Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 296512 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #500 on: May 22, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »
Well I LIKE Metroid Prime. I just can't stand all the backtracking and stuff you have to do. Drives me crazy.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #501 on: May 22, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
Congrats on a new PHAIL THREAD.

Time to close it and cancel the Prime series.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 22, 2007, 11:31:49 PM »
"I just can't stand all the backtracking and stuff you have to do."

So you play Metroid games why? =\
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #503 on: May 23, 2007, 05:59:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"I just can't stand all the backtracking and stuff you have to do."

So you play Metroid games why? =\

Or even Zelda for that matter?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 23, 2007, 08:17:03 AM »
I'm down with backtracking in a 2D environment like the 2D Metroids, but in Prime, backtracking just took so ridiculously long, I wanted to kill myself. Also, you don't backtrack nearly as much in Zelda as in Prime.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »
Why Prime didn't have teleporters like Metroidvania is beyond me.

God knows, it makes sense for the story.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 23, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »
Maybe its just me but teleporters kind of cheapen the game, The only metroidvania I've played is Dawn of Sorrow and the game would be a pain without them, but the game is inferior in level design compared to metroid. all areas in metroid games are interconnected very well, the worst in that regard are the 3D metroids and still I didn't had any trouble getting anywhere fast, you just have to know your map.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 23, 2007, 04:37:41 PM »
I told you.. you should have gotten Hotel Dusk
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 23, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
Maybe its just me but teleporters kind of cheapen the game, The only metroidvania I've played is Dawn of Sorrow and the game would be a pain without them, but the game is inferior in level design compared to metroid. all areas in metroid games are interconnected very well, the worst in that regard are the 3D metroids and still I didn't had any trouble getting anywhere fast, you just have to know your map.

They may cheapen the game, but they beat the hell out of lumbering from one end of the map to the other.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 23, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »
Lumbering isn't lumbering if the environment is a celebration of your navigational and movement abilities. Shortcuts opened up via exploration and use of abilities strike me as magical things.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 23, 2007, 05:25:43 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
I told you.. you should have gotten Hotel Dusk

Its your fault people, why did you buy it out!? around here it costs $60 I simply can't afford it my only chance was to get it over there in the states.

Catlevania is good though, I went from liking the game to love it when I heard the original theme remix, I don't regret getting it, but the overall level is very linear, when you play metroid games it constantly surprises you by connecting the new area you are just exploring with an old area, you really don't have to go to one extreme of the map to another because there are no extremes, it connects all and by the end it goes full circle, you can get to the final boss from the starting point without having to travel all the areas, as opposed to a castlevania without teleporters.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #511 on: May 24, 2007, 12:11:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Lumbering isn't lumbering if the environment is a celebration of your navigational and movement abilities. Shortcuts opened up via exploration and use of abilities strike me as magical things.

Smartest new post I've seen in this thread.  There's still hope yet.

I hope MP3 is like Super Metroid in that it has NO hint system whatsoever, just to drive you handholding-linearity-loving-weaklings nuts.  Ensure that you venture into the UNKNOWN instead some blip on an empty map to induce some sort of expectation.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #512 on: May 24, 2007, 02:18:33 AM »
Well we know that Samus is going to be exploring several different planets.  I am willing to bet that these planets are going to have well defined, tight level design...that will hold many secrets to those who want to explore after getting new items and power ups, but will not be crazy backtracking like in Prime 2, or potentially even Prime 1.

Since we are dealing with planets I don't know how you could interconnect all the worlds together, unless they have a teleport system.  

Personally, this makes the most sense to me.  I love the idea of going to several planets with a single mission, exploring and moving on.  Then I choose if I want to go back.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #513 on: May 24, 2007, 05:24:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
I never finished Prime, and never played Prime 2. Am I a bad person?
YES.

*Kairon wins best post in the thread award*
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 24, 2007, 05:34:02 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

For those of us who prefer to spend our entertainment time being, you know, entertained, lumbering is still lumbering.

Originally posted by: Professional 666

This assumes that the "handholding weaklings" will be buying the game in the first place.

However, Retro already apologized for MP2 and promised 3 won't have anywhere near the amount of backtracking, so the weaklings win anyway.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 24, 2007, 06:10:20 AM »

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 24, 2007, 06:37:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

For those of us who prefer to spend our entertainment time being, you know, entertained, lumbering is still lumbering.

I'm sorry you get bored when you have to think, but for some of us, it is really entertaining to figure out things by exploring, I really don't mind the key/artifact hunts to be replaced by a better puzzle mechanic, but I wasn't bored when I was doing them. And those were the worst offenders, if you are that concerned about the general backtracking of metroid games that you need teleporters maybe you should look elsewhere for your fun.

Oh and of course there will be a hint system but as before it will be an option.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 24, 2007, 07:12:45 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
I'm sorry you get bored when you have to think

Pay attention.

Originally posted by: me, one page ago
I love the puzzles and bosses (which ARE puzzles in their own right) in the Metroid games. They're clever and typically awesome, but the sheer amount of walking around between these puzzles and bosses was so boring that I couldn't finish it.

I love having to outthink a game, but when I'm walking through an area I walked through three times already, having to kill the same irritating enemy which I already killed three times, there's no thinking involved.

If I wanted a game heavily laden with repetitive, monotonous encounters which forces you to trudge back and forth through the same areas and calls it "gameplay", I wouldn't have quit World of Warcraft.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 24, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Well we know that Samus is going to be exploring several different planets.  I am willing to bet that these planets are going to have well defined, tight level design...that will hold many secrets to those who want to explore after getting new items and power ups, but will not be crazy backtracking like in Prime 2, or potentially even Prime 1.

