miyamoto mentioned how pleasantly surprised he was when he found his wife playing with the voting channel one night.  I don't think casual gamers would really care much about "meaningful" questions.
GOREGASM!

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Miyamoto: Wii enhancements coming for hardcore gamers
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 08:36:53 AM »
i'll have to agree with the gun accessory theory. i think he is talking about more things to plug into the wii-mote, weather they are guns, FPS keypads, Mech controls, body armor, whatever, that will be big, shiney and expensive (therefor, hardcore).

that being said, i am waiting for time crisis 4. and the mech controls.

oh and give me a joystick / throttle and freespace 2 and i'd giggle from now til my dying day.  

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 08:58:21 AM »

Now you're just avoiding your own comments. Irrelevant? It's only irrelevent because Nintendo said so.

Precisely.  That's enough to make it not matter.  I do not believe Nintendo has anyone looking through the millions of submissions they get through the EV channel for questions like "Would you buy more Virtual Console games if they were cheaper?"  If you think Virtual Console games should be cheaper, for example, tell Nintendo through a channel that they actually use for that sort of thing.  I provided a link earlier.  Complaining that the EV channel doesn't serve a purpose that Nintendo never had in mind for it does not make sense.

You on the other hand said poll statistics aren't a viable resource. They are quite a viable resource.

I said the statistics that could possibly be gathered through the EV channel are practically useless.  That is not the same as claiming that no polls are useful.

We're talking about the video game industry here, two choices for a poll is perfectly legit. "Would you rather play a game... Online; Offline?"

Boy, I'd love to see the answer to that one. But Nintendo doesn't have the balls to see what the answer may be.

Please demonstrate two things.  1.  How useful the answer to that question would be.  2.  How Nintendo not using the EV channel to ask that question means that they lack the cojones to ask it in another fashion.

You can't tell me questions like that aren't useful information, two different answers or fifty. In my 3 years now as a Marketing major I can attest that less questions are sometimes better in certain situations. This being one of them under the guise of an entertaining medium no one would fill out a 30 page survey.

I think you may have mistyped that last sentence, and I apologize if I've misinterpreted it, but I think you meant to say that nobody would fill out a 30 page survey under the guise of an entertainment medium although they would fill out a short poll.  I agree with that to a certain extent.  Would people be eager to answer short market research polls a few times a week, though?  I know I'd delete the EV channel if that's all it was good for.  Also, if you're arguing that fewer questions or answers are better in this case because it's an entertainment feature, then that has little to do with whether fewer questions or answers are better for the research.  There's the problem of getting responses at all, but beyond that, the quality of the responses is important, too.

Enough of the silly questions on the EV channel have been unanswerable by me because of the limited number of options that I would have very little confidence in any data that came from it.  For example, the question of whether you brush your teeth before or after breakfast seems like a perfect binary question.  You can either brush before or after, right?  What if you don't eat breakfast?  The question becomes unanswerable.  Do you prefer to watch basketball or soccer on TV?  I don't like to watch either of them, but I find basketball slightly less unappealing.  If someone were going to decide what to show on TV, would my answer be of any use?  The lack of options caused the data to be spoiled.

Your own example of whether people prefer online or offline games leaves out the possibility of a middle ground.  What if I have no preference?  Which answer do I choose?  Wouldn't the data be a lot more useful if there were an option for indifference, preventing my vote from being spoiled?  Wouldn't it be even more useful if the question was something like, "What percentage of your game playing time is spent playing online games?" with several possible answers?  Wouldn't that be yet more useful if you could also ask me how many hours a week I spend playing games?  The EV channel is not designed, intended, or needed to do that kind of thing.  It's just there for fun.

By the way, I apologize to everyone else for how far off topic this has strayed.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:53 AM »

Oh for GOSH SAKES. Talk about a false dichotomy, and such a limited scope as to be useless.

Look, I don't know about you hardcore gamers, but I've got one foot in gaming and one foot in non-gaming. I use Everybody Votes RELIGIOUSLY every weekend when I get the chance to, especially since I don't have Wii internet access at my dorms. half an hour's dicking around on that is a great, non-gaming, relaxing, diversion. And I'm still waiting to see if they'll put up my "Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?" question to boot.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 09:08:06 AM »
We can agree Nintendo meant this to be fun. Well, I don't know who finds answering dumb questions fun. Challenge me with something, that's fun.

