Poll

Which of these DS games have you played or bought?

1. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (93)
2. Flipnote Studio (93)
3. Chrono Trigger (92)
4. Mario Kart DS (91)
5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (90)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (90)
7. Advance Wars: Dual Strike (90)
8. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (89)
9. New Super Mario Bros. (89)
10. Meteos (88)
I have played and/or own each of these games
I have not played or bought any of these games

Author Topic: The Top 10 DS Games (According to MetaCritic)  (Read 2485 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
The Top 10 DS Games (According to MetaCritic)
« on: October 20, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »

Here is the "Best of DS games" list according to Metacritic. The Metascore is shown in parenthesis after the title. Post below to discuss your experiences with these games.

Do you agree with this ranking?

What missing games are in your DS top ten?

Which game on this list is your favorite? Least favorite?

Did you play these on another console? Which one?

Any of these on your backlog?

What's up with Flipnote?

Which console should we look at next?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: The Top 10 DS Games (According to MetaCritic)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 11:38:16 AM »
Do you agree with this ranking?
No. I don’t think aggregated scores is really the best method for ranking anything.

What missing games are in your DS top ten?
Not a full list: the other Castlevania games, Contra 4, Lunar Knights, any mainline Pokémon (I only have Platinum but haven’t played it much), Tetris DS, and The World Ends with You.

Which game on this list is your favorite? Least favorite?
Favorite: Dawn of Sorrow.
Least favorite: Flipnote Studios isn’t even really a game.

Did you play these on another console? Which one?
Only Chrono Trigger on SNES. In fact, I never completed it on DS.

A lot of DS games aren’t available on other consoles, and if they are (i.e. Chinatown Wars), they have the DS functions removed.

Any of these on your backlog?
Yeah… my backlog is almost discouraging. Not sure I’ll complete most of those games. I’m willing to give it the ol’ college try.

To be specific: Bowser’s Inside Story and Chinatown Wars.

What's up with Flipnote?
In what capacity? Wasn’t Flipnote Studios the app pedophiles in Japan were using to contact children?

Otherwise, it was neat to doodle. I was too lazy to make fun animations. Others made some awesome stuff though.

Which console should we look at next?
My vote is on Super Nintendo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:24:47 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 12:06:27 PM »
I only played three of those games: Mario Kart, Zelda and NSMB.  None of them really stuck with me.  I have played Chrono Trigger but not the DS version.

At the time I was very disappointed in the DS but later grew to love it when using the backwards compatibility of the 3DS.  Turns out I was playing the wrong games.  When the DS came out I was still a young man and my attitude towards videogames was to play all the top games across virtually all genres.  On the 3DS I was in my 30's and I was less adventurous and more interested in just playing the types of games I like best.  I also find that I don't do well with action games on a handheld because I tend to move the controller, and thus the screen I'm looking at, too much.  For handheld systems I like to stick to RPGs, visual novels and puzzle games and in general my gaming tastes have moved in that direction.

So that's more what I went with on the 3DS.  And then I started going backwards to the DS and played games I had missed the first time around like Ghost Trick, Etrian Odyssey, 999, the Picross and the Layton series.  Turns out there is a whole bunch of great stuff I was missing because I was sticking to Mario and Zelda games that didn't really click with me.  Now I tend to blur the DS and 3DS library together since I play it all on my 3DS but both systems have really impressive libraries.  The key thing, which the Switch also has, but Nintendo consoles typically didn't have when the third party support was weak, is variety.  There are lots of game across lots of genres and that's what makes a great library.  If you like videogames the DS has something for you.  Not necessarily the same thing I want or someone else wants but there is something for you.

For what console to do next with this Metacritic topic, it needs to be something from the 21st century because there isn't a significant amount of online reviews before that.  I vote for the 3DS since I just sung the praises of that system.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:29:35 PM »
I have all of these except for GTA and Flipnote Studio. Overall, I think this list turned out better than the GameCube one, but still probably doesn't represent most of what people would consider the best games. Similar to Ian Sane, I have a 3DS and not a DS, so the two libraries kind of blend together for me. There are a lot of games I still haven't played yet, but right now my own personal top ten would probably look something like:

10. Pokémon HeartGold Version
9. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
8. Picross 3D
7. New Super Mario Bros.
6. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
3. Advance Wars Dual Strike
2. Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

Wasn’t Flipnote Studios the app pedophiles in Japan were using to contact children?
No. You're thinking of Swapnote for 3DS, which had online features.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 12:48:41 PM »
No. You're thinking of Swapnote for 3DS, which had online features.
Ah, okay. I doubt I’ll ever not mix up those two. I’m not even sure at this point if I even used Flipnote Studio on DSi. Maybe I only used Flipnote Studio on 3DS. I googled this and I’m even more confused. What is real anymore? Am I real? Is everything cake?

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 11:16:39 AM »
Of these games, I have only played New Super Mario Bros., which I played on 3DS through backwards compatibility, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, which I played on Wii U VC. I thought both of these were great games and recommend them.

I am interested in Castlevania, Chrono Trigger, and Meteos but don't have access to them currently.

Here are the top ten DS games by user score
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (9.7)
  • Metal Torrent (9.6)
  • Pokémon SoulSilver (9.2)
  • Pokémon HeartGold (9.1)
  • Chrono Trigger (9.0)
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (9.0)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (9.0)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (9.0)
  • Pokémon Platinum (8.9)
  • Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (8.9)