Since we are dealing with planets I don't know how you could interconnect all the worlds together, unless they have a teleport system.  

Personally, this makes the most sense to me.  I love the idea of going to several planets with a single mission, exploring and moving on.  Then I choose if I want to go back.

<Begin Untruth>
Samus will have the ability to go to a different dimension, which will be labelled Bizarro.  In Bizarro everywhere that is space in the normal dimension there will be planet and vice versa.  In the process a third Samus comes about.  This one is Male with a Nuclear family that doesn't love him and is a private in the local Military.  Did I mention that he has the ability to drain the life force from things?  In this dimension the "Metroids" are raised like cattle because of their large life force and Herbivoric habits.

Upon entering this dimension Samus Prime will have open up a hole that will be found by Samus Male while Dark Samus has been reeking havoc there already.  Samus Male will learn that in the "Normal" dimensions that he will register to all scanners as Samus Prime.  Visual identification is in fact the only way to tell Prime and Male apart without the armor.  Each armor has a distinctive look and a variety of unique abilities as par for the game.

With these storyline elements in place the game will contain little in-game backtracking.  Instead you will have the ability to play through the storyline as each of the Sami.  In fact you may also play Co-op and the most exciting feature Interactive Adventure.

Interactive Adventure may be played in 1 of 3 ways.  Same Machine, WiiConnect24, and LAN Play/Same time Online.  Using these three different play schemes 3 unique players will be able to play through the game with 1 one of the three Sami while having the other two effect the environment around them through their actions.  This will be handled in different ways dependent on the form of play.
  • In Same Machine play, the save files of the other two players will be read to determine their progress and the state of the world.
  • In Wiiconnect24 Mode a nightly update of the 2 friends you are playing with will be recieved and that data will determine the state of the world.
  • The most exciting mode is LAN Play/Same Time Online.  This mode supports 3 players, or 2 and a computer, each player will play on their machine the individual stories of the 3 Sami.  So instead of going against a computer version of the 2 you will be going against your friends at random times and during special story convergences.  Also fighting with them for general enhancements and dealing with the environmental changes brought about by the other Sami.

As you can see a lot of time and care have been put in to make this the most unique Metroid ever.  Especial with its added dimension that builds and expands off the Light/Dark mechanic of Metroid Prime 2.</End Untruth>(Hopefully)  It will also be the least eye intensive with its rock solid 60 frames per second and wide screen support.  It's good to be Prime.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 24, 2007, 12:50:56 PM »
I realize I'm being a dick in this thread, but this is the umpteenth time I've been ridiculed due to my refusal to finish MP2.

If you enjoy it, fine. I'm not going to question your enjoyment of it, but don't question ME or anyone else who found the game too tedious.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 24, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »
I love the metroid series, I loved Metroid Prime, but I never beat Metroid Prime 2 either....I didn't find the game that entertaining for some reason. ::shrugs:

Super Metroid is stlll hands down the best in the series IMHO.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 24, 2007, 01:29:24 PM »
My hope for Metroid Prime 3 is that Retro is given more freedom in designing the game. Miyamoto was responsible Prime going 1st person and Kensuke Tanabe, who worked on A Link to the Past, was responsible for (surprise!) the Light/Dark Aether concept. While I think 1st person worked, I still would've like to have seen how Metroid would play in 3rd person. I guess I just want to see more of Retro Studio's expression of the Metroid series rather than what NCL tells them to do. The fact that there's voice acting is perhaps some proof that NCL has relented a little.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #522 on: May 24, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
"I love having to outthink a game, but when I'm walking through an area I walked through three times already, having to kill the same irritating enemy which I already killed three times, there's no thinking involved."

Did you forget the main character gets by, by shooting things?  For like, the entire series?

"I love the puzzles and bosses (which ARE puzzles in their own right) in the Metroid games. They're clever and typically awesome, but the sheer amount of walking around between these puzzles and bosses was so boring that I couldn't finish it."

Puzzletastic bosses in Super Metroid?  Hardly.  Stop generalizing.  jump, duck, and shoot. that's all.

You make walking sound like a bad thing.  It's like you didn't try to traverse quickly or you didn't really know where you're supposed to go and you pay an excessive amount of attention to every square-foot of wall and floor you walk by.  You talk as if you had to stop at every enemy you meet, have tea, spend at least 30 seconds strafing around it to hit the weak spot, then finally kill it.  But all you had to do was jump over it and roll yourself to the next blue door (or screw attack, even).

But you are right that the inclusion of a teleport would alleviate the backtracking impression.  But it would have to be lightning fast like Talking to Midna, and the locations not as generous.   The teleport rooms in SotN and Circle of the Moon were handy, but I felt they took forever to reach, despite the 2D gameplay (Alucard was slow, and Circle had a more convoluted level design).  All that other junk people mentioned about highlighting spots on maps would be helpful too.

Be careful what you wish for.  I don't want MP3's game worlds to be a disappointingly predictable series of dungeon rooms with little to no branching, like what we got in Toilet Princess.

I personally like the convoluted nature of MP2.  More places and more interesting ways of hiding secrets, and less gigantic arena rooms with big pockets of empty air space.

EDIT:  Is that the best crab you could find?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 24, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666

HIT IT IN THE WEAKSPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE! /oldmeme

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #524 on: May 24, 2007, 02:24:54 PM »
There are fish that can eat that thing whole.

Funny how it looks appropriate in a Metroid game.