And yes, less is more in this situation. It narrows the statistics to a limited answer for a direct response question. If the question isn't direct, "like brushing your teeth" then it deserves to be thrown away for how poorly it was written.

How is there a middle ground for online or offline games? People have a preference for one or the other. Sure the question could be worded different like asking preference, but the type of game shouldn't matter that's not the point of the question I presented. And I'll agree that two options is a bit limited, but ground can still be covered with that.

I apologise for any gramatical errors, I am at work...lol.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »
"Oh for GOSH SAKES. Talk about a false dichotomy, and such a limited scope as to be useless.

Look, I don't know about you hardcore gamers, but I've got one foot in gaming and one foot in non-gaming. I use Everybody Votes RELIGIOUSLY every weekend when I get the chance to, especially since I don't have Wii internet access at my dorms. half an hour's dicking around on that is a great, non-gaming, relaxing, diversion. And I'm still waiting to see if they'll put up my "Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?" question to boot."

False dichotomy? Ghosts and spirits? What if I believe in Vampires? Red and Blue? What about Green? I guess what irritates me most about your post is the overused phrase of false dichotomy not to mention how hypocritical its use turned out to be.  

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 09:44:57 AM »
What if it is a new controller that doesn't plug into the Wii-mote?

A completely seperate controller that utilizes the sensor bar, maybe the gun(I forgot what the name is) is just that, it could be something else also (not a gun but some  other controller).
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »

We can agree Nintendo meant this to be fun. Well, I don't know who finds answering dumb questions fun. Challenge me with something, that's fun.

I can't believe people don't understand the everybody votes channel.  The point is not to give you hard questions or to trick you into doing market research(awful idea by both execution and the kind of data you would get).  The whole point is to see how "in touch" you are with the rest of the world/Wii owners.  It take a few seconds everyday and you get to see how your answers compare to others and your overall answers as well.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
I can't believe people don't understand the everybody votes channel.  The point is not to give you hard questions or to trick you into doing market research(awful idea by both execution and the kind of data you would get).  The whole point is to see how "in touch" you are with the rest of the world/Wii owners.  It take a few seconds everyday and you get to see how your answers compare to others and your overall answers as well.
Exactly.  The voting isn't the fun part; the predicting and the viewing of the subsequent results are what makes it worthwhile.

Plus you learn stuff.  For instance, I did not know that more people who participate in the Everybody Votes Channel play a musical instrument than not.  You learn something every day.  I also found it interesting (and funny) that the only states that have more residents who prefer mountains over beaches contain the Rocky Mountains.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 11:24:55 AM »

This question, as well as any question from the Everybody Votes channel, is completely unusable from a research stand point.

Think about this, those that use the channel already have internet access, would that not biased the poll data? What about those who do not have access to the channel, do their opinions not matter, and would this not biased the data more? How many Wii owners have access to the internet anyway? How many of the Wii owners that do use the channel would use all six voters and thus swing the vote in a way they want, adding even more bias?

In my opinion the channel was meant for, and is only usable for, entertainment purposes.

As for the discussion of Miyamoto's comment on some "enhancements" for the hardcore gamers all I have is this to say: what the hell is a hardcore gamer? I really cannot stand that label, nor can I stand most of those who self identify themselves as "hardcore" gamers. Most of them think that playing a lot of Square Enix games makes them sort of awesome gaming god, but really all they are is nothing more then a snobby elitist punk. I have on many occasions heard these people say that one of the most important parts of a game is the story, and in one instance this was in a discussion about 2D fighting games!? In my opinion you hardly ever need a great story to make a great game, and a bad story hardly ever sinks a great  game. What makes these people even more funny is that they often site some post 6 Final Fantasy as having the best story in a game ever. I find this horrendously funny because these people say that story is one of the most important things in a game yet they don't have any clue what a good story is.

I think I am going to stop right now before I go into a thread breaking rant about all the ills in gaming and how the "hardcore" gamer is in some way a reason for them. I would also like to add here that I do not dislike all Square Enix games, they are fine for the most part, I just use them because most of the "hardcore" tend to hold them up as some sort of banner. The last thing I want to say is that I am well aware that almost all of the preceding paragraph was opinion, and that just as I am entitled to my opinion, those people are entitled to theirs, no Matter how wrong it may be.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »

"Oh for GOSH SAKES. Talk about a false dichotomy, and such a limited scope as to be useless.

Look, I don't know about you hardcore gamers, but I've got one foot in gaming and one foot in non-gaming. I use Everybody Votes RELIGIOUSLY every weekend when I get the chance to, especially since I don't have Wii internet access at my dorms. half an hour's dicking around on that is a great, non-gaming, relaxing, diversion. And I'm still waiting to see if they'll put up my "Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?" question to boot."

False dichotomy? Ghosts and spirits? What if I believe in Vampires? Red and Blue? What about Green? I guess what irritates me most about your post is the overused phrase of false dichotomy not to mention how hypocritical its use turned out to be.

Ah, but here's the thing: my question is for shits and giggles. You want your question to be serious. For a throw-away lets-have-fun question like mine, you can have simple dichotomies because you're just defining the terms for yourself and having fun and seeing where it leads to. For your question, which you intend to be taken seriously, any SERIOUS and RATIONAL decision would have to take into account myriad factors that simply aren't accounted for. Thus, any choice from 2 different answers would have worth only in entertainment, and not as a well thought-out, rational decision. Just look at how difficult the "should we ask serious questions" issue is turning out to be here on the forums.

Not to mention all the sample demographics problems.

Originally posted by: anubis6789
As for the discussion of Miyamoto's comment on some "enhancements" for the hardcore gamers all I have is this to say: what the hell is a hardcore gamer? I really cannot stand that label, nor can I stand most of those who self identify themselves as "hardcore" gamers.

EA has a casual games site called Pogo Island. Their "Casual Players" play a TON.

I would also add that these players spend a lot of time on the site. Free Pogo players are spending an average of 35 minutes on the site per day and Club Pogo players spend more than 12 hours per week.

Incidentally, about 35+ minutes is how much time I spend on the Everybody Votes channel every weekend when I can access it.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2007, 07:53:46 AM »
The EV channel could be usefull if wii users mobilized and decided enmasse to submit the same "question"

if you have 10,000 people all asking the channel "If you must use friend codes, let it be once and not per game" "get some online high scoreboards" or "put more rpgs on the VC" Nintendo might pay a bit  more attention

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 08:06:18 AM »
Now that's what I call emergent gameplay.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@ol.com

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 08:08:27 AM »

Originally posted by: vherub
The EV channel could be usefull if wii users mobilized and decided enmasse to submit the same "question"

if you have 10,000 people all asking the channel "If you must use friend codes, let it be once and not per game" "get some online high scoreboards" or "put more rpgs on the VC" Nintendo might pay a bit  more attention

Nintendo's contact page could also be useful if 10,000 people all sent the same comment.  Why is there this bizarre compulsion to use the EV channel to do this?  If you submit questions like that, you are spamming up the system and reducing its value to the people who do like it.  If you can't handle the concept of the EV channel -- if it offends you to the core of your being that Nintendo would ask you whether you prefer cats or dogs -- then just delete it from your Wii.

I don't know how this became my pet issue, but I'm done.  I have a feeling I'll earn a mod's ire for perpetuating off topic discussion.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 03:43:37 AM »
When I read Wii enhancements.  I did not think Shiggy was talking about hardware or firmware upgrades.  He was talking about games that are actually using the new controller in means that hardcore gamers would appreciate.

Specifically, I am sure Shiggy is talking about games like Metroid Prime: Corruption that will bring a new level of interaction to a hardcore gamers game.  And perhaps even some of the 3rd party offerings that are finally getting the concept more, and learning how to use the Wiimote to subtly enhance games instead of making crazy concept controls that don't always work.

However, IF Nintendo is enhancing hardware or firmware, then color me intrigued and excited.

Offline the1st_fret

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2007, 01:25:02 AM »
I hope you're right. I'm sick of having to do a cartwheel every time I want to reload my gun or place an item. I'll say this, using motion for control does feel great, But you don't want to be doing giant gestures all the time. I got very bored and annoyed of pushing doors open in Red Steel, and was even worse when the door didn't open but my character Reloaded instead

Ooh! And I know what a hardcore gamer is. Its someone who really enjoys video games

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2007, 06:34:25 AM »

Ooh! And I know what a hardcore gamer is. Its someone who really enjoys video games

Could you not just call yourself a gamer with out the hardcore part and still convey the same meaning to other people? The only reason the term "hardcore" is added is to make elitist gamers feel better about themselves.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
"Hardcore" gameer don't actually play games, they just critique